Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Clinton got it? thought that was Obama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Zugzwang posted:

Yep. And WW2, even adjusting for population differences.

It’s ok old lives don’t matter
(neither do young lives)

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
covid is the zombies

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

U-DO Burger posted:

when shopping for omicron use the following chart to determine which variant is right for your immune system

My eyes glaze over when I see the mutation identifiers these days. I have no clue what significance any of them have, or even if they have significance versus just being noise in the signal. I wonder whether even the people researching them have any idea.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

Hm, maybe we shouldn’t be letting everyone catch this thing over and over.

I hear you, I see you. COVID is over.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Why the gently caress is forbes of all places releasing so many covid articles.

This reminds me of when buzzfeed became a real news network.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kylaer posted:

My eyes glaze over when I see the mutation identifiers these days. I have no clue what significance any of them have, or even if they have significance versus just being noise in the signal. I wonder whether even the people researching them have any idea.

only in a few cases where the particular mutation corresponds to some known gene or genetic mechanism.

c'mon, you're a doctor. you knew that.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fosborb posted:

obama definitely got it, dunno about clinton

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

Clinton got hospitalized for a "non-COVID infection", so I think Thoguh just scrambled it a bit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58921615 posted:

Bill Clinton: Former US president in hospital for 'non-Covid infection'

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

silicone thrills posted:

forbes turned their website into a place where you can pay to write a blog post that is "published by forbes"

it's used by a lot of people who want to get their name out there as a writer

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

wow, this william haseltine fellow has been prolific on forbes the last few months: https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/?sh=113781945088

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
At least we don’t have to worry about a new variant now that no one is naming them anything that can be easily remembered

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I just went and looked at r/coronavirus because I love to hurt myself, and it worked. They’re doing the same things they always do when there’s a new wave coming, saying it’s not coming and screaming at people who say it is, and something that I’ve seen before really jumped out at me this time. A very common line right now is “well of course covid is forever, there’s no way to make there not be covid, it’s permanent,” combined with “so, what, you want us to just take precautions forever? No way bro.”

I’m amazed they can think those two things at once. When someone says that something is never going away and we have to get used to it, that means stuff like wearing a coat when it’s cold or keeping your eyes open when you’re driving or eating food at regular intervals so your body doesn’t die. It’s part of the thing, you have to do it if you want to remain alive and unmaimed.

It never means “it snows every winter and that’s why you should never wear shoes again,” but that’s what they’re making it mean. I guess the avoidance of the danger is more negatively impactful than the danger itself (lol until it isn’t), so they end up with this really weird pro-danger standpoint where the only thing to fear is avoiding the thing you should be afraid of. I don’t get it. I understand what’s happening here mechanically, I know they want the num nums and the suck and fucks more than they want to be able to enjoy num nums and suck and fucks next year, I know their brains are full of poo poo because people make a lot of money to poo poo in them and everyone loves it, but I can’t make myself truly understand how their internal thought process makes “the air is poison forever” also mean “I’m going to breathe as much poison as I can because I’m normal.”

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fosborb posted:

poo poo, you’re right, it was Obama not Clinton.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Fly Molo posted:

do we have approximate r0 numbers yet for BA.1 vs. BA.2?
Not sure if the R0 numbers off hand, but R0 is only part of the story. The generation time is also super important. Like, measles has an R0 of about 18, but it takes something like 12 days before someone is infectious with it. Omicron was two days.

Last I heard, BA.2 was about 30% more infectious than BA.1, which is about the same difference between Alpha and OG+D614G. The immunity from the winter wave seems to be the main thing keeping it at bay, but, nAb titers only stay up for a few months…

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Trixie Hardcore posted:

At least we don’t have to worry about a new variant now that no one is naming them anything that can be easily remembered

The main issue is that ZA keeps being the first to identify new Omicron subvariants.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I stopped by r/covid19positive to see how they're doing

quote:

Everything smells like a wet ashtray
I don't know what to do. I tested positive on March 5th, had pretty light cold symptoms, didn't lose my sense of smell or taste. I recovered fairly quickly and tested negative again this Sunday.

After I recovered from my symptoms, I started smelling cigarette smoke. At first I figured it was just a neighbor smoking on his balcony, I had the windows cracked. But I kept smelling it and ever since it's just gotten worse. I'm always smelling cigarettes. It started off with the smell of cigarette smoke which I honestly don't mind, but now it's the stale, sour smell of old, wet ashtray. I can't stand it, it's there all the time and it makes me so nauseous! Today it's so bad I'm starting to gag.

