Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Also who even knows if there's a demand for bridge replacement materials in this country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

that's wild. sounds expensive tho. much cheaper to just have no serious manufacturing capacity and outsource it all

Not sure about cheaper but definitely more profitable.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

perhaps the impetus to build a steel plant with the capacity to build a big bridge is in fact the point of Buy American

Just need to find a generous titan of industry willing to pay for a massive steel fabrication facility for reasons of patriotism.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
or you could simply pass a federal law stating that they are just required to use american steel in the project and let the construction companies figure that one out before the project goes to public bidding

of course that would require the government who's letting the project to disallow bids from being exempt from this law in the first place when they whine about it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

perhaps the impetus to build a steel plant with the capacity to build a big bridge is in fact the point of Buy American

If that's the case than the Buy American program is an abject failure because it has not been able to incentivize the private sector into investing in such plants.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

or you could simply pass a federal law stating that they are just required to use american steel in the project and let the construction companies figure that one out before the project goes to public bidding

of course that would require the government who's letting the project to disallow bids from being exempt from this law in the first place when they whine about it

gov't: haha... heyyyy... private enterprise... just letting you know you've got a captive audience for your steel now if you make it in America... just letting you know... they have to buy it from you :)

capitalism: don't care

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/When-dinner-at-a-friend-s-house-goes-terribly-16995883.php

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CPColin posted:

Also who even knows if there's a demand for bridge replacement materials in this country?
Yeah exactly. How often do you replace a bridge!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah exactly. How often do you replace a bridge!

In this country? Never.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I say we just use them until they wear out.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's going to be cool when every river canyon in the state has a bunch of crumbling wreckage at the bottom. On the bright side maybe the venerable profession of river ferryman will come back. It's job creation. God bless the free market.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Larry Parrish posted:

It's going to be cool when every river canyon in the state has a bunch of crumbling wreckage at the bottom. On the bright side maybe the venerable profession of river ferryman will come back. It's job creation. God bless the free market.

lol you think there will be water in california in the future

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol you think there will be water in california in the future

the Sierra spring water isn't going anywhere and i will paint the blackberry ink over my face and repel all of the plainsmen with tenacity and bravery

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Larry Parrish posted:

the Sierra spring water isn't going anywhere and i will paint the blackberry ink over my face and repel all of the plainsmen with tenacity and bravery

I'll repel all the posters with my shitposts.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/KPIXtv/status/1504497558026129409

Potentially more gavinbux on the way. Surprisingly at least right now it's not even really means tested: if you paid taxes you'll get $400 regardless of your income or if you even own a car.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
But you're not going to means test if people have a car or not???

I'm happy that the Dems are actually willing to lean into "just give people money" as a political tactic.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 17, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I haven't bought gasoline in a decade, but I hate to violate the spirit of a free giveaway. If that passes I'm gonna buy 80 gallons of gasoline! I'll just have to pour it all down the drain but it'll be nice to feel like a regular American for once.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol. Give me money please. I just got my IRS letter letting me know I can get a $1400 stimulus when I file so I'm gonna go buckwild. Or you know, probably drop it all into my car payment and forget.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

gov't: haha... heyyyy... private enterprise... just letting you know you've got a captive audience for your steel now if you make it in America... just letting you know... they have to buy it from you :)

capitalism: don't care

Capitalism: There are apes to be minted!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Larry Parrish posted:

Lol. Give me money please. I just got my IRS letter letting me know I can get a $1400 stimulus when I file so I'm gonna go buckwild. Or you know, probably drop it all into my car payment and forget.
i'm going to be doing the same. my previous employer just hosed me out of several thousands of dollars that was supposed to be 3 years of christmas bonuses; oh and also they still haven't paid out vacation days.

never work for small biz baby bombers. absolute dregs of society.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

i'm going to be doing the same. my previous employer just hosed me out of several thousands of dollars that was supposed to be 3 years of christmas bonuses; oh and also they still haven't paid out vacation days.

never work for small biz baby bombers. absolute dregs of society.

