Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mega64 posted:

games like Disgaea and Rune Factory with ports already on the Switch having new games designed for the Switch running poorly. Something is up there.

I blame them going 3d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the switch could run cyberpunk easily but why run a bad game on the nintendo switch when it could run a good game like super mario odyssey instead

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yiik? More like Yuuk

Someone I know is streaming this game and how in the gently caress did this game manage to get D. C. Douglas?!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Barreft posted:

I have a running theory 16bitbutthead is stux's PG account

hosed up if true

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Someone I know is streaming this game and how in the gently caress did this game manage to get D. C. Douglas?!

It's not like the devs didn't put everything in it, it was just poorly executed and then one of them threw a Phil Fish like tantrum when people started pointing out the game's missteps.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Barreft posted:

That's what I'm wondering. I still am just in the Wild Woods (first dungeon, is this a dungeon? lol) but man it gets down to like 15fps when hitting mobs at times.

there's something else going I think because I looked up those 60 fps emulator stuff and even then it just occasionally gets choppy feeling while actually at 60

it might be some bizarre mechanic which lmao

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That seems like a very bad system
Can't beat the best

Mega64 posted:

There's issues with games on even high-end PCs due to poor optimization.

I wouldn't go so far to call devs lazy or dumb for having a sluggish Switch port since they may not be able to optimize a game in time to make a release date or whatever, but we've seen some devs do some amazing things getting recentish games running on the Switch, plus it's not like we're talking about Cyberpunk or whatever running on the Switch, but games like Disgaea and Rune Factory with ports already on the Switch having new games designed for the Switch running poorly. Something is up there.
Exactly, we're talking about a game that looks like a PS3 HD Remaster of a PS2 game. It looks fine, but absolutely nothing about it should be taxing the Switch's half-decade-old hardware.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 23, 2022

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
idk those HUD elements look pretty taxing

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

New Pokemon game looking good

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I did some Googling and apparently Rune Factory 5 might be using Unity? Which'd explain some things, that engine's had a bit of a bumpy history of performance on Switch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's a bit of a shame Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is only getting localized now and wasn't on 3DS. Someone clearly had fun including Stereoscopes on the last case of the first game, and it doesn't quite translate to a conventional screen.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

See, I would just go back and play more RF4, but that game forces you to be straight. :smith:

:negative:

Hell yeah. :sueme:

people are like "oh just go play rf4 instead if you haven't played it yet" but the whole point is that i want to be gay ................

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the switch has way more broken and lovely ports than any other console. and no refunds. that's why you never buy switch ports at launch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Foul Fowl posted:

the switch has way more broken and lovely ports than any other console.

Incorrect, because it doesn't get the majority of aaa games and yearly sports titles, all of which are broken at launch and typically for years afterward

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah but those games are just poo poo regardless of platform, whereas the switch has good games that don't work on it like synthetik (hard crashes, dev can't fix it, abandoned) star renegades (hard crashes, i think the dev abandoned it), 40k mechanicus (corrupted your saves, was broken for weeks) etc. etc.

so i think maybe the problem is the switch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the switch has great ports like Doom, Witcher 3 and games like MonHun Rise and Odyssey that all work great. devs are just lazy

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah that's why their games work perfectly on everything except the switch lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's their job to make the games work well :shrug:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
that's true but there's clearly something up with the switch because there's a load of really bad and broken ports, especially from smaller developers who i'm pretty sure didn't just lazily release a lovely switch port of their passion project that they worked on in a shed somewhere for no money for years. i wouldn't mind if nintendo had refunds but they don't. so you gotta be careful buying switch ports on launch.

olliolli world is a banging port though. blessed with 60fps. On Sale Now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not always, but so often it seems like a lot of these extremely buggy and poorly running games get patched a couple of months later and then run decently. So I think it's a matter of time/budget usually.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

yeah that's why their games work perfectly on everything except the switch lol

"Perfectly" :airquote: 🤔🤔🤔

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mister Facetious posted:

"Perfectly" :airquote: 🤔🤔🤔

yea all those games worked perfectly on other platforms and were hosed on the switch. happy to help.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they should have asked miyamoto for help

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he would have requested that you be able to climb trees in the witcher 3 which would make it the best version of witcher 3

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

yea all those games worked perfectly on other platforms and were hosed on the switch. happy to help.

Yeah no calling bullshit when you need day 1 to year 3 patches just to make a game playable or even feature complete

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Foul Fowl posted:

so i think maybe the problem is the switch.

The Switch is running ordinary hardware, and even has the Nvidia drivers backing it up which provides identical graphics APIs and identical compatibility to what you have on the PC. It's so absurdly straight forward and regular that it's the only console that would take a legacy port of Strife because we could just throw OpenGL 1.5 headers at it and it just took it no issue. We can't port that to the Xbox or Playstation without rewriting the whole renderer.

So no, there's no problem with the Switch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Something like Ys IX, it runs terribly even on PS4 for some reason when it absolutely should not.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i guess it's a coincidence that so many switch ports are hosed then :xd:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the ports are good actually

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's pretty straight forward, devs know that people who buy AAA games on switch have no other option so they can just be lazy and put out lovely ports. not sure what you don't get

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
oh i wasn't talking about AAA games, i was talking about synthetik, star renegades, and 40k mechanicus when i said their (i.e. the smaller devs') games work perfectly on everything else and were completely hosed on the switch. with no refunds. lol.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm gonna spend this weekend arranging my games into folders and then not actually play anything, can't wait.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm gonna spend this weekend arranging my games into folders and then not actually play anything, can't wait.

I did that last night, but eeked in some gaming. Just a bit. Mostly organization.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I spent an hour making folders. So fun. Another classic Switch feature!!!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Beat Inside last night. Pretty fun little game. I need to dig back into my Switch library now that I'm only dipping into Elden Ring a couple times a week.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a bit of a shame Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is only getting localized now and wasn't on 3DS. Someone clearly had fun including Stereoscopes on the last case of the first game, and it doesn't quite translate to a conventional screen.

There’s a very good fan translation patch for the 3DS versions if you track down the Japanese copies. Great implementation of 3D.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
forgotten world colosseum confirmed, looking forward to what Rules of Nature lunacy this game’s superbosses will put you through

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Switch has some games where you're surprised they run so well, and some games where you wonder why they run at 15 fps. It's obviously not just the Switch being less powerful than its competitors, though that doesn't exactly help, but I don't think it's fair to call the devs "lazy" or "incompetent" either. Modern AA and AAA games are made by huge teams on very tight deadlines with not enough time to do full QA cycles before release.

Basically, corporate greed and The Almighty Bottom Line are the reason your Switch game of choice runs poorly. :capitalism:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Hmmm, companies with lots of money and employees can get ports working perfectly fine on the Switch, yet smaller companies with much less resources cannot.

Clearly, the problem is with the Switch. I am very intelligent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Commander Keene posted:

I don't think it's fair to call the devs "lazy" or "incompetent" either. Modern AA and AAA games are made by huge teams on very tight deadlines with not enough time to do full QA cycles before release.

I personally believe that setting unreasonable deadlines and then releasing a faulty product can, and should, be described as incompetence.