I don't understand why this is happening when I didn't even lose my sense of smell while I was sick.

I can smell other things fine, by the way! It's just if I'm not smelling anything in particular, the default has apparently become wet ashtray.

Has this happened to anyone else? How long did it last, could you do anything to help it? I'm desperate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19positive/comments/tk7a11/everything_smells_like_wet_ashtray

quote:

What can I expect from 'long covid'?
So basically I’ve had covid a month ago and the disease itself wasn’t really much. Basically a cold. However after I recovered I started having severe breathing problems +burning sensation in chest/lungs (sometimes headaches, muscle pain in the arms) in combination with a stuffed nose which makes breathing kinda even harder. Went to the doctor and he basically told me that my breathing sounds really bad from what he could hear using a stethoscope. So he prescribed me a bunch of medication(mostly respiratory/asthma medicine) but said if they don’t help I’ll need to head to the hospital for blood samples/chest x ray etc. so now here I am 23 y/o being paranoid that my lungs are fked up. If anyone experienced similar symptoms as I have, what did it turn out to be? As the hospital doesn’t see me as a severe case(because I still can breathe by myself lmao) the earliest appointment is gonna be next week, I only can wait and take medications. Is this a common thing to happen? If it matters I had omnicron and was triple vaxxed with BioNTech. Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19positive/comments/tk3qvv/what_can_i_expect_from_long_covid

Mild!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Joementum posted:

forbes turned their website into a place where you can pay to write a blog post that is "published by forbes"

that makes more sense

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
viruses are scary poo poo and we don't really understand them or all of their effects. it is not at all surprising that a virus that can just straight up kill you can also do a bunch of weird things like make everything smell like an ashtray for the rest of your life or make it so you get winded just standing up

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Joementum posted:

*brandishes baseball bat* sounds like some media literacy's happenin around here...

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Well, it WAS obama, but now it's also Clinton lol
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1506397903765581836

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

redreader posted:

Lmao

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

redreader posted:

lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

redreader posted:

(..)

lmao

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

redreader posted:

fucken print and frame this page, perfect from top to bottom

edit:

fosborb posted:

FOURTEEN MINUTES LATER...

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

redreader posted:

lol

The sheer number of these people getting it at once makes me suspect that they actually believe the Open Biden bullshit they’re peddling. Or if they don’t, the death cult peer pressure is too great.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
Here's hoping COVID leads to the arrest of Hillary Clinton

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Stereotype posted:

viruses are scary poo poo and we don't really understand them or all of their effects. it is not at all surprising that a virus that can just straight up kill you can also do a bunch of weird things like make everything smell like an ashtray for the rest of your life or make it so you get winded just standing up

Pretty sure what doesn't kill you makes you stronger so what you're saying makes no sense.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
You spoke it into existence.

lmao

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

silicone thrills posted:

Forbes is trying to save money by letting joe schmoe submit articles instead of hiring more full time writers. that’s why they have anime and video game news now

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
74 year old covid + woman an hour after popping positive: So grateful to avoid serious illness because of vaccines!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mags posted:

Here's hoping COVID leads to the arrest of Hillary Clinton

Yeah, cardiac arrest

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Did this get posted yet? I caught up on the thread but might have missed it

https://twitter.com/WmHaseltine/status/1505972833498849290

I have not seen a word about this or long covid in general in any Korean articles.

I understand why, since for this massive wave of cases 30% are under 18 yrs old everyday. Like the 100k kids infected yesterday.

Once the parents find out what this govt did to their little study machines there will be riots.

Anyway should probably clear 500k cases today!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Got a 20-pack of BNX N95 masks from Home Depot in. The more I wear them the more I think I like them better than the 3M Aura. They're manufactured in the USA which means they'll probably be out of business before the next wave hits so stock up now!

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Pretty sure what doesn't kill you makes you stronger so what you're saying makes no sense.

Don't forget that the only thing to fear is fear itself and not a lifetime of permanent disability

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

You spoke it into existence.

lmao

lmao

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Maybe covid is actually awesome

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

redreader posted:

:sickos:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Trixie Hardcore posted:

74 year old covid + woman an hour after popping positive: So grateful to avoid serious illness because of vaccines!

I mean an hour is about the amount of time it takes to get the MaBs infusion, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

redreader posted:

First, lmao

Second, who is this person she’s imagining that has not gotten vaccinated, but will get vaccinated because Hillary Clinton said to while announcing a breakthrough infection?