Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! March 28, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True April 1, 1919

Cat Tales March 10, 1925

Oaky Doaks September 14, 1936

Mopsy November 22, 1937

Up Front February 14, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems June 3, 1952

Those Were the Days July 23, 1959

Wee Pals June 6, 1966

Dogbert February 8, 1967

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Jan 30-31, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jun 9, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 13-14, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate ran in my local paper in the late 90's. I've found the way he draws the sister's breasts to be off-putting for over 20 years.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Bimmi posted:

The Comics Journal just published a lengthy thinkpiece on the matter of legacy strips, with insights from Moy & Brigman, Jules Rivera, and Olivia Jaimes.

Oh my, this is a lovely contribution to the conversation.

quote:

The first few times I heard creators tell me this sort of thing [that reboots like Jaimes’ Nancy come from a sincere place], it was easy to write it off as so much PR finessing - the sort of thing you tell an interviewer when your syndicate’s media manager is sitting on the other end of the conference line. But now I’m not so sure. There is something oddly, ineffably beautiful about this image of a culture that has become degrees removed from some original work of art, and can no longer access whatever its original audience did, yet knows somehow that there is beauty there. I think these creators really do believe that there is something of value in these strips. Maybe they, and we, can’t quite pin it down; can't even really say what it ever was. But maybe by shuffling it, and reversing it, and subverting it, and winkingly making fun of it, we can make ourselves see a little glimmer of that original, simple beauty, even if it's only for a moment.

The modernist poet and painter David Jones had a theory about how art communicates to its audience, or fails to do so. An English-born writer whose father spoke Welsh, Jones was deeply concerned with the barriers that language and history erect between poem and reader. Jones believed that all culture consisted of “deposits” of language and memory unique to a specific place and tongue, and irrecoverably lost when those original anchors were removed. Without them, we are left to make new structures in the basic form of the old, but with entirely different meanings and connotations to be drawn from them. What we call culture, then, is not a stable canon of works, but rather an ever-growing sediment of cultural constructions, building upon the layers of its half-remembered forebears like the ruins of ancient Troy.

:unsmith:

Which is a pretty bold preface to one of my half-assing days, but there you are.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (June 25-26, 1934)

Peanuts, in which Linus develops a new side hustle. (March 24-25, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean didn't read Monday's PBS.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 20-21, 1938)

Out Our Way (June 6-8, 1938)

We're a little late, etc. etc.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Dozeu Bookstore

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I feel like that article is a year late to new Trail and new Nancy becoming really half assed and/or awkward and phoning it in after their initial SLUGGO IS LIT hype for the new guard taking over legacy strips. Well, as much hype as a dead medium followed by weirdos can get.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Dozeu Bookstore

holy poo poo!!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 23, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine
The pandemic is ending?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

The pandemic is ending?

In a very technically correct sort of way, yes. If governments and medical NGOs begin to treat it as endemic

Which they are beginning to do

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

not even close, but people (and more importantly governments) are sure ready to tell everyone that it is

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tiggum posted:

The pandemic is ending?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGC6C4vuOao

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The smug self importance of Funky really is something. “This is AA, ofc these lowlifes will want to hear me drone on about the boomer adventures me and my wife has been through!”

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Tiggum posted:

The pandemic is ending?

Geez Louise, it's almost as if Pearls Before Swines doesn't have a good grasp on actual reality.

But enough of my general annoyance at PbS, it's time for today's Blueberry! Where:

I know that I've interspersed a lot of Spanish into this comic (and I confess, some, if not most, of it may be inaccurate), but I think everyone can understand what 'Joder' means, or So, I said that Lopez has started to become Wile E. Coyote yesterday, well..., or Huh, I wonder who it is that recognizes Blueberry...

Samovar fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 23, 2022

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ah, yes. Comics.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

lol

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

riderchop@Athena:/mnt/c/Users/Ariel$ bash ck.sh
On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Heathcliff is delightfully weird.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/22/02

Brenda Starr 5/27-29/48

Smokey Stover 11/24/46

Everyday Movies 12/19/34

"But I don't want to give my letter to the wrong Santa Claus THIS year, Ma!"

