Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Chinook posted:

Is it possible (or even maybe fun?) to play through using sorcery or faith spells only? Never hitting anything with a melee weapon.

I have to imagine it'd be very difficult from a mana management perspective. You might be able to make it work early on if you detour for a bunch of flask upgrades and pump mind? I was using my magic primarily in the early game as the Astrologer starting class, but the sword still had to come out for when I ran out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

FishMcCool posted:

Lol, low-effort rune arc farm I guess?

hell i'm copying it now, i need more rune arcs and need to go to sleep

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Problem with Magic only is your total damage output is hard limited (at least for a while) by your FP.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Lol Roger actually showed up on my mage playthrough. Laffo at his poo legs

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I know there's been a lot of math in here about the Soreseal but legit talismans like this and Prisoner's Chain in DS3 are just for twinking out lower level builds especially for invasions. Your RL150 character will not benefit from Soreseal, but your RL15 to dunk on newbies at Castle Morne will.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

not to single you out specifically codo but plugging in a hose to start filling up the hype tanks for elden ring 2 with hopes and dreams when elden ring has only been out for a month seems unhealthy, to me

Also, you know, selling what 15 million copies?

They're good as is.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I have to imagine it'd be very difficult from a mana management perspective. You might be able to make it work early on if you detour for a bunch of flask upgrades and pump mind? I was using my magic primarily in the early game as the Astrologer starting class, but the sword still had to come out for when I ran out.

i wonder how many flasks you can get without having to fight any real big bosses. i peeled off the main path almost immediately and just went exploring and i probably upgraded my flash to the point of needing 2x golden seeds after a few hours of wandering. Getting Dectus Medallion especially is nuts since the capital has a few double-seed trees laying around in the open to scoop up on a drive-by torrent.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Where do you suppose the giant hands emit their grunts from when you hit them. Underneath the fingernail? Cuticle vibrations?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Khanstant posted:

i wonder how many flasks you can get without having to fight any real big bosses. i peeled off the main path almost immediately and just went exploring and i probably upgraded my flash to the point of needing 2x golden seeds after a few hours of wandering. Getting Dectus Medallion especially is nuts since the capital has a few double-seed trees laying around in the open to scoop up on a drive-by torrent.
Referencing a map:

quote:

1 Starting Gift
3 Tress in Limgrave
1 from talking to Roderika enough
1 you can get from killing Kenneth??
3 Trees in Caelid
4 Trees in Liurnia
1 Tree in Raya Lucaria
1 Tree is Siofra River

Like you said, you can probably also death run the Dectus medallion, and that opens up a bunch more in Altus and Gelmir.

Sacred Tears are also all pretty easy to get to as well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

codo27 posted:

Where do you suppose the giant hands emit their grunts from when you hit them. Underneath the fingernail? Cuticle vibrations?

Out of the stump

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Well that brings about a whole nother bunch of questions doesn't it. Were these hands born as they are or severed from a complete being?

Something else. You dodge those loving vultures and have a chance to slice the backs of their legs with your giant halberd, them fuckers should be going down. Hard. I can understand them not making the legs critical points given how you must fight them, but it makes more sense that way when you think about it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

codo27 posted:

Well that brings about a whole nother bunch of questions doesn't it. Were these hands born as they are or severed from a complete being?

WHERE ARE ALL THE FEET MONASTERS

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

kaleedity posted:

It's 15% more damage, the difference is you get damage reduction for every stat point you have and adding 20 stats is pretty significant for that

i'm a seal advocate but it is definitely only +3/stat, so the benefit does drop off later levels since it's just not as significant as having it at, say, ~L40-50. I think i kicked it at around 80-90 since it wasn't as meaningful as something else like the great jar letting me midroll with heavy as poo poo armor like cleanrot or radahn

early on tho those physical stats are hella nice to let you use stuff earlier

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Khanstant posted:

WHERE ARE ALL THE FEET MONASTERS

The game was made by one.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I quit my EMT job out of spite for the CEO thanking us for consistent 170% quarterly profit increases despite a 25% staff reduction, then saying there's no room in the budget for raises.

I still haven't done anything in Snow Town.

Y'all have some serious free time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Anime Liker posted:

I quit my EMT job out of spite for the CEO thanking us for consistent 170% quarterly profit increases despite a 25% staff reduction, then saying there's no room in the budget for raises.

I still haven't done anything in Snow Town.

Y'all have some serious free time.

hell i think i'm pushing 70 hours playtime and i *still* haven't finish mopping everything in limgrave/liurnia/caelid

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

codo27 posted:

Well here is a thing, you find a very large amount of them and also an even bigger variant near a bunch of dead/petrified/deathblighted giants, some of which are missing hands.

