Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

*shudders*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
rather just drop to TTY at that point lol

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I had no idea that gnustep and window maker was still a thing, I guess open source projects never die, are there still distro's out there that defaults to it?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Probably not. I have puppy linux on a tiny USB I got from work and it uses jwm, which is surprisingly nice to use. it's still developed after like 20 years

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i like xfce and use thunar regularly even when running other wms

xfce is like looking into a parallel universe of what linux desktop software would be like if it wasn't designed to be as obtuse and awful as possible

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Progressive JPEG posted:

xfce is like looking into a parallel universe of what linux desktop software would be like if it wasn't designed to be as obtuse and awful as possible

I think you misspelt KDE

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Progressive JPEG posted:

Ya xfce is good.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

xfce does the needful.

i have written a lot of backend stuff on linux and i still have no idea how any of the desktop stuff is meant to be layered. does that use wayland? does anything?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Kamrat posted:

I had no idea that gnustep and window maker was still a thing, I guess open source projects never die, are there still distro's out there that defaults to it?

https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
windowmaker's website is baller as hell: https://www.windowmaker.org/

windowmaker owns, and just looking around on that website sparks long-forgotten joy

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 22, 2022

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Poopernickel posted:

windowmaker's website is baller as hell: https://www.windowmaker.org/

windowmaker owns, and just looking around on that website sparks long-forgotten joy

It is wonderful, I remember the first time I ever got a nextstep-like enviroment for my windows-computer back in the 90's, think it was litestep or something along those lines, it felt so cool... until it broke like 2 weeks later, those where the days.

But ever since whenever I see a nextstep-like desktop environment I get nostalgic.

Cool!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
don’t forget Étoilé

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

AlbertFlasher posted:

Ya xfce is good.

i also use xfce and it is nice and predictable

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

lol, apparently /dev/random and /dev/urandom can't be the same afterall

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

psiox posted:

yeah xfce is v. good and has great performance

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

*squeals* GEM ST desktop

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
the idea of "open source projects that never die" made me think about RISC OS and holy poo poo there's *still* active development on it for ARMv3 machines

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

the worst that can happen to an opensource project is that it's cryogenically frozen if it stops receiving maintenance, until someone else picks it up

mystes
May 31, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

the worst that can happen to an opensource project is that it's cryogenically frozen if it stops receiving maintenance, until someone else picks it up
OpenOffice proves that, no, that isn't the worst that can happen

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

openoffice proves a lot of things, really. it seems to exist as an example to everyone else

mystes
May 31, 2006

OpenOffice is like Schrodinger's cat except you're locked in the box with the cat and it's using you as a scratching post

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

psiox posted:

i like xfce, but my main two gripes with it is that some things just arent possible with its control panel (gotta load some gnome shitpile to twiddle a setting), and the file manager is unpredictable.

here is an example screenshot that i took from my then-work computer. sometimes when opening a folder i would get one type of window, and sometimes i would get the other. (filenames redacted cause work stuff)

it was mystifying for as long as i worked there (which wasnt very long; this was an internship)

maybe there was some reliable way to get one or the other, but in the course of just like normal working i would have some random assortment of both

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Kazinsal posted:

the idea of "open source projects that never die" made me think about RISC OS and holy poo poo there's *still* active development on it for ARMv3 machines

well yeah why wouldn’t there be

people are also still improving FreeTOS and MINT

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hell even MINIX is still getting work done (just not 1.5)

also MPE has an interesting and small set of syscalls (which it calls “intrinsics”), someone could totally reimplement it in C from first principles

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

what do you mean "even minix"? most of yospos runs minix every day, more than use linux for sure.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

imagine if unix had a sort/merge system this awesome

and could be accessed directly via syscalls rather than have to route poo poo through pipelines

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

then again the OS has a real database built in

actually more than one because there are also TurboIMAGE and ALLBASE/SQL available in ways that basically add them to MPE rather than layer them strictly on top of it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

that reminds me of the periodic idea that seems to crop up pretty regularily, where people think they're the first to invent the idea of using a database instead of a filesystem

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That seems like a distinction without a difference to me.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
bah.

implement a key based record search with arbitrary block sizes in the disk hardware itself if youre really serious about that sort of thing.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
No one will pull me away from GNOME unless they offered me GNOME-but-with-faster-file-manager. Also apt is inferior to pacman.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

fresh_cheese posted:

bah.

implement a key based record search with arbitrary block sizes in the disk hardware itself if youre really serious about that sort of thing.

you jest but i imagine this type of discussion comes up frequently at the CEPH project.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i came back to my arch desktop after about 6 months unused and it displays the following issues, randomly. every reboot picks 1-3 issues off the list. this is not a request for assistance because i know better than to try to fix linux. im just complaining

not recognize usb microphone
no sound in firefox but everything else is fine
low fps in rimworld
flashing black screen in rimworld
takes two minutes to shut down
steam can't connect but firefox can

cool my linux is full of ghosts

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Have you tried not using a toy distro?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

Have you tried not using a toy operating system?

install windows if you want to play games, op

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

yummycheese posted:

you jest but i imagine this type of discussion comes up frequently at the CEPH project.

not a jest, s/360 did it in ‘64 with the Count Key Data disk io architecture

ref: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_key_data

its literally “select all data records with key=<zipcode> “ implemented in the disk hardware/firmware

its still there today in z/OS VSAM with any modern ECKD dasd. DB2 on Z is basically just a lock manager and sql parser on top of vsam data in eckd disk.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Have you tried not using a toy distro?

sound recently stopped working in chome on my ubuntu work laptop

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my sound is working great in edge on windows 10

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

my sound is working great in edge on windows 10