Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Khanstant posted:

jesus how someone could write this much about themselves and still never once come anywhere close to having a drop of self-awareness at any point

no one is as confident as a truly mediocre person born into privilege

no one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's not just that he wanted to take a shortcut. He also thought she was too stupid to notice AND that she didn't know what she was talking about to begin with. He honestly never expected that thing to fall off the wall.

From the comments it sounds like wilful incompetence and/or active spite given he supposedly is perfectly handy when it comes to things he cares about.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Then I'll go with active spite because there's no mention of him acknowledging or even giving a poo poo that a bunch of her stuff was damaged or ruined.

The real story is in the edit where she's defending herself against users that decided she's an abuser that forced him to do a task he didn't know how to do without telling him anything and then screamed at him when he inevitably failed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for yelling at my boyfriend for making me leave my best friend's wedding?

quote:

My boyfriend, 27, and I, 26 have been together for 2 years. He's a good heart and is normally rational but his one issue is that he expects to accompany me in every ocassion nomatter how big or small. He even went with me to my ex boyfriend's funeral after days of begging.

Now my best friend got married few days ago, it was very small and only close family and friends were invited, My boyfriend couldn't come because of the + one rule. He pitched a hissy fit saying my best friend has no respect for my relationship and was shocked when he learned that I was still going to attend, He told me that if he can't go then I'm expected to not go as well but that is my best friend and I had to respect her rules. He gave me an altimatum either we go together or I stay home with him. I ended up going cause again I respected my friend's rules. He was angry with me and kept calling the entire 2hr drive then stopped. Later I got a text from his friend telling me he (my boyfriend) got into an accident and was taken to the hospital. I freaked out he gave me the address and I had to leave the wedding and told my friends why.

I was a crying the entire drive home and kept calling his friend but got no response. I arrived to the hospital and asked about my boyfriend and they checked and told me he wasn't there, My anxiety reached 160% as I kept calling his friends one by one. I just went home and there he was...along with his friend. He saw me and said that he was sorry but this was the only he can get me home after I left him alone. After the initial shock I just blew up yelling at him about lying and making me leave my friend's wedding and having me literally go to the hospital and freaking out cause of him. I kicked his friend out and we got into an argument. He kept talking about how much I love him thus I left which is my own doing not his and he was just trying to see if I really chose my friend's wedding over him. He then argued that my friend caused this and I shouldn't agree with her to exclude him, I said what he did was horrible and called him horrible and then went to my room. It was awful cause my friends kept calling to check in on him cause they thought he was really at the hospital. He said I overreacted and that I yelled at the wrong person.

AITA? Did I go too far?

Info based on request from a user:_ He has a history of mental health issues but got better the past few months. He also had a recent death in his family which really affected his health generally
:redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Command strips are complete dogshit and can't even hold a thin picture to the wall Jesus Christ.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Then I'll go with active spite because there's no mention of him acknowledging or even giving a poo poo that a bunch of her stuff was damaged or ruined.

The real story is in the edit where she's defending herself against users that decided she's an abuser that forced him to do a task he didn't know how to do without telling him anything and then screamed at him when he inevitably failed.

Unfortunately the latter not only is a real thing that happens but is one of my own personal terrors.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope she hangs her boyfriend to an exterior wall with command strips, the higher the floor the better. Does this idiot do his job like this? God I hope he doesn't do anything anyone else relies on. He's the type of idiot who gets people killed at job sites due to laziness.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 23, 2022

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

massive spider posted:

Command strips are complete dogshit and can't even hold a thin picture to the wall Jesus Christ.

In my experience they can either fail to hold up a tissue paper or permanently weld a 60-lb shelf to the wall. No in between. And no idea which it’s giving to be either.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Baronjutter posted:

I hope she hangs her boyfriend to an exterior wall with command strips, the higher the floor the better. Does this idiot do his job like this? God I hope he doesn't do anything anyone else relies on. He's the type of idiot who gets people killed at job sites due to laziness.

she says in the comments that he does a thorough, careful job on anything that he actually cares about. gives an example of a bookcase he made for himself that's put together very solidly, with screws and everything

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From the comments it sounds like wilful incompetence and/or active spite given he supposedly is perfectly handy when it comes to things he cares about.

