Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."
My first LP had some room for choices but back then I haven't realized I could allow readers to choose, so I run it with some fore-planning to bring the best effect instead. For example I deliberately brought someone to the map where he would take off his clothes
I don't even know whether or not there are enough readers to vote.

My second LP was of a game with no choices at all, so I just record and write everything, and update with a bunch of reserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Eldsluft posted:

My second LP was of a game with no choices at all, so I just record and write everything, and update with a bunch of reserves.

Yeah, that was my workflow for my LPs in the past since all I did was shooters and arcade flight sims.
And I probably wouldn't do it all that much different now since my choices in games wouldn't be much different. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Your Everyday NEET posted:

What happened if your LP is so obscure/unpopular that no one put a vote?

Ask a few friends with no context or explanation and go with that. Worked for me a few times!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Ask a few friends with no context or explanation and go with that. Worked for me a few times!

AKA the "social dartboard" approach

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

Cythereal posted:

What if I don't have any friends?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Eldsluft posted:

What if I don't have any friends?

Get an unlimited number of friends through the power of sockpuppet accounts.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Whoops I mean

Get an unlimited number of friends through the power of sockpuppet accounts.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Leal posted:

Which button do you press?

Apparently, I'm just hitting both without a care

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Odd Wilson posted:

Apparently, I'm just hitting both without a care

I managed to do this once in my Star Trek Online LP because I accurately predicted how goons would vote. :v:

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
I'm working on a Shin Gihren's Greed LP. Thus far I have done the introduction and an intermission chapter. Can you guys check this from a technical standpoint. Like are the screenshots a good size and if the formatting is good.

Let's Play Shin Gihren's Greed - Winning a war and all I have is a Zaku
Intermission 01 - Welcome to Ramba Rals scenario

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

a quick scrollthrough and no obvious problems pop out at me!

people who know things about image size and pixels might have insight, or maybe you've already done all of that perfectly, i have no insight in that regard :v:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It feels like ten million years ago when I first threw this idea around, but I have finally put my MapleStory "Bean World" LP to fruition in a test post. It's my first time doing a screenshot LP on the forum and I tried really hard to keep that sweet 900 pixel thing going. I suppose it's not much of a first update, but it took me a while to set up and I'd like to know what you all think.

Intro Post
First Update

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Seems mostly fine from what I can tell, but it'd be nice if like half the image in the wide shots wasn't just black space. You can use batch actions in Photoshop or even just the batch crop utility in IrfanView to cut that stuff out pretty automatically.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Arist posted:

Seems mostly fine from what I can tell, but it'd be nice if like half the image in the wide shots wasn't just black space. You can use batch actions in Photoshop or even just the batch crop utility in IrfanView to cut that stuff out pretty automatically.

Ah, those shots are just in "cinema mode" for the opening cutscene, most of the game isn't going to be like that. You can see at the bottom it's more full. I could still edit it if it's distracting, though.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Alxprit posted:

It feels like ten million years ago when I first threw this idea around, but I have finally put my MapleStory "Bean World" LP to fruition in a test post. It's my first time doing a screenshot LP on the forum and I tried really hard to keep that sweet 900 pixel thing going. I suppose it's not much of a first update, but it took me a while to set up and I'd like to know what you all think.

Intro Post
First Update

Let's Playing Maplestory?

You absolute madman. I'm in.

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

Looks good so far.

But now I'm curious whether or not you're going to display contents of thematic dungeons and main story chapters.
Stuff like Friend Story and Heroes of Maple can be a real pain in the rear end.

Eldsluft fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 24, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Alxprit posted:

Intro Post
First Update

I don't see any real issues in these posts. I haven't tried really playing MS since like, Cygnus Knights so I don't really recognise anything newer than those, so it'll be interesting to see how modern MS is.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Also your images should be JPEGs, not PNGs.

