Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Somewhere Stanley Donwood is laughing at us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Foster posted:

I got the TKOL special edition and it's fun as an art idea (no big box set, just a newspaper that is intentionally supposed to get ripped, brown and eventually rot to nothing) but not great as, y'know, an expensive special edition. Materialistically speaking.

I didn't pick up OKNOTOK, but kinda wish I did in hindsight, since once the HttT one comes out (if it comes out - I hope it'll come out) I'll have all the special editions (they'll never do one for Pablo Honey or The Bends)

I missed out on OKNOTOK special edition and In Rainbows special edition, sadly. I do have AMSP special edition with the tape band though!

Also, The Smile live on Instagram right now. Thom on bass.

Never mind, it ended right as I posted this.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Did y'all get shipping notifications?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Strangely mine arrived a couple days before I even got any shipping notifications.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Nope, no notification, just showed up.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Mine showed up two days before the shipping notification email

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
very radiohead tbh; they do stuff on their own time and never when you expect it and it ends up being a pleasant surprise regardless

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/thesmiletheband/status/1486732661464780806

New Smile song. This album needs to come out like yesterday.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The guitar syncing with the vocals gives me a very King Gizzard vibe.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
That one was one of my favourites from the Glastonbury stream and I like what they did with it in the studio. The brass section reminds me of King of Limbs.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think I read in an interview with Jonny that the album was close to finished and they were just choosing what songs to actually put on it. If they have songs that are left off the album I really hope that they release them as bonus tracks like In Rainbows did rather than shelving them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
A bit disappointed by the box set. The artwork is all great and it’s nice to have it big, but it kinda just feels like a huge version of the original kid a special edition cd, with none of the greatness of the amnesiac special edition cd. But it’s fine.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SUNKOS posted:

I think I read in an interview with Jonny that the album was close to finished and they were just choosing what songs to actually put on it. If they have songs that are left off the album I really hope that they release them as bonus tracks like In Rainbows did rather than shelving them.

If it's still a little way out I hope we at least get a track we haven't already heard next.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Like that a lot more than the first one, which felt a bit too Strokes-y for my taste. All right, I'm in.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I like the new song a lot too, it's very different. The first one has grown on me more in the meantime.

On a seperate note is Thom okay? He looks a bit rougher than usual.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
he’s got the thomicron

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Automata 10 Pack posted:

he’s got the thomicron

Holy poo poo

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
One day I will enjoy a thom yorke side project. Unfortunately today still isn’t that day. I just don’t know what it is but this song just feels anemic to me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That 3rd record of kid amnesia is really good

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BigFactory posted:

That 3rd record of kid amnesia is really good

Yeah, actually really is. Some of it is maybe a bit throwaway, maybe (looking at u Follow Me Around lol), but I like the alternate versions of songs

The How to Disappear strings at the end made me spontaneously burst into tears

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, actually really is. Some of it is maybe a bit throwaway, maybe (looking at u Follow Me Around lol), but I like the alternate versions of songs

The How to Disappear strings at the end made me spontaneously burst into tears

It is an interesting way to present alternate takes instead of just “Like spinning plates take 4”. I wish there was another lp with all the b-sides, but I do like how they put this one together.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This Smile show is loving great

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kull the Conqueror posted:

This Smile show is loving great
Yeah it was! I just finished watching. Some notes about the songs that weren't the singles:

Speech Bubbles - harp! Jonny impressing the hell out of me by playing one hand on harp and one on piano

Thin Thing - just loving slaps

Open the Floodgates - really pretty guitar

Free in the Knowledge - that recent Thom solo performance of this sounded cool but it sounds even cooler with the full band. Its outro blends into A Hairdryer's intro.

A Hairdryer - Jonny on bowed bass in intro. I've seen a handful of people play bowed guitar but I don't think I've ever seen bowed bass before. Thom's vocals get a little wild.

Waving a White Flag - has synth parts that sound decades old

We Don't Know What Tomorrow Brings - just loving slaps

Skating on the Surface - sounds the most like a Radiohead track, probably because it was originally performed by Radiohead

The Same - reminds me a lot of an Atoms for Peace track

The Opposite - the most math-rocky sounding of the bunch

Just Eyes and Mouth - reminds me a lot of the post-rock/math-rock band Maserati

With the singles, they probably played 14 songs total. That's a good amount for an album!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah that was great. So glad I was able to go to the first one, and that it was in such an intimate venue. I'll have to process and watch back through the stream tomorrow. Because of the round stage I was looking at the back of Thom's head most of the time so it'll be nice to see all the angles :v:.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Kid A mnesia Exhibition on Epic is amazing. I can't believe it's taken me this long to give it a go

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

BigFactory posted:

A bit disappointed by the box set. The artwork is all great and it’s nice to have it big, but it kinda just feels like a huge version of the original kid a special edition cd, with none of the greatness of the amnesiac special edition cd. But it’s fine.

Ya know, they kept talking about how they have so much material from these sessions. When the B-sides were released I thought maybe they meant artwork the whole time. But it seems most of the artwork has seen the light of day already as well.

