Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Never forget Kitty Kitten and Carrying Cargo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Yinlock posted:

Shot Weapon and Full Flat are the ones where I had to sit down and have a think for a few minutes to really process them

What about MF McTomin? The MF stands for MF.

I used to assume it was supposed to be Maph or Maf, but apparently I was wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Klimton Nicchini son of Zuchini Nicchini.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I went to a gundam panel at an anime convention shortly after Unicorn's announcement and everyone just spent, like, a good third of the panel making fun of Full Frontal's name.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

This is a great story, but just a reminder to take this sort of thing with a grain of salt—Tomino is notorious for just making poo poo up in interviews and contradicting himself. Like his story about Char Aznable's name origin being like "this guy comes Char-ging in!", vs. the time he freely said at a Western anime con that he was named for Charles Aznavour.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Full Flat
Daba Myroad
Klim Nick
Woody Malden
Alpha A Bate

I really wish I knew HOW Tomino came up with these names, like where do you draw Agrippa Maintainer from?
Alpha A Bate is from 0083, which had no Tomino involvement. It just goes to show you that somehow, one of the lasting hallmarks of the Gundam franchise is the weird Tomino-esque silly names.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

AradoBalanga posted:

Alpha A Bate is from 0083, which had no Tomino involvement. It just goes to show you that somehow, one of the lasting hallmarks of the Gundam franchise is the weird Tomino-esque silly names.

Bring Stabity is another good example of that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Inferno-sama posted:

Bring Stabity is another good example of that.

Let's not forget Biscuit, Cookie, and Cracker Griffon.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Policenaut posted:

Full Flat
Daba Myroad
Klim Nick
Woody Malden
Alpha A Bate

I really wish I knew HOW Tomino came up with these names, like where do you draw Agrippa Maintainer from?

Okay hold up Woody Malden is actually part of the other genre of Tomino names, the Actually Shockingly Normal Name. Like Todd Guinness, who is from Boston, and you know he's from Boston because his name is Todd Guinness. Most of Tomino's shows have that one character with a normal-rear end name just to prove Tomino does know what human names sound like.

Also, for suits for Quattro, I'm surprised there hasn't been some alt-continuity version of something from Gihren's Greed, similar to Casval's Gundam. There have to be scenarios in which Quattro stays with the AEUG and eventually joins Londo Bell, and you'd think they'd have him piloting a gold-colored variant of something from the CCA-era MSVs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It's been a while since I played this, has all the DLC released yet?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

It's been a while since I played this, has all the DLC released yet?

Just two of the four known, with no update on the other two.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dang, I was thinking I just didn't notice the update messages.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Have they actually announced more DLC for 30, or do we still just know from datamining that it will come some day?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Have they actually announced more DLC for 30, or do we still just know from datamining that it will come some day?

Just the datamine and the absurdly inconclusive ending to the previous DLC.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Prism posted:

What about MF McTomin? The MF stands for MF.

I used to assume it was supposed to be Maph or Maf, but apparently I was wrong.

MF Mctomin is a layered trap because it seems relatively normal-ish but then he starts calling himself "MF McTomin" constantly and oh that's his actual name, and he's super proud of it

EclecticTastes posted:

Okay hold up Woody Malden is actually part of the other genre of Tomino names, the Actually Shockingly Normal Name. Like Todd Guinness, who is from Boston, and you know he's from Boston because his name is Todd Guinness. Most of Tomino's shows have that one character with a normal-rear end name just to prove Tomino does know what human names sound like.

Also, for suits for Quattro, I'm surprised there hasn't been some alt-continuity version of something from Gihren's Greed, similar to Casval's Gundam. There have to be scenarios in which Quattro stays with the AEUG and eventually joins Londo Bell, and you'd think they'd have him piloting a gold-colored variant of something from the CCA-era MSVs.

The Fed campaign can have Quattro join up, though you need a perfect reputation(aka no warcrimes) to get him to stick around past Zeta, but then CCA never happens so he doesn't get a Londo Bell unit.

Quattro is just cursed to forever be glued to that fuckin gold thing

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 23, 2022

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yinlock posted:

The Hyaku Shiki rules. It’s not the suit’s fault that the SRW game designers don’t give it higher numbers.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ethiser posted:

The Hyaku Shiki rules. It’s not the suit’s fault that the SRW game designers don’t give it higher numbers.

It's okay. The only thing that really stands out about it is it's hilarious backstory where some guy wanted to make a design that would last 100 years, and that design led to one unit and nothing else.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

The Fed campaign can have Quattro join up, though you need a perfect reputation(aka no warcrimes) to get him to stick around past Zeta, but then CCA never happens so he doesn't get a Londo Bell unit.

Look, if he lets it out of his sight, Beecha gets it.

Beecha.

Can you really blame him for wanting to avoid that?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yinlock posted:

It's okay. The only thing that really stands out about it is it's hilarious backstory where some guy wanted to make a design that would last 100 years, and that design led to one unit and nothing else.

It's design did last a real long time though!

As the Delta Plus.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I give McTomin's name a pass because it's frankly the least ridiculous part about him.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Let's not forget Biscuit, Cookie, and Cracker Griffon.
Can't forget their grandmother, Pretzel Griffon, either.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Can't forget their grandmother, Pretzel Griffon, either.

Sakura Pretzel.

Presumably, she was their mother's mother.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vizuyos posted:

UC Gundam is an absolutely massive setting with a shitton of mecha designs at this point, though, so SRW could easily adopt some weird sidestory mech if they wanted to give somebody something different. Hell, the Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai is already a MSV unit; why not adapt the Zeta Plus or ZII as well?

