Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Khablam posted:

Should have bought an M5 mate.

Should have bought a CT5-V Blackwing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

MustardFacial posted:

My next car will be an EV. I'm waiting for someone to make an EV AWD sedan with 400km range and 400ish hp for less than 100K that isn't a Tesla.

BMW i4 M50

I mean, yeah, it‘s a „Grand Coupé“, but it‘s close.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MustardFacial posted:

440xi Gran Coupe M Performance.

I wanted a 4 door AWD sedan with a liftgate in the style of the S5 and the S7. I looked at the S5 originally but it didn't feel different enough from the S4 plus the twin turbo V8 in the S7 was very enticing. So then I started shopping around for S7's and it turns out that they depreciate so fast that you could pick up 2 year lease returns for pennies on the dollar. A 2 year old car is still brand new no matter how much you beat on it (especially around here).

So I was shopping around S7's trying to find one with the packages I want when a friend of mine turned me onto this BMW. It was a 4 door AWD sedan with a liftgate like I wanted, it didn't have as much power as the S7, but BMW specific ODB tools are much easier to acquire than anything made by VAG and the power that can be achieved with an intercooler and tune would put there close enough that it wouldn't make a difference. But the biggest selling point was that it was an M Performance edition. BMW only makes about 500 2, 3, 4 series a year as M Performance cars and to find one that was also an x drive gran coupe was probably even rarer.

Ha, the 440i GC was one I dailied for a few weeks when I was trying to make my mind up, not the xDrive or M Performance though. It's a sweet ride but something about it just didn't gel with me, maybe because it was RWD it didn't feel quite as planted on the road. That twin scroll straight six is an absolute peach of an engine though.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I have a Toyota 86 GT. I enjoy it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Frond posted:

I have a Toyota 86 GT. I enjoy it.

I miss mine. :smith:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It's also sort of replacing the MX5 as the go to cheap trackaday car in the stockish Time Attacker classes as it doesn't require a roll bar. The ND has a better suspension design though.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Frond posted:

Did they not see the 3, perhaps 4 times where hill directly plowed into the back of Schumacher?

That seems unlikely, it would have required Hill to be travelling quicker than Schumacher.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It's good on gas, reliable, and can fit 4 17-18" tires and a jack with the seats folded down. Easy to drive and park too (it's actually smaller than my S13 240SX).

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Dudley posted:

That seems unlikely, it would have required Hill to be travelling quicker than Schumacher.

It was going into turns when Hill blew the braking point and clouted the back of him.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Quizzlefish posted:

Please explain this lease policy. I'd love to go EV through a tax break. Can you buy it at the end for a decent price?

So a lease means I give it back after 3 years, no option to buy it. Salary sacrifice is a thing done through a lot of workplaces here in the UK where your work has arranged a deal where you can use part of your pre-tax salary to pay for things monthly. It's very popular with buying bikes (technically for commuting) but recently places have started doing it for EVs too. The lease I have has insurance, servicing and all the extras lumped in free as well so essentially I don't have to worry about anything except paying the flat rate out of my gross pay. On top of that, splitting the cost 50/50 with my girlfriend means it's very affordable.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Yup - I have an ATS-V and just lol if you're not buying the superior American sports sedans. Need a GENERAL MOTORS F1 team to demonstrate the superiority of American engineering.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 23, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

looks like they identified the problem with the Red Bull...... Max Verstappen was trying to call the pits with a freaking Galaxy Note 7!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I like my Camaro 2SS. Very fun car with lots of power and potential and relatively cheap

Gas prices are making me question a 6.2L V8 but there's no replacement for displacement

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
https://www.npr.org/2020/11/18/936268845/apple-agrees-to-pay-113-million-to-settle-batterygate-case-over-iphone-slowdowns
https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/13/updating-to-ios-10-is-bricking-some-iphones-and-ipads/
https://www.theverge.com/2012/2/17/2807511/apple-settles-antennagate-class-action-lawsuit-15-or-a-bumpercase-for

I'm never buying anything electronic that's American.

Khablam posted:

Should have bought an M5 mate.
The modern M cars are too far up their own rear end. I liked them better when they were basically sleeper cars that were a badge and a small trim piece away from being the standard 3/5-series. The modern ones call so much attention to themselves with the bulging hoods and stripes everywhere and the constant obnoxious loud overrun noises they make. gently caress that.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

They only very recently brought the CTS-V Blackwing to Canada. But if it was an option at the time I would've put it on my shortlist.

tuo posted:

BMW i4 M50

I mean, yeah, it‘s a „Grand Coupé“, but it‘s close.

New BMW's are ugly as gently caress. My one is from the year before the stupid grille when they still looked decent.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Aphex- posted:

So a lease means I give it back after 3 years, no option to buy it. Salary sacrifice is a thing done through a lot of workplaces here in the UK where your work has arranged a deal where you can use part of your pre-tax salary to pay for things monthly. It's very popular with buying bikes (technically for commuting) but recently places have started doing it for EVs too. The lease I have has insurance, servicing and all the extras lumped in free as well so essentially I don't have to worry about anything except paying the flat rate out of my gross pay. On top of that, splitting the cost 50/50 with my girlfriend means it's very affordable.

