Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Glimpse apparently was on the initial ban list I guess

In legacy I don't think it's played anywhere other than elves right? The deck is obviously a lot stronger when all your elves draw you cards, but without GSZ and gaia's cradle I wonder if it's actually too good for modern anymore. You never hear about elves destroying no ban list events

Especially considering how much more powerful the format is, in addition to plague engineer and such being effective at keeping it in check
It's also played in Cheerios, a deck that's seen, uh .... I'm sure someone still plays it as their pet deck somewhere...

Dysgenesis posted:

I think glimpse is a perfectly safe unban in modern however I would also unban hypergenesis so I can't be trusted with these decisions.

I know people tried Beck // Call and the new WG Glimpse and neither caught fire. One mana though is all the difference, and glimpse is a combo piece first and foremost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
happy to report that desertion is legal in premodern

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A goon premodern tournament on xmage or whatever would be very fun imho

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had a sealed game where my opponent was WUR with 3 tamiyo's compleation, wandering emperor, kairi and atsushi, and a bunch of durdlers and card draw to stall until they got those

never seen such insane luck, three mythic pulls in the six sealed packs? madness, I get one if any ever in any of the sealeds I've ever done

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kalvanoo posted:

happy to report that desertion is legal in premodern

Maybe it'll be in New Capenna so it could be Post Modern too.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I feel like the two faces of sealed are "my pool sucks and all my rares are unplayable" and then you randomly spike the event, or at least get a winning record

And then "holy crap I've got a god like pool with insane cards all in the same color" and you proceed to flood out and die every game

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Shortest Path posted:

I'd be down, and vote mtgo

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I'd be down for another xmage league of any format really.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

The Shortest Path posted:

Goon tournaments in general are the most fun I ever really get to have in Constructed.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Evaluating cards for limited without knowing the actual limited environment around them is pointless, hth

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

YggdrasilTM posted:

People will never stop to play tribal, even with plague engineer around. It's like Jund or UW control, there will always be people trying to play these strategies, even when they are terrible decks.

Just DM me next time. Hello, it’s me person who plays a bad tribal deck because it’s all he knows.

Look for me next week as I type up a tournament report where I go 2-6 and then get depression level drunk, I jjust wanted to quell the spells.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mezzanon posted:

Just DM me next time. Hello, it’s me person who plays a bad tribal deck because it’s all he knows.

Look for me next week as I type up a tournament report where I go 2-6 and then get depression level drunk, I jjust wanted to quell the spells.

Ok so are we doing goon tribal decks or goon premodern?
If we're doing goon premodern tribal then I have to ask if pre modern uses current errata because there's only 4 dreadnoughts but I think there's enough Phyrexians to fill out the requirements.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Captain Invictus posted:

I had a sealed game where my opponent was WUR with 3 tamiyo's compleation, wandering emperor, kairi and atsushi, and a bunch of durdlers and card draw to stall until they got those

never seen such insane luck, three mythic pulls in the six sealed packs? madness, I get one if any ever in any of the sealeds I've ever done

I still remember at soi prerelease one guy having 2 Jaces (one was the promo) and an archangel avacyn.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Tokens is a tribal deck

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm sympathetic to people worried about their investment cratering if the RL goes away. After all, ever since basic land became all but free at the draft night land station no one cares to collect Guru lands, Beta Island C, or AN Mountains. With functional variations available so readily those are worth what; a nickel?

New Capenna would have been a good opportunity to experiment with RL actually and be on-theme.

Shady Bootleg Gem Dealer
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a token copy of one of the following:
Mox Pearl, Mox Sapphire, Mox Jet, Mox Ruby, or Mox Emerald.
"I can tell you're a discerning customer. Yes, it's the real deal."

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 22, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I ordered a Crimson Vow gift box off of Amazon since its the only place I can find a decent price on them and I like to but a single fat pack per set. When it arrived, the box had been opened, the die and collectors pack was missing and all the boosters were obviously resealed.

Was I unlucky or is that just a thing that happens now?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I ordered a Crimson Vow gift box off of Amazon since its the only place I can find a decent price on them and I like to but a single fat pack per set. When it arrived, the box had been opened, the die and collectors pack was missing and all the boosters were obviously resealed.

It seems pretty common on Amazon unfortunately if you look at comments. Amazon has a huge counterfeit problem and due to how they store inventory you can’t even get around it by buying from known good sellers or Amazon itself.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did you actually buy from Amazon for did you go for the cheapest, third party seller?

Amazon has had issues. But pretty much over the past year I've yet to hear much about issues if Amazon.com is the seller.

Talk to Amazon to get a replacement. They'll just tell you to keep what they sent and give a new one.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm sympathetic to people worried about their investment cratering if the RL goes away. After all, ever since basic land became all but free at the draft night land station no one cares to collect Guru lands, Beta Island C, or AN Mountains. With functional variations available so readily those are worth what; a nickel?

New Capenna would have been a good opportunity to experiment with RL actually and be on-theme.

Shady Bootleg Gem Dealer
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a token copy of one of the following:
Mox Pearl, Mox Sapphire, Mox Jet, Mox Ruby, or Mox Emerald.
"I can tell you're a discerning customer. Yes, it's the real deal."