The ZII showed up a couple times in the Alpha games but was cursed with being both mediocre and having very poor availability. MP units are just kinda dead weight in SRW without squad/twin units that make outfitting a huge army more important.

Pour one out for Z1 where unlocking the Dijeh was actually worth the effort

Justin_Brett posted:

I give McTomin's name a pass because it's frankly the least ridiculous part about him.

The Elite 13 probably sounded like a great idea to Tomino until he had to make 13 of them

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The MP Nu looks cooler than the standard Nu there I said it

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RBA Starblade posted:

The MP Nu looks cooler than the standard Nu there I said it

That's true of a lot of MPs.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The MP Nu is just a recolor so it just comes down to preference really

I'm not much of a fan of MP versions of big boy robots, mostly because they tend to strip away everything that made the original robot effective in favor of paper mache armor and a bb gun. MP robots made to be MP from the ground-up are cool though.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
The MP Nu Gundam and F91 are the only examples I know of where the MP unit is actually pretty solid. In the Alpha games, they made great squadmates.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Isn't the MP F91 literally just more essentially identical F91s, or do they lack some system that powered up the original? I know they're physically identical, at least.

And then there's the victory gundam, which was designed to be MP in the first place.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

The Golux posted:

Isn't the MP F91 literally just more essentially identical F91s, or do they lack some system that powered up the original? I know they're physically identical, at least.

And then there's the victory gundam, which was designed to be MP in the first place.

Basically the only thing missing from the MP F91 is the Biocomputer.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I like ace customs of grunt units. gunbarrel striker :hellyeah:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

super-redguy posted:

Basically the only thing missing from the MP F91 is the Biocomputer.

The MP F91 also lacks the Metal Peel-off Effect that generates the unit's signature afterimages, and its native specs are apparently a bit lower, since it lacks the limiters that the original had installed. Or in other words, its native specs are closer to the original F91's limited capabilities, rather than its full abilities.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Full Flat
Daba Myroad
Klim Nick
Woody Malden
Alpha A Bate
Max Boot

shh nobody tell him

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Not technically SRW-related, but it's related to a series that's in 30 plus I assume there's some mecha fans in this thread:

Has anyone here read the actual GGG Vs Betterman story, enough to be familiar with what the characters and robots are up to at the end of/after the story? I know that Guy, Mikoto, J, and Renais go to space in the J-Ark, and Mamoru, Kaido, and Hinoki and Keita are still on earth and probably still active, but I'm not sure about what Galeon's doing, and whether genesic gaomachines get their minds get reinstalled, and if the vehicle robos have bodies rebuilt and their minds back online. And I think I read something about GaoFighGar and GaoGaiGo being wrecked but not so much about the V2, or if it's just irrelevant once they need Final GaoGaiGar. I know 30 changed a lot of stuff with the ending and the extended cast so I wanted to check.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
In order, the present-time Galeon is still around (I think also on the space trip, I'd have to check), and the Brave Robos are all fine and intact since they actually got to do stuff there. In the novel Final GaoGaiGar was just necessary out of circumstance, since all the other machines had gotten messed up fighting Ruin Genesic right before the finale. They were repairable, the time just wasn't available.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

The MP Nu Gundam and F91 are the only examples I know of where the MP unit is actually pretty solid. In the Alpha games, they made great squadmates.

I forgot about the F91, yeah that one works out pretty well too mostly because it's Space Magic device isn't integral to the unit as a whole like it is for the Zeta.

It does leave it with a lack of a solid finisher though, VSBRs are hella strong lore-wise but kinda lame on their own.

e: But yes bring back squads. The mountains of useless side-characters suddenly become real exciting and weird secrets/MP units are great instead of something you use once then ignore forever. Hell even just twins go a long way to making everyone useful.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 26, 2022

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Yinlock posted:

I forgot about the F91, yeah that one works out pretty well too mostly because it's Space Magic device isn't integral to the unit as a whole like it is for the Zeta.

It does leave it with a lack of a solid finisher though, VSBRs are hella strong lore-wise but kinda lame on their own.

e: But yes bring back squads. The mountains of useless side-characters suddenly become real exciting and weird secrets/MP units are great instead of something you use once then ignore forever. Hell even just twins go a long way to making everyone useful.

The VSBR gets stronger the further back you go, at least relative to other options. The F91 is the only Gundam aside from the Nu Gundam that can really kick rear end at the end of any original timeline SRW. The Zeta and ZZ are held back by the Limit stat (may it burn in hell) along with generally lower stats, because back then Banpresto aimed for a high degree of lore accuracy in terms of how powerful the various UC mobile suits were. Kamille and Judau were always better served being put into CCA-era suits with funnels, like the Jagd Doga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the pile of useless grunts are included for a reason. you almost never need to use them, but the option to make the likes of beecha an unstoppable engine of destruction is there if you want it.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the pile of useless grunts are included for a reason. you almost never need to use them, but the option to make the likes of beecha an unstoppable engine of destruction is there if you want it.

Note that if you want this you should spend a great deal of time in meditation to learn to deal with unhealthy desires that lead to suffering.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I try to avoid using a lot of protagonists, because a lot of the time, to me the protagonist is less interesting than their supporting cast.

Beecha... is not the more interesting supporting cast I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone pick up relayer? I'm wrapping up a game and wouldn't mind large robot action.