Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
fuuuuuck the new episode of From was, as the cool kids say, turnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Disposable Scud posted:

Is that good or bad?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Oasx posted:

Is that good or bad?

Good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha Scud I only just noticed your av, that rocks

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So in From, if a talisman works in a van, that means they could just build a bunch of bubble boy outfits with a ward inside if they want to walk around at night, right

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There are a limited number of talismans, and they can't make any more. So they could, theoretically, make one, but probably not any more.

They'd also run into the problem of potentially losing the talisman in the woods, should the user become coerced into dropping their guard (which is apparently relatively easy).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jVptZCxjqU
This is a fun video where Allison Pregler (who does a long running Baywatch review series on Youtube) goes over the changes made when Baywatch was remastered into HD.

Woof, that's a really rough release. Great vid.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I'm completly sold on Welcome to Flatch after watching first 7 episodes. I love the two leads and Aya loving kills in every scene.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah after the first episode, I completely turned around on it. There’s another 7 to come too.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sekhmnet posted:

The Mortal Kombat movie that came out last year was fun to watch; but I don't know if it was 'good'. For an action movie it was just sort of average in that regard.

Talking about the 90s one

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I really really hope it gets picked up for a second season

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/navalny/status/1506247460410302472

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Catching up on HBO's My Brilliant Friend.

And, look, I know Atlanta is out this week and that's brilliant and exciting and I'll probably love it a lot, but I still think this show is the best show on TV.

Lila is my hero.

Edit: Please tell me it's not just Esco and I alone watching this show. IT HAS A MAX RICHTER SCORE!!!!

MAX RICHTER!!!

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 22, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Catching up on HBO's My Brilliant Friend.

And, look, I know Atlanta is out this week and that's brilliant and exciting and I'll probably love it a lot, but I still think this show is the best show on TV.

Lila is my hero.

Edit: Please tell me it's not just Esco and I alone watching this show. IT HAS A MAX RICHTER SCORE!!!!

MAX RICHTER!!!

I haven’t started s3 yet :( I’m really excited to get to it but I didn’t like book 3 as much as the previous two so we’ll see

But yes watch this show everyone for gently caress’s sake

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Just started watching the Shield again. Such a great show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bawitdabadaangadang diggy diggy

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

External Organs posted:

Fringe watch update, my wife and I finished season 1 and watched the first episode of season 2 last night. Holy poo poo this show keeps getting better. Can't believe they cast LEONARD NIMOY!!??? as William Bell. I have no issue at all imagining him and John Noble doing an absolute truckload of hallucinogenic drugs in the 70s...

I started watching Fringe because of the discussion here, and was sad to learn today that the search thread function displays posts but doesn't respect their spoiler tags. Whoopsie.

About 3/4rd of the way through season 1 at this point, I manage to keep watching it late at night and falling asleep during episodes and having to rewind them and see it all which is probably not the best way to watch a show with a complex mythology. Enjoying it so far though.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

Bawitdabadaangadang diggy diggy

I just want to see Chiklis say, "Su casa es no más. Su vida es no más. ¡Somos extremos! ¡Cómo la televisión!"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm 4 episodes into Severance and gently caress me is this a beautifully made television show. Whether or not you're into dramas, thrillers, comedies, or anything made by Ben Stiller, this is worth a look for the direction and cinematography alone. Get your hands on it however you can, it's gorgeous and the title sequence gives me goosebumps every time I watch it.

My only inkling of doubt is that they manage to land the seasonal plot. There's still 3 episodes left un-aired so there's no way of knowing if this is just one big edge-job or they manage to build something with proper closure and only a keyhole forward to a second season. I've been really hung up on improperly built seasonal television these past few years so I'm on guard for a possible let-down.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

I'm 4 episodes into Severance and gently caress me is this a beautifully made television show. Whether or not you're into dramas, thrillers, comedies, or anything made by Ben Stiller, this is worth a look for the direction and cinematography alone. Get your hands on it however you can, it's gorgeous and the title sequence gives me goosebumps every time I watch it.

My only inkling of doubt is that they manage to land the seasonal plot. There's still 3 episodes left un-aired so there's no way of knowing if this is just one big edge-job or they manage to build something with proper closure and only a keyhole forward to a second season. I've been really hung up on improperly built seasonal television these past few years so I'm on guard for a possible let-down.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/severance-review-1294293/

Alan Sepinwall watched the whole season, and he says it sticks the landing and that he forgot to breathe during the season finale.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Sex and the City continuation got another season and as someone who's never seen a bare second of the show - who is Che and why does everyone hate them

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

zoux posted:

The Sex and the City continuation got another season and as someone who's never seen a bare second of the show - who is Che and why does everyone hate them

Three reasons. First, Che is meant to be one of the new progressive characters but comes across as a conservative stereotype of a progressive strawman character.

