Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

throw in some whale fur from lynch dune I'm in

edit:

I talk about this a lot apparently

edit 2: also poop

The Voice is just hooting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My brain went here

I enjoyed this series but it was decades ago and I'm not sure how it holds up.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Hyperion is amazing. More literary than Dune but probably equally good world building. Also centred (but not entirely set) on a single world, much like dune is.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hyperion sequels suck, unlike Dune

First book doesn't have an ending

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The second Hyperion book is the conclusion to the first book, they’re supposed to be read as a pair. I enjoyed the Endymion sequels but I was young and dumb and agree they should probably be skipped.

Hyperion is a tour through various styles and genres of SF (space opera, cyberpunk, some Lem, some Vance, etc) told in the style of Canterbury Tales. It’s good. I think about things from it (farcasters, the fatline, the technocore) all the time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Simmons’ book “The Terror” is alright but the first season of the TV show based on it is amazing. 2nd season was pretty much unrelated and just bad.

Jared Harris is the king of prestige TV miniseries!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

still pissed they didn't get him back for the expanse

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

StashAugustine posted:

still pissed they didn't get him back for the expanse

:agreed:, had to just kill him off off camera :sigh:

He sold the hell out of the Belter creole too, actually sounded good coming from him.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Grei Skuring posted:

That's it! Thanks to all of you for your tips, regardless. Both sound good (or readable, anyways).

Book of the New Sun is insanely superior to Dune

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I haven’t read it, can you give a sales pitch?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jewmanji posted:

Failed professional torturer lies/kills/eats his way to planetary hegemony

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jewmanji posted:

Young man who claims he remembers every single moment of his life is an apprentice for The Order of the Seekers for Truth and Penitence, and is faced with a moral dilemma that will change his life. He is sent on a quest. Along the way, he will meet interesting people, and destroy most of their lives. He is also, seemingly telling you this story, and omitting things, changing things around, jumping around the narrative with seemingly no reason. What is he hiding? What doesn't he remember? And why do these myths he says sound so weirdly familiar?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That sounds dope, thank you

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Ugh I've been meaning to read book of the new sun for ages. It sounds really good

it was billed to me as "the Dark Souls of science fiction" in the sense that you have to read between the lines and figure out what's really going on, and for better or worse I'm legally bound to consume any content described as the "dark souls of x"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don't read any synopsis or anything. Just start raw, scratch your head when you need to, but keep trucking. Re-read, if necessary. That's good advice for any Gene Wolfe book.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

kiimo posted:

throw in some whale fur from lynch dune I'm in

edit:

I talk about this a lot apparently

edit 2: also poop

There seems a theme with Dune adaptations of using the sandworms as an obvious fashion motif for at least one character and I am really all for it.

Actually in both cases, the character who does so is a direct ancestor of Leto II...

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fiction needs more cavernous holes

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ElGroucho posted:

Fiction needs more cavernous holes

You're just consuming the wrong media

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If anyone is interested, mellonbread is doing a write up of the very fun Dune board game in the Fatal & Friends thread. (It's the revised Gale Force 9 version, which I haven't played, not the original Avalon Hill version, but I understand the changes were pretty minimal and for the better.)

Not sure how to link to a post in "someone's posts in a thread" list, so scroll to near the bottom of this and you'll find the posts:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&userid=222188&perpage=40&pagenumber=7

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kalel posted:

Ugh I've been meaning to read book of the new sun for ages. It sounds really good

it was billed to me as "the Dark Souls of science fiction" in the sense that you have to read between the lines and figure out what's really going on, and for better or worse I'm legally bound to consume any content described as the "dark souls of x"

it's one of the better 'the dark souls of' comparisons, lots of implication, rich texture, sudden unexplained weirdness that sort of makes sense if you think about it.

personally i really fell off wolfe's stuff he wrote after 1990 or so, but i dont' think that's a common opinion.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Ulf posted:

The second Hyperion book is the conclusion to the first book, they’re supposed to be read as a pair. I enjoyed the Endymion sequels but I was young and dumb and agree they should probably be skipped.

Hyperion is a tour through various styles and genres of SF (space opera, cyberpunk, some Lem, some Vance, etc) told in the style of Canterbury Tales. It’s good. I think about things from it (farcasters, the fatline, the technocore) all the time.

Pretty much agree with all of this. The first Hyperion is amazing and a great piece of art. The second is a nice ending to a big sci-fi epic. After that just skip the next two, they're kind of 'meh', but if you really want to read them go ahead. The Illiad books are..... not my kind of book. Honestly, I think they're just awful. There's a bunch of weird poo poo that you can tell is Simmons id seeping into the books and it's hard to believe that this is the same guy who wrote Hyperion because the writing is so much worse. Also, Simmons is one of those people whose brain broke after September 11th so there's that too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Admiralty Flag posted:

If anyone is interested, mellonbread is doing a write up of the very fun Dune board game in the Fatal & Friends thread. (It's the revised Gale Force 9 version, which I haven't played, not the original Avalon Hill version, but I understand the changes were pretty minimal and for the better.)

they most certainly WERE NOT :colbert:

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

sebmojo posted:

personally i really fell off wolfe's stuff he wrote after 1990 or so, but i dont' think that's a common opinion.

