Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Keromaru5 posted:

Speaking of which, one slight IIMM: just whom does Commissioner Gordon think he's talking to when Alfred answers the Batphone?

Do you mean that Gordon is schizophrenic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In movies/tv shows where someone is being kept prisoner for long periods of times, they just show them bound in a very clean area, even if days/weeks have elapsed. Where's all the poop and stuff. It can't all be contained in the pants. They don't even have a bucket so it has to be somewhere.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Do you mean that Gordon is schizophrenic?

I guess they mean that it should not be hard to work out who Batman is because Alfred just answers the drat phone sounding like himself. But then it wouldn't be hard anyway, really. Even Gotham can't have that many billionaires with space in their house for bat-themed cars and planes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought they meant “Oh great, who does Gordon think he’s talking to this time?”

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In movies/tv shows where someone is being kept prisoner for long periods of times, they just show them bound in a very clean area, even if days/weeks have elapsed. Where's all the poop and stuff. It can't all be contained in the pants. They don't even have a bucket so it has to be somewhere.

On the TV show The Flash they would regularly lock villains who had powers in "The Pipeline" which were these tiny cubicles that had absolutely no furniture in them. It took like 5 years or something for them to show that the cells did have toilets, they just folded out of the walls. Although the cells were still too small for anyone to actually lie down in.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

They sleep sitting on the toilet, duh.

I love how stupid and cheesy the CW superhero shows can be but that was pretty dumb, yeah.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
If I remember correctly the TVIV threads at the time referred to this as "No-Lunch Supermax"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HopperUK posted:

I guess they mean that it should not be hard to work out who Batman is because Alfred just answers the drat phone sounding like himself.
Yep, that's what I meant. He never seems to question why an elderly British man always answers the phone before Batman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PizzaProwler posted:

If I remember correctly the TVIV threads at the time referred to this as "No-Lunch Supermax"

Although there was a deleted scene that they put out online that showed them getting lunch for all the imprisoned metas and they did take dietary considerations like one guy was vegan.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

On the TV show The Flash they would regularly lock villains who had powers in "The Pipeline" which were these tiny cubicles that had absolutely no furniture in them. It took like 5 years or something for them to show that the cells did have toilets, they just folded out of the walls. Although the cells were still too small for anyone to actually lie down in.

And then they also introduced a proper super villain prison after that just to reassure people that the criminal justice system was at least pretending to work in the Arrowverse. But that was around the time I stopped watching the show because it just became abysmal and not fun anymore. It was never good, but it eventually crossed a line where it just stopped being fun to watch, which is the only saving grace of a show it its type.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

nine-gear crow posted:

And then they also introduced a proper super villain prison after that just to reassure people that the criminal justice system was at least pretending to work in the Arrowverse. But that was around the time I stopped watching the show because it just became abysmal and not fun anymore. It was never good, but it eventually crossed a line where it just stopped being fun to watch, which is the only saving grace of a show it its type.

Was it in the season that hinges on the fastest man alive not being fastest man alive?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There was also that hilarious moment where Joe tried to spitball the idea of a more legit prison to his CO and the guy just responds with something like "Are you about to admit to me that you have been holding people illegally in an unregulated facility in aid of some vigilantes? Because you should be WAY smarter than that."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DarkDobe posted:

Was it in the season that hinges on the fastest man alive not being fastest man alive?

Basically there's Season 1 Flash and then there's... the rest of The Flash :smith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HopperUK posted:

I guess they mean that it should not be hard to work out who Batman is because Alfred just answers the drat phone sounding like himself. But then it wouldn't be hard anyway, really. Even Gotham can't have that many billionaires with space in their house for bat-themed cars and planes.