Second, Che is billed as one of the biggest comedy talents in the world of SATC, and the show forces us to listen through multiple sets, and it's the most excruciatingly non-funny "comedy" ever, and you can tell the writers really wanted excuses to demonstrate how they think they would be great at stand-up. One of the most infamous scenes involves a "Woke Moments Button," a button they push that shouts out "Woke moment!" Related to this, a big part of Che's story is that they are the host of a podcast that brings Carrie on, and Che's big conclusion is getting hired to film a comedy pilot in LA, so they excitedly announce on air that due to it, they're shutting the podcast down and putting their friends out of a job (though the show does slightly acknowledge how selfish this is). Also several times the show indicates that podcasts function like live radio call-in shows.

Finally, a big part of the season is that Miranda cheats on Steve with Che and ultimately leaves Steve for Che, which also involves the writers turning Steve into this decrepit old man stereotype to kind of justify it, and a lot of people really disliked this. Although again, Che did not realize Miranda was cheating, and the show does at least acknowledge that the whole thing was unfair to Steve.

That being said, there is one part involving Che that I did like - in (I think) the first episode, there's a conversation between her and Carrie which acknowledges how in the world of SATC, Carrie is a major figure for being a sex columnist in the 90s, while also acknowledging that Carrie is remarkably conservative and repressed for someone who talks about sex for a living.

It is kind of remarkable that I don't think I've seen a single defense of Che from anyone, even from progressive nonbinary reviewers and people who were defenders of the continuation.

Ultimately the continuation felt like a weird parody of the original series but I mean, I'll probably end up watching the second season anyways.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

On top of that, Warner is juicing Che up to be this amazing standup in the script so they can drop Sara Ramirez' standup special mid season. They are obsessed with cross promotion.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wouldn't peg Michael Che to agree to be on Sex and the City, but I'll grant him that it's a pretty funny notion from the outside.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

This is so adorable to me for some reason. Carrie Coon is amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Khanstant posted:

I wouldn't peg Michael Che to agree to be on Sex and the City, but I'll grant him that it's a pretty funny notion from the outside.

I'd prefer him to Ramirez honestly.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Hey I just saw the thread title and :hmmyes:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hey I just saw the thread title and :hmmyes:

I speak only the truths

The Shield is better than the Wire.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I speak only the truths

Woah you need to calm the gently caress down with that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Started S2 and rad developments, but lolling at this line: "Thanks to you, all the remains of the Mithraic threat is a lone terrorist who will soon be eliminated." LOL Yeah OKAY, that psycho is going to be more of a pain that the entire mithraic ark would've been.

Second thought is the first major thing to disappoint me instead of an excited "wtf": Oh boy, a collective, thats a good expedient concept for these circumstances! Oh nevermind, it's another compulsory fascist collective and we're gonna to break that poo poo up.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 23, 2022

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Rhyno posted:

I speak only the truths

Hey buddy, that’s some hot garbage cat. :nyd:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Disposable Scud posted:

Yeah, it ruled.

(ep. 7 spoilers)

Ever since they introduced the big community house my wife and I were both thinking that all it would take is one idiot for everything to go to poo poo there, and lo and behold there he was.

The entire episode we were dreading Fatima would die, and we were glad that she made it out okay. Still, when she had her back against the door we were both probably the most tense we have ever been watching a TV show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/NetflixIsAJoke/status/1506390462956986373

Greetings to what will surely turn out to be Netflix's most watched comedy special ever

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NetflixIsAJoke/status/1506390462956986373

Greetings to what will surely turn out to be Netflix's most watched comedy special ever

How is conservative standup so consistently ten years behind on these “jokes”

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

I speak only the truths

I agree. the wire is poverty tourism for suburban liberals.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

When your values are 50 years behind the times, ten years seems cutting edge.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This may come as a shock to you, but conservatives live in the past.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I had the Jeff Foxworthy autobiography when i was a kid. A huge portion of the book was "you might be a redneck if" jokes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jeff Foxworthy Says Minion Memes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And they still haven’t worked out it’s parents who demanded participation trophies, not the kids themselves, because their offspring couldn’t possibly be a loving useless blob of cells and deserves to be praised too.