Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
So, trying a new recipe: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sandwich-rye-bread-recipe, and looking for some troubleshooting opinions.

I didn't get much of a rise on the first or second rise in the recipe- The dough never cleared the top of my 9*4 pullman pan. I used the exact weights and went with the high end of the water range suggested (7/8 cup) since it's still pretty cool and dry here, and also used pumpernickle and potato flour for the non bread flour portions, and waited a full 2 hours for each rise.

Taste wise, this recipe is awesome. Easily the most enjoyably flavored rye loaf I've ever tasted and I'd highly suggested it.

Is this pretty much a case of more time spent kneading and a bit less liquid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
What's the temperature? You might want to rise it in a warmer spot.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Probably about 68-70f for the first rise. For the second one I boiled a cup of water in the microwave and put it in there.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Have you tried putting it into your oven, with the light on? That's what I use for all of my rises, and it works great. Probably gets up to 80 or 85 Fahrenheit.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I haven't generally tried the oven light method. Figure that's better than on the counter in direct sunlight?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

null_pointer posted:

Have you tried putting it into your oven, with the light on?... Probably gets up to 80 or 85 Fahrenheit.

That's a bright light!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Gwaihir posted:

I haven't generally tried the oven light method. Figure that's better than on the counter in direct sunlight?

Assuming your oven has an incandescent bulb, absolutely! It's a great spot. Stable temperature, warm, no drafts, etc.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm particularly lost on how much time you were running the mixer for a recipe that was no-knead.

Uhhhhhhh. Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. I just started using the mixer to mix instead of my hands to mix, and decided a while ago 'I should use the dough hook too', and then completely forgot that Flour Water Salt Yeast recipes are no-knead.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Flour water salt yeast are just bread ingredients. Those can make kneaded or no-knead doughs. No-knead recipes just use more water and much longer rest/rise times, since you get some small amount of gluten formation over time in wet enough dough.

e: whoops my bad

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 25, 2022

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Flour water salt yeast are just bread ingredients. Those can make kneaded or no-knead doughs. No-knead recipes just use more water and much longer rest/rise times, since you get some small amount of gluten formation over time in wet enough dough.

They're talking about recipes from Ken Forkish's book

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

FYI

https://www.amazon.com/Flour-Water-...oks%2C86&sr=1-3

It gets a lot of mention in this thread because it's a good gateway to really good bread that has consistent results and is low effort.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

effika posted:

Assuming your oven has an incandescent bulb, absolutely! It's a great spot. Stable temperature, warm, no drafts, etc.

Round two, I turned the oven on for 2-3 minutes then killed it and left the light on. WAY WAY better than first batch.

I wanna slice in to these so bad right now lol. Forcing myself to wait for them to cool though.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Gwaihir posted:

Round two, I turned the oven on for 2-3 minutes then killed it and left the light on. WAY WAY better than first batch.

Eeeeexcellent. No need to even turn on the oven -- when you first walk into the kitchen on a day you know you're going to be baking, just turn on the light and leave it on. By the time you need it, it will be at a perfect temperature.

In other news, still doing decent with that Crusty White Loaf (500g bread flour, 350ml water, 11g salt, 9g diastatic malt powder, 1.5tsp yeast) where I sub out 175ml of water with Octoberfest (half of a 12 ounce bottle) to get some more flavor. I love taking it out of the oven and hearing it just sing as it cools. Took a video, but it's out-of-focus and there's some awful buzzing for some reason :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gI0hsJAYTE

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

null_pointer posted:

Eeeeexcellent. No need to even turn on the oven -- when you first walk into the kitchen on a day you know you're going to be baking, just turn on the light and leave it on. By the time you need it, it will be at a perfect temperature.

Ya'll keep saying that but my oven will turn off the light after 2 minutes.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You guys have a light?

Seriously, I don't have a light. My apartment's oven is old and lovely and electric and terrible. The elements are not level and all the pots and pans tilt to the side when you set them on them. The oven's got hotspots,a nd the lowest I can turn the oven to is like 95 degrees, but the actual temperature spikes up to 150 or so before the element turns off.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
You could probably find a small table lamp and put an incandescent bulb in it and stick that in the oven if all you want to do is proof bread.

Just, you know, take it out when your done. It’s hardly an insurmountable and cost prohibitive problem.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Does anyone have a good resource on bulk ferment time and temp vs. cold ferment time and temp and what parameters affect what properties?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You need type of yeast in there and salt ammount too. The pizza forums, offsite, have very in depth stuff that is probably not any more useful than a few experiments.

I believe I read somewhere yeast activity doubles every 10*f with 110 being death and deminishing returns right before that.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 10, 2022

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You may want to check out bread science by Emily Buehler tho

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Adapted the Bon Appetit sour cream and chive rolls to these sesame seed ones for Easter (my in laws wanted a less savoury version to put jam on)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just my regular family rye bread recipe
https://i.imgur.com/1Gfx1B4.mp4

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just my regular family rye bread recipe
https://i.imgur.com/1Gfx1B4.mp4

Nice.

Is that the Ankarsrum assistent?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah except this one's an Electrolux, made before it was acquired by Ankarsrum, 1980s model.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dacap posted:

Adapted the Bon Appetit sour cream and chive rolls to these sesame seed ones for Easter (my in laws wanted a less savoury version to put jam on)

:gizz:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Is that how you glaze yours?

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Yeah except this one's an Electrolux, made before it was acquired by Ankarsrum, 1980s model.

