Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Stick a pair of googly eyes on them

"Yeah, I taxidermied Cookie Monster and Elmo for my controllers, for I am the Muppet Hunter."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Game Sonic doesn't have fur. You can see in the FMVs he's made out of this hard crinkled plastic material. The controllers are only possible since the movies.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In all seriousness, I doubt anyone is gonna play with these controllers versus keeping them preserved as collector's items

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i would play with them

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i agree that the controllers should be made of quills to punish you for being a gamer

When you get an achievement one shoots through your hand

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Hell, hedgehogs and echidnas aren't particularly furry anyway.

Kinda surprised in all the friends sonic has picked up over the years we never got a major character porcupine to round out the spikeys.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Man, that just makes me realize how much I want Sonic to have a relative who's just a Sonic-sized, photo-realistic hedgehog.

"Oh hey, it's my weird cousin, Hedgehog the Hedgehog..."

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7uCAuNl1C4

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Disgusting, I love it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Man, that just makes me realize how much I want Sonic to have a relative who's just a Sonic-sized, photo-realistic hedgehog.

"Oh hey, it's my weird cousin, Hedgehog the Hedgehog..."

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Simply Simon posted:

06 also has lots of stretches of legit good level design while BK does...not

I mentioned that I was actually having some fun with parts of ‘06 in the 360/PS3 thread on the retro board and no one was having that. It’s a mess but there are some great spots and it’s pretty clear that if they had more time it would’ve been a solid game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

holefoods posted:

I mentioned that I was actually having some fun with parts of ‘06 in the 360/PS3 thread on the retro board and no one was having that. It’s a mess but there are some great spots and it’s pretty clear that if they had more time it would’ve been a solid game.

Link them my Let's Play to really melt their brains lol

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

holefoods posted:

The reaction towards 06 is wildly hyperbolic these days. I feel like the game has been memed into being one of the worst games of all time.

06 is a disaster, but there is a salvageable aspect to it. Secret Rings & Black Knight are just trash.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean there's no salvaging the human hedgehog romance

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

P-06 isn't perfect but it shows a glimpse into what Sonic 06 could have been with more time and budget and it's fine to fun even.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Project 06 is legit really fun, it doesn't erase ALL the jank (that's probably impossible) but it goes a long way

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

ninjewtsu posted:

i mean there's no salvaging the human hedgehog romance

I feel like people kind of harp on the Hedgehog/Human romance aspect a lot, but I don't think even that's an inherently unsalvageable idea (Think a Roger Rabbit kind of situation). The problem was more in the disconnect between the mostly realistic models they used for human characters trying to emotionally play off of the far more cartoony Sonic characters. That sort of style disconnect can work when the disparity is played for comedy or the realistic actors are kept mostlt separate from the cartoony ones, but trying to have the two styles play off each other in a serious, emotional capacity just doesn't work super well.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

P-06 isn't perfect but it shows a glimpse into what Sonic 06 could have been with more time and budget and it's fine to fun even.

Honestly I feel like the only major cruft from the original 06 game holding P-06 back is that they still have to work with the voice files from the original game. Sonic 06 did not have good direction for its voice actors...

That said I feel like there are still definitely some things P-06 fixes that would probably would have still been problems with 06 even if they'd had more time to work on it. Key among these is that a lot of the environments from 06 are just kind of ugly? They look much better with the more modern shaders P-06 is using, but the problem is a lot of the hub worlds were designed to be these big, open areas with little to nothing in them in order to accommodate the side missions. Like, there are definitely some environments that look much nicer than others (The section on the roof of Kingdom Valley for instance), but a bunch of areas in the game suffer from just looking kind of boring.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
After some recent videos from Simon I think the basic complaints are more accurate. It's not that Sonic 06 needed 6 more months to fix bugs and get the engine working; every part of production, including many basic design and construction elements, are incomplete. Entire levels and asset groups would need to be remade from scratch to make many parts of the game fun.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder what fixed up mach speed is like

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KingKalamari posted:

Honestly I feel like the only major cruft from the original 06 game holding P-06 back is that they still have to work with the voice files from the original game. Sonic 06 did not have good direction for its voice actors...

