Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Great write up about the Montreal Screw Job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
someone should do a write up of vince's failed business ventures like the XFL or the World Bodybuilding Federation if they havent already

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

someone should do a write up of vince's failed business ventures like having his wife run for the Senate twice, losing both times, and burning $50 million of his own money

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lmao

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

were there any other guys other than (I think?) Chilly Willy in ECW whose schtick was being announced as hailing from whatever city they were currently wrestling in?

Didn't Lance Storm always mention being from Calgary, Alberta, Canada?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If I can beseech the scholars: an oral history of undertaker's Ministry of darkness and a crucifixion count.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
I understand the terms work and shoot but can someone explain what a worked shoot is please

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

gbs but from 2004 posted:

I understand the terms work and shoot but can someone explain what a worked shoot is please

Something that is entirely scripted but is designed to resemble something unscripted.

When done well, it can really kickstart fan interest. When done poorly, it's Vince Russo.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
worked shoot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye8TGJmBlA0&t=138s

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
brian pillman managed to pull off a worked shoot that became an actual shoot when he tricked Bischoff into releasing him from contract so him qutting the company would look legitimate and then the second he wasnt under contract he went to ECW lmao

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 23, 2022

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Remember in Black Dynamite when Bullhorn slapped that guy during a fight scene and the guy's actor got really mad and they suddenly cut and Bullhorn was shown fighting a completely different actor? That was a worked shoot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

titties posted:

They could and can still say world wrestling federation. It's specific uses of the initials "WWF" and the attitude-era scratch logo that are forbidden.

This is essentially correct. The deal the World Wildlife Fund and the WWF made was that Vince could use the then-extant branding for the WWF, but he wasn't allowed to switch it up. Then he decided to get ballsy and introduce the scratch logo, and that combined with the switch to more adult-oriented programming led the World Wildlife Fund to sue Vince's rear end off. Which then led to the re-branding to WWE, which was also partially due to Vince's obsession with being a media mogul instead of a wrestling promoter.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Foxfire_ posted:

There was a negotiated agreement between the two in 1994 where World Wrestling Federation agreed (among other things) to not use "WWF" in broadcasts.

The 2000 lawsuit leading to the name change was after Vince decided to ignore that and was about whether the 1994 agreement was enforceable, not a from-first-principles trademark dispute

:tipshat:

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Trollologist posted:

If I can beseech the scholars: an oral history of undertaker's Ministry of darkness and a crucifixion count.

Right. I covered bits and pieces of this (namely the Higher and Greater Power and Hell in A Cell II) in other effortposts, but in a straight run…

Undertaker had an interesting 1998. He started it by accidentally retiring Shawn Michaels for the first of two times, then feuding with the newly debuted Kane, something he’d go on to do a LOT over the next two decades or so, in which Kane shot lightning bolts to set random ring techs on fire and Paul Bearer and him dug up the Undertaker’s parents and burned their remains (in a casket, unseen, of course). It seemed like all the supernatural drama had finally drained the Undertaker’s ‘supernatural’ batteries, as it was around then that he started showing aspects of himself that were more than ‘undead magic man who always spoke in a monotone’. Heck, while he might have let his Southern roots slip into his voice before then, the main thing I remember is Undertaker walking out to cut a promo on how he felt somewhat disrespected and wanted another chance to be world champion, while wearing what I swear were sweat pants and a sweat shirt, like he’d been taking a day off at home and got called in to cut a promo at the literal last minute.

