Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm waiting for some farmer to show up towing a captured KV-5 or something
an IS-3 would be cool as hell but it wouldn't deserve getting blown up for this clown show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Are you guys aware of/have an opinion of Beau of the fifth column?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWCgFVmkgOs

Dude's got a point about these war tourists and the fuckers who stir up poo poo here.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Tekne posted:

an IS-3 would be cool as hell but it wouldn't deserve getting blown up for this clown show

pretty sure isreal captured a few of those a long time ago

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Farking Bastage posted:

Are you guys aware of/have an opinion of Beau of the fifth column?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWCgFVmkgOs

Dude's got a point about these war tourists and the fuckers who stir up poo poo here.

There's been some discussion of his video, yes. Maybe within the last 10 pages.

E: I haven't watched it but I know I've seen that beard in this thread. The amount of right wing poo poo popping up in my youtube feed unsolicited has me blocking so much poo poo right now that I'm just not watching youtube ukraine related videos.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 23, 2022

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'd have thought the main Russian priority with tanks wouldn't be manufacturing new ones but instead getting their existing inventory where it can be useful and repairing those already in place. It's not like WWII where they need to produce tens of thousands of modern tanks and a production disruption could be crippling, I'd assume even if they were making new ones it would probably be at least a month from the start of manufacturing to getting it shipped to Ukraine, probably more.

Building a new tank is going to take up many more man-hours and resources than repairing an older one sitting in a depot, but the two are probably not overlapping much. The people in the factory are probably not able to get old tanks running and the mechanics scraping together T-72s whose engines still turn over probably can't build new ones. If Russia still has the resources to do both then it probably makes sense to do both. The problem is that there's no evidence to suggest that the new tanks will be any more effective than the older ones, since they're mostly being engaged by ATGMs, which seems to easily take out anything with treads.

Then again their tank factories are able to churn out low double-digit units per year, and probably fewer given the lack of parts and potentially tools

Fielding newer tanks though might be detrimental to Russia's logistics since their introduction means they now need people and equipment that are trained/suited for them, adding more strain to their supply lines.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Commie talk me down.

https://twitter.com/toialerts/status/1506474325125214213?s=21

Also the radiation monitors aren’t working anymore.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHpX6_B8ArE

Killing Russians is the activity that brings the whole town together.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There's been some discussion of his video, yes. Maybe within the last 10 pages.

E: I haven't watched it but I know I've seen that beard in this thread. The amount of right wing poo poo popping up in my youtube feed unsolicited has me blocking so much poo poo right now that I'm just not watching youtube ukraine related videos.

Good news he's very left wing

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

NightGyr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHpX6_B8ArE

Killing Russians is the activity that brings the whole town together.

“Friends who slay together, stay together” was right there!

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
NYT did an interview with a Ukrainian fighter pilot. It's pretty light on details due to opsec, but some parts really stand out:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/22/world/europe/ukraine-air-force-russia.html

quote:

Andriy hustles into his Su-27 supersonic jet and hastily taxis toward the runway, getting airborne as quickly as possible. He takes off so fast that he doesn’t yet know his mission for the night, though the big picture is always the same — to bring the fight to a Russian Air Force that is vastly superior in numbers but has so far failed to win control of the skies above Ukraine.

“I don’t do any checks,” said Andriy, a Ukrainian Air Force pilot who as a condition of granting an interview was not permitted to give his surname or rank. “I just take off.”

quote:

“Every time when I fly, it’s for a real fight,” said Andriy, who is 25 and has flown 10 missions in the war. “In every fight with Russian jets, there is no equality. They always have five times more” planes in the air.

quote:

“I mostly have tasks of hitting airborne targets, of intercepting enemy jets,” he said. “I wait for the missile to lock on my target. After that I press fire.”

When he shoots down a Russian jet, he said, “I am happy that this plane will no longer bomb my peaceful towns. And as we see in practice, that is exactly what Russian jets do.”

