Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure it ever was, at least from the point in time where you have a bunch of conspiracy rags going on about "unmask the enemy, the Protestant, allied with the Jew and the Freemason against the Catholic" or its equivalent of Jesuit Vatican assassins.

I mean in the immediate post-reformation period I think there's a decent argument it was. You have quite a few examples of people being burned after refusing to convert (or reconvert) to one or the other, and the people ordering the killing for no reason but religious difference - obviously it was sometimes politically pragmatic for someone to die as well but certainly not in all cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I think it's a lot of genuine faithful who lived and died by said faiths, being manipulated and manuevered by a bunch of cynical overlords.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

A recent Freedom of Information request by the Canary disclosed that the Met Police strip-searched 172,000 people in the past five years, including 9,000 under 18 and 2,000 under 16. or, to put it another way, the Met strip-searched an average of 94 people a day since 2017, including five under-eighteens and one under-sixteen.

Child molestation is a regular fact of life in the Met, and I see no reason why these fine officers should be unduly persecuted for carrying out the regular duties expected of their office.

Hmmmm. Starting to think these ACAB folks might have a point.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Ballsacks. Just went to get something out of the freezer and discovered I didn't shut the door properly last time I got something out On Sunday. Everything is now room temperature an I'm going to have to chuck everything and restock it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean in the immediate post-reformation period I think there's a decent argument it was. You have quite a few examples of people being burned after refusing to convert (or reconvert) to one or the other, and the people ordering the killing for no reason but religious difference - obviously it was sometimes politically pragmatic for someone to die as well but certainly not in all cases.
Probably originally yeah, and with persecution of true believer and pacifist groups like Quakers then for at least one side it was a matter of sincere religious faith, but then on top of that you've got revenge orientation like "remember St. Bartholomew's Day, we can never trust those bastards, which excuses what we will now do" and things like fear of crypto Jews where even converting or your parents having converted didn't make you safe, so there was a more definite component of ethnic hatred there. There's other cases where it seems more like a community oriented "their village/city/province attacked our village/city/province, as it is well known that Papists do" rather than specific articles of faith.

It definitely did seem to go through a phase of full [ecclesiastical Qanon noises] between the early modern and 20th century versions of sectarianism though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hell yeah baby, just a Labour MP arguing for sending a British Expeditionary Force to defend the ports of Ukraine

https://twitter.com/BarrySheerman/status/1506357069888249866?s=20&t=-WhMpyHCA_asc1YKbgqCyw

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Ballsacks. Just went to get something out of the freezer and discovered I didn't shut the door properly last time I got something out On Sunday. Everything is now room temperature an I'm going to have to chuck everything and restock it.

Can you cook it all up quick and refreeze once cooked? (Depends what it is!)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

This is how you learn to shut the door.

Luckily i don't have a freezer or freezer section in my fridge.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

Hell yeah baby, just a Labour MP arguing for sending a British Expeditionary Force to defend the ports of Ukraine

https://twitter.com/BarrySheerman/status/1506357069888249866?s=20&t=-WhMpyHCA_asc1YKbgqCyw

lol masturbatory boomer WW2 cosplay is going to get us all killed

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can you cook it all up quick and refreeze once cooked? (Depends what it is!)
The meat which is the most expensive stuff is too warm for me to trust how long it's been defrosted. I've rescued some irish soda bread and a apple crumble my mum made, which were at the back. Everything else I've chucked, and I'll just have to eat the cost.

On the upside, it's a chance to defrost the shelves...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

, and I'll just have to eat the cost.

Well, at least you'll have something to eat

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pablo Bluth posted:

The meat which is the most expensive stuff is too warm for me to trust how long it's been defrosted. I've rescued some irish soda bread and a apple crumble my mum made, which were at the back. Everything else I've chucked, and I'll just have to eat the cost.

On the upside, it's a chance to defrost the shelves...

Ooof. That really sucks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I've found the perfect military hardman mission for Barry Shitpeas to defend the world from the Russians.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pablo Bluth posted:

That puts the time I melted part of a block of butter that was next to the fridge light after I left the door open slightly overnight to shame. Yikes, that really sucks. The positive is that after I did this once I quickly learned to double check I close the fridge & freezer doors to not do it ever again.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

forkboy84 posted:

I think it is highly likely that Starmer will be petitioning to send troops to Ukraine asap

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1506118381681926144

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the side of the russians, presumably, to help destroy that vital military infrastructure.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

US rolls back Trump-era tariffs on UK steel

BBC posted:

The US has agreed to ease Trump-era tariffs on UK steel and aluminium shipments, resolving an issue that had strained relations between the allies.
See? The US has UK interests in mind. Take that, EU losers.

BBC posted:

The move follows earlier deals with the European Union and Japan over the controversial taxes, which were imposed by former President Donald Trump in 2018 in the name of national security.

Ahh. Well, nevertheless.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Marmaduke! posted:

I think it is highly likely that Starmer will be petitioning to send troops to Ukraine asap

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1506118381681926144

From that pic it looks like he's already been there.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
heil/money/news/article-10640163/Why-axing-landlines-means-vulnerable-people-cut-off.html

quote:

When an elderly homeowner’s house caught fire around half a mile from a remote Scottish village last November, he was relying on his landline to call 999 for help.

The fire had broken out after Storm Arwen had cut off his power, and with little or no mobile phone signal in rural Aberdeenshire and no immediate neighbours, the pensioner’s traditional telephone was his only hope.

Yet the unnamed old man’s landline was down because he had not long been switched from the old traditional copper wires to a new digital phone line that runs on the broadband internet network. Without power, the internet connection failed. And, unable to call for help, the man’s home burned down.