Edit: Found it. Really, that's a pair of drat sweatpants and a sweatshirt, isn't it?

https://www.wwe.com/videos/the-undertaker-demands-his-opportunity-at-the-wwe-title-raw-june-1-1998

This led to Hell In A Cell II, more Vince Russo wackiness in “let’s take these two wrestlers who hate each other or have to fight and make them tag team champions” with Austin and Undertaker, something Vince and others would reuse a LOT during those years, and Undertaker losing to Austin at Summerslam 1998, which was named Highway to Hell and they got the rights to the AC/DC song and they made sure you knew it by playing it incessantly. Not that it mattered, as Austin was utterly molten at this time and carried everything with his heat. Undertaker also got a rock remix of his theme which I thought was the tits back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAXue_hDixM

After that, Undertaker made peace with Kane as they served as flunkies for Vince to get the title off of Austin, but they succeeded by both pinning him, and then after failing to defend McMahon from Austin, he refused to award either the title and said they would have to fight each other for it at the next PPV. So they kayfabe broke his ankle (linked mainly for Vince's overselling). So he made Austin the special referee. And in the match, Paul Bearer turned on Kane and sided again with Undertaker, only for Austin to hit Undertaker with a chair and declare HE was the winner, leaving the WWF Title still vacant. After that, Undertaker officially turned heel after seven years of being a face, re-aligning himself with Paul Bearer and saying that while he had said that Kane, as a child, loved playing with matches and had started the fire that had supposedly burned him horribly, in reality Undertaker had set the fire. Which had both supposedly killed and burned Kane, which as it turned out, it did neither. But oh boy, the mucho nonsense of Kane’s entire WWE career and all the mucking with his personal story is a topic even I hesitate to cover.

After failing to win the WWF title in the November PPV tournament, Undertaker turned to trying to destroy Austin for the whole ‘costing him the belt while ref’ thing, which led to a December PPV “Buried Alive” match where Undertaker lost and was buried alive (except, you know, not really, it was an optical illusion using a false wall and hidden segment right next to the grave). It was before this match, actually, that Undertaker ‘crucified’ Austin, or technically ‘tied him’ to ‘a symbol’.

I actually think this was the only time that was done, to anyone; if anyone can remember any other times, it will be news to me. It didn’t help him, as he was still buried alive. It seemed being buried alive (and realizing that despite debuting this match he was doomed to never actually WIN one) drove Undertaker back to his supernatural dark side and made him go further than ever before, as he would return in early 1999 having gone all the way past “evil zombie magic undertaker” to “evil black minister would be dark magic overlord who wears a cloak and sits on a throne”.

And just to drive home that he was now EVIL EVIL SO VERY EVIL, he grew his beard out into a classic villain goatee and got his theme song made even SPOOKIER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuH4DwVnYJI

Undertaker promptly began kidnapping and ‘sacrificing’ wrestlers to brainwash them into his service. He took Dennis Knight, late of the dissolved tag teams the Godwins and Southern Justice, and put him in a dark magic ritual and proclaimed he was now “Mideon”...which basically gave you an idea of the talent quality Undertaker was going to be forced to rely on. He then kidnapped Nelson “Mabel” Frazier from the Royal Rumble of 1999 and ‘sacrificed’ him and said he was now Viscera. Which Nelson ended up keeping as a name for the rest of his WWE career, even when the gimmick had warped so bad that he was now “The World’s Largest Love Machine”....Viscera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nib2Imtlg08

Undertaker also recruited John Bradshaw and Ron Simmons and made them a tag team, the Acolytes. Wait no, Don Callis, who’s in AEW now and had a revolving door period with the WWF in the late 90’s did that in late 1998, then he left the company and Undertaker ‘inherited’ them. In any case, no kidnapping or sacrifice was needed there; probably best, Ron Simmons would not have had that nonsense. He also recruited the Brood, consisting of Edge, Christian, and Gangrel, which made sense as they were supposed to be vampires. Undertaker actually just sat around giving orders for a few months, as he’d had hip surgery and was healing from it, and since he couldn’t challenge for belts, he instead set his sights higher and basically declared he was going to take over the entire WWF, which put him in opposition to Vince McMahon’s own heel stable, the Corporation. Undertaker at some point started talking about serving a Higher Power, which became the Greater Power, even as he did stuff like hang the Big Boss Man and kidnap Vince’s daughter, Stephanie, and try to ‘marry her’ in a ‘black mass’, where Austin got to show his basic decency by storming the ring and stopping it (Edit: Oh, I guess she counts as a 'crucifixion' too). Also ironically, despite now being darker and more evil then ever before, it seemed like this change had made Undertaker more ‘mortal’, as he had a PPV match with Corporation member Ken Shamrock, who as I spoke of, was also a UFC fighter and was presented as a submissions expert, and while Shamrock lost the match due to interference, much was noted how he managed to get the once-thought-immune-to-pain Undertaker to yell and scream in pain from his various submission holds.