If they haven't paid out your vacation time you should make a formal demand and escalate to the appropriate wage and hour authorities. They owe you that $ under CA labor law.

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_vacation.htm#:~:text=Under%20California%20law%2C%20earned%20vacation,earned%20five%20days%20of%20vacation.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
More details on the Gavin Gas Bucks™, now it sounds like it would be tied to vehicle registration rather than simply having paid taxes:

quote:

Gov. Gavin Newsom unveiled a proposal Wednesday to blunt California’s highest-in-the-nation gas prices by giving every vehicle owner in the state a $400 tax refund in the form of a debit card.

Newsom’s announcement is part of an $11 billion package his office said would help residents deal with the high price of gasoline, which has soared to a statewide average of $5.87 per gallon.

The tax refunds would go to the registered owners of vehicles, with a maximum of $800 per person for those who own more than one vehicle. In addition, Newsom wants to provide relief to non-drivers by making rail and mass transit service free for three months.

Newsom needs lawmakers’ support to approve the rebate plan as part of the state budget, so the payments could start by July. That delay is likely to spark sharp criticism from Republicans, who’ve demanded the state provide immediate relief by suspending the 51.5 cent per gallon gas tax.

In January, Newsom called for giving residents “a gas tax holiday” by freezing, for one year, the inflationary adjustment to the state’s gas tax, which was set to take effect July 1, saving drivers about $523 million total. He has said he plans to pursue that freeze in addition to a tax refund.

Whole lotta time left for everything to get sliced and diced and means tested, but $400-800 per vehicle owner, plus a few months of free public transit, and a one year freeze on gas tax inflation adjustment is like... an actual relief package. I'm kinda surprised Gavin's going ahead with this while Biden is trying to make a big deal on the national stage about how we can't give the people more handouts because it'll just make inflation worse.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Sydin posted:

I'm kinda surprised Gavin's going ahead with this while Biden is trying to make a big deal on the national stage about how we can't give the people more handouts because it'll just make inflation worse.

In a country where the federal government does gently caress all, state and local governments pick up the slack.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Selfishly I just wanna know if I still get a “gas card” for my not-gas-using car. I mean, it’s still a registered vehicle…

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

quarantinethepast posted:

In a country where the federal government does gently caress all, state and local governments pick up the slack.

Yep, it would have been nice getting healthcare instead of this band-aid of a solution.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Sydin posted:

More details on the Gavin Gas Bucks™, now it sounds like it would be tied to vehicle registration rather than simply having paid taxes:

Whole lotta time left for everything to get sliced and diced and means tested, but $400-800 per vehicle owner, plus a few months of free public transit, and a one year freeze on gas tax inflation adjustment is like... an actual relief package. I'm kinda surprised Gavin's going ahead with this while Biden is trying to make a big deal on the national stage about how we can't give the people more handouts because it'll just make inflation worse.

I'm too cynical to think he's doing it because it's the right thing to do, so here is my guess. He's going to run for President at some point. 2024 if Biden doesn't run for some reason, for sure 2028. He blew a lot of any progressive rep he had left after killing CalCare. Makes it easy for someone to be to the left of him in a Presidential primary by calling out his hypocrisy. Wouldn't be surprised if he'd lose a California Presidential primary in that scenario. This is a for real progressive populous policy that will actually help people. May help him win back some hearts and minds.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol, if you want to run as president saying "I gave CA communist Healthcare and you can too" would energize both parties.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
The $400-$800 giveaway idea sounds awful to me. Why is CA spending $9 billion subsidizing car owners instead of just making public transit free for much longer? This regressive policy helps the people with two cars the most while doing nothing for the poorest people with no cars.

Furthermore, the gas bucks are only going to increase regional demand for gas (which raises gas prices further) and worsen climate change. If he really wanted to give gas price relief, he could also simply just cut the gas tax, but I guess the optics of that move are not as pretty as the generous governor giving out free money. I suspect that cutting the gas tax would also do more to rally environmentalists against him.