A terrible man weaponizing his incompetence against his wife when she asks him to perform the simplest task? Who'd have thought?

The manchildren of reddit heard him blow the horn of Gondor and are flocking to his aid.

Kurieg posted:

AITA for yelling at my boyfriend for making me leave my best friend's wedding?

:redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag:

I love that he insisted on coming to her ex-boyfriend's funeral. I wonder what he did while he was there. Gloat? Make sure he was actually dead? Check the area for ghosts who were waiting to reincarnate as OP's firstborn son?

massive spider posted:

I tried to use command strips to mount a towel bar on one of those decorative drawers in front of my kitchen sink since I rent. The first time i try to take the towel off it the goddamn thing falls off. You're honestly better off using double sided tape.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I used command strips to mount a couple of wooden pole tools and they've stayed up for 3.5 years. I also used command strips to mount a small photo frame and it fell down well before that. Command strips are a land of contrasts

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Don't you know? If you raise your voice at any time you are the devil. A good person never, ever gets angry.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

no one is as confident as a truly mediocre person born into privilege

no one

her descent into wading directly and self-obliviously into flame wars reminded me of HellDump when someone would be getting dumped on but they compulsively replied to every comment and dig, never seeing they are ultimately delivering themselves the harshest burns in the effort

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

drat murder the plant cutters

Nah, just take a few cuttings.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

the mayonnaise article posted:

Mom’s extraordinary potato salad — fragrant with dill, spiced by celery seed — went untouched on the picnic table. So did her macaroni salad, and her chicken salad, and her deviled eggs. … When I carted home a good three pounds of painstakingly prepared Waldorf salad — all that peeling and coring and slicing! — I was forced to face facts: The family’s tastes had changed.
Holy poo poo, I'm a boomer and I wouldn't eat some of that stuff. Macaroni salad? Ugh. Deviled eggs are very retro-chic; I bet her mother's recipe doesn't have a significant amount of mustard in it. (Which is why it's called "deviled".) My reaction to those foods I like is that you use the mayonnaise sparingly, just enough to bind them together. And who the hell peels the apples in Waldorf salad?

But wow, what a White article, and I'm not even talking about the mayo.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

therobit posted:

who'd want them?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for siding with my mother when she and my wife got in an argument?

quote:

My wife and I had our first child around 2 months ago. She was home isolated during her entire pregnancy after the 6th month mark because of some pregnancy complications. We had also agreed that the first two months after birth our parents and siblings would be the only ones allowed to visit and see the baby and our friends and rest of the relatives could wait.

As soon as the baby turned 2 months my wife started trying to get back into her social life again. Sometimes she'd bring the baby with her but sometimes she'd expect me to babysit. Whenever I couldn't babysit she'd call her mom to ask her if she could care for the baby for few hours. My wife's a great mom and she truly cares for our baby but it's frustrating how she feels the need to go out the entire time.

One day while she was out shopping with a friend of hers,i was babysitting the kid and my mom visited me and asked where my wife was. I told her that she's out with a friend. My mom got very mad about how my wife went out and she told me I have no backbone for not calling her out and telling her to stay home with the baby. I told my mom ill handle this. My mom waited until my wife got back home and she started scolding her. It wasn't a proud moment of me and I really didn't want my mom to get involved but my wife needed to hear it from someone else too. My mom told my wife that she's irresponsible and that she should cut down her meetings with friends and stay home to care for the kid as a proper mother would. My wife tried to defend herself saying how I was always out with my friends both during her pregnancy and after she gave birth but both I and my mom tried to explain how me going out is not the same as her going out. My mom told her that the little walks and coffee hangouts with her friends are over and that she better get used to the fact that her social life will now be limited. It sucks but that's how it is. I agreed with my mother on all that and my wife is not speaking to me for days. She even sleeps in the guest room now and took the baby's crib there as well. She will only cook for herself and the baby and not for me. My MIL and my SIL have texted me saying I was a huge AH for this and so was my mom so I should not be surprised my wife is acting like that towards me.

Ah, the rare double switcheroo question title, where you don't reveal extenuating circumstances that surprisingly made you not an rear end in a top hat

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for refusing to replace an oven I broke?

quote:

When I(F20) was around 13 or 14, I decided to make some cookies one night. I turned the oven on to preheat without checking it first and accidentally burned a plastic plate that was inside the oven. That night my stepdad yelled at me and accused me of trying to burn the house down on purpose when I told him many times it was an accident and I was sorry.