Then, as I showed in my Triple H series, Shane McMahon, serving as his father’s second, decided that him caring about his sister made him weak and kicked him out of the Corporation.

Then Shane revealed he had aligned the Corporation with the Undertaker’s Ministry, forming the ‘Corporate Ministry’, which is one of the worst merged names I have ever seen. It also got Vince’s theme song (or what would become his official theme long after all this had ended) a SPOOOOKKKKYYYYY remix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uc3V8NxKWwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfP20WPCW84

(OG, remix)

Then we had the whole ‘Greater Power reveal’, in which due to Mick Foley turning them down and the WWE having no plans, ended up being Vince, rendering the last several months just one giant overcomplicated as gently caress game to screw with Austin. This was swiftly moved on from as fast as possible as Austin was storyline put in charge of WWE thanks to Vince’s long suffering wife Linda, and Undertaker challenged Austin for the world title…at the PPV where Owen Hart died. Needless to say, no one remembers that Undertaker won the title that night, for very obvious reasons.

Undertaker defended the belt against the Rock at King of the Ring 1999, while Austin faced Vince and Shane in a ‘Ownership of WWF’ ladder match, which internet writers called bad but I found very entertainingly overbooked (being in a raucous bar probably helped), which Austin lost when he was going to grab the briefcase containing the ownership papers only to have it lifted up out of his grasp, letting Vince and Shane regroup, knock him down, and grab the papers themselves. Who lifted the briefcase? We never found out. Literally. The WWE never answered it; much like WCW’s ‘Who drove the Hummer’ and the later ‘Who was the Raw Anonymous GM’, we never got an answer.

I said, WE NEVER GOT AN ANSWER FOR WHO THE RAW ANONYMOUS GM WAS. I AM CORRECT THERE, RIGHT? Right. Good. Moving on from that fact that is unquestionably true…

In exchange for losing that King of the Ring match, Austin got the WWF title back the next night on Raw, defeating the Undertaker and popping the biggest rating Raw had seen to that point yet for it. Vince, deciding to settle the Austin vs McMahon rivalry ‘once and for all’, set up a First Blood match at the July PPV, with the stipulation that if Austin lost, he could never challenge for the WWF Title ever again, and if Undertaker lost, McMahon could ‘never appear on WWE TV again.”

Undertaker lost. Vince was sang out of the building the next night on Raw…and turned up on TV again a few months later, and the future would see a lot more Austin vs McMahon or McMahon stand ins. After that, Shane basically came out and said “Well, I need to focus on keeping this Test guy from dating my sister, so the Corporate Ministry is dissolved.’ (see the link above to my Triple H post) Undertaker formed a tag team with Big Show, in which he cut a promo that has joined the ranks of the strangest ever said, then took eight months off to heal injuries, and when he returned in mid 2000 he’d fully transitioned to his ‘American Badass’ biker character which he would use for the next several years. The Acolytes decided to go into the protection business and changed their name to the A.P.A, which got them one of the worst T-Shirts in all of wrestling history.

The Brood ditched Gangrel and eventually decided it was better to reek of awesomeness then grave dirt, Mideon somehow hung around as a emo weirdo before he was briefly naked and then he was a cowboy that never showed up on TV and then he was released, and Viscera also kept the spooky gimmick as he left WWE, came back, and then, well, you saw what happened already.

