Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I recently posted on AVS that maybe component manufacturers should abandon the 17" form factor because young people are used to wee little chi-fi components plus it makes their whole supply chain of shipping, retail inventory and returns a million times more expensive and got flamed to hell [I also said the people with the money and space to do 9+ channel Atmos were literally dying out which also didn't go over well].

Does anyone know why the big electronic companies haven't started moving towards class D wholesale? I assume it has a lot to do with their existing tooling and infrastructure but if you could fit twice as many boxes on a pallet and it didn't cost $100 in shipping to do a warranty service you'd think that would be good for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

I recently posted on AVS that maybe component manufacturers should abandon the 17" form factor because young people are used to wee little chi-fi components plus it makes their whole supply chain of shipping, retail inventory and returns a million times more expensive and got flamed to hell [I also said the people with the money and space to do 9+ channel Atmos were literally dying out which also didn't go over well].

Does anyone know why the big electronic companies haven't started moving towards class D wholesale? I assume it has a lot to do with their existing tooling and infrastructure but if you could fit twice as many boxes on a pallet and it didn't cost $100 in shipping to do a warranty service you'd think that would be good for them.

post links, post receipts

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I used to have a cool little half-width Yamaha A100 2x50W power amp.

This model:

I sold it because I was way more into active speakers at the time, but I really should have kept that cute little thing. Half-width components are great.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Agreed. I’ve been searching for half-width CD players and gah it’s (nearly) impossible.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

This model:

I sold it because I was way more into active speakers at the time, but I really should have kept that cute little thing. Half-width components are great.

YOU SHOULD HAVE SOLD IT TO ME OMFG

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love that style too, Technics did a nice range. I just saw the price of them on ebay now, woof.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think Teac is the only company still making stuff like that and their stuff is $$$$.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Agreed. I’ve been searching for half-width CD players and gah it’s (nearly) impossible.

Pro-ject and Cyrus are the only two I can think of and the first is kinda overpriced and the second is holy poo poo whoa overpriced.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 23, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

This model:

how much weight did you use on this one. I think 5lbs of Orgone would be the right amount of science for that spesific amp.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

tater_salad posted:

how much weight did you use on this one. I think 5lbs of Orgone would be the right amount of science for that spesific amp.

hold up. That depends on a lot of things. Did you collect that orgone from the source? How many crystals did you use? How many angles on those crystals?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Check out the Tascam CD-RW4U, I've been using one for years and it's pretty dope.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

TooLShack posted:

Check out the Tascam CD-RW4U, I've been using one for years and it's pretty dope.

Mmm this seems pretty great, and it would be rad to use my fancy-rear end ADC instead of what’s built in, kinda want to do some vinyl rips.

My only complaint is color, it would stick out among the rest of my small black boxes.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I recently made an account on Audiogon to buy some speakers and they started sending me a daily summary of forum activity. Normally I'd unsubscribe immediately but I've been enjoying reading some of the ridiculous poo poo people post there and I especially liked this guy's setup:

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8221

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Eyud posted:

I recently made an account on Audiogon to buy some speakers and they started sending me a daily summary of forum activity. Normally I'd unsubscribe immediately but I've been enjoying reading some of the ridiculous poo poo people post there and I especially liked this guy's setup:

The more I read of this the more I felt like my brain was being ripped out of my skull.

quote:

I decide to remove the thin "golden plates" and keep only Herkimer diamond and tourmaline on some of the Schumann generators... Sound is more balanced with some of the S. G. with the "golden" thin plates +tourmaline, but some S.G. with only Quartz or Herkimer Diamond or tourmaline...

On my small usb S.G., 3 had a "golden" plate with tourmaline or H.D. now, and the 5 others had tourmaline or some other stones only...These varieties and variations create a more harmonious and balanced sound. )
Liliputian H.D. (around .150 of a gram ) are very powerful and better than regular H.D. on top of tourmaline or golden plate for the S.G.