Nice. Pretty sure my parents had one of those beasts when I grew up but it's likely been discarded since they moved internationally a few times since. Awesome that it's still running so well after ~40 years.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I made a yogurt honey bread and it made good toast. That is my bread story.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Baked this 50% Khorasan sourdough this morning

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'd buy the bread book with that on the cover.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have a birthday just past and an anniversary coming up, and I haven't been able to think of a big present I wanted for awhile. I have two sizes of Kitchenaid mixer, a tilt-head and a bowl-lift, one dating to the 80s and the other, I think, to the 90s. Both are still doing their thing fine. I think they're 2-qt and 5-qt, but I haven't measured them.

Do I want one of the European ones? I do a fair bit of baking, or would once the kitchen is unpacked, and I think it might be a QOL thing. I generally start the kneading in the mixer and finish by hand; I want to feel my hands in the dough. I am working on lax overnight-rise breads, but I'm not to the level where I make multiple cascading mothers before the loaf. I'm not interested in buying a gadget for the sake of gadgetry; I already own too many. See: two mixers. But if the newer models are going to more efficiently scrape the bowl, or be easier to clean, I'm all ears.

Also, does this bread look trustworthy? https://www.karenskitchenstories.com/2014/03/white-bread-with-poolish.html

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Dacap posted:

Baked this 50% Khorasan sourdough this morning

Excellent

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have a birthday just past and an anniversary coming up, and I haven't been able to think of a big present I wanted for awhile. I have two sizes of Kitchenaid mixer, a tilt-head and a bowl-lift, one dating to the 80s and the other, I think, to the 90s. Both are still doing their thing fine. I think they're 2-qt and 5-qt, but I haven't measured them.

Do I want one of the European ones? I do a fair bit of baking, or would once the kitchen is unpacked, and I think it might be a QOL thing. I generally start the kneading in the mixer and finish by hand; I want to feel my hands in the dough. I am working on lax overnight-rise breads, but I'm not to the level where I make multiple cascading mothers before the loaf. I'm not interested in buying a gadget for the sake of gadgetry; I already own too many. See: two mixers. But if the newer models are going to more efficiently scrape the bowl, or be easier to clean, I'm all ears.

Also, does this bread look trustworthy? https://www.karenskitchenstories.com/2014/03/white-bread-with-poolish.html

On the mixer-- if you have space and money and can't think what else you'd spend it on, sure. I don't have one but they seem nice, and if I ever get space and money for it I would probably get one just for ease of use.

For the recipe, sure. It's out of Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast (which they do acknowledge!) and that's a great source. Should give you a nice bread.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Anyone have experience making cinnamon rolls? Whenever I make them, the dough is always extremely sticky and difficult to handle whether I add too much or too little flour. It practically falls between my fingers when I attempt to move it, I just can't seem to figure out how to wrangle it.

Does anyone have an especially good recipe or explainer for the what and how of cinnamon rolls? The recipes all have extremely vague or impossible qualifiers for when the dough is ready ("when the dough pulls away from the side", "when the dough is soft but not sticky")

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

effika posted:

On the mixer-- if you have space and money and can't think what else you'd spend it on, sure. I don't have one but they seem nice, and if I ever get space and money for it I would probably get one just for ease of use.
Which one?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I make the white bread with polish from flour water salt yeast a lot and it's great. That recipe can also make a good focaccia, which I started doing around Thanksgiving, and god drat, foccacia is great.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

If I could, I'd get an Ankarsum. That is a very good mixer for bread dough. People use KitchenAids for bread dough but they're not really built to handle it - these are better for that. A KitchenAid will do a lot, though, so it might be a good investment if you do other baking.

I guess if money or space wasn't an object at all I'd get a smaller Hobart commercial unit. :homebrew:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

effika posted:

If I could, I'd get an Ankarsum. That is a very good mixer for bread dough. People use KitchenAids for bread dough but they're not really built to handle it - these are better for that. A KitchenAid will do a lot, though, so it might be a good investment if you do other baking.

I guess if money or space wasn't an object at all I'd get a smaller Hobart commercial unit. :homebrew:

I have the Ankarsrum predecessor but I also have a Kenwood Major. My mom has the Kenwood predecessor from the 70s, both are great at kneading dough, made for it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Allow me to, again, recommend the Varimixer Teddy. Between my brothers and my old man we now own four.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I have the Ankarsrum predecessor but I also have a Kenwood Major. My mom has the Kenwood predecessor from the 70s, both are great at kneading dough, made for it.

A friend has a beloved Kenwood Major; they were sold a few years back and are now made in China. There are Chinese products with excellent quality control, but it's not the way I'd bet.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My Kenwood was bought in 2007 or 2008. Not sure if they where China made yet then. The 70s model my mom has was definitely made in europe, likely the UK.

Anyway found the hobart, 350€, looks like a milling machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oh! If I'm looking at that right, there was one of those at the old bowling alley I worked at a long while back. The owner was pretty serious about having decent food, so we had actually good, made-from-scratch pizza and huge wings and the like. But the thing I remember about that particular Hobart was that the main gearbox was broken, and if you tried to shift gears when the thing was in any sort of motion at all, then the whole shaft that held the auger in place would drop out, bearing and all, into whatever was below it. Lost a few 50lb batches of dough that way. It could've been repaired easily enough, but the owner was also a cheapskate, and instead of calling a repair technician for his 3rd-hand mixer, he had his mechanics go fix it. Of course, we only worked 1-per-shift, so if there was a ball jam or something else at the other end of the alley, then welp, best sprint back there and get that sorted. Your pizza will have to wait a minute.

Other than that issue though, the thing was a beast of a machine. $350 is not terrible, if it's in good working order.