The unthinkable story, told to Money Mail by the man’s MP, Andrew Bowie, illustrates just why so many charities and campaigners are worried about telephone providers’ march towards a digital future.

Telecoms giants including BT and Virgin aim to move all 29 million UK homes on to the new digital system that works via the internet by 2025. However, the rollout has so far been marred with tales of pensioners being left without a working phone line for days.

There are also fears that panic alarms will not work after the switchover.

Writing in Money Mail today, Dame Esther Rantzen says the rollout is ‘ageism gone mad’.

Regulator Ofcom has also now written to all firms involved to ensure that customers are warned that their phones could no longer work in a power cut.

Loads of places round here have no mobile phone and only very very slow internet connections.

If only there were a politician who had realized the importance of fast, free broadband for all.... for sure he would have won an election... oh no, I forgot, it was apparently too 'fantastic' back in the before times of 2019.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

And on the pedestal, these words appear:
This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Scene 1: a turkey farm. Time: early December, every year.

Turkey A: You have to vote for Christmas, mate.
Turkey B: Why? Seems bad for us. The other guy says--
Turkey A: Because I'll call you antisemitic if you don't.

Scene 2: (tbd)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/cymrurouge/status/1506534006736793605?t=kfR0bTB-UyRZv68ed7DKEw&s=19

Inflation at stupid levels, surely Super Sunak will save us....

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1506399371792896007?t=YaBb3Kd-VbiLY4VKiPHS8Q&s=19

Ah.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Only Kindness posted:

Scene 1: a turkey farm. Time: early December, every year.

Turkey A: You have to vote for Christmas, mate.
Turkey B: Why? Seems bad for us. The other guy says--
Turkey A: Because I'll call you antisemitic if you don't.

Scene 2: (tbd)

You just made me imagine an Ardman Animation but it's kinda like Animal Farm except about Brexit, and it sucks

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

You just made me imagine an Ardman Animation but it's kinda like Animal Farm except about Brexit, and it sucks

Chicken Run but the camp is EUROCRATS :argh:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Pizza-cutting-edge journalamisjism.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Dishy sunak can fiddle MY expenses reports thirsty kunesburg

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone know what happened with that council tax rebate he announced last time round? Just had my 2022/23 bill and there's nothing about a £150 deduction on it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think they'll either appear as a separate rebate later in the year or they have been spaffed up the big wall of tory promises.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

jiggerypokery posted:

Dishy sunak can fiddle MY expenses reports thirsty kunesburg

I am smashing the report button, but nothing is happening?!

Also, had a dream last night where I woke up after seeing the nuclear blast from Greenwich park which was a bit... yeah.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Clearly a metaphor for god's own time of GMT being nuked by the daylight savings wokerati every spring for no good reason.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

josh04 posted:

From that pic it looks like he's already been there.

He's going to send his elite Starmtroopers to finish the job

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

Anyone know what happened with that council tax rebate he announced last time round? Just had my 2022/23 bill and there's nothing about a £150 deduction on it.

My bill had a leaflet saying that the rebate would be sent to the account I have my direct debit set up with. Literally a cash payment for every property you own, the Tory-est possible stimulus package.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or at least a close second to Pass the Pigs.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

I think it's a lot of genuine faithful who lived and died by said faiths, being manipulated and manuevered by a bunch of cynical overlords.

Ehhhh....people tend to think this a lot, here's a good article by a historian bloke that covers it. He's talking about the Middle Ages, I know more about the mid 17th century.

It's not really true, or not entirely true. Thing is it is quite possible to sincerely believe in your religion and also be a cynical bastard and also for your genuine belief in your religion to overlap with and be tempered/overridden by political concerns - and religion is a political concern here. If you say you're a Catholic in the British Isles (especially England) in the mid 17th century you are implicitly saying you are under the political influence of the Pope who is a hostile political power (you know, the guy who backed the Armada last century and in whose name Guy Fawkes tried to blow up Parliament - it's getting pretty close to being a Muslim and saying 'I think the UK should be a Caliphate' in the modern UK). Conversely being openly Protestant in a Catholic country hints at 'and also I would like to overthrow the social order' because, well, a lot of that happened last century. Your religion is a political statement but also usually one held in earnest belief. It's just that, well, much like today, sometimes power is more important than principles, 'Paris is worth a Mass' and all, and pre-Civil War England allying with Catholic powers against the Dutch when expedient and so on and so forth. Doesn't mean those principles don't exist at all, though.

So yeah, probably some people high up (and middling) didn't really believe. Most would to one extent or another though. Someone like Edward VI, I don't think anyone would claim wasn't an actual, fervent Protestant - which has Consequences, without him we probably end up going back Catholic, which in turn has geopolitical implications.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also in a more modern context, I don't find it hard to believe that modern religious leaders simultaneously think that they are god's own chosen and also that they have every right to do whatever they want as a result.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

Clearly a metaphor for god's own time of GMT being nuked by the daylight savings wokerati every spring for no good reason.

GMT belongs in the bin, make it Summer Time forever

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

OwlFancier posted:

Also in a more modern context, I don't find it hard to believe that modern religious leaders simultaneously think that they are god's own chosen and also that they have every right to do whatever they want as a result.

That's literally what every evangelical believes.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

sebzilla posted:

make it Summer Time forever

*finger curls on the monkeys paw*

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm not sure how it's gonna happen, but I have an annoying premonition that the UK and Ireland/EU are going to diverge on timezones, and it's gonna be a huge sectarian :btroll: issue in NI and extremely annoying for everyone on the border

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
When Irish Eyes Are Smiling, Adjusted for GMT