PNG (690kB):

JPEG (90kB):

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions everyone. I can make future updates jpgs no problem, and at some point I'll probably batch convert these to match, but that'll be lower priority compared to working on the new stuff. Hopefully I'll see y'all in the thread proper. I'll make it when I have a second update banked, I think, so that I know this first one wasn't just a fluke of motivation.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Happy Litterbox posted:

I'm working on a Shin Gihren's Greed LP. Thus far I have done the introduction and an intermission chapter. Can you guys check this from a technical standpoint. Like are the screenshots a good size and if the formatting is good.

Let's Play Shin Gihren's Greed - Winning a war and all I have is a Zaku
Intermission 01 - Welcome to Ramba Rals scenario

I was actually flipping through test posts number by number, hunting for an old post of mine, when I saw an earlier incarnation of this a while back. I thought it looked good on a quick skim and it looks even better now, so I’d say it’s postable. Remember you can ask the thread for suggestions and edit them in as you go.

I’m using a big ol’ VBA script in Word to convert my game’s script into something workable, but there’s a thorny problem I can’t get it to solve and I could use suggestions. Should I talk about it here, post in the Tech Support Fort, or brave the wilds of YOSPOS?

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!
Here is a test post for my Shandalar Randomizer playthrough.
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160674

I'd like some feedback on the first two posts and the video quality. Yes, I know it's a massive 3-hour video, I'm not expecting anyone to watch the whole thing - I just want to make sure that it's presentable.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i was confused about all the empty space on the right until i skipped forward enough to see that your hand cards went there, so that nixes my would-be complaint about it not being centered

i personally do not care for the bottom chunk of the screen but i'm guessing that was a stream overlay or something? if you plan to edit the streams into more digestible vids then imo you should also crop that out

post layout seems fine (dunno why all the images are clickable though?). iirc that might be lpix doing something weird with [timg] tags - and if so there's no need to do that, since none of the pics are big enough to need it at all (and if that's not it then welp :v:)

depending on how many deck submissions you get you might want to have the links in a second post just in case you bump into the character limit

biosterous fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 25, 2022

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
So I tried my hand at creating SSLP of my favorite Touhou fangame after being inspired by many SSLP I watched.

Main Post
Prologue
Touhou Character Info
(WORK IN PROGRESS)

So what do you guys think?

I also have a question: If I want to put link to the game’s BGM, can I just find the OST on Youtube and link it there or do I need to upload the music files myself?

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!

biosterous posted:

i was confused about all the empty space on the right until i skipped forward enough to see that your hand cards went there, so that nixes my would-be complaint about it not being centered

i personally do not care for the bottom chunk of the screen but i'm guessing that was a stream overlay or something? if you plan to edit the streams into more digestible vids then imo you should also crop that out

post layout seems fine (dunno why all the images are clickable though?). iirc that might be lpix doing something weird with [timg] tags - and if so there's no need to do that, since none of the pics are big enough to need it at all (and if that's not it then welp :v:)

depending on how many deck submissions you get you might want to have the links in a second post just in case you bump into the character limit

Yeah, for the record recording Shandalar is a massive pain in the rear end. Each 'window' in the game is actually a separate window application, so I had to position them all just right to get them somewhat resembling how the game really looks. I decided to put my hand up there so that it would block less of the screen though.

There's a stream overlay, I plan to use that part of the screen to also hold my current decklist. I can turn the timg tags back to not timg tags, they just appeared stretched on my monitor, and I planned to put the deck submissions in the second post anyway.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Leal posted:

Which button do you press?

Linear game with a backlog but when it runs out just keep putting off writing more because you can't be assed at the moment and suddenly several months have passed and it'd be too weird and awkward to try now.

Or, spicy option: branching game but backlog each branch.

Not that I'd do either of those, though. That'd be silly. :sweatdrop:

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

Your Everyday NEET posted:

So I tried my hand at creating SSLP of my favorite Touhou fangame after being inspired by many SSLP I watched.

Main Post
Prologue
Touhou Character Info
(WORK IN PROGRESS)

So what do you guys think?