This just sounds like an expensively dumb move for his personal political gain.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
cutting the gas tax would impede highway construction and we obviously can't have that

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

cutting the gas tax would impede highway construction and we obviously can't have that

Not really, they'll just make more toll roads.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, sending people money because they own cars is loving boneheaded. I might get 400 for a car I don't even drive.

Just send everyone a loving check. Gas prices impact people even if they don't own cars jesus.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think it's awesome that they're willing to send people money directly rather than spending it on transit projects or other things that won't directly impact people immediately.

Honestly, just give everyone the same check, car or no. I have a car and a motorcycle, one of which sips fuel and which I barely ride. Not really fair to double my refund for that when others could benefit more.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

It's like a reverse carbon tax, the worst polluters that use resources the least efficiently get more money, while the people who are not contributing to the problem get way less. And basically no funding for any ways to avoid this problem as it gets worse, except to keep subsidizing traffic jams and the destruction of our biosphere.

But hey, I'm gonna get $400!

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 25, 2022

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

Not really, they'll just make more toll roads.

this is why the chuds like that little weasely dipshit Kiley (and more importantly their information "providers") are whining about the $400 and just saying "repeal the commie gas tax for muh freedumbb!"

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
Also, the suspended gas tax relief wouldn't be passed on directly to consumers and would go to companies instead. There is no guarantee that companies would actually pass on the savings.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

Gavin has a surplus he's desperate not to spend productively. Biden doesn't have that issue.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the caltrans union PECG is getting fired up about this transparently bullshit return to the office:

quote:

But as employers roll out post-pandemic work policies, new state rules replace the flexibility, consistency and good faith with random dictates arbitrarily applied to be in the office a certain number of days without identifying how that serves operational needs or the public. In essence, work-from-home opportunities are becoming a matter of individual departments’ or managers’ predilections, not what is necessarily best for California.

This could well bump up against the Professional Engineers in California Government’s labor agreement with the state, which says, in part, “no employee’s request for telecommuting shall be unreasonably denied.”

There is still time for the state to get it right. Extending two years of cooperation and success should not devolve into a costly labor-management dispute over the unnecessary denial of telework options that serve no department objective or mission.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That's exactly how my agency is handeling it, lol. They put out an emergency WFH order at the start of COVID that was basically "yeah it's by department, uh, have fun I guess" and that's still the order we're operating under. My department head is super lovely about WFH and trying to claw as many people back as possible, meanwhile entire other departments are still 100% wfh and nobody cares. It's really dumb.

Apparently the execs put together a big shiny new WFH policy but the unions took one look at it and told them to gently caress off, so that's on "indefinite" hold for the time being which means the emergency order is still the law of the land.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
we're just now rolling out a permanent telework agreement that was handed down from the state-level management and apparently our district chief took one look at it and decided that now is their chance to try and make everyone come back twice a week "for knowledge transfer" on a permanent basis

this was despite multiple internal polls that they keep posting the results of which state that everyone is against this and is working more efficiently from home than in-person ever was, this is some real boomer poo poo that they're trying to pull while at the same time kicking off a recruitment drive lol good luck with that guys

even my immediate boss is against it, and was trying to appease our team by claiming that this will surely end with the next wave lmao

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we're just now rolling out a permanent telework agreement that was handed down from the state-level management and apparently our district chief took one look at it and decided that now is their chance to try and make everyone come back twice a week "for knowledge transfer" on a permanent basis

this was despite multiple internal polls that they keep posting the results of which state that everyone is against this and is working more efficiently from home than in-person ever was, this is some real boomer poo poo that they're trying to pull while at the same time kicking off a recruitment drive lol good luck with that guys

even my immediate boss is against it, and was trying to appease our team by claiming that this will surely end with the next wave lmao

It's a blatant effort to prop up commercial real estate prices