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 21, 1950)

The guy Val dueled with is still recovering from an injury himself, so he's probably not a great choice for this mission, although I assume Val picked him mostly to make sure there's no continued bad blood between them. I like the panel asking "Who else but Rufus Regan?" as though the audience has any idea who this person is.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: Vote Dewclaw (June 12-18, 2006)

Whole lotta one-off characters in today's batch; like I said yesterday, these are all people who paid to get written into a strip.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

readingatwork posted:

Where Funky Cancerbean has the requisite smirk-face, Nate seems to have at least one person looking at the fourth wall.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Oh, as if you won't just DNA magic another assistant from a squirrel you have lying around.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "108 - Jucika Is Cleaning"

"109 - Jucika Wants To Go To Rome"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Medenmath posted:

I like the panel asking "Who else but Rufus Regan?" as though the audience has any idea who this person is.

Rufus by name, Rufus by hair, at least.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

I wish RTD would go back to tortured puns.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Giant Days x Batman

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

That’s right, the grappling hook from the 1989 Batman movie. You recognised it correctly. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mi-gosh!

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I hate to be that guy but wrestling is very real. There's no way to fake getting body slammed on a table (at least not in front of a live audience). Wrestling is scripted which is different from it being fake. Yes, they're actors playing roles, and they're following a script, but there's a reason wrestlers get seriously injured and a lot of them get hooked on painkillers because they hosed up their bodies by being body slammed onto hard surfaces repeatedly.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Hey, maybe you could hire a person, who like, wants to work in your field, and is knowledgeable about it, and you could loving pay them. Or I guess you could just grab a random animal and magic them into a person and force them into slavery like you did with your other assistants. gently caress you!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

Dozeu Bookstore

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

quote:

Night Visitors

he really knows how to capture the feelings of an overdunked cookie

Doomykins posted:

I feel like that article is a year late to new Trail and new Nancy becoming really half assed and/or awkward and phoning it in after their initial SLUGGO IS LIT hype for the new guard taking over legacy strips. Well, as much hype as a dead medium followed by weirdos can get.

holy poo poo!!
I think that on the whole most people still like new nancy
maybe not in this thread, but in general I still see the strips get passed around on twitter a bunch, and not even just the sundays.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

Bimmi posted:

The Comics Journal just published a lengthy thinkpiece on the matter of legacy strips, with insights from Moy & Brigman, Jules Rivera, and Olivia Jaimes.

The writing of this article was a bit pretentious, I thought, but the interviews were interesting and I especially liked this quote from the artist of Mary Worth:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*looking up from my phone with a scowl* little?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
"It almost seems like there's a dead gay forum that follows the strip..."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

rannum posted:

maybe not in this thread, but in general I still see the strips get passed around on twitter a bunch, and not even just the sundays.
I think it suffers from Twitter Comic Writing Syndrome where a lot of the jokes are great to see randomly but wear thin if you follow it every day and see just how often it goes back to certain things.

I've made my peace with Mark Trail by deciding it's fundamentally a gag strip that uses the plot as an excuse for more gags instead of it being a plot-centric strip like old MT. It's still not always a hit but it's clearly not interested in having coherent plot arcs so I'm not going to expect it to have those. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

rannum posted:

I still like it.

Haifisch posted:

I've made my peace with Mark Trail by deciding it's fundamentally a gag strip that uses the plot as an excuse for more gags instead of it being a plot-centric strip like old MT. It's still not always a hit but it's clearly not interested in having coherent plot arcs so I'm not going to expect it to have those. :shrug:
I can't agree with this though. I don't know what Rivera's trying to do with Mark Trail, but I don't think she's succeeding. It's sort of got a story and it's almost got jokes but none of it really works.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Samovar posted:

Geez Louise, it's almost as if Pearls Before Swines doesn't have a good grasp on actual reality.

What happened? I feel like the first few years of Pearls were really good, and then I took a break from reading the strip, and now it's the exact poo poo that it used to decry, taking up space in the funnies.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hey, maybe you could hire a person, who like, wants to work in your field, and is knowledgeable about it, and you could loving pay them. Or I guess you could just grab a random animal and magic them into a person and force them into slavery like you did with your other assistants. gently caress you!

Look, if we hired actual scientists, they might find out about the magic DNA research that we are being paid to do but are refusing to publish or implement and are actively suppressing through sorcery, and we'd probably have to get rid of them by permanently turning them into animals or living decorations or some other kind of useful abomination.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
And then making them gently caress animals.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

The person being grilled by the police on suspicion of murder (of someone she had a motive to kill) is... nervous? Must mean she's guilty, there's no other reason for her to be anything but relaxed and happy in this scenario. :cop:

Bizarro

I'm just impressed that he found a way to draw a whale making a recognizable hand gesture without fingers.

The Family Circus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

I am very sorry