Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Got another one pretty quick, even managed it in under 100 years.

Honestly not too much to say about this run since it was just: Take Bosnia -> Declare on Ottomans with Poland + Muscovy (The privilege that grants Brethren of Faith is amazing and you should take it at all times) -> Declare on Hungary with other friends -> Repeat mostly.

Shoutout to Castile who has Naples in a PU before Iberian Union so I could sell them out to the Pope every time they joined a war against me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

In the last 24 hours I have gotten a river crossing penalty while sitting on a fort trying to take it and getting attacked, as well at as attacking someone sitting on my fort trying to take it.

I am 99.99% sure it's impossible for the defender to ever have a river crossing penalty. If you got one when attacking someone sieging your fort, the most likely explanation is that they had taken the fort without you noticing. This happens to me sometimes that the siege will end while I'm in the process of moving to break it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

IceG posted:

Thanks for the tips about the fun countries to try. I will definitely check out a guide before I start another Mali run that's for sure.

Ethiopia is a great time though, their mission tree has been fun to run through but I have just run into an ottoman wall with 3-4x my force limit. Managed to scrape a white peace on their first declaration but its a hell of an end boss having 250 FL in 1550!

Tbh during the middle of the game, the best options for dealing with the Ottomans are either to chip away at them while they're involved in other major wars and just take 20-40 warscore peace deals, or spend several years getting favours with all of their enemies and starting a horrible hellwar. Or both, preferably.

If you're playing as Ethiopia (or any other large-ish Mamluk adjacent country), what you can also do is ally the Ottomans when you're fighting the Mamluks and just repeatedly declare wars on the Mamluks and call the Ottomans in every time. This way you can decide who gets what land in the peace deals, you can assign all the land to yourself, and Ottomans will always have a truce with the Mamluks and they won't be able to expand into the Levant and Egypt and become gigantic. If you're coptic, you can also normally use this strategy to pick up a Syrian province from the Mamluks, release Syria as a vassal, convert it to coptic and then use the favours system to get the Ottomans to gradually return all the Syrian cores, including the coptic holy site in Antioch.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Red Bones posted:

Tbh during the middle of the game, the best options for dealing with the Ottomans are either to chip away at them while they're involved in other major wars and just take 20-40 warscore peace deals, or spend several years getting favours with all of their enemies and starting a horrible hellwar. Or both, preferably.

If you're playing as Ethiopia (or any other large-ish Mamluk adjacent country), what you can also do is ally the Ottomans when you're fighting the Mamluks and just repeatedly declare wars on the Mamluks and call the Ottomans in every time. This way you can decide who gets what land in the peace deals, you can assign all the land to yourself, and Ottomans will always have a truce with the Mamluks and they won't be able to expand into the Levant and Egypt and become gigantic. If you're coptic, you can also normally use this strategy to pick up a Syrian province from the Mamluks, release Syria as a vassal, convert it to coptic and then use the favours system to get the Ottomans to gradually return all the Syrian cores, including the coptic holy site in Antioch.

This is effective, but it does add a tragic element to your campaign as you eventually turn on your trusted ally and strip bits off of them over the course of several wars with their most hated enemies, all to get a sweet cheevo when you take Constantinople.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
This is not a game where you play as the "good guys".

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

That favor tactic of getting allies to return cores is crazy, I guess that was part of the new dlc?

My tactic was having unbelievable luck in the reformation war where the ottomans were fully occupied by Austria and friends. This made them bankrupt and easy pickings, even though I had to make sure the war was finished by the time the debuff wore off as they still outnumbered me 4-1.

Hopefully they are in a death spiral now as Morea, Albania and a few opms have appeared from nowhere. The only small worry is they can coalition me now even though I am half their size :/

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Lmao in my current France game I nearly got the 10 PU cheevo and then I inherited 2 of them at once :shepicide:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
So Anbennar's magic system just got a big fat overhaul and cleaning up.

It's absolutely nuts what they have gotten this game to do.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Rynoto posted:

The folks they have doing their UI work are, ironically, doing enough black magic to be considered Witch Kings. This one, the Expeditions interface in the Dwarovar, the Raj menu...

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
There's a new Sunday EU4 multiplayer on the discord if anyone wants to join. European minors only.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sri.Theo posted:

There's a new Sunday EU4 multiplayer on the discord if anyone wants to join. European minors only.

That's age discrimination.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Sri.Theo posted:

Oh the mods are organizing a game?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Torrannor posted:

That's age discrimination.

If you’re gonna read it like that there’s a much worse type of discrimination going on there

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wafflecopper posted:

If you’re gonna read it like that there’s a much worse type of discrimination going on there

I didn't know the appropriate word. Geographic discrimination? Sounds too tame to me.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Rynoto posted:

Dear Lord that’s amazing. I loathe programming UIs and admire anyone who can do a decent job.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
To add a bit more detail to our upcoming game on Sunday:

We're Mapgoons (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973361), a discord community of people who play Paradox games (and now other games, including Football Manager, Elden Ring, Total War, whatever.) The link to our discord is in that post.

We're starting a new eu4 game on 1.32 patch vanilla where we will be playing as small nations in Europe only. This won't be a huge game with dozens of players which is why we are limiting the starting area. There is a prize of cider to be raffled out when the game concludes.

It's a great game to get started playing multiplayer eu4 with because minor nation games tend to be a bit more chilled out and co-operative, at least in the beginning, and we are always on the lookout to invite new cool people to the community. We will play 7pm UTC on Sundays for 4 hours.

Hop into the discord and say hello in the sunday-eu4-7pm-utc channel to join up.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

:20bux: for (I think) everything except for Origins.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1506692542556909571?s=20&t=lsIhR7oAkWS90H-5cZ1uOg

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Are there any decent youtubers who play vanilla EU4 without ridiculous clickbait titles? I follow a couple of Anbennar content already but I'd be interested to see what vanilla looks like nowadays. I did find an interesting-looking series where the guy plays every country A to Z but the video titles are clickbait as hell which makes me not actually want to click them, a mildly amusing irony.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Ibblebibble posted:

Are there any decent youtubers who play vanilla EU4 without ridiculous clickbait titles?

Lmao, no

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ibblebibble posted:

Are there any decent youtubers who play vanilla EU4 without ridiculous clickbait titles? I follow a couple of Anbennar content already but I'd be interested to see what vanilla looks like nowadays. I did find an interesting-looking series where the guy plays every country A to Z but the video titles are clickbait as hell which makes me not actually want to click them, a mildly amusing irony.

Unfortunately, The Algorithm is a soulless god to which all who produce YouTube content must make obeisance.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
That dude is making a point of coming up with wacky amusing goals for each nation, though. Entertaining.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Groke posted:

That dude is making a point of coming up with wacky amusing goals for each nation, though. Entertaining.

Fair, I might give one of his videos to watch to see how he actually is before I judge from the titles.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Twitch is vastly better than youtube if you want to just see games with someone fun commentating, but I get that goons are all old fuckers who have Opinions about twitch.

I won't even post suggestions, you can just go to twitch, type "Europa Universalis IV," and find someone you like.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 24, 2022

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nothing wrong with, some, twitch streamers.

Ibblebibble posted:

but the video titles are clickbait as hell which makes me not actually want to click them, a mildly amusing irony.
:same:

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Florryworry streams on Twitch is the best I've seen. Ludi et Historia is the only one really doing it right now on YouTube.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Who was the Anbennar video makers?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Poil posted:

Nothing wrong with, some, twitch streamers.

As opposed to youtube, where it doesn't matter what you're watching, if you fall asleep you're waking up to Why SJews Have Cucked Thing I Like, part 4/17

Also MordredViking on twitch does regular Anbennar runs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Who was the Anbennar video makers?

I follow Poiuymew, decent game knowledge and his voice doesn't want me to tear my hair out.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The Red Hawk posts fairly basic guides that are free of the usual 4chan-style crap

Ludi et Historia drives me up the wall with his meme-y 4chan patter and ridiculous RNG-dependent strategies

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
the official paradox forums has a stickied thread reminding eu4 posters to not use "kebab" as an anti muslim slur, and it has hundreds of downvotes

finding non 4chan meme poisoned garbage humans in the eu4 community is close to impossible and that goes double for those of them that choose to become youtubers

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Randallteal posted:

This is effective, but it does add a tragic element to your campaign as you eventually turn on your trusted ally and strip bits off of them over the course of several wars with their most hated enemies, all to get a sweet cheevo when you take Constantinople.

Is there a way to make the Ottos like you, though? In all my Ethiopia games they ignored me until the borders got close, and then promptly rivaled me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Or you could watch bewaretheblobber on twitch and the most annoying thing will be he loves his doggo too much while doing incredible achievement speedruns

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

I wish there was an easy way to tell what's different between the bundles. I have quite a lot of DLC already and don't want to double buy more than necessary.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Groke posted:

I love when he relentlessly attacks old war criminals' names and facial features.

"Ol' Stalin-Balin" is hilarious, but I'm a simple person.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Sephyr posted:

Is there a way to make the Ottos like you, though? In all my Ethiopia games they ignored me until the borders got close, and then promptly rivaled me.

It's definitely possible but it's been long enough that I can't remember if there's a specific trick to it other than rivaling their rivals, allying thsir allies, improving relations and bribes.

Timing is probably really important. Exploiting the gold mines in east Africa and maybe capturing and deving the mines in Mutapa could help you build a strong enough army to capture the Ottomans' interest before they eat through the Mamluks and turn hostile. It's a bit high risk but getting an Ottoman ally makes everything easier so worth it IMO.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

This is a really good deal. I was missing the two most recent gameplay expansions and a bunch of cosmetic odds and ends and now I'm completely current for around $34. It has a 10% off coupon for Origins and then there was one new music pack released a week ago.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is “bird mana” and its ilk from 4chan?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lum_ posted:

The Red Hawk posts fairly basic guides that are free of the usual 4chan-style crap

Ludi et Historia drives me up the wall with his meme-y 4chan patter and ridiculous RNG-dependent strategies

Funnily enough Red Hawk was the one who I was talking about with the A to Z series with the clickbaity titles. I watched the first one, I don't hate his style so I guess I'll keep watching.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jay Rust posted:

Is “bird mana” and its ilk from 4chan?

it's what everyone on earth who isn't a crochety ancient goon says, practically nobody goes to loving 4chan in TYOOL 2022. My cousin turned soon to be large adult son from bumfuck altay kray Russia plays EU4 with me and talks about paper, bird, and mil mana and it's not because he's secretly lurking nazi forums.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bird mana and sword mana are funny but paper mana doesn't hit