Most of the aerial combat in Ukraine has been nocturnal, as Russian aircraft attack in the dark when they are less vulnerable to air defenses. In the dogfights over Ukraine, Andriy said, the Russians have been flying an array of modern Sukhoi jets, such as the Su-30, Su-34 and Su-35.

quote:

“I had situations when I was approaching a Russian plane to a close enough distance to target and fire,” he said. “I could already detect it but was waiting for my missile to lock on while at the same time from the ground they tell me that a missile was fired at me already.”

He said he maneuvered his jet through a series of extreme banks, dives and climbs in order to exhaust the fuel supplies of the missiles coming after him. “The time I have to save myself depends on how far away the missile was fired at me and what kind of missile,” he said.

Still, he said in an interview on a clear, sunny day, “I can still feel a huge rush of adrenaline in my body because every flight is a fight.”

Andriy graduated from the Kharkiv Air Force School after deciding to become a pilot as a teenager. “Neither me nor my friends ever thought we would have to face a real war,” he said. “But that’s not how it turned out.”

Andriy has moved his wife to a safer part of Ukraine, but she has not left the country, he said. She spends her days weaving homemade camouflage nets for the Ukrainian army. He never tells family members when he is going on duty, he said, calling only after returning from a night flight.

“I only have to use my skills to win,” said Andriy. “My skills are better than the Russians. But on the other hand, many of my friends, and even those more experienced than me, are already dead.”

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Andriy we love you

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Say, was posting on D&D about stuff I'd been seeing in the DoD press briefings, and I realized that I could probably get some clarification about a couple of points from people who actually know stuff about the military. What do you folks make of the following statements from said press briefings? Have I badly misunderstood what the "senior defense official" is saying? Is my analysis way off?

Tomn posted:

Ah, there I must disagree, and I have evidence to disagree with!

Tomn posted:

The SDO has been consistently unwilling throughout the briefing to speculate on whether or not the Russians are running out of ammo or supplies - they're using a lot, they're probably low on smart munitions, but they still have lots of dumb munitions, but it's all a big maybe. Interestingly, they do hint at supply issues but in a roundabout way - "no new supplies moved into Ukraine" doesn't appear to mean "the Russians are out of supplies," but rather, "the Russians have moved all their pre-staged supplies into Ukraine, and they are now going to rely entirely on those pre-staged stocks in Ukrainian logistical depots- how long those will last is unknown, because the Russians haven't told us their inventory, however we've heard rumblings that they're considering shipping in supplies from elsewhere which suggests that their pre-staged supplies are running low, but they haven't actually done it yet, merely considered it - which is still significant at this stage, as it implies they may have a shortage of supplies in theater soon."

This is from an analysis of a DoD press conference on the 17th (click through to my old post to see the exact quotes). In sum, as I understand it, there was at the time no new supply going from Russia to Ukraine - they were no longer dependent on Russian supply lines, but were working entirely with the prestaged stocks they'd prepared for months ahead of time which were now all in Ukrainian supply dumps.

The press briefing from today seems to confirm this as well:

quote:

And on resupply, again, no tangible indications that they are making an -- an effort to resupply from outside the -- the theater there, that -- that they're pulling in from elsewhere around the -- around Russia. But we do continue to see indications that they are having these discussions, and that they are making those kinds of plan both in terms of resupply, and also reinforcement. It's just that we haven't seen that actually been -- taking -- take -- take place.

So the issue isn't just whether the supply lines are cut or not. If anything, supply lines from Russia to Ukraine may currently be irrelevant because they're already not sending anything. The bigger issue is actually gathering up supplies from throughout Russia to actually send to Ukraine - and according to the DoD, they haven't actually started doing that yet. If the Russians in Ukraine really are about to run out of supplies in three days, there may not actually be any supplies ready to send them. I'm not sure how long it'd take for the Russian internal logistical system to unfuck itself and start gathering and flowing the supplies, though - maybe it'll only take a highly motivated day. And of course, the "three days of supplies" figure may well be untrue. For that matter, US intelligence about this may all be completely off-base. But again I think it's worth noting that logistical preparations were being made for the invasion for weeks, possibly months beforehand - I assume it's not something easily done in a hurry.