Thus was the story of the Undertaker’s Ministry of Darkness and all it got up to.

----

So, I believe, Crucifixion Count: 2?

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 24, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The whole thing with Gangrel Edge and Christian was some weird poo poo. Weren't they started as some weirdo cult then Edge was the only one who managed to ever have a career by going from broody silent emo boy to coked up hyper rear end in a top hat?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hey! Gangrel still has a career: https://mlw.com/gangrel-next-week/

But also, he did some...Hardcore work outside of the WWE: https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/10/26/gangrel-regrets-stint-as-adult-film-director/

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gangrel is so dedicated to his vampire gimmick that he actually had surgery to give himself permanent vampire fangs

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Unrelated to anything except wacky wrestling bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSh2s_lmthI

Paul London and Bryan Danielson on the indies unite! In lunacy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I figure it might be fun to discuss the Undertaker’s Streak and the aftermath. It’s a good look at a lengthy career of a company man who was always at least near the top of the card. It’s how years of random decisions somehow naturally formed into something the wrestling business treated as absolutely mythical.

WRESTLEMANIA 7 (1991)

Mark Calloway wrestled in WCW for a time as “Mean” Mark Callous, whose deal was that he was tall and mean. He left for WWF, where Vince had a special gimmick picked out for him. Calloway was initially a bit scared, as Survivor Series 1990 was coming up and they were building towards some kind of mystery involving a giant egg. Fearing for the worst, Calloway thought that he was going to be some kind of egg-themed wrestler. Luckily, that disaster had nothing to do with him other than how he debuted as the Undertaker at the same event.

Well, with an asterisk. He taped some matches for TV as “Kane the Undertaker.” But this was his televised debut with the company.

Undertaker’s appearances at Survivor Series and the following Royal Rumble painted him out to be a total monster. While his offense was limited, he simply showed zero pain. At most, his head would bounce back when being punched. He didn’t have any major storylines and WrestleMania wasn’t going to give him one.

In real life, a WrestleMania paycheck is huge. It’s like a gigantic Christmas bonus and Vince McMahon, for all of his faults, at least wants to give out as many of those paychecks as possible. That’s why there are so many battle royals at WrestleMania. He’s trying to fit in as many names as possible. WrestleMania 7, known as “the patriotic one,” due to it tying into Operation Desert Storm, had a bunch of throwaway, unnecessary matches. Stuff like Tito Santana vs. the Mountie, which went on for a minute.

The Undertaker took on Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka, an aging WWF mainstay who was on his last legs. Also, he killed a woman one time and Vince helped get him off charges. Can’t forget that.

The match was a big pile of nothing with Undertaker dominating, Snuka getting just a little bit of offense, then Undertaker taking back control and finishing him with a Tombstone. There was no follow-up and Snuka just made sporadic appearances in the company for the next couple years before moving on.

As for the Undertaker, within the next year, he would feud with top faces like Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan, Sid Justice, and Randy Savage. He even got a short title reign in there too!

WRESTLEMANIA 8 (1992)

During the Undertaker’s feud with the Ultimate Warrior, there were these silly pre-taped bits where Jake “The Snake” Roberts tried to mentor Warrior and teach him about the dark side in order to help him better understand the Undertaker. Then Jake betrayed Warrior and revealed he was in league with the Undertaker.

What followed was a short, but incredibly sweet heel run for Jake, mostly focused on feuding with Randy Savage. In the aftermath of that feud, Jake was inexplicably betrayed by the Undertaker. It was never truly explained why the Undertaker took offense to Jake maiming Randy Savage and Elizabeth with a chair, but he stopped it anyway. When Jake demanded to know whose side he was on, Undertaker simply said, “NOT YOURS.”

And so, they had a WrestleMania match. Even though Undertaker was a face, his fighting style was still really dull and he didn’t have much going for him other than sitting up from taking damage and doing the Tombstone. Jake was actually well-protected in his loss, as he delivered a couple DDTs and got distracted by his decision to beat up Paul Bearer. Undertaker recovered and Tombstoned Jake onto the outside floor.