Honestly, secret identities make a lot more sense when both readers and writers stop acting like the people in-universe should have the kind of knowledge you could only get from watching it. Why would they assume Batman is a billionaire at all? Or a public figure? Two-Face in BTAS theorises there's a whole team of them pretending to be one guy. It's much more plausible than the truth.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why would they assume Batman is a billionaire at all?
How else did he get all those fancy vehicles and gadgets? Maybe he's not a billionaire, but he's definitely being backed by one. Probably whoever's making money replacing all of the skylight glass tbh

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FFT posted:

How else did he get all those fancy vehicles and gadgets? Maybe he's not a billionaire, but he's definitely being backed by one. Probably whoever's making money replacing all of the skylight glass tbh

It's even been lampshaded in the movies. "Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jedit posted:

It's even been lampshaded in the movies. "Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FFT posted:

How else did he get all those fancy vehicles and gadgets? Maybe he's not a billionaire, but he's definitely being backed by one.

I'd assume secret government funding. Maybe a three letter agency testing new weapons on the American people.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

He does seem to be working with the local police :hmmyes:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of Arrowverse shows, I still don't know which universe what DC shows/movies belong to.

It's my understanding there are two MAIN ones:
Arrowverse (Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning, Batgirl*, Supergirl, Superman and Lois*)
SnyderVerse (Man of Steel, BvS, Justice League (and related ones like the WW and Aquaman movies,) both Suicide Squads and Birds of Prey, and Peacemaker)

*I'm actually not 100% sure if these are part of Arrowverse or not? I only ever watched like five episodes of The Flash when it started)

And that have had a bit of multiverse crossover shenanigans from the Crisis on Infinite Earths sage on the Arrowverse shows? Which also pulled in older stuff like Smallville?

Then there's ones that seem to be entirely in their own universe that hasn't touched any of the others (as far as I know? Haven't watched all of them):
The Batman (new movie)
Doom Patrol
Joker
Titans (or maybe Titans is in Arrowverse?)

Not listing any of the cartoons because there's so many of them, original DCAU stuff, the various one-off movies, etc...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of Arrowverse shows, I still don't know which universe what DC shows/movies belong to.

The TV and movie universes are entirely separate.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't think DC really cares anymore which is a nice alternative to the MCU.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

It's this. DC is purposely not caring about continuity unless it wants to. We'll probably see Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and the Flash stay in their Snyderverse ecosystem with the same actors… until they're replaced. Margot Robbie's been pretty good at producing the Harley Quinn universe so that will likely stay for the foreseeable future too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jedit posted:

The Peacemaker show shares a universe with the films.

(though I guess you mean the serialized shows as the 'tv' universe)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jedit posted:

Except when they're not. Peacemaker is Snyder movie canon. Doom Patrol is AFAIK entirely it's own thing.

I don't care that much since I don't watch any DC stuff that's in the main TV-verse/Arrowverse, so it is actually nice I can watch thins like Doom Patrol and Peacemaker without having to know what the hell happened in 500 hours of CW TV.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

They care/cared enough to spitefully hobble the Arrowverse for the sake of the movie’verse at one point though. I’ve stopped watching the shows so I don’t know if it’s still going on but DC/WB corporate on numerous occasions flat out mandated the Arrowverse writers rooms “Kill off or disappear the following characters because they are now movie exclusive characters and we need to maintain Brand Purity, no, we don’t care that you have ongoing and complex storylines involving them, do it now.”

Arrow had both the Suicide Squad and Deathstroke ripped away from them, was going to do something with Harley Quinn and was told no (same thing happened on Gotham), and had to fight with WB corporate for like six years to even be allowed to just casually drop the name Bruce Wayne in one episode.

Thankfully ever since Justice League turned out to be a disaster bomb they no longer seem to care and are now just doing whatever.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Which is probably why I used the word "anymore"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Android Apocalypse posted:

It's this. DC is purposely not caring about continuity unless it wants to.