That was definitely a problem with Sonic at that point - Secret Rings has a bunch of mistranslations, mostly with non/plurals. The genie lady says like, "You can get the pearl" but there's a gorillion of them, etc.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

After some recent videos from Simon I think the basic complaints are more accurate. It's not that Sonic 06 needed 6 more months to fix bugs and get the engine working; every part of production, including many basic design and construction elements, are incomplete. Entire levels and asset groups would need to be remade from scratch to make many parts of the game fun.

Step 1: Develop the engine to the state that artists can start designing levels and fine-tune Sonic's controls to near perfection (i.e. just copy SA2)
Step 2: Take Sonic's physics and adjust them for the other characters. If they aren't fun they don't need to be playable.
Step 3: Make fun, creative levels and a dumb shoenen story to tie them all together.

Alternatively,

Step 0: Spend 2 years making the most in-depth Chao Garden imaginable and cram the rest of development in the last 6 months.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Some parts are 50% there, some 70%, some 90% (the fun parts), and some don't work at all, of course.

Even really good ideas get held back by issues in other aspects spilling over, like a short but tough town mission that would be great if not for the loading times on retries.

Overall, though, I think the game deserves a chance. Lots of people worked very hard on it and it does show if you cut it some slack.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

kirbysuperstar posted:

That was definitely a problem with Sonic at that point - Secret Rings has a bunch of mistranslations, mostly with non/plurals. The genie lady says like, "You can get the pearl" but there's a gorillion of them, etc.

LOOK AT ALL THOSE EGGMAN’S ROBOTS

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Also Sonic's proportions are really odd in 06, particularly when he's next to Elise.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Also Sonic's proportions are really odd in 06, particularly when he's next to Elise.

Also if I recall correctly only Sonic and especially Eggman were significantly changed for some reason, everyone else looked more or less like they always had

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it owns they tried to make eggman look realistic lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That loving Sned posted:

Step 1: Develop the engine to the state that artists can start designing levels and fine-tune Sonic's controls to near perfection (i.e. just copy SA2)
Step 2: Take Sonic's physics and adjust them for the other characters. If they aren't fun they don't need to be playable.
Step 3: Make fun, creative levels and a dumb shoenen story to tie them all together.

Alternatively,

Step 0: Spend 2 years making the most in-depth Chao Garden imaginable and cram the rest of development in the last 6 months.

SA2 is seriously overrated, but going back to the drawing board on the engine really is a good start. For a game supposedly about speed and movement, Sonic games basically feel like a no-frills licensed platformer that's just sped up to the point of being barely controllable- hence why they're constantly trying to change gameplay styles to one that doesn't blow past level scenery by default. They're built on a faulty foundation. Like, Mario is faster than Sonic and has platforming engines built more around momentum and style, even with a goddamn rolling dash now.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ROFL Octopus posted:

"Minus gravity detected"

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it owns they tried to make eggman look realistic lol

Tangentially related but lol that the Sonic movie's producers tried defending their original Sonic design by saying they thought people would appreciate a "more realistic" depiction of Sonic

ah yes, what we need is a more realistic supersonic talking hedgehog

That loving Sned posted:

:hmmyes:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they failed because the hedgehog was not realistic at all

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The original movie design arguably looked less like a hedgehog than Sonic does normally

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ROFL Octopus posted:

shaaaaahh

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That loving Sned posted:

"But we lost our a-life guy!" Well hire a drat new one it's been 20 years and it wasn't that complicated a sim.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
real hedgehogs are not blue, cannot talk, and dont move very fast

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Real hedgehogs are impossibly lame.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

They can curl up into balls at least though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

SA2 is seriously overrated, but going back to the drawing board on the engine really is a good start. For a game supposedly about speed and movement, Sonic games basically feel like a no-frills licensed platformer that's just sped up to the point of being barely controllable- hence why they're constantly trying to change gameplay styles to one that doesn't blow past level scenery by default. They're built on a faulty foundation. Like, Mario is faster than Sonic and has platforming engines built more around momentum and style, even with a goddamn rolling dash now.

I don't think Mario is faster than Sonic

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
mario is stronger can jump higher but is not as fast imo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Depends if you stick a rocket flower up his rear end. Those bits of Odyssey control a lot like Sonic probably should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I wonder what fixed up mach speed is like

my friend, check out the little known gem sonic unleashed