Fast forward to now. I’m home for a week because I’m on spring break and my mom decided we should have a family dinner together. While at dinner, my mom mentioned how her and my stepdad were starting to renovate the kitchen and my stepdad made a comment about how I should be the one to buy them a new oven. Mom and I ignored the comment and just kept talking about the kitchen renovation.

The next day my stepdad stopped me before I left the house and told me he was serious and I need to pay for a new oven. I told him that was unfair as I accidentally broke it years ago and he said he didn’t care. Now he’s been blowing my phone up with ovens telling me I need to give him the money for one of them. I mentioned this to my grandma and she told my mom and now they’re both pissed off with him. Now he’s calling me an rear end in a top hat for not fixing the oven and for tattling to my mom like I’m a child.

TLDR- I accidentally broke the oven when I was 13 or 14 and now at 20 my stepdad wants me to fix it despite it being a stupid accident.

Dude's been sitting on this grudge for seven years.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for siding with my mother when she and my wife got in an argument?

Ah, the rare double switcheroo question title, where you don't reveal extenuating circumstances that surprisingly made you not an rear end in a top hat

I mean, he called taking care of the child "babysitting", so he was instantly the rear end in a top hat.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Any man who refers to watching their child as "babysitting" should be summarily ejected from society with zero custody.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Kurieg posted:

i melted a hole in the kitchen linoleum when i was 14 or so and didn't 'fess up until my dad replaced the linoleum like a decade later. he laughed

also lol @ homeboy's "how dare you tell anyone that i'm trying to extort the price of an oven out of you". if you stood behind your decision and thought you were doing the right thing, you wouldn't care that other people knew about it, right?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Who the gently caress stores plastic things inside an oven?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Who leaves a plastic plate inside the oven? That is the person who broke the oven. I bet it was step dad.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bruceski posted:

I'm not even sure how to imagine that, I keep trying to have it cut across oncoming traffic like a traditional left-turn intersection. Is it a divided highway where the left lane or two peels off and goes somewhere?

You just have the left lane peel off like so:

Southbound lanes on the right, northbound lanes over on the left edge of photo, southbound has a left lane peel off to join the other road, so you can avoid stopping at that light on the overpass. That’s a highway intersection in southwest Austin.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 23, 2022

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not telling my former “subordinate” that her choosing to WFH would make her ineligible for the promotion she wanted?

quote:

So im a supervisor, as opposed to a manager, who is my direct boss. So in essence, I keep the day to day operations of my team running, but I don’t delegate the work for any major accounts, nor am I responsible for hiring or staff transfers.

My team is exclusively people who work from the office or hybrid (3:2), i have no WFH members. A Purely WFH company is not feasible for a bunch of reasons, a lot are client based. like we still got some new accounts and some work completed during lockdowns, but our Big Fish halted projects until we could meet in person again, so WFH -only agents and researchers would not be accepted. The industry is also big on personal relations, which is ugh, but that’s the reality.

We do have WFH only staff, (I have nothing to do with their operations) and their work is parallel to what we do, albeit they take a “behind the scenes” role more than most in-office workers who meet with clients.

Someone in a coveted position was retiring, and for the last 2 years, 4 employees have been eyeing the job. Amy was one and she was a favourite with Management bright, motivated, great with clients. There was less than a year left until retirement, so when my manager told me Amy would be transferring to WFH in 3 weeks i was surprised. the papers were all signed so whatever right? Everything finished smoothly and she transferred.

Upon retirement Amy wasn’t a candidate for the position she didn’t get called for interviews. Her former rival got the job and he’s settled in. Amy found out the position had been filled she wasn’t happy and asked her manager why she wasn’t informed of availability.

(Both their stories on this match up): He told her she was no longer in the department and it was in-office only, something she no longer wanted since being pregnant. her work performance had dropped since the transfer and more so after the birth so they weren’t going to promote her to a hands-on position with a higher workload, and “your baby was poorly timed for this promotion”.