Still, the book of scarrry is a nice package overall. I appreciated that they included extra sleeves too since the ones the records came in were slightly damaged from shipping. And the 3rd disc is put together really well.

On a side note, has anyone noticed distortion on the Kid A disc? Seeing a lot of people mention it on discogs. I haven't played through mine yet to check.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Ya know, they kept talking about how they have so much material from these sessions. When the B-sides were released I thought maybe they meant artwork the whole time. But it seems most of the artwork has seen the light of day already as well.

Still, the book of scarrry is a nice package overall. I appreciated that they included extra sleeves too since the ones the records came in were slightly damaged from shipping. And the 3rd disc is put together really well.

On a side note, has anyone noticed distortion on the Kid A disc? Seeing a lot of people mention it on discogs. I haven't played through mine yet to check.

Mine skips on treefingers. Gotta break out the magnifying glass and look to see if there’s something in the groove

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Mine skips on treefingers. Gotta break out the magnifying glass and look to see if there’s something in the groove

FWIW, sounds like if you contact Waste they are shipping replacement Kid As.
Gotta check soon myself before they run out.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Puppy Galaxy posted:

FWIW, sounds like if you contact Waste they are shipping replacement Kid As.
Gotta check soon myself before they run out.

I probably should. Paid enough for the thing. I’ll listen again but I didn’t notice distortion. Both albums sound great.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Damnit I'm gonna have to get my turntable unpacked and set up to test mine too.

Is it just Kid A having issues?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watching this Smile live show again before the timer expires. I seriously need studio versions of these songs. I could listen to the creepy as hell Free in the Knowledge intro/outro all day long. And Thin Thing, loving hell!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Smile just announced a full Europe tour starting in May, so presumably the album's not far off. :toot:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Recently got a PS5 and I'm going through the KID A MNESIA virtual exhibit now. It's really cool! Lots of old Radiohead artwork and what I'm assuming are sketches of Stanley Donwood's. There are several rooms with neat visual displays, too. It's free, so definitely worth checking out if you've got a PS5. Less focused on the music than I was expecting but still worth seeing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Recently got a PS5 and I'm going through the KID A MNESIA virtual exhibit now. It's really cool! Lots of old Radiohead artwork and what I'm assuming are sketches of Stanley Donwood's. There are several rooms with neat visual displays, too. It's free, so definitely worth checking out if you've got a PS5. Less focused on the music than I was expecting but still worth seeing.

Yeah it's amazing.

I got really emotional, I used to inhabit Kid A/Amnesia for a year or so back in the day, so it was really crazy to have the same experience in a virtual environment - that feeling literalised.

It also made me really grok the gap between then and now, and from what's in there it feels like Thom and Stanley do too

A very fond remembrance of a very particular time

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Framboise posted:

Damnit I'm gonna have to get my turntable unpacked and set up to test mine too.

Is it just Kid A having issues?

That’s been the majority of the complaints.
Mine seems ok, I didn’t hear much distortion towards the end, but there is some noticeable wow/flutter on some of the songs near the center. Figured I’d roll the dice and try and get it replaced while I can.

Also, the big Richard scarry book is kind of warping - probably not affecting the records, but I ended up removing them and placing them in a protective sleeve anyway, because I can’t store the drat thing upright :argh:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah it's amazing.

I got really emotional, I used to inhabit Kid A/Amnesia for a year or so back in the day, so it was really crazy to have the same experience in a virtual environment - that feeling literalised.

It also made me really grok the gap between then and now, and from what's in there it feels like Thom and Stanley do too

A very fond remembrance of a very particular time

I love when people come over and I hand them headphones and the controller and let em rip. Never fails to see their (sober) brains explode at the 3 song crescendo in the middle of the world.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

Skating on the Surface - sounds the most like a Radiohead track, probably because it was originally performed by Radiohead

I'm pretty sure it was originally a "Thom moaning over a piano" solo track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmhgbVnqnqo

Which I love.

I am not a fan of the new version. The "Dull eyes trying to pull you through the ice, Being drawn to the ledge" part lacks the same emotional gut punch that the original had (for me at least).

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 11, 2022

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheAbortionator posted:

I'm pretty sure it was originally a "Thom moaning over a piano" solo track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmhgbVnqnqo

Which I love.

I am not a fan of the new version. The "Dull eyes trying to pull you through the ice, Being drawn to the ledge" part lacks the same emotional gut punch that the original had (for me at least).
You're totally right!

Here's the video for The Smile's version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nmutqhuWFE

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/thesmiletheband/status/1506681727342850055

Might be interesting for anyone who has access and can listen? Thom & Jonny apparently talking about The Smile and Radiohead.

Interesting in the clip is hearing them talk about how they struggled a lot with Decks Dark and wanted to do it again until they heard it outside the album and used in some TV show (I have no idea what show) which made them appreciate it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

Interesting in the clip is hearing them talk about how they struggled a lot with Decks Dark and wanted to do it again until they heard it outside the album and used in some TV show (I have no idea what show) which made them appreciate it more.
They're talking about Ozark, which is Jason Bateman's show and used Decks Dark in the first episode