Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wellwinds posted:

There's not a direct explanation but the erdtree is an alien thing to the world and seems to have built it's "order" around having everything feed it after it dies, and everything that plays by different rules like ancestor spirits seems to be ghosty. My guess is that the giant lands are outside its influence and so things are allowed to get weirder with less effort and ritual.

The Altus Plateau and the Capital are just absolutely masterclasses at building a world with the environment in a way I have honestly never seen done in a game before, at least not nearly as well. There's so many specific things in both zones I'd love to know what the deal is. The first view of the place you get after the elevator with the Capital in the background and the ghost(?) banners is just so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/tylxx/status/1505579080741273610?t=oCgiwXNY4H_8R4vWTqcvJQ&s=19

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

The death rite bird boss might just be one of the most miserable melee fights in the game.

Yeah I despise them. There's one in Consecrated Snowfield that I cheesed with arrows and kiting lmao.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

kazil posted:

The death rite bird boss might just be one of the most miserable melee fights in the game.

Death,
right?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think it's an ok boss (with excessive damage) except for the freaking head lock-on.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Interesting, the Miquella's needle description describes the storm in Farum Azula as "beyond time" which probably explains some of the weirdness there.

Also, re: Boc, I completely missed him and apparently he just disappears after Leyndell gets ashy

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lava Mansion is actually kind of spooky. Never seen a spooky lava zone before.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
https://twitter.com/ItsMarcoYolo/status/1505209020562513927?s=20&t=7fU4pNUFeReeeiCpuBJELw

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't seen a single bird boss yet

Where must I go to conquer the birds

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a way to dupe weapons?
I want to go full ham with Yura's sword.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kazil posted:

They're not too bad as long as you don't make the mistake of locking on to the head and gettng your camera jerked around in every direction constantly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hot take time but I don't think dogs should be able to stunlock you unless you have like sub 10 poise come the gently caress on

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

They mostly come out at night. Though theres one in mountaintops of the giants in the cemetery leading up to castle sol that im pretty sure came out during all hours.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Hot take time but I don't think dogs should be able to stunlock you unless you have like sub 10 poise come the gently caress on

Rats are similarly annoying. And then when you get a swing off, it clears their head, and you get stunned again lol

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Wellwinds posted:

Enemies in this game all seem to be built with specific strategies being effective against them and the people who have the most trouble seem to be the ones who dont realize or completely refuse to engage with anything but their starter build

The gnolls are trivialized to a comical degree by guard counters, the harpies/hawks/bats can be splatted to the ground with any gravity based ability, all variants of the big rear end in a top hat knights fall apart if you parry them, revenants crumble to basic heal spells and the piles of enemies like land squirts/silver tears/plants/undead that go down to specific damage types

There's a lot of talk about dev intent but it seems ultra clear that they expect you to dip into the gigantic toolchest they've given you but a lot of people don't even seem to consider it
I agree, lots of guys have specific strategies that are good against them, but A) a lot of those are semi-exclusive (gravity is all Int-based, heals are all Fai-based, you can't use a shield if you're built for power stance or for 2-h stance, you can't parry if your build relies on weapon arts), so you need to either have the stats for multiple builds simultaneously, need to get some very specific niche-pushing equipment, or need to die and come back with different stuff equipped, and B) if you use ALL the tools at your disposal, the game ends up being pretty easy, and you don't engage in the challenging mechanics at all, for the most part. It's fine if the game strongly suggests you fight dirty and use the best stuff for the situation, but I'd call it a misstep in some ways, because it ends up that there are some fights where you can't learn the timings and still succeed with your colossal 2-h hammer, you're just too slow. That's never the case with stuff like straight swords and katanas, they're effective for just about everything.

I got my rear end kicked by the revenants in the Haligtree a couple of times when trying to finesse my way through their area, because they spawn right on top of you and are so aggressive, but when I came down at one end, summoned by spirit ash, and methodically moved forward wiping them out instantly as they spawned, they didn't stand a chance. Going back through the game and trying to engage with more mechanics, I don't know how I'm going to deal with them, they might just be too hard to fight "honorably" or whatever.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wtf are gnolls.
They're the bigass beast guys in Farum Azula, and some of them are in the branches of the Haligtreee. I called the little ones harpies, I guess maybe there are wingless harpies, too? Or maybe there are just big gnolls and small gnolls? They're the beastmen who mostly use curved swords and axes.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Has anyone made a quest guide yet? One that tells you which quests to do before fighting a boss/entering an area/etc to avoid getting locked out of them?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Professor Beetus posted:

Poise doesn't do anything to prevent stunlocks, it only prevents interruptions once you've already started a move.
Except the "increases poise" physick tear which actually gives you an iron flesh type effect.