So after this talk, she came to me furious and asking why I didn’t tell her going WFH would cost her the promotion. I genuinely thought that this would have been explained when she applied for WFH, she had meetings with both managers. I mentioned that once she had signed the papers, it was not my place to comment, it was approved and happening.

She was clearly upset but seemed to get that she should have been better informed by managers during talks.

However after she left a few staff told me I should have given her the heads up about it, even if she had already signed a new contract. That it was probably brutal for her to wait to be interviewed only to find her rival got the job. In my head it seems obvious from the setup that WFH ≠ in-office and a WFH superior is illogical, but Amy seems blindsided by this, and seems she made plans with that promotion in mind.

EDIT: im actually 28, female.

I DID report the manager who made the baby comment, but as everything I know is post-hoc, I can't do anything more. When she asked for a transfer, I didn't even know she was pregnant until she had the baby months later.

I DID prod as to why she'd choose WFH over hybrid given its slightly different work, and she stated it was for personal reasons.

And I couldn't help Amy with her work performance because shes in a different working department with another hierarchy, and with WFH employees, we only know about the work quality of those we work with (none were Amy).

Yes, I wouldn't be sad if she sues, even without the baby comment, her being misinformed about the implications of WFH would probably be grounds for a case.

Somewhere an employement lawyer just jumped up and has no idea why

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Even if he had no idea what he was doing, instructions on how to mount a shelf with toggle bolts are readily available on YouTube. I wasn't born knowing how to replace the belt in my dryer

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hughlander posted:

AITA for not telling my former “subordinate” that her choosing to WFH would make her ineligible for the promotion she wanted?

Somewhere an employement lawyer just jumped up and has no idea why

willing to bet the managers were just catty because petty tyrants hate WFH

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for pointing out to my co worker that she was wearing men's sunglasses?

quote:

Goodmorning!

I M26 was put in a new position in the company that requires me to go out with other co workers to meet up with clients on locations. We have this co worker (Nancy) who's the newest member of the team. She kind of keeps to herself and don't talk much beside the work stuff.

Yesterday, we were out working and Nancy arrived 10 minutes later, she said her son was sick and that's why she was late. She didn't want to eat on lunch break and she didn't bring anything so we invited her and offered some snacks. One thing I noticed was that she had her sunglasses on the entire time. Yes, we were outside but she never took them off. I looked at the sunglasses and it downed on me that they were a brand made for men. I didn't know if she knew and whether she intended on wearing them, so I casually pointed it out to her and told her that she was wearing men's sunglasses, she looked at me and asked so what. I said I figured maybe she didn't notice but it was obvious to everyone else that she was wearing men's sunglasses this entire time. My co workers started laughing and Nancy suddenly got up from her seat and excused herself. My female co worker side eyed me then said that Nancy was obviously concerned for her sick kid and there was no reason for me to be fixated on her sunglasses and humiliating her infront of everyone. I said I was just letting her know but she said that really it was non of mg concern and I overstepped. I told her I casually just brought it up without any bad intentions but I was told I needed to apologize to Nancy later which I didn't because I don't think I said something out of line or overstepping I was just talking about the sunglasses since I have knowledge in these brands. Besides that if I didn't point this out to her, someone else would've. My male co workers thought that Nancy was being too sensitive and I was good and didn't to apologize but they could be biased since they always side with me in all of my arguments so I'm leaving this to you folks.

Thanks for reading.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

therobit posted:

Doc Hawkins posted:

who'd want them?

Maybe that woman from Tumblr who was robbing graves and selling the bones

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Soylent Pudding posted:

I hope she reports his bigoted rear end :frogc00l:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for publicly exposing this guy who urinates on my property, also exposing the fact that he's transgender(?)?

Send the video to the cops & notify them that the family of the trans kid is trying to extort money after trespassing & pissing on the shed

Batterypowered7 posted:

I mean, he called taking care of the child "babysitting", so he was instantly the rear end in a top hat.

