Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lordshmee posted:

I still vividly remember the first time I really understood that almost everyone is bullshitting their way through everything all the time. I was well into my 30s. I have to remind myself very often too.

I think most people don’t ever even have that epiphany. There simply never will be critical mass. The younger generation will never save you. They’re all too busy slotting into place when their elders die. it’s all very tidy.

I actually vividly remember it too. I think it was at my first big department meeting at my first job, everyone got together in a room and brought out the whiteboards and we were planning out our next fiscal quarter basically. I was staring at the people standing and sitting in groups around the room and talking and it hit me how made-up it all was. That the rigor of white collar office work, the bureaucracy and structure, is 90% roleplaying, and how fake the work personas of everyone involved were versus what they were actually like as people. We were all literally following instructions out of a manual like a D&D campaign, but for office work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Lordshmee posted:

I still vividly remember the first time I really understood that almost everyone is bullshitting their way through everything all the time. I was well into my 30s. I have to remind myself very often too.

I think most people don’t ever even have that epiphany. There simply never will be critical mass. The younger generation will never save you. They’re all too busy slotting into place when their elders die. it’s all very tidy.
I didn't really know what or why the gently caress things were happening in 2009, just that they were happening. But by 2015 - and into my 30s as well - when that movie about a collapse came out, and turns out... no grown-ups anywhere. Then tromp won, rofl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlbG6G_iHLU&t=140s
LEH 0.0000

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/21/us/lake-powell-capacity-shrinking-drought-climate/index.html

lmao im glad that this article is buried under a massive weight of bullshit "analysis" about how putin might just cyber attack the US.

BITCH WE GOT REAL PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW

quote:

And last week, Lake Powell dipped below the critical threshold of 3,525 feet above sea level, sparking additional concerns about water supply and hydropower generation millions of people in the West rely on for electricity.

The significance of the dwindling water supply along the Colorado cannot be overstated.

lol when that baby drops below 3490 feet it can't generate power anymore for 5 million people.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ens/5836991001/

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Mar 22, 2022

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

silicone thrills posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/21/us/lake-powell-capacity-shrinking-drought-climate/index.html

lmao im glad that this article is buried under a massive weight of bullshit "analysis" about how putin might just cyber attack the US.

BITCH WE GOT REAL PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW

Emergency transitional temporary until end of service life clean coal plant construction starts next year, I assume.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Lol looking forward to acid rain being a thing again

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Do not sleep on this:

The Extinctionati Manifesto posted:

... Net negative emissions are a lot more difficult to achieve than many imagine. An op-ed in The Economist entitled "Can we remove enough CO2 from the atmosphere to get back to safe levels?" says: "To continue reading this article, sign up here for a reasonable monthly fee and get 50% off on special offers!" ...

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.
Pretty neat visual of hosed here
https://twitter.com/Climeworks/status/1506178998606389250

And it's yet another chart where you can clearly plot Reagan on.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loving MMO map rear end State

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

a resurgent goonswarm appears to be in the process of invading austin texas

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oh is only half the state on fire?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lost Time posted:

the evidence is in: its goatman

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Real hurthling! posted:

oh is only half the state on fire?

I like to think of it as a state half not on fire :)

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I actually vividly remember it too. I think it was at my first big department meeting at my first job, everyone got together in a room and brought out the whiteboards and we were planning out our next fiscal quarter basically. I was staring at the people standing and sitting in groups around the room and talking and it hit me how made-up it all was. That the rigor of white collar office work, the bureaucracy and structure, is 90% roleplaying, and how fake the work personas of everyone involved were versus what they were actually like as people. We were all literally following instructions out of a manual like a D&D campaign, but for office work.
lol i'd never thought of it that way but this is perfect

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Lost Time posted:

There's a lag between emissions and climate change so the actual increases starting in the 80s are likely the result of the 50s onwards American car culture.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the guy pleading with us to only make it 33% worse than it is has me lollin

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lost Time posted:

I like how it started going up in the 1940s and then ~ something happened ~ and it went back down for a bit. Wonder what that could be.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lordshmee posted:

I had it last summer. It's extremely depressing.