Assuming, anyways, that I actually understood and interpreted those statements in the press briefing correctly as a civilian.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Andriy we love you

The real ghost(s) of Kyiv.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zamujasa posted:

The real ghost(s) of Kyiv.

The ghost of Kyiv is real drat you

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The ghost of Kyiv is real drat you

well, yes, they just interviewed one :colbert:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tomn posted:

Say, was posting on D&D about stuff I'd been seeing in the DoD press briefings, and I realized that I could probably get some clarification about a couple of points from people who actually know stuff about the military. What do you folks make of the following statements from said press briefings? Have I badly misunderstood what the "senior defense official" is saying? Is my analysis way off?

He's kind of vague, but he's likely referring to pre-positioned stockpiles from the Western and Southern Military Districts. Theater doesn't necessarily mean a specific country, but rather a broad geographic area which represents the operational demarcation point for combat operations and support. In that case, it would include Western Russia and Belarus.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Are you making GBS threads me, Russia?

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-22

quote:

Russian forces are unlikely to successfully resolve their command and control issues in the near term. A senior US defense official stated on March 21 that Russian forces are increasingly using unsecured communications due to lacking sufficient capacity on secured networks.[9] CNN additionally quoted multiple sources on March 21 that the United States has been unable to determine if Russia has appointed an overall commander for the invasion of Ukraine.[10] These sources stated that Russian units from different military districts appear to be competing for resources and are not coordinating their operations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

That would explain a lot. Especially the competing for resources part.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Madurai posted:

When someone complains about uptiering in WT, my go-to example is the presence of T-34/85s in the inventories of WP countries reserve units into the Eighties, and the Sherman not leaving the inventory of some Western nations -- including Canada-- into the Seventies.

The last country to use the Sherman was Paraguay and their last three Shermans were finally retired in 2018.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Jesus, it's an army of libertarians

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

So what you are saying is that Russia could have won this quickly if they had started this show with actual command and control, training, proper logistics and maintenance on their equipment? But because they lacked all those things Ukraine might actually pull this off?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cimber posted:

So what you are saying is that Russia could have won this quickly if they had started this show with actual command and control, training, proper logistics and maintenance on their equipment? But because they lacked all those things Ukraine might actually pull this off?

Eliot Cohen had a good piece in The Atlantic arguing that everyone should drop the act and start admitting that Ukraine is winning. They've fought the Russian Army to a standstill and have even started some minor reversals, all without losing the resolve of their own people nor most of the rest of the world. The only strategic objective Russia has achieved has been taking Kherson, and even that failed to sustain their momentum. They will eventually take Mauripol, but only after completely destroying the city and tying up and grinding down their forces that would have otherwise been committed to taking the rest of the Donbas and Odessa.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/03/ukraine-is-winning-war-russia/627121/

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

psydude posted:

Eliot Cohen had a good piece in The Atlantic arguing that everyone should drop the act and start admitting that Ukraine is winning. They've fought the Russian Army to a standstill and have even started some minor reversals, all without losing the resolve of their own people nor most of the rest of the world. The only strategic objective Russia has achieved has been taking Kherson, and even that failed to sustain their momentum. They will eventually take Mauripol, but only after completely destroying the city and tying up and grinding down their forces that would have otherwise been committed to taking the rest of the Donbas and Odessa.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/03/ukraine-is-winning-war-russia/627121/

Ukraine may be turning the tide, but I am not going to call what’s happening “Winning”.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

LightRailTycoon posted:

Ukraine may be turning the tide, but I am not going to call what’s happening “Winning”.

Yeah, I would go with a 'courageously not losing right now' rather than 'winning'.