Infinite Karma posted:

I agree, lots of guys have specific strategies that are good against them, but A) a lot of those are semi-exclusive (gravity is all Int-based, heals are all Fai-based, you can't use a shield if you're built for power stance or for 2-h stance, you can't parry if your build relies on weapon arts), so you need to either have the stats for multiple builds simultaneously, need to get some very specific niche-pushing equipment, or need to die and come back with different stuff equipped, and B) if you use ALL the tools at your disposal, the game ends up being pretty easy, and you don't engage in the challenging mechanics at all, for the most part. It's fine if the game strongly suggests you fight dirty and use the best stuff for the situation, but I'd call it a misstep in some ways, because it ends up that there are some fights where you can't learn the timings and still succeed with your colossal 2-h hammer, you're just too slow. That's never the case with stuff like straight swords and katanas, they're effective for just about everything.

Gravity isn't all int-based, you can get the Gravitas ash of war in Limgrave right at the beginning of the game and use it on any physical build. I wish I thought of that earlier actually, the basic gravity spells are pretty crap for pulling birds out of the air since they tend to dodge a lot.

As for shields and parries: you have 3 weapon slots per for a reason, you can switch between power stancing and using a brass shield or a parry dagger or whatever depending on the enemy. Doesn't help if you need 2h to meet your weapon's stat requirements though.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 22, 2022

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Gravity Bolt is better for single targets then pre-nerf Hoarfrost Stomp.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm finding LoR much later than intended. Power through most of it, no deaths until I run into the you-know-what and I've run out of flasks. Come back and kill it nearly flawlessly, but get killed by the pack of homing missile shrimp fuckers. I descend again to get back my 112k runes. Killed by the first pair of them at the bottom. :negative:

E: after making this post, I head down again, avoid the first two but kill the rest of them ahead without taking a single hit

codo27 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 22, 2022

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

What's the lore on how the capitol city got into its current state? It says somewhere that Morgott took the city after the Queen vanished (is that when he became king?) so are the holy warriors his and are holding the city while he tries to become an elden lord? The city has more of a coherent defensive plan than anywhere else I've been, so it feels like it's still an organized force. Godfrey's spirit is also just chilling in there with Morgott? Did Morgott conquer the city with the giant dead thing that seems to have wrecked a bunch of the city and then died? I think it's a dragon but it was a little hard to tell.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oxyclean posted:

Rats are similarly annoying. And then when you get a swing off, it clears their head, and you get stunned again lol

Yeah, rats, cats, bats, they are all fuckers

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Poise doesn't do anything to prevent stunlocks, it only prevents interruptions once you've already started a move.
Except the "increases poise" physick tear which actually gives you an iron flesh type effect.

Speaking of physick tears, do they all go away pretty much immediately after you get hit or is that unique to damage negation ones? Because the wording makes it seem like it'll last for some amount of time, but usually they go away after like a single hit, which is very marginally useful.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Cast the lightning skin incantation, it'll cause light attacks to bounce off of you. Then just follow up after your recovery. Who needs poise.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What are some good bleed weapon alternatives if I don't want to do the boring weeb dual katana build? Being able to slap bleed on anything with ashes is tripping me up in terms of figuring out which weapons have a good enough moveset / attack speed to actually compliment it.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Eleonora's Poleblade with an arcane build if you think twin-blades are rad ( they are ).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, rats, cats, bats, they are all fuckers

Speaking of physick tears, do they all go away pretty much immediately after you get hit or is that unique to damage negation ones? Because the wording makes it seem like it'll last for some amount of time, but usually they go away after like a single hit, which is very marginally useful.

Nah, most of them last a really long time, like 5+ minutes. I spent most of my first playthrough using the +20% magic damage and stamina regen tears in my flask and the buffs lasted for the full duration of every boss fight. Some tears mention "reduced duration", like the twiggy tear and the increased-stance-damage one, but they still seem to be a good 3ish minutes.