Could be nothing though!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just found them. What even is this game. Something good must be lurking around here given the sudden influx of giant powerful things

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

are there any other know "eye alteration" effects people have found? the ones I know of are that they turn blood-red if you do Varre's questline and turn yellow and lizard-like if you learn enough dragon spells

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

85 hours on my 1st, another 35 so far on my 2nd and im finding new poo poo I never ONCE came across (dungeon wise, totally missed areas). Game great. Game HUEG.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Maybe elaborate on your definition of "good"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I half wonder if the hand enemies are severed hands of the giants - you find a bunch of them on the mountain in the field with all the giant corpses/petrified bodies the other assumption I have is some kind of magical construct, since you find a lot of them in the Carian Manor and Inverted Tower. I wonder if they're some kind of weird attempt to recreate the two fingers. More fingers is more betterer.

e: Beaten.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Augus posted:

are there any other know "eye alteration" effects people have found? the ones I know of are that they turn blood-red if you do Varre's questline and turn yellow and lizard-like if you learn enough dragon spells

Frenzied Flame is the third-- they glow yellow

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

this is the first souls game i don't feel motivated to play.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

okay bye

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Personally I am going to have a hard time going back to a Souls game without a jump button

Ha ha j/k I'm still massively jealous of anyone with a PS5 who can play the Demon's Souls remake

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sockser posted:

Frenzied Flame is the third-- they glow yellow
:haibrow:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Astrochicken posted:

Don’t

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Astrochicken posted:

Someone's not emboldened by the flame of ambition

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Looks like our dear friend Fire Giant gets his jewelry from the same place as High Lord Wolnir

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Astrochicken posted:

k

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Finally someone who listens to Margit's advice.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Phenotype posted:

Okay, so again, I might be missing something here. But at 40 Vigor, you have 1450 HP. Put on the Soreseal, you instantly go up to 45 Vigor and 1581 HP. But everything hits for 15% more, so really you only have about 1375 HP (1375 x 1.15 = 1581.25).

So then you buy 4 more points of Vig to go up to 1680 HP, which means you're now slightly more survivable than you were at 1450 without the Soreseal (1450 x 1.15 = 1667.5). Or just 3 points, and you get 1656 HP to be almost exactly as survivable as before with the equivalent of 1440 HP.

Also these calculations are ignoring the increased defenses from the extra stats, so it's actually a little more in Soreseal's favor than this would show.

So you've traded 3-4 levels and a Talisman slot for 15 points in physical stats -- which are ALL useful in most builds, by the way. I have a Faith build, but I need the Strength and Dex to hit my weapon requirements and the Endurance to actually carry it, and so those are 11-12 extra points that can go directly into Faith instead.

Are there really Talismans that provide a better effect? I dunno most of the ones you're mentioning -- I run the Stamina Turtle and usually the jumping attack one alongside the Soreseal, and I don't think either of them are THAT noticeable. Godskin Swaddling Cloth sounds neat but that one's pretty far off, I think.

Talisman slots are at a premium and by the time you have most of the good ones you have to make hard choices. If you're playing a physical build then you already have the Str or Dex to hit your minimum requirements and your main stat is already soft capped.

There are so many damage increasing talismans that are way better than soreseal. The jump attack one is very obvious if you jump attack all the time and you take it off. The 15% weapon art damage talisman is basically a no brainer for most melee builds.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I beat the the last boss and I got to say it has the distinct honor of being so bad it actually casts a shadow over the rest of the game. Like after all these big epic fights, all the badass monsters or gods we fought, the final boss on this epic journey is a giant glowing

Really?

And the "challenge" was trying not to die of boredom running all over the loving arena. It was "Thank gently caress I finally caught up to him oh wait he's moved to the other end of the loving area again", pray you don't get a bad RNG move set from him, mindlessly spam damage, then rinse and repeat 10x.

What a giant, frustrating wet fart of a final boss. Terrible in every way. The first phase was ok I guess but there were definitely better/more memorable fights. poo poo if they had just ended it at Godfrey/Hoarah Loux it would have been great, that was actually a decent fight and felt like a good final boss. Overall I think the bosses in this were the weakest part. There were only a few that felt good to fight, most just seemed like gear checks or had really annoying mechanics that were more tedious than actually challenging.

...Yet despite all that it's still GOTY to me. The rest of the game is just THAT loving GOOD.

Groovelord Neato posted:

had a cool arena, and the best song in the game. Shoulda been able to use torrent though.

I will concede those points and yeah torrent would have made it less tedious.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 23, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was actually cool, had a cool arena, and the best song in the game. Shoulda been able to use torrent though.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Finally someone who listens to Margit's advice.

Being so terminally maidenless you don't even attempt to change that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was actually cool, had a cool arena, and the best song in the game. Shoulda been able to use torrent though.

Nah, it's poo poo. Torrent should have been the option though. The place is too big without them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Nah, it's poo poo. Torrent should have been the option though. The place is too big without them.

Nah the thing I said. It's funny seeing these responses I wouldn't have expected them apart from it running away when I played it. Thought it was one of the coolest bosses ever.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I vibed with it once I had the dodging and attacks down but prior to that was extremely frustrating so I get the hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i haven't encountered every single boss that's been complained about as "the worst boss ever" in this thread but of the multiple ones i have, i've only come away with impression that some people are whiners