The shungite in general is delicate to use for audio positive effect... The shungite can add some negative trade-off in some place but that it is easy to compensate keeping only the positive impact...For this compensation the copper tape act like some polarization of the shungite action, and the Herkimer diamond added some balancing effect on all frequencies without erasing the impactful force of the shungite cleaning noise action....When needed it tough, on a big shungite plate for example, you can replace the little H.D. by tourmaline or pink Quartz for the balancing effect, for example if you put the "golden" plate on your central breaker panel...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

The more I read of this the more I felt like my brain was being ripped out of my skull.

drat....shungite, just what my system’s been missing all along....

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That reads like a horror short story where the protagonist is slowly replacing pieces of his own body.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Eyud posted:

I can't tell if it's a master troll or a true believer :regd04:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

That reads like a horror short story where the protagonist is slowly replacing pieces of his own body.

that SA Front Page article about a dude making himself into a toilet told in the style of those stories about famous aeronauts from the turn of the 20th Century

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You gotta click through and look at the pictures. If this is performance art, then it's so much work and such a disruption that it's still likely mental illness rather than genius art.

Dick Bass
Feb 22, 2006

I'm the rocks zip tied to the power line....

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

You gotta click through and look at the pictures. If this is performance art, then it's so much work and such a disruption that it's still likely mental illness rather than genius art.

there's no way that this isn't all done in jest right? Like no friggin way.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mental illness is a hell of a thing.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Mental illness is a hell of a thing.
Is "being an audiophile" in the DSM-5?

Mostly because "the music sounds better through gold cables with aligned crystalline structures, but only if they're elevated off the ground on wooden pyramids" doesn't sound THAT different from "I can hear what my cat says to me at night."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dude is one step away from turning his basement into a subwoofer, and that didn’t end well last time.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dude is one step away from turning his basement into a subwoofer, and that didn’t end well last time.

As a bass enjoyer, I need to know this story.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

tater_salad posted:

there's no way that this isn't all done in jest right? Like no friggin way.

I think some of it is narcissists making poo poo up, the audience giving them the response yet want, they escalate, and soon everyone's so invested and been doing it so long no one can take a step back and say "this poo poo's dumb." So basically an audio cult. I bet if you shut that particular board down for a few months a lot of the users would recover.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mister Speaker posted:

As a bass enjoyer, I need to know this story.

He went from https://makezine.com/2008/07/15/worlds-largest-subwoofer/

To http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm#THE%20REAL%20TOTAL%20HORN

(Although I thought he killed himself, but I might be mixing up two bass enthusiasts in my mind).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I remember a story about someone who made a sub-sub-subwoofer or something like that, not with a regular cone speaker, but with a propeller, which let it reproduce down to 18 Hz or something like that. And I think the kicker was that it had enough power to affect not just the house it was installed in, but also neighbors. As in, rattling the walls.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I think some of it is narcissists making poo poo up, the audience giving them the response yet want, they escalate, and soon everyone's so invested and been doing it so long no one can take a step back and say "this poo poo's dumb." So basically an audio cult. I bet if you shut that particular board down for a few months a lot of the users would recover.

The internet was a mistake.

My ex was into this poo poo except for healing and or preventing harmful [thing]. It really started kicking off around the dawn of facebook becoming mainstream and narcissists posting their special ways of living life. She started being an "audiophile" for life I guess. Crystals, house clearings, orgone, tinctures from bogwitch etc.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

stealie72 posted:

Mostly because "the music sounds better through gold cables with aligned crystalline structures, but only if they're elevated off the ground on wooden pyramids" doesn't sound THAT different from "I can hear what my cat says to me at night."

I will not stand for this anti-cat sentiment, and neither will Mr. Whiskers.

Mr. Whiskers also thinks that dude is a nutjob.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

nielsm posted:

I remember a story about someone who made a sub-sub-subwoofer or something like that, not with a regular cone speaker, but with a propeller, which let it reproduce down to 18 Hz or something like that. And I think the kicker was that it had enough power to affect not just the house it was installed in, but also neighbors. As in, rattling the walls.

These exist commercially, and I think they go even lower than that. But AFAIK they've only ever been installed in like, theme park exhibits and other places where 'really extreme LFE' is needed.