The heal and bubble tears seem pretty low value to me, since they basically just save you one flask each when there are so many other long-lasting buffs. Useful early on when you have like 4 flasks total but they quickly fall off. Bubble seems mostly suited to rl1 playthroughs where you get oneshot otherwise and to pvp.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

What are some good bleed weapon alternatives if I don't want to do the boring weeb dual katana build? Being able to slap bleed on anything with ashes is tripping me up in terms of figuring out which weapons have a good enough moveset / attack speed to actually compliment it.

Bleed claws and power-stanced daggers are both really good if you like getting up in bosses' grills. Curved swords are also pretty good, especially against normal enemies and in pvp because the running l1 attack hits 4 times and will get you tons of bleed buildup instantly.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 22, 2022

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Tzarnal posted:

Eleonora's Poleblade with an arcane build if you think twin-blades are rad ( they are ).

This sounds much cooler, thank you!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I agree, twinblades are rad with their own unique+ very fast moveset, and double unique when you powerstance twinblades.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

There's a spooky bird boss in Liurna, near the academy. Mine died randomly after going airborne, maybe yours won't.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

In past games I put it on daggers since you can swipe them real fast and they're light enough to be a single purpose weapon.

I haven't experimented with bleed very much in this game however. :(

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Infinite Karma posted:

They're the bigass beast guys in Farum Azula, and some of them are in the branches of the Haligtreee. I called the little ones harpies, I guess maybe there are wingless harpies, too? Or maybe there are just big gnolls and small gnolls? They're the beastmen who mostly use curved swords and axes.

Ah ok, I should have guessed that. I think those guys are technically called "misbegotten". Something about the crucible of life touched them in a way that caused them to mutate and regress into beast-like creatures.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

I agree, twinblades are rad with their own unique+ very fast moveset, and double unique when you powerstance twinblades.

I want to do this but this game *hates* the idea of players having anything approaching an excess of smithing stones.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Tzarnal posted:

I'm still mad that this was broken until the day I beat the game on my twinblade bleed build

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ah ok, I should have guessed that. I think those guys are technically called "misbegotten". Something about the crucible of life touched them in a way that caused them to mutate and regress into beast-like creatures.

The misbegotten are the humanish-faced ones like in castle morne.
The fellas with dog faces are just beastmen.
Then demi-humans are a totally different thing on top of that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Powerstancing twinblades is great. Hit L1 one to two times. Watch most regular things be dead.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Horace Kinch posted:

I want to do this but this game *hates* the idea of players having anything approaching an excess of smithing stones.

You know they all be one purchasable you until the highest level, right? They’re never free, but it’s loads better than in previous games.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

What's the lore on how the capitol city got into its current state? It says somewhere that Morgott took the city after the Queen vanished (is that when he became king?) so are the holy warriors his and are holding the city while he tries to become an elden lord? The city has more of a coherent defensive plan than anywhere else I've been, so it feels like it's still an organized force. Godfrey's spirit is also just chilling in there with Morgott? Did Morgott conquer the city with the giant dead thing that seems to have wrecked a bunch of the city and then died? I think it's a dragon but it was a little hard to tell.

It is indeed a dragon, and there's an item you can get from the bottom of the giant spear thing that sheds a little light on it.

I think Morgott is not trying to become Elden Lord, and is instead just protecting the Erdtree because he believes something else will happen. Or he doesn't believe anything will happen and just wants to keep people from the tree because reasons.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The misbegotten are the humanish-faced ones like in castle morne.
The fellas with dog faces are just beastmen.
Then demi-humans are a totally different thing on top of that.

Yeah the misbegotten all have wings. Except the bigger leonine misbegottens, I'm pretty sure.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

there's one up on the east side of stormhill, at night, about here. it spawns in the sky when you're in the right spot so you can't see it from a distance

there's another near castle morne, also at night. they're all over, seem to drop unique weapons

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Interesting, the Miquella's needle description describes the storm in Farum Azula as "beyond time" which probably explains some of the weirdness there.

Also, re: Boc, I completely missed him and apparently he just disappears after Leyndell gets ashy

Speaking of Farum Azula, what's the deal with all the wormface creatures that barf up death blight that reside there? Are they residents? Did they create it? What's their fuckin' deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Macrame_God posted:

Speaking of Farum Azula, what's the deal with all the wormface creatures that barf up death blight that reside there? Are they residents? Did they create it? What's their fuckin' deal?

Uh what....? There isn't a single one of those anywhere in Farum Azula. they're all in Altus Plateau, plus one on Gelmir. Farum has nothing but beastmen, beastmen skeletons, and dragons. And birds.