I agree. Sometime around the "Soldier of" series my enjoyment of his works fell off a cliff but even a decade after I first read it I'll sometimes get an urge to go through Book of the New Sun again.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Not sure how to link to a post in "someone's posts in a thread" list, so scroll to near the bottom of this and you'll find the posts:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&userid=222188&perpage=40&pagenumber=7

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&pagenumber=457&perpage=40&userid=0#post522323271

This link might work better for mobile app users

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Admiralty Flag posted:

"favorite board game and a masterpiece of asymmetrical design" is quite high praise indeed. I really haven't liked any asymmetrical board game I've played

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/16/movies/dune-denis-villeneuve-sound.html

Article on DUNC's sound design.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

Imagine a book written a bunch of hidden gems like this that go unrecognized by the narrator:

quote:

The picture he was cleaning showed an armored figure standing in a desolate landscape. It had no weapon, but held a staff bearing a strange, stiff banner. The visor of this figure's helmet was entirely of gold, without eye slits or ventilation; in its polished surface the deathly desert could be seen in reflection, and nothing more. This warrior of a dead world affected me deeply, though I could not say why or even just what emotion it was I felt

Try to imagine that scene before clicking on the spoiler. What did you picture?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
There's not enough beefswellings and AHHHHH-H-H-H-HHHH-H-H in Book of the New Sun.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yadoppsi posted:

Imagine a book written a bunch of hidden gems like this that go unrecognized by the narrator:

Try to imagine that scene before clicking on the spoiler. What did you picture?

He's not holding a staff, that's cheating

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Maybe the narrator didn't remeber it exaclty right. :smug:

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Ithle01 posted:

Pretty much agree with all of this. The first Hyperion is amazing and a great piece of art. The second is a nice ending to a big sci-fi epic. After that just skip the next two, they're kind of 'meh', but if you really want to read them go ahead. The Illiad books are..... not my kind of book. Honestly, I think they're just awful. There's a bunch of weird poo poo that you can tell is Simmons id seeping into the books and it's hard to believe that this is the same guy who wrote Hyperion because the writing is so much worse. Also, Simmons is one of those people whose brain broke after September 11th so there's that too.

The Endymion's approach to high-speed space travel sure was unique though :gibs:

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Ithle01 posted:

I have a hard time getting into Hyperion, because I saw a YT video about 'the Shrike' and it sounded like the worst kind of edgelord bullshit.

'Oooh, it's got spikes on it's spikes, and even more spikes, and burning red eyes and just grabs you for no reason to put you on a fantasy tree of pain forever'.

How does that play out in the books?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Cheap Trick posted:

The Endymion's approach to high-speed space travel sure was unique though :gibs:

Simmons had some really cool ideas for sure. The priest's story is probably my least favorite from Hyperion, but it does seem like it sets up a lot of the future.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

There's not enough beefswellings and AHHHHH-H-H-H-HHHH-H-H in Book of the New Sun.

i just finished rereading Shadow and there is a lot of beefswelling

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

He's not holding a staff, that's cheating

Hmmmm, weird that he didn't remember that correctly *wink wink*

Or did he 🤔

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

kalel posted:

"favorite board game and a masterpiece of asymmetrical design" is quite high praise indeed. I really haven't liked any asymmetrical board game I've played

Dune isn't my favorite board game; Cosmic Encounter is.* But Dune was created by some of the same guys, and CE is a game where asymmetry is built into the game experience at a fundamental level -- each player gets a power (or more, possibly hidden until used, both depending on how crazy you're getting) that literally breaks the rules of the game. Some powers are subtle, some overwhelming, but all can be useful.

The creators of Dune took their lessons from creating CE forward when they built Dune. It's really breathtaking how tight gameplay is and how well-balanced the factions are once you figure them out. (Aside from the old rulebook: "There's nothing so pitiful as a Harkonnen on CHOAM charity.") It's been at least a decade since I've played but I remember the Bene Gesserit being the only underpowered faction, and that because their special win condition require real- life prescience.

(* Cosmic Encounter, especially when played in its wilder variants, is a much worse boardgame but is a top-notch experience generator. I can barely remember playing many better games but there are many rounds of CE I'll never forget because of the drama and the reversals of fortune -- or outright sneaky play -- that went along with them. But it's not a fair and balanced boardgame like Dune.)

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

they most certainly WERE NOT :colbert:
You should go into mellonbread's thread when he's done and discuss the changes between versions. I haven't played GF9's version so I don't know what they are (except as he mentions them) or whether they improve the game (tbh, 15 -> 10 turns sounds like an improvement).

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 24, 2022

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

thoughts and prayers posted:

I have a hard time getting into Hyperion, because I saw a YT video about 'the Shrike' and it sounded like the worst kind of edgelord bullshit.

'Oooh, it's got spikes on it's spikes, and even more spikes, and burning red eyes and just grabs you for no reason to put you on a fantasy tree of pain forever'.

How does that play out in the books?

The shrike was one of the least compelling parts for me, but at the same time it's largely a background presence. It's worth pressing through for the rest of the stories as many of them are quite unrelated.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Actually wrt New Sun and Dune its kinda funny that the two movie directors I associate with the style of New Sun are Lynch and Villenueve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Admiralty Flag posted:

You should go into mellonbread's thread when he's done and discuss the changes between versions. I haven't played GF9's version so I don't know what they are (except as he mentions them) or whether they improve the game (tbh, 15 -> 10 turns sounds like an improvement).

Short answer, AH benefits from a history of people who've discussed the nunaces of complex rules and their possible intersections in Q&A format for clarity. GF9 adds some house rules that were already on the table as options in the Advanced Ruleset, but with relatively little clarification on the details in general and a few glaring fanfic style changes that don't stand up to scrutiny (thopter hijacking lol)

15 -> 10 turns was already how I played with the AH version, I don't see it as some big innovation.

Tournament rules is still the way. I'm glad more people have access to the game now, but GF9 took significant liberties imo, and their art is ugly as sin.