There's no purchase option in your lease? That's a bummer, my Golf lease just ended and I'm buying it because the payoff is comically low compared to what the car is worth.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Full Collapse posted:

I’m jonesing for a 2 series. It could happen if my currently wrecked car gets totaled.

I tried out the current generation of 1, 2 and 3-series last year. I always felt like the 2-series was kinda pointless. I could get a cheaper, smaller car for city-driving in the 1-series and a bigger nicer car in the 3-series....

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
I don't own a car and it loving rules, can recommend

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Frond posted:

It's also sort of replacing the MX5 as the go to cheap trackaday car in the stockish Time Attacker classes as it doesn't require a roll bar. The ND has a better suspension design though.

I still kind of want a MK1 MX5 but it seems like I've missed the window where you could pick up a well running example for a couple of grand, good ones are getting rarer now.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I have a WRX. Can't say I like it but it's an honest car and gets the job done.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There's no way you could ever convince me to buy a Miata after owning an old RX7. Mazda may have good vehicle dynamics but their build quality is garbage as a result.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
my car payments: €0 per month
Gas: €0 per month
maintenance: €0 per month

it rules

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

nawilo_420 posted:

it rules

"I'm mostly an indoor gamer"

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I've had my F80 M3 for 6 years now and have yet to tune it because it already struggles for traction on the stock tune

Might get some Cup 2s when my PS4S are used up

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

nawilo_420 posted:

it rules

aye but you have to use your legs to walk about or sit next to smelly bus people

you can't put a price on not having to interact with other people irl imo

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You can definitely put a price on it and it’s way too expensive.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

while we're on the subject of real cars some of you may enjoy this youtube channel I recently discovered. it's the kind of races you would see in the early gran turismo games or something, but for real. commentary is in japanese but has english subs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UeJ2b6Qhzw

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

italian quid posted:

There's no way you could ever convince me to buy a Miata after owning an old RX7. Mazda may have good vehicle dynamics but their build quality is garbage as a result.

This. My first 2 cars were RX-7's.

The first one was an FB and the rust was so bad that the rear suspension collapsed and the driveshaft would rub against the body. Still it was so much fun to drive that I bought an FC with an engine so shot I had to pull the bottom plugs and pour in a spoonful of oil just to get it to start. I thought it was the apex seals because lol rotary but when I finally pulled it apart the housings and rear irons had massive gouges in them and at that point it was new engine time so I dumped it for cheap.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I've been fortunate enough to own a few cool cars but nothing comes close to my old FD

Most unreliable car I've owned and I still miss it

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

refleks posted:

I tried out the current generation of 1, 2 and 3-series last year. I always felt like the 2-series was kinda pointless. I could get a cheaper, smaller car for city-driving in the 1-series and a bigger nicer car in the 3-series....

We don’t get the 1 series anymore in the US and a 3 series felt really big when I last sat in one. I’d be coming from a wrecked 86, so that’s the size of car I’m used to.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
It seems like 80% of the vehicles sold in North America now are pickups and SUVs/crossovers

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Hot Karl Marx posted:

It seems like 80% of the vehicles sold in North America now are pickups and SUVs/crossovers

it's the same in the UK but just crossovers, not really pickups.

and it especially sucks because parking spaces here are already small enough without every car being extra big.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

aye but you have to use your legs to walk about or sit next to smelly bus people

you can't put a price on not having to interact with other people irl imo

It's called taking the bike mate.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Zedd posted:

It's called taking the bike mate.

and get run over by some idiot like me in their car?? no chance!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Hot Karl Marx posted:

It is very sad that every single new EV coming out in North America over the next two years is either a truck or a crossover.

Theophany posted:

Ha, the 440i GC was one I dailied for a few weeks when I was trying to make my mind up, not the xDrive or M Performance though. It's a sweet ride but something about it just didn't gel with me, maybe because it was RWD it didn't feel quite as planted on the road. That twin scroll straight six is an absolute peach of an engine though.

Yeah, I get that. It's a nice car to drive and the engine is top notch, but (in my case anyways) between the CF front splitter crashing against every slight bump in the road and the very heavy steering with what feels like short travel suspension I don't feel as comfortable in this as I did my old A4. I find I worry much more about if I'm damaging the car than I ever did in my Audi.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 23, 2022

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Ford “Mustang” Mach-E

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

and get run over by some idiot like me in their car?? no chance!

Lol if you don't live in a developed country with proper bike infrastructure.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
You can't buy a standard Golf in the US and Canada anymore.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Mexicans may still have it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

All I have to say is Mexico gets the proper Hilux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Frond posted:

You can't buy a standard Golf in the US and Canada anymore.

Only the GTI and Golf R. You can still get a base model Jetta though. Bring the ID.3 to North America.

Full Collapse posted:

Ford “Mustang” Mach-E

Is a crossover.