You and I know something like that would be almost entirely useless for music, which rarely has any content below 20Hz in it. But when has the existence of a 48dB/octave filter stopped audiophiles from being audiophiles?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

You and I know something like that would be almost entirely useless for music, which rarely has any content below 20Hz in it. But when has the existence of a 48dB/octave filter stopped audiophiles from being audiophiles?

Just EQ it until the sub-20hz noise shakes the floor.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You could hook up a modified subharmonic synthesizer that goes low enough.

(The venerable dbx 120a's lowest frequency output is 26hz, stock)

Or you could play track 9 ("Focus" or "Necropolis") from the Quake soundtrack. It digs below 10Hz, and is a real eye opener if you've only heard it on PC speakers. The theme to Terminator 2 also has a lot of super low bass.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 25, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I mean I'd be curious as to how many components in your system would have to be custom to hear that anyway, because I suspect sharp filters are... in lots of digital stuff? Just as a manner of principle. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Couldn't you theoretically create an infrasonic oscillator by taking a square wave with the pulse width cranked up (so it's basically DC) and applying an AM LFO to it?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think a lot of gear has subsonic filters, because usually you don't even want to try to deal with sub-20Hz content.

If you push a very strong signal below the port tuning frequency of a ported speaker, you can quickly run out of driver excursion.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I think a lot of gear has subsonic filters, because usually you don't even want to try to deal with sub-20Hz content.

If you push a very strong signal below the port tuning frequency of a ported speaker, you can quickly run out of driver excursion.

or what we cool cats like to call a “speaker prolapse”

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Please don't make me regret sharing this with you, but I've been trying to find a PD-501 at a reasonable price for a long time now.

https://www.musicdirect.com/disc-player/teac-pd-501-cd-player

:ninja:Nevermind, check this out instead:
https://www.musicdirect.com/disc-pl...80aAj7AEALw_wcB

Eyud posted:

I am the penis crystal with the blueballs clay.

https://ucarecdn.audiogon.com/7fb43709-4ed1-4a5d-9b0d-3e080b4bb030/-/autorotate/yes/-/quality/smart/-/format/auto/

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 25, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

These exist commercially, and I think they go even lower than that. But AFAIK they've only ever been installed in like, theme park exhibits and other places where 'really extreme LFE' is needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_woofer#Installations

quote:

Six rotary woofers are installed as part of an immersive Niagara Falls attraction known as Niagara's Fury, located in the Table Rock House, to provide low frequency extension down to less than 1 Hertz, to emulate those waves created by the falls.[9]

Don't make me drive up to Niagara Falls and cross the border just to experience this like some dumb tourist. :sigh:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Please don't make me regret sharing this with you, but I've been trying to find a PD-501 at a reasonable price for a long time now.

https://www.musicdirect.com/disc-player/teac-pd-501-cd-player

:ninja:Nevermind, check this out instead:
https://www.musicdirect.com/disc-pl...80aAj7AEALw_wcB

I am the penis crystal with the blueballs clay.

Funny timing, I just pulled the trigger on this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PNMTP1Y?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

- coaxial digital output
- amber display
- physical track forward/back buttons
- all black
- cheeeeeeeap (and looks like it)

My second choice is a Denon DCD-50, and third is that Teac. I wish the Denon didn’t have the silver slabs and REALLY wish the Teac didn’t have that blue display. The other options I’ve found are ALL in silver which won’t look good at all next to my black Topping D90/Pre90/ext90 stack.

May still get that Denon but it’s expensive and most of the ones I’ve found are 100v from Japan.

Thanks for the suggestions all! Wish this was a more popular segment :-(

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

nielsm posted:

A guy named Tony who used to post on AVSForum did that. He had excavated out from under his garage to build his theater and decided that he needed a rotary sub, which was routed up through the garage and into his attic. He also had Wilson Audio speakers. I seem to recall that he used Krell amps. Possibly Theta Digital.

I don’t know how apparent it would be in normal usage, but he did push it when it was first installed, and yes, his neighbors thought that it was a small earthquake. He lived somewhere in the SF area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Anyone who buys Wilson speakers is already way deep in the ham crate.