Most everyone is wildly incompetent, including me.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

whenever I think about the future of the world, I let out a Ramiel scream

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I like to think of it as a state half not on fire :)

Yet.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Marenghi posted:

There's a lag between emissions and climate change so the actual increases starting in the 80s are likely the result of the 50s onwards American car culture.

what were we doing 30 years ago? :thunk:

oh yeah, classifying SUVs as light trucks

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/weathertrevor/status/1506428814817210370

the new normal

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

jesus christ new normal indeed, new orleans' most powerful tornado in recorded history was only 2017, this is so brutal just hearing local reporting on https://www.wdsu.com/article/new-orleans-tornado-damage/39508245

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

SHANGHAI, March 22 (Reuters) - Not a single country managed to meet the World Health Organization's (WHO) air quality standard in 2021, a survey of pollution data in 6,475 cities showed on Tuesday, and smog even rebounded in some regions after a COVID-related dip.

The WHO recommends that average annual readings of small and hazardous airborne particles known as PM2.5 should be no more than 5 micrograms per cubic metre after changing its guidelines last year, saying that even low concentrations caused significant health risks.

But only 3.4% of the surveyed cities met the standard in 2021, according to data complied by IQAir, a Swiss pollution technology company that monitors air quality. As many as 93 cities saw PM2.5 levels at 10 times the recommended level.

https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/no-country-met-who-air-quality-standards-2021-data-2022-03-22

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1506383000979783689

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
stupid abc, it's spelled "pwn"

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TACD posted:

luckily my new commemorative coral reef NFTs will last forever

a portion of each minting goes to a charity that sounds like it does something important, there’s no better way to remember these beautiful plants or whatever 🪸
:negative:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
conservationists are shocked when someone spends several ape pictures to poison the great barrier reef to make their coral pictures more valuable

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
all the serious people who might have once been trying to save the reefs are completely resigned to the plain unavoidable fact that they will all inevitably die. the only people left are opportunistic grifters who have no intention of saving reefs nor do they have the expertise to do so if they tried.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rectal Death Adept posted:

conservationists are shocked when someone spends several ape pictures to poison the great barrier reef to make their coral pictures more valuable
jokes on you, im spending all my coral pictures to kill the apes

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

all the serious people who might have once been trying to save the reefs are completely resigned to the plain unavoidable fact that they will all inevitably die. the only people left are opportunistic grifters who have no intention of saving reefs nor do they have the expertise to do so if they tried.
but if you still live in the world where hard working conservationists can recycle and drive around on boats giving the reefs a pep talk and that somehow reverts drastic global changes to the oceans and the conditions in them then you would proudly display your coral NFT as your twitter avatar to prove you are doing your part

it's not all grift, some of it is delusion

TACD posted:

jokes on you, im spending all my coral pictures to kill the apes

you just made the ape pictures more valuable, you fool

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

it's not all grift, some of it is delusion

drat that would make a good thread title for the doomsday economics thread

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tempora Mutantur posted:

jesus christ new normal indeed, new orleans' most powerful tornado in recorded history was only 2017, this is so brutal just hearing local reporting on https://www.wdsu.com/article/new-orleans-tornado-damage/39508245

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gysu0kgFwT0

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
I for one am willing to live with sporadic tornadic activity if it means kweens like Kim can continue to live their opulent girlboss lifestyles :blush: :biglips:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

5 micrograms per square meter of air is an 'air quality index' of 20, btw

don't see that too often

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

lol it's cool that heat domes were a crazy hypothetical weather disaster that hardly anyone had heard of, and now there've been two in two years

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
It's fine. Plants have been growing in various climates for 500,000,000 years now. They can adapt to radical abrupt destabilization of seasonal weather patterns, obviously.

Does nobody remember the Irish Potato Normal Year Where Nothing Happened?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

"While the bureau has forecast declining water levels for years, experts say nothing in climate models suggested the precipitous drop would happen so quickly."

Unfortunately, she said, cash can’t stop a drought.

“If you have money, that doesn’t mean you can buy water,” she said.

:sickos:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

by god that's the water knife's music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Help I'm new to options and I think I got assigned the great barrier reef