If I see major counter offensives, many towns liberated and the Russian invader fleeing back to their own borders I'll then switch things over into the 'winning' column.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

psydude posted:

Ukraine might very well drive the Russians out of a lot of the "captured" territory, but it's still quite possible that an eventual peace settlement ends with Ukraine losing access to the Sea of Azov, which is difficult to see as a victory. That said, Russians are definitely losing more than the Ukrainians.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

LightRailTycoon posted:

What they are doing is the very definition of "Winning".

Successfully stalled a Superpower during a planned invasion, check.

Denied air superiority of a Superpower, again, during a PLANNED invasion, check.

The closest Russia has come to achieving ANY of their goals is the capture of Kherson and the soon to be destruction of Maripol. Maripol is a draw, they actually wanted that city, now it's just a spot on the map.

Their supply lines, when they exist, are harrassed by Ukraine. In some cases, Russian units have been surrounded by the UA. At no point has the Russian military made a move that shows their control over the battle space, everything they do is half assed. Unless the metric for success is the destruction of Russia's own personnel and equipment, there is no world in which you can say Russia is "Winning".

Edit: To be clear, Ukraine has a long way to go. That being said, just because Ukraine isn't decisively moving Russian troops out of their borders doesn't equate to Russia necessarily being the victor. Right now, this is a draw, with Ukraine on the advantage.

ASAPI fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 23, 2022

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

have you considered that some wars might have no winners?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pmchem posted:

have you considered that some wars might have no winners?

Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: the American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah even if they push the Russians back to Moscow, they’ve still got a few destroyed cities and their infrastructure is in ruins.

It’s going to take a decade to rebuild Ukraine, even if they win.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
When was the last time in modern history that an aggressor actually won their war of aggression?

I can only think of one, the 2003 invasion of Iraq, and even that the 'victory' wasn't so clear cut.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah even if they push the Russians back to Moscow, they’ve still got a few destroyed cities and their infrastructure is in ruins.

It’s going to take a decade to rebuild Ukraine, even if they win.

Which is tragic, but the silver lining is that the West is going to pour resources into rebuilding whereas Russia will be permanently crippled and depend on China to rebuild their military.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boy did I piss a tankie off. :lol:

Best part is I suspect they don't realize I'm Jewish and the mod who probated me, didn't realize it, and even went to remove it, when I told him (and saying it was fine and funny, I just wanted to be on the record that I was Jewish lol).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Cimber posted:

When was the last time in modern history that an aggressor actually won their war of aggression?

I can only think of one, the 2003 invasion of Iraq, and even that the 'victory' wasn't so clear cut.

It depends on how you define war and agressor. But, one important option is Putin in Crimea 2014 and before that Putin in Chechnya. Both were almost certainly a big part of what convinced Putin he can win and preserve international support.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

VictualSquid posted:

It depends on how you define war and agressor. But, one important option is Putin in Crimea 2014 and before that Putin in Chechnya. Both were almost certainly a big part of what convinced Putin he can win and preserve international support.

Georgia is quietly shaking its head and wondering why nobody cares.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Georgia is quietly shaking its head and wondering why nobody cares.

Probably because they haven been giving flashy and newsworthy support to the current invasion. But, you are right they totally belong on the list.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Also because Georgia did not stand a shadow of chance in 2008.

The real way to define victory is to define what victory looks like. Iraq and Afghanistan were losses. We lost. The US decided that ~nation-building~ was the next move, and it, uhhh, decidedly was not. Now Iraq is an Iranian-aligned dictatorship and Afghanistan ended in a complete Taliban victory. Whoops.

But in Ukraine, what does victory even look like for the Russians? I'd say the capitulation of the central state and nothing less. Zelensky has already said he will not accept further territorial dismemberment of Ukraine. In which case they're not really doing that hot on that front.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Andriy we love you

Give em hell you glorious bastard

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1506623757447749640?s=21

So I guess Russia is finally going to motivate energy bans by Europe.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Alchenar posted:

Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: the American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy.

If they'd freed the slaves, maybe. As it stands, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xakura posted:

If they'd freed the slaves, maybe. As it stands, lol.

It’s a Simpsons quote.