He's a big reason dads get called "babysitters" when they're out in public with their kids & mom isn't around

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Soylent Pudding posted:

i wonder what sherlock here would do when he noticed all the buttons on my shirt are left-handed

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Foo Diddley posted:

i wonder what sherlock here would do when he noticed all the buttons on my shirt are left-handed

Hey, just thought you might like to know that your shirt seems pretty sinister today

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

willing to bet the managers were just catty because petty tyrants hate WFH

Meanwhile I am over here trying to WFH on my kids’ spring break wondering where the hell all these “asses in chairs” managers are and why they won’t tell my boss’s boss that I should have to work at least a couple days a week in office. Apparently having a desk charged to our cost center so I can be more productive and not go slowly insane from isolation is a bridge too far.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

therobit posted:

Meanwhile I am over here trying to WFH on my kids’ spring break wondering where the hell all these “asses in chairs” managers are and why they won’t tell my boss’s boss that I should have to work at least a couple days a week in office. Apparently having a desk charged to our cost center so I can be more productive and not go slowly insane from isolation is a bridge too far.

keep your mouth shut old timer

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for ruining my moms first (and possibly last) time as a grandma?

quote:

My mom has been getting increasingly upset as I’m nearing the end of my pregnancy and even my dad now says I’m being an rear end in a top hat for making her sad so AITA?

My mom usually takes a few vacations a year with her friends and then another few with my dad. She didn’t want to miss any so we had planned when she would see me around those including a buffer because I take anti-rejection medication and am an organ recipient. The rules my husband and I had in place was 3 weeks between her coming back from a trip and seeing us because typically when she gets home from travelling she spends the initial week home visiting her friends and always throw herself a “Bon-Return” party.

Our rules for after our baby is born is 3 months no visitors which some people think is extreme but it’s what I need to feel comfortable. Unfortunately she’s only been able to make one of our planned visits about 4 months ago because she had other surprises and trips she wanted to take. She was also upset because we decided not to find out the gender and her friends threw her a “grandma shower” and were all upset they didn’t know “what clothes to buy”. My husband and I live in an apartment so we don’t have a ton of space for extra stuff and we had specifically asked people not to get us clothes or linens but when I asked her to tell her friends that she said it would be rude.

She called me over the weekend and asked to come stay this week, but I said no as I’m busy this week and it was very last minute and she just got home from her friends 65th birthday blowout bash last weekend. She blew up at me sobbing for ruining this experience for her. She said I made her party awkward by being weird about the gender, she said she’s upset she will never have felt the baby kick (I don’t like being touched though so even if she had made her planned trips I don’t think she would have) she’s upset she didn’t get to take any “candid pregnancy pictures of me” (another thing I personally wouldn’t have liked, we did a bump shoot and that was even more than I ever like to be on camera frankly.) and she is upset she didn’t have any say in or get to help with the nursery.

I thought she was being really overbearing and blaming me for choices she made and tried to explain that but she just kept saying I was purposely trying to cut her out and I was succeeding in making her not want to meet the baby at all, which isn’t my intention.

My dad usually agrees with me when she is being like this but he is upset with me too and says this is different because it isn’t about her, it’s about her relationship with her grandchild. I’m very torn because I know lots of people want their mothers around and it’s not that I don’t it’s just she does cause me stress and the one thing that could minimise the stress (sticking to our schedule) she didn’t do. AITA?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yesterday, we were out working and Nancy arrived 10 minutes later, she said her son was sick and that's why she was late. She didn't want to eat on lunch break and she didn't bring anything so we invited her and offered some snacks. One thing I noticed was that she had her sunglasses on the entire time.

Shows up late wearing sunglasses that she doesn’t take off at all and won’t eat lunch? LOL she’s hung over.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for ruining my moms first (and possibly last) time as a grandma?

richpeopleproblems.txt

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

But wow, what a White article, and I'm not even talking about the mayo.
What? Herring in a fur coat was very popular in the USSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

therobit posted:

Who the gently caress stores plastic things inside an oven?

Nebrilos posted:

Who leaves a plastic plate inside the oven? That is the person who broke the oven. I bet it was step dad.

I've told this story before, but my ex-wife had a habit of putting things in the oven when they were in her way in the kitchen. Now I know some people store things like baking sheets and muffin tins in the oven because they take up space and they're metal anyway. Not the case with her. Literally anything in the way was going into the oven. One day I set it to preheat at 375 for dinner and went downstairs to change the laundry from the washer to the dryer. By the time I came back up the apartment was filled with smoke, the alarm was blaring, and she was out on the balcony pouring water on a smoldering black thing that I later found out was the goddamn CD player.