This would be Jake’s final WWF match for several years as he was looked over for a backstage position and felt betrayed over it. He was so angry that he demanded a release from his contract, else he’d no-show WrestleMania.

WRESTLEMANIA 9 (1993)

With Jake gone, Undertaker ended up feuding with Kamala the Ugandan Giant. Yeah, he was both an uncomfortable, racist gimmick and also not in good shape whatsoever. The feud was mainly just Undertaker no-selling Kamala and constantly scaring the poo poo out of him to the point that it started to feel kind of sad. At the very least, Kamala’s manager Harvey Whippleman saw Kamala as damaged goods due to what the Undertaker did to him.

At the 1993 Royal Rumble, Undertaker was kicking rear end midway into the big match when Whippleman came out with one of the most ridiculous-looking wrestlers to ever exist, Giant Gonzalez.

So, this guy. Jorge Gonzalez was an exceptionally tall dude from Argentina who was signed to play for the Atlanta Hawks. His knee got messed up and his career went up in smoke, but since Ted Turner owned both the Hawks and WCW, he made the transition to wrestler as El Gigante. He was not very good. Eventually, he signed with WWF, where they made him wear a bodysuit with fake fur all over.

Gonzalez showed up at the Rumble, not as a competitor, but just as a Whippleman’s revenge. He absolutely hosed up the Undertaker in a way nobody had seen by that point. Like, he did better than guys like Hogan and Warrior. Undertaker was a smoldering pile by the time he was done.

WrestleMania 9 is infamous as being one of the worst WrestleManias for a variety of reasons, but one of them is this match. Giant Gonzalez was one of the all-time worst wrestlers to ever exist. The Undertaker was not all that good at this point and it’s not like he could do many of his moves to a guy who was so much bigger than him.

It was an atrocious match with an ending that WWE likes to gloss over. Gonzalez couldn’t keep Undertaker down, so the unstoppable giant resorted to the horrifying attack of...using chloroform. Yeah, he chloroformed the Undertaker and got disqualified for it. Then he left and Undertaker eventually got up to stagger after him.

They had a rematch at SummerSlam where Undertaker got a decisive win. Gonzalez only lasted a couple more months before getting released.

WRESTLEMANIA 11 (1995)

Undertaker missed WrestleMania X because he had been written out as part of the ridiculous “Yokozuna and friends killed Undertaker and he’s reborn to fight his evil doppelganger” storyline that I went over in an earlier post. As the Fake Undertaker fought for Ted Dibiase, Undertaker continued to battle with Dibiase’s faction.

At WrestleMania, he faced King Kong Bundy in what really should have been the final boss battle in all of this. Bundy was enjoying a brief resurgence in the company. He was a somewhat big threat in the 80s, main-eventing WrestleMania 2 against Hulk Hogan in a cage. His stock fell afterwards and he was gone shortly after WrestleMania 3, but he was certainly being treated as a major threat again eight years later.

There was nothing to their match. Undertaker was up against another opponent he couldn’t really Tombstone, so he had to finish him off with his jumping DDT. Bundy immediately fell back down into obscurity, being released months later. Undertaker continued his feud with the Million Dollar Corporation, which would finally come to an end when he fought Kama the Supreme Fighting Machine at SummerSlam.

One notable thing about this match is that one of the commentators does casually mention that Undertaker is 3-0 at WrestleMania.

WRESTLEMANIA 12 (1996)

Diesel was at an interesting point in his career. He had just spent a year as champion and it was a financial failure. Vince McMahon took a giant badass trucker dude and tried to make him into a smiling replacement for Hulk Hogan. It did not work and upon losing the title to Bret Hart, Diesel was suddenly able to let loose as a psychotic wrecking machine who gave no fucks. He felt like an early attempt at what Steve Austin would become.