I also have a question: If I want to put link to the game’s BGM, can I just find the OST on Youtube and link it there or do I need to upload the music files myself?

Hm, I think you probably need more comments and transcription / translation of the in-game lines to make the readers have a better idea of what's happening.
Also, it's probably better to crop the portraits in character info page to make them same in size.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
So if I guess I need to put the transcribed story text at the end of the post. The reason that I used the synopsis style commentary is because the story translation goes up to 2nd dungeon of the game. At which point I need to use machine translation.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I would want to see the translation after the relevant picture, personally. Alternatively hold off for a full patch

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
So, I guess my experimental synopsis style commentary is a no go. Guess I have to remake the post.

I don't think the full patch will be available. The person responsible for the patch has been busy with real life stuff and jobs.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You can post the LP if you want to. Just don't expect a ton of people to follow along.

If you're going to, though, I suggest making the updates a lot shorter. That's going to be a lot easier for us to digest.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Yeah... I guess it should be expected since the game I picked is just obscure game.

Shorter update. Got it. I should divide the prologue part in 2. So I only need to remade first half of the prologue before I could post it for real

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I remember some posts about a keyboard/gamepad binding program, something like a modern version of Joy2Key, what was it? Sorry if it's so random, but I'm almost certain I first heard about it in this thread.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

hey, this is kind of a weird request (and i dont expect an immediate response anyway, its 3am lol), but would a mod (or at least someone who oversees this subforum) be comfortable giving me their discord (or linking me to a discord server so I can DM them from there, i'm not aware if there's an LP discord that could help w/ this) so I can DM them about something for a game I'm planning to LP? :eng99: Not a prem member so I don't have PM access or I'd just ask through that way, but it's something I would rather plan for ahead of time so I have something in place for when the LP gets to the point it's relevant. Sorry if I'm being weirdly vague, it's not something I really want to go into more than I have to.

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

Mix. posted:

hey, this is kind of a weird request (and i dont expect an immediate response anyway, its 3am lol), but would a mod (or at least someone who oversees this subforum) be comfortable giving me their discord (or linking me to a discord server so I can DM them from there, i'm not aware if there's an LP discord that could help w/ this) so I can DM them about something for a game I'm planning to LP? :eng99: Not a prem member so I don't have PM access or I'd just ask through that way, but it's something I would rather plan for ahead of time so I have something in place for when the LP gets to the point it's relevant. Sorry if I'm being weirdly vague, it's not something I really want to go into more than I have to.

I don't know any LP community in discord and I am not sure I can provide any useful advice but maybe I can have a peek
The question is...... how should I contact you? Just post my discord ID in my reply?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You want this server: https://discord.com/invite/EupwCA9

It's also linked in the OP.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ah, thanks, i wasn't sure if it was still current considering the OP is like 5 years old and discord links can fail pretty often :v: I'll hop in here before I head off for the night and go from there tomorrow

the main reason i ask is that this is like.... a content issue, but one i feel i can write around/deal with appropriately if given the chance, and it's a single instance of a thing so it's not something that could possibly ruin the LP either. the closest comparison would probably be how falconier talked to a mod pre-emptively for the katawa shoujo LP, though its not....quite the same situation, so I want to make sure everything's cleared and above board and whatnot.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mix. posted:

ah, thanks, i wasn't sure if it was still current considering the OP is like 5 years old and discord links can fail pretty often :v: I'll hop in here before I head off for the night and go from there tomorrow

The only reason a discord link ever fails is if someone doesn't pay attention and leaves the "disable this discord link after 1 day" box checked in Discord's invite link creation page.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The only reason a discord link ever fails is if someone doesn't pay attention and leaves the "disable this discord link after 1 day" box checked in Discord's invite link creation page.

To be fair that's what 99% of people making an invite link do

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mix. posted:

gave you pm's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

sebmojo posted:

gave you pm's

oh poo poo well, uh, thanks

i already talked to a mod on discord but this is much appreciated regardless :unsmith: