Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's $2m out of their war chest and almost guaranteed Kenney gets dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

This is the part where we throw back our heads and laugh!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Powershift posted:

That's $2m out of their war chest and almost guaranteed Kenney gets dropped.

Why would they refund the tickets?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

pokeyman posted:

What happens to the receiving party if you do a charge back on your credit card? Are they just out the money you initially paid them, or do the credit card companies also hit you with extra fees on top of that?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Because they were purchased in bulk by major donors on other people's behalf, and they would be over the donation limits if they didn't

their statement says they'll provide how to get a refund or tax receipt so they're obviously hoping people will just donate the $100 anyways, but most of the people who would are likely already at the personal donation limit.

We'll clearly see if there's an outlier in next quarter reporting. the NDP has been consistently out-fundraising the UCP almost 2:1

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 23, 2022

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Oxyclean posted:

you know what would also save businesses? dense mixed usage zoning.

like it's really laffo that businesses live or die purely on the ability to find excuses to drag workers to a particular part of town. great society we've built.

I do feel bad for small business owners who've had their customer base kind of ripped away from the because of the pandemic but it's been two years. You look at what a lot of downtown people are saying these businesses could be open later in the evenings or pivot toward catering to people who actually live downtown. Offer them something they can use and actually access outside of office business hours.

It's such a shame, imo, that we had this opportunity to really reimagine a better society but the pull to "go back to normal" was always so strong.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

HackensackBackpack posted:

I do feel bad for small business owners who've had their customer base kind of ripped away from the because of the pandemic but it's been two years. You look at what a lot of downtown people are saying these businesses could be open later in the evenings or pivot toward catering to people who actually live downtown. Offer them something they can use and actually access outside of office business hours.
A co-worker's parents own a store in the PATH. They tried getting some other business owners together to get the PATH to stay open later and have some sort of event to draw people in and do a trial run of staying open later for downtown residents. PATH management and other shop owners basically all said "That's not the way we've done things" and "Soon everything will be back to normal anyway so it doesn't matter".

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

HackensackBackpack posted:

It's such a shame, imo, that we had this opportunity to really reimagine a better society but the pull to "go back to normal" was always so strong.

Ottawa is particularly egregious in this regard. Businesses north of Laurier basically all shut down after 5pm. It becomes a total ghost town. And even elsewhere in Centretown it’s hard to just find a tea or a snack after like 8pm.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sashimi posted:

When I lived in small cities in Japan I absolutely loved having everything I could possibly need within walking or cycling distance from my apartment. My workplaces, groceries, transit, bars and restaurants, banks, clinics, pharmacies, all at worst a 15 minute bike ride from my place. Most things were more like a 5-10 minute walk.

Sadly as we know zoning like this is impossible in North America currently, and will need a vast cultural change to get thousands of municipalities to change the way they build cities.

I saw a great video about zoning in Japan recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfm2xCKOCNk

... and one a while ago about cycling in Oulu, Finland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhx-26GfCBU

... which serve to demonstrate that better things planning/urban design is possible and the 'but winter!' excuse is exactly that.

Having said that, I mentioned a while ago that Toronto is planning a full redesign of Sheppard Ave (a mostly-suburban 4-6 lane road that has been slowly getting denser but still sucks poo poo for anyone but drivers). They also released a new report on cycling infrastructure with more promising initiatives. Meanwhile, the Toronto Sun is reporting about whiny concern trolls who want the Yonge St bike lanes removed because of poo poo like:

"The schools in the area – more than 6 in the land-locked area- were not consulted prior to the installation. Parents are scared."

See a bunch of images of gridlock with land boat SUVs and expensive sports cars that obviously would be solved if they just widened the street (and fit in street parking somehow because that's what a lot of it was before).

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 24, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eXXon posted:

The schools in the area – more than 6 in the land-locked area-

Yeah, it's a real pity they don't have access to the lake

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eXXon posted:

I saw a great video about zoning in Japan recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfm2xCKOCNk

... and one a while ago about cycling in Oulo, Finland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhx-26GfCBU

... which serve to demonstrate that better things planning/urban design is possible and the 'but winter!' excuse is exactly that.

Having said that, I mentioned a while ago that Toronto is planning a full redesign of Sheppard Ave (a mostly-suburban 4-6 lane road that has been slowly getting denser but still sucks poo poo for anyone but drivers). They also released a new report on cycling infrastructure with more promising initiatives. Meanwhile, the Toronto Sun is reporting about whiny concern trolls who want the Yonge St bike lanes removed because of poo poo like:

"The schools in the area – more than 6 in the land-locked area- were not consulted prior to the installation. Parents are scared."

See a bunch of images of gridlock with land boat SUVs and expensive sports cars that obviously would be solved if they just widened the street (and fit in street parking somehow because that's what a lot of it was before).

I just want to make sure I’ve understood you correctly: parents of these schools are upset there’s… not enough cars near where their children go to school? And angry about infrastructure that would let their children bike to school safely?

Am I having a stroke?

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

PT6A posted:

I just want to make sure I’ve understood you correctly: parents of these schools are upset there’s… not enough cars near where their children go to school? And angry about infrastructure that would let their children bike to school safely?

Am I having a stroke?

People who read the Sun are irredeemable. For some reason this seems to be true for all papers called the Sun, across a variety of countries.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

Am I having a stroke?

Car culture is a sickness.

Also, this is Toronto, you can find a group of people that would protest a puppy rescue. Generally speaking the only reason anything gets built around here is because the city ignores "concerned residents".

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Randalor posted:

What happens to the receiving party if you do a charge back on your credit card? Are they just out the money you initially paid them, or do the credit card companies also hit you with extra fees on top of that?

You're out the money and the credit card company will hit you with a fee up to $100-ish. If you get enough chargebacks they'll just completely drop you as a merchant.

Event tickets are interesting because they're most often done through a third party like EventBrite etc. So technically the chargeback would be hitting that company and not whoever's running the event directly. I assume they would pass the costs on and do the same thing as banning an account if it gets too many.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PT6A posted:

Am I having a stroke?

There's a hyper-specidic complaint about 'land-locked" streets, which I think is about how it's now either harder to turn onto Yonge St from these smaller east-west side streets because of the need to look out for pedestrians at the crosswalk, cyclists in the bike lanes and often incessant oncoming car traffic, or because the city just banned turning left from them altogether (I haven't been there in a while to see). Old people are especially mad that they can't safely navigate their 1990 Cadillacs to church on Sunday without driving a bit further to a different intersection first, which is impossible for reasons

What parents are scared of exactly, I don't know. Inattentive drivers flattening their children while trying to turn? Spandex-clad cyclists doing... something? I think those schools are mostly east of Yonge and so the cyclists would be going uphill on the right side of the street; it would take serious leg strength to push past the speed limit and even in the other direction there are too many intersections to pick up dangerous speeds easily.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 24, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think there’s some cases where right of way isn’t clear in practice with poorly designed cycle infrastructure and that’s a valid complaint. For example, on our good bike lanes in Calgary, there are separate bike signals and/or signs indicating that cars must give way to cyclists when turning. On our poorly-designed bike lanes, without separation, you can have a situation where a cyclist is on a non-separated bike lane to your right. If you’re ahead, at a four-way stop, can you safely turn right without giving way? Well, legally, I’d argue you can because the cyclist is obligated to stop at the 4-way stop just as you are, and if you get there first, then you have right of way to proceed first. In practice… can you safely assume this will happen? I would say that you can’t. It’s stupid to have 4 way stops along a bike route because four way stops are awful for bikes.

On the other hand, if you assume the cyclist is going to glide through, and they don’t, you’re loving everything up for the intersection. It’s a situation where there are no consistently safe, legal options for either a driver or a cyclist… and that comes down to poorly-designed infrastructure, not the existence of the infrastructure in the first place.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mixed-use high density zoning makes cities more money too, you'd think they'd be on board for the soulless capitalist financial aspect if nothing else. I've always disliked suburbs but that Not Bikes dude really opened my third eye to just how much I hate modern North American cities.

Even if I can find a decent place in downtown Halifax (which to be fair is like three streets and some old Victorian suburbs) there's almost no grocery stores etc. around. Never mind that my choices are either overpriced, rapidly gentrifying neighbourhoods (which feels gross to take advantage of and are still full of cars anyway) or Victorian apartments where it's like a 80-20 chance on whether they've been well maintained or not.

The city narrowed Spring Garden Road over the last year which rules but it's all fashion and restaurants surrounded by condos. Whoopdeedoo. Maybe the Cogswell Interchange redevelopment will help but from what I saw in city plans it's mostly office towers and a bus terminal.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Mixed-use high density zoning makes cities more money too, you'd think they'd be on board for the soulless capitalist financial aspect if nothing else. I've always disliked suburbs but that Not Bikes dude really opened my third eye to just how much I hate modern North American cities.
Big same, only I kind of liked the suburbs growing up, I see the appeal and kind of like the idea of having a detached home and some space.

But it's really hard to reconcile the problems of sprawl creates.

Like, people love to complain about their taxes being spent on things they don't use - but the irony of suburbanites complaining about stuff like tax money spent on bus service is the fact that suburbs end up being so much less tax efficient then anything denser.

But I have to assume it's a problem of short term thinking: There's more short term money in these big firms building new suburban developments then there is in density providing more efficiency in tax revenue per land/services.

I'm fairly happy with the part of the city I'm in, there's a decent amount of stuff in walking distance, but it definitely is not dense by any reasonable metric, and god is there just so much space wasted on parking, and it's not terribly pleasant to walk places with how big and busy roads are.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Single family housing zones are massive net drains on city finances, most cities are entirely funded through their profitable downtown properties. That crappy block of run down old turn of the century shops with a few apartments on top are paying for the 5 blocks of big-box stores around them.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Do not attempt to make sense of the driving complaints of Torontonians.

Plus it's not like we follow traffic laws anyways.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Which is fine, because nobody enforces traffic laws anyways

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Man joins freedom convoy, donates life savings to truckers, now lives out of his SUV, has a few regrets, including realizing he doesn't really have a stance on vaccination mandates:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-convoy-protest-regrets-1.6394502

'I regret going': Protester says he spent life savings to support Freedom Convoy

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

I think there’s some cases where right of way isn’t clear in practice with poorly designed cycle infrastructure and that’s a valid complaint. For example, on our good bike lanes in Calgary, there are separate bike signals and/or signs indicating that cars must give way to cyclists when turning. On our poorly-designed bike lanes, without separation, you can have a situation where a cyclist is on a non-separated bike lane to your right. If you’re ahead, at a four-way stop, can you safely turn right without giving way? Well, legally, I’d argue you can because the cyclist is obligated to stop at the 4-way stop just as you are, and if you get there first, then you have right of way to proceed first. In practice… can you safely assume this will happen? I would say that you can’t. It’s stupid to have 4 way stops along a bike route because four way stops are awful for bikes.

On the other hand, if you assume the cyclist is going to glide through, and they don’t, you’re loving everything up for the intersection. It’s a situation where there are no consistently safe, legal options for either a driver or a cyclist… and that comes down to poorly-designed infrastructure, not the existence of the infrastructure in the first place.

As a primary cyclist who has been on the roads (and side of highways) for 25 years I've found that if a vehicle is signalling they are turning right and are in front of me as I get to the intersection then I'll stop a little behind the car but make sure I can see them in their side mirror (so they can see me). Even if they dont have signals on, before I will start moving forward I always verify that the vehicle next to me is ACTUALLY going straight because I dont trust that they didnt forget to put on blinkers.

If there is any uncertainty when navigating the roads, no matter whether I'm on bike, foot, or whatever, I try to make eye contact and communicate using my arms/hands/head position so it's understood who is going and who is waiting. I wave others through all the time to ensure they know that I am not planning on moving and it's safe for them (and me) for them to proceed.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
I have definitely hosed that up a few times, both as the cyclist and the driver. It's particularly dangerous when cyclists are moving faster than traffic, because no one is really expecting you. If traffic's moving faster, then they've (hopefully) seen you when they passed you, and are cognizant that there's a cyclist nearby.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

Man joins freedom convoy, donates life savings to truckers, now lives out of his SUV, has a few regrets, including realizing he doesn't really have a stance on vaccination mandates:

'I regret going': Protester says he spent life savings to support Freedom Convoy

”Anglehart is currently living out of his SUV, as he said his landlord kicked him out over his "point of view" concerning the protest.

His “point of view” that he should give his rent money to the konvoy, right? How unfair.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I too have learned to frame all disputes as discrimination against my "unique views".

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Glimpse posted:

”Anglehart is currently living out of his SUV, as he said his landlord kicked him out over his "point of view" concerning the protest.

His “point of view” that he should give his rent money to the konvoy, right? How unfair.

I'm going to try and tell the bank that in my point of view I should spend all my money on modular synthesizers instead of paying the mortgage and if that doesn't work out for me I'll be calling the CBC.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm going to try and tell the bank that in my point of view I should spend all my money on modular synthesizers instead of paying the mortgage and if that doesn't work out for me I'll be calling the CBC.

"I'm being cancelled by Big Mortgage!"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like it's over, they're throwing Kenney under the bus. Twitter rumours that charges are coming against Kenney and Callaway

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jason-kenney-kamikaze-campaign-investigations-1.6385745

quote:

On a summer night in 2017, a wide-ranging cast of Alberta political operatives was sitting around Jeff Callaway's dining room table in northwest Calgary, eating Indian food, while the booze poured freely.

It was there they hatched the final plan for Callaway, a past president of the Wildrose Party, to enter the United Conservative Party leadership race in what would colloquially become known as the kamikaze campaign.

It had one purpose: to benefit Jason Kenney's leadership bid by damaging that of his biggest political rival, former Wildrose leader Brian Jean. Callaway was ready to be the kamikaze candidate.

According to the accounts of two people who were there, Kenney personally set key conditions of that plan and was, at a minimum, present during discussions about funding it.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/jean-accuses-kenney-camp-of-cheating-breaking-the-law-in-leadership-vote-1.5831187

quote:

Jean then said third-party money was being used to buy memberships for pro-Kenney voters and he called for an investigation by Elections Alberta.

"Throughout the past weekend we heard from organizers in certain communities that Jason Kenney was signing up thousands of members in Edmonton and Calgary who never paid for their memberships. That is unethical. But it is also a violation of Alberta law," he charged.

The budget vote is a confidence vote but i doubt UCP MLAs have the balls to bring down the clown.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
On the plus side, if our lovely defense spending causes us to get nuked to oblivion, we could probably implement some real mixed use civic planning.

Also, I think everyone underestimates the power of NIMBYism that is so embedded in our country as a deterrent for warmongers looking to overtake our sovereignty. Those folks would be first in line at the new governance office to ensure literally nothing changes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Xaranthius posted:

As a primary cyclist who has been on the roads (and side of highways) for 25 years I've found that if a vehicle is signalling they are turning right and are in front of me as I get to the intersection then I'll stop a little behind the car but make sure I can see them in their side mirror (so they can see me). Even if they dont have signals on, before I will start moving forward I always verify that the vehicle next to me is ACTUALLY going straight because I dont trust that they didnt forget to put on blinkers.

If there is any uncertainty when navigating the roads, no matter whether I'm on bike, foot, or whatever, I try to make eye contact and communicate using my arms/hands/head position so it's understood who is going and who is waiting. I wave others through all the time to ensure they know that I am not planning on moving and it's safe for them (and me) for them to proceed.

Yeah, exactly, I’d rather play it safe even if it takes an extra few seconds. My time is just not that valuable, I can take time for safety.

What I did in this case was signal and basically change lanes (with more than adequate space for the cyclist behind me) into the painted bike lane to turn right. Even if that’s not the right way to do it in Alberta, it had the least chance of anything bad or unexpected happening.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Powershift posted:

Looks like it's over, they're throwing Kenney under the bus. Twitter rumours that charges are coming against Kenney and Callaway

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jason-kenney-kamikaze-campaign-investigations-1.6385745

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/jean-accuses-kenney-camp-of-cheating-breaking-the-law-in-leadership-vote-1.5831187

The budget vote is a confidence vote but i doubt UCP MLAs have the balls to bring down the clown.

Like barely anyone showed to the vote.

So loving stupid.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
We got to be careful.

While I'm about 80% sure that Kenny's Kamikaze rise to power is real, we still don't have a smoking gun for his leadership review fraud.

Until that happens, this sounds a lot like what Trump was doing that caused Jan 6th.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

shades of eternity posted:

We got to be careful.

While I'm about 80% sure that Kenny's Kamikaze rise to power is real, we still don't have a smoking gun for his leadership review fraud.

Until that happens, this sounds a lot like what Trump was doing that caused Jan 6th.

Except the you see pee party being eaten by nonsense is actually cool and good, because they're all miserable bastards who deserve any shred of misery that visits them. It's less like Jan. 6 and more like, well, a good thing.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

InfiniteZero posted:

The kicker:

quote:

When hearing Anglehart's story, University of Ottawa law professor Joao Velloso said he was not surprised.

Velloso conducted his research on the ground in Ottawa during the entirety of the occupation. He was examining the anthropological and sociological aspect of the protest.

[...]

Velloso also points to the $300 million class-action lawsuit against protesters launched by downtown Ottawa residents and businesses.

He said it could bankrupt those named in the suit. When it comes down to all the donations, it's hard to track down where all the money went, said Velloso.

"Not all of the people that were there received the money that some organizers received," he said.
"We have no idea if there was dark money to that in the sense that other sources of funding that we don't know."

:pwn:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

PT6A posted:

Yeah, exactly, I’d rather play it safe even if it takes an extra few seconds. My time is just not that valuable, I can take time for safety.

What I did in this case was signal and basically change lanes (with more than adequate space for the cyclist behind me) into the painted bike lane to turn right. Even if that’s not the right way to do it in Alberta, it had the least chance of anything bad or unexpected happening.

Yeah unfortunate that that's not what you're intended to do apparently?
Any street with a bike lane that also has right turns should have the bike lane become a shared bike lane/right turn lane when it gets to within x meters of an intersection. If there's enough space the bike lane can even transition to the left of the right turn lane.
https://nacto.org/publication/urban-bikeway-design-guide/intersection-treatments/combined-bike-laneturn-lane/

I'm not going to blame this on Alberta because the majority of cities everywhere in NA are extremely slow in adopting well-researched designs for mixed spaces like this.
I can only assume it's because people riding bikes are evil socialists.

Let's not forget that one Washington state politician that said riding a bike is not zero-carbon because it makes you breathe really hard which is polluting.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oxyclean posted:

But I have to assume it's a problem of short term thinking: There's more short term money in these big firms building new suburban developments then there is in density providing more efficiency in tax revenue per land/services.

I mean here in Calgary it's literally corruption (though we don't call it that because we live in Western Civilization); the city historically didn't charge developers the cost of putting in infrastructure like roads and sewers and such, which meant that low density detached buildings were by far the most profitable thing to build. You could charge a lot for them since the culture says suburban homes are good, but all the buildings are dirt cheap to build, requiring none of the specialized labour and project coordination costs inherent in building denser housing. Sure the city administration calls foul and recommends not building more suburbs, or at least increasing development fees to match what it costs to put in and maintain the infrastructure, but the developers bribesend donations to elected officials until it happens anyway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Here we play the world’s smallest violin for Jason Kenney, a good lad who means well and finds himself, through no fault of his own, surrounded by lunatics. Ah, such pity in my heart. How could such a thing have happened?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kenney-recording-ucp-alberta-leadership-review-staff-1.6396647

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fidelitious posted:

Yeah unfortunate that that's not what you're intended to do apparently?
Any street with a bike lane that also has right turns should have the bike lane become a shared bike lane/right turn lane when it gets to within x meters of an intersection. If there's enough space the bike lane can even transition to the left of the right turn lane.
https://nacto.org/publication/urban-bikeway-design-guide/intersection-treatments/combined-bike-laneturn-lane/

This is what Nacto tells you to do but it is in fact a terrible lifehack to avoid putting into proper separate signaling for your bike lanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/1507509610223128577