I honestly think this is the smartest for DC moving forward. It allows them a little more creativity, doesn't bog them down with continuity issues and sets them apart from Marvel where they don't have to try and compete at their own game. My favorite DC films were the ones that mostly avoided a lot of crossover stuff - Aquaman, WW, Shazam, Joker. Haven't seen The Batman yet. I think it allows individual directors and writers to put their own styles on stuff rather than the cookie cutter house style template Marvel has settled into.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nine-gear crow posted:

They care/cared enough to spitefully hobble the Arrowverse for the sake of the movie’verse at one point though. I’ve stopped watching the shows so I don’t know if it’s still going on but DC/WB corporate on numerous occasions flat out mandated the Arrowverse writers rooms “Kill off or disappear the following characters because they are now movie exclusive characters and we need to maintain Brand Purity, no, we don’t care that you have ongoing and complex storylines involving them, do it now.”

Arrow had both the Suicide Squad and Deathstroke ripped away from them, was going to do something with Harley Quinn and was told no (same thing happened on Gotham), and had to fight with WB corporate for like six years to even be allowed to just casually drop the name Bruce Wayne in one episode.

Thankfully ever since Justice League turned out to be a disaster bomb they no longer seem to care and are now just doing whatever.

This has been policy for a while, see the Bat-Embargo that Justice League had to deal with. (and Aquaman being briefly written out because for a pilot that never made it to air)

There's also supposedly some court drama since WB is getting acquired and whatever hateboner for Snyder and the billions of dollars he makes for them that WB execs seem to have isn't shared by the new owners.

BiggerBoat posted:

I honestly think this is the smartest for DC moving forward. It allows them a little more creativity, doesn't bog them down with continuity issues and sets them apart from Marvel where they don't have to try and compete at their own game. My favorite DC films were the ones that mostly avoided a lot of crossover stuff - Aquaman, WW, Shazam, Joker. Haven't seen The Batman yet. I think it allows individual directors and writers to put their own styles on stuff rather than the cookie cutter house style template Marvel has settled into.

Given they literally gave up royalties on Joker assuming it'd fail, I do wonder how much of that is intentional or voluntary vs just giving up because whatever the gently caress they thought they were trying to do wasn't working out.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly, secret identities make a lot more sense when both readers and writers stop acting like the people in-universe should have the kind of knowledge you could only get from watching it. Why would they assume Batman is a billionaire at all? Or a public figure? Two-Face in BTAS theorises there's a whole team of them pretending to be one guy. It's much more plausible than the truth.
Two face knew Bruce Wayne in person, and when some mad scientist insisted Wayne was Batman, Two Face flat out rejected the idea. (Then Robin disguised himself as Wayne next to Batman to gently caress with everyone even more)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

Just to further confuse things

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Two face knew Bruce Wayne in person, and when some mad scientist insisted Wayne was Batman, Two Face flat out rejected the idea. (Then Robin disguised himself as Wayne next to Batman to gently caress with everyone even more)

I like the Harley Quinn cartoon’s take on a villain finding out Bruce Wayne is Batman. The Joker just gets mildly upset because he enjoyed not knowing who Batman was and then just starts complaining to him about WayneTech’s lovely customer service.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I like the Harley Quinn cartoon’s take on a villain finding out Bruce Wayne is Batman. The Joker just gets mildly upset because he enjoyed not knowing who Batman was and then just starts complaining to him about WayneTech’s lovely customer service.

"Where's my goddamn flying car, Bruce?!? I put a deposit down!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He doesn't get mildly upset. He shoots Scarecrow in the face, killing him.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Joey Freshwater posted:

"Where's my goddamn flying car, Bruce?!? I put a deposit down!"

I thought it was an electric car?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

He doesn't get mildly upset. He shoots Scarecrow in the face, killing him.

TBF, for Joker, that's a pretty mild reaction.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He dissolved his head with his acid flower. "Shot" implies he might survive with amnesia.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
For some reason I remembered him shooting Scarecrow point blank in the face with a gun but you're right.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Neito posted:

I thought it was an electric car?

Ah yeah you're probably right, I was going off memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

For the longest time, something about Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn bothered me. She did the makeup and has the whole “crazy chick” thing down and pulls it off well but there was still something I didn’t quite like and rewatching Birds of Prey I finally figured out what it was. Margot Robbie is Australian.