Mocks Emerald:
T, Sacrifice Mocks Emerald: Each player adds {G}

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sold and fulfilled by Amazon. They're shipping a replacement I just have to ship the original back within 30 days. Couldn't find a helpline like they used to have to fully explain the situation so I jave to settle for the automated process.

Best I can figure someone took everything, dumped in 8 resealed set booster and applied for one of the return options that just puts the item back into stock.

Vvvv yeah I'm not really worried about that. The packs are all resealed so I doubt anything in there is worth holding on to. I'm just surprised that Vow is the one I'm running into issues with, Eldraine and Zendikar fulfilled just fine.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 22, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Sold and fulfilled by Amazon. They're shipping a replacement I just have to ship the original back within 30 days. Couldn't find a helpline like they used to have to fully explain the situation so I jave to settle for the automated process.

You have to dig around but you should try going through the chat with support tech. There you can ask them if you can not have to bother with shipping the box back. poo poo's opened anyways they're just going to throw it out.

Edit: Wow it looks like Amazon's allowing returns again. For a while they basically stopped accepting returns and was only allowing exchanges.
Edit 2: Looking around some more it looks like they are asking for stuff back :(

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 22, 2022

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I buy sealed product from Amazon all the time and have never had an issue, though I've definitely heard of it happening.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Strong Sauce posted:

You have to dig around but you should try going through the chat with support tech. There you can ask them if you can not have to bother with shipping the box back. poo poo's opened anyways they're just going to throw it out.

Edit: Wow it looks like Amazon's allowing returns again. For a while they basically stopped accepting returns and was only allowing exchanges.
Edit 2: Looking around some more it looks like they are asking for stuff back :(

There was a semi-popular returns scam involving third party sellers. But I don't think that scam is possible buying direct from Amazon so its still a bit weird.

Edit: Amazon started turning a profit recently (last few years) so that's probably most to do with it. Standard capitalist practice now.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 22, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Prof's Dies To Removal podcast in socks is out and while listening I time stamped an interesting bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcDmLMsdz9E&t=1704s

What was it like a month or two ago that there was some Hasbro shareholders that wanted to split WOTC off and have it be it's own thing again? They asked to have a sit down with him to glean any sort of info into possible leverage? Weird. It feels like it's shrewd and clueless at the same time.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Their site is still up. You can read their deck. It's basically how you agitate for any change in any public company. Buy some shares to show you have a legitimate interest in the outcome. Put out a slide deck with your position, and try to affect the makeup of the board either directly through your own slate or with pressure through other resolutions at the AGM. I think wotc being free to invest as much of their proceeds back into improving their products would be good, but on the other hand the focus on the short term revenue over everything else could in fact become stronger in that situation who knows.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I agree with Kenobi on this, they're a hedge fund at the end of the day. Hedge funds exist so they can accrue a huge amount of profit and according to Prof they attempting to portray themselves as anything else makes me automatically suspicious of their motives.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not to mention a few of the dog whistles they've used about ending 'performative decision making' at WotC.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They're very clear about their motives. Spinning off wotc in to a separate high growth company would be 'better' (i.e. higher returns through stock value growth or dividends) for shareholders than the current situation. As a shareholding entity there really is no other motivation. They hope by making this change number goes up basically.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a storybook brawl thread? Looks like they were bought out by FTX the crypto exchange. I presume there was big backlash and lsv's twitter has gone private. In short, :lol:

e: Oh looks like I've been blocked for making fun of his sponsorship for the amazon wheel of time show haha

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Is there a storybook brawl thread? Looks like they were bought out by FTX the crypto exchange. I presume there was big backlash and lsv's twitter has gone private. In short, :lol:

e: Oh looks like I've been blocked for making fun of his sponsorship for the amazon wheel of time show haha
Sounds like you want the finance thread. Page four, scam for 1000 and go again

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Sounds like you want the finance thread. Page four, scam for 1000 and go again

Got a link? I would love to lol AND lmao at this ongoing development

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Insurrectionist posted:

Got a link? I would love to lol AND lmao at this ongoing development

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981883.

I also went to know what's up with this

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

holy poo poo lmfao

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/comments/tkh1nu/new_images_of_new_capenna/
Extremely cool if true

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

surprising that Amazon is allowing returns on cards again, though I suspect that will lead to more resealed product scams. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that buying through Amazon (and not a third party seller) doesn't actually mean anything, they have affiliated orgs and companies that handle fulfillment and bezos just stamps his name on it. But I may be misremembering

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

New Capena is actually Alara confirmed.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

HootTheOwl posted:

New Capena is actually Alara confirmed.

That’d be a pretty wild twist

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Balon posted:

That’d be a pretty wild twist

It worked for kamigawa. We were joking in the discord that were going to get a wild west homelands set now too.

Old set + new genre type seems like a home run!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

New Capenna is actually Fiora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Looks like it'll be the 4c commanders drawn in New Capenna style as a Secret Lair, and the art for them being usable as sleeves in Arena.