He also had one foot out the door due to a beckoning WCW. He spent several months messing with the Undertaker, such as preventing him from winning the WWF Championship. Undertaker started playing supernatural mind games with Diesel, constantly getting under his skin.

This match ended up being a million times better than it had any right to be. The two just worked well against each other. It ended with Diesel doing his Jackknife Powerbomb, egging Undertaker on to get up, doing a second Jackknife, and acting horrified that Undertaker got up a second time. Undertaker eventually Tombstoned Diesel and ended their beef.

Diesel would go on to challenge Shawn Michaels for the title (as wins and losses mean nothing) and then move to WCW. As for the Undertaker, he would soon meet up with Mankind, someone who would be treated as a major threat to him while being small enough to be mobile in the ring! What a concept!

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
15-year-old me was all about the Brothers of Destruction. Fuckin loved their tag team run(s).

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Gavok posted:

I figure it might be fun to discuss the Undertaker’s Streak

drat IT GAVOK, I WAS GOING TO DO THAT NEXT! YOU STOLE MY BIT!

-runs to, uh...who's the mod for GB? Genesplicer? Runs to Genesplicer to bury you-

Jokes aside, I actually was planning to do either that, or something else related to a Wrestlemania run. But it seems you had the same idea and did it better than I could (I didn't know the 3-0 mention, for one). I was going to comment that the Streak nearly died before it ever began to become a thing at Wrestlemania 9 (I am certain Jose Gonzoles was pencilled in to win until just how bad he was in the ring became clear) and it does remain the only Wrestlemania match Taker didn't win through pinfall or submission. There would be two other matches where I felt the Streak was at true risk; one at the time and one retroactively. So I'll do my other idea instead.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 24, 2022

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cornwind Evil posted:

Unrelated to anything except wacky wrestling bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSh2s_lmthI

Paul London and Bryan Danielson on the indies unite! In lunacy.

Paul London is a fantastic wrestler and probably one of my favorites. It sucks he does his best work in tag teams because he can never succeed in WWE (they do NOT like tag teams)

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cornwind Evil posted:

The Acolytes decided to go into the protection business and changed their name to the A.P.A, which got them one of the worst T-Shirts in all of wrestling history.

They HAD to know. They Had to.
This wasn't like 80's where maybe it flew under the radar, or PG era where it could credibly be sold as "whopsie doopsie!" This was attitude era (or close to it) they HAD to know how this read.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
It is very easy to imagine Vince McMahon, in peak early 90's announcer voice, shouting, "LOOK AT THAT PIG'S HUGE BALLS!" :vince:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

pentyne posted:

The whole thing with Gangrel Edge and Christian was some weird poo poo. Weren't they started as some weirdo cult then Edge was the only one who managed to ever have a career by going from broody silent emo boy to coked up hyper rear end in a top hat?

The Brood was the absolute loving coolest poo poo ever to my early 20s wannabe goth self. They were the coolest motherfuckers in the Attitude era and their entrance and music are possibly my favorite of all time.

Gangrel is still a trainer and has a good reputation.

Christian had a notable career as well. He was always unfortunately overshadowed by Edge but he was always really good on his own. He's in AEW now and he's already accomplished quite a bit. He had a long win streak and then beat the legendary belt collector Kenny Omega for the Impact world title, which is no small task. He eventually lost it but then came back to mentor Jurassic Express and is still with them. He wrestles occasionally and is still very very good in the ring.

Edge came out of retirement and rejoined WWE a while back. He's a shadow of his former self. Which sucks because I really liked from the start of his career through his first retirement.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cornwind Evil posted:

drat IT GAVOK, I WAS GOING TO DO THAT NEXT! YOU STOLE MY BIT!

-runs to, uh...who's the mod for GB? Genesplicer? Runs to Genesplicer to bury you-

You two need to settle this in a steel cage posting match

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Elephant Ambush posted:

Christian had a notable career as well. He was always unfortunately overshadowed by Edge but he was always really good on his own. He's in AEW now and he's already accomplished quite a bit. He had a long win streak and then beat the legendary belt collector Kenny Omega for the Impact world title, which is no small task. He eventually lost it but then came back to mentor Jurassic Express and is still with them. He wrestles occasionally and is still very very good in the ring.

Edge came out of retirement and rejoined WWE a while back. He's a shadow of his former self. Which sucks because I really liked from the start of his career through his first retirement.

I enjoyed the episodes of Haven they were in together.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

If this thread gets a gang tag, I vote for “Always Pounding rear end”.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Elephant Ambush posted:

On the upside apparently he's brought back the cool Brood entrance for PPV matches so there's that

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Elephant Ambush posted:

someone should absolutely do a post on WWE crown jewel and the undertaker vs goldberg match, as well as the shawn michaels unretirement match there too

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
One of my favorite stories about the WWE flopping right on it's face was the WrestleMania XX Goldberg v Lesnar. A match of two fantastic athletes in their prime that should have gone down as one of the most intense displays of beef slapping steel in history ended up being a quiet wet fart of embarrassment.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Thanks to everyone effort posting in this thread. I grew up watching WWF/E from the early 80s through high school/early college and again a bit in the late 00s/early 10s when friends started having PPV parties. I remember going to Universal for WCW tapings and seeing Goldberg when he was new. I also went to a number of WWE shows, house and live - I even got a sign on camera once but I’ve long since lost the screenshot, my sister drew The Hardy’s and Lita as the Powerpuff Girls circa 2000. I remember guys confused why I was screaming my goth head off for Undertaker and not Shawn, but the most massive pop in my memory was watching Chyna wrestle live. I’m so glad I got to see her.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Weren't Gangrel and the brood an actual tie-in with Vampire: the Masquerade?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

SirPhoebos posted:

Weren't Gangrel and the brood an actual tie-in with Vampire: the Masquerade?

I think they just had a licensing deal with White Wolf so they could use the name

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gangrel now owns the name and white wolf has to pay him now

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

gangrel now owns the name and white wolf has to pay him now

did he buy it? last I heard there was just nobody with enough money to pursue the trademark after CCP failed to make EvE: WoD Edition and had to break up and sell WW.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Requesting effortpost on Cody Rhodes in AEW.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Gavok posted:

At WrestleMania, he faced King Kong Bundy in what really should have been the final boss battle in all of this. Bundy was enjoying a brief resurgence in the company. He was a somewhat big threat in the 80s, main-eventing WrestleMania 2 against Hulk Hogan in a cage. His stock fell afterwards and he was gone shortly after WrestleMania 3, but he was certainly being treated as a major threat again eight years later.

King Kong Bundy's career apparently stalled because he did a computer ad in the late 80's, and Vince wasn't happy about it:

King Kong Bundy posted:

“I did a computer commercial in late 87. It ran for two years. For three years, I worked for the computer company. The other years I bought a bar – that didn’t work out. I spent a lot of money. I gambled a lot. I did a computer commercial. It was a Dutch company called VenDex. It was a Dutch company that did $6 billion in sales. I do the commercial. All of a sudden, I got full page ads in USA Today, Time, Newsweek, Sports Illustrated. I hoped Vince wouldn’t find out about it. Needless to say, Vince found out about it big time. Ever since that day, and I’ve been told this and never revealed this, ‘that was the kiss of death to your career’. I say ‘To hell with Vince McMahon’”.

Here's a recent LGR video about the computer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhDmYhopMgA

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
That commercial was hilarious and Vince missed yet another opportunity to make money by updating Bundy's character and maybe even working with the computer company on a sponsorship or something. But nope, Vince poo poo himself in the foot yet again.

Not fixing that typo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SirPhoebos posted:

Requesting effortpost on Cody Rhodes in AEW.

If this hasn't been touched by the time I finish with the Undertaker posts, I'll do it. Especially since by then we'll probably see him redebut in WWE.