Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Re: whether or not Russia or Ukraine is "winning" overall, it would seem that even if Russia meets its military objectives in Ukraine that it will be in a significantly worse strategic position than it was when it started the war. To me that seems like it's not only an "own goal" it's kicking the ball into your own goal then shooting the goalie in the head.

Case in point: the majority of Finns want to join NATO, up from 34% in 2021.

https://www.businessinsider.com/finland-majority-support-joining-nato-after-russia-invades-ukraine-survey-2022-3

Edit: shameful page snipe, have a pic of one of my dogs giving me serious side eye

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cimber posted:

When was the last time in modern history that an aggressor actually won their war of aggression?

I can only think of one, the 2003 invasion of Iraq, and even that the 'victory' wasn't so clear cut.

Less than two years ago when Armenia got their poo poo kicked.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Re: whether or not Russia or Ukraine is "winning" overall, it would seem that even if Russia meets its military objectives in Ukraine that it will be in a significantly worse strategic position than it was when it started the war. To me that seems like it's not only an "own goal" it's kicking the ball into your own goal then shooting the goalie in the head.

https://www.businessinsider.com/finland-majority-support-joining-nato-after-russia-invades-ukraine-survey-2022-3

Edit: shameful page snipe, have a pic of one of my dogs giving me serious side eye

Yeah, again: If Putin's goal was to protect himself from NATO expansion: That's failed entirely. If his goal was to rebuild the Russian empire through a land grab: that's not happening anymore. If his goal was to demonstrate lack of resolve on the Wests part: Also failed.

Both militarily and geopolitically, this entire thing is a bust for Russia and is going to set them back at least a decade or more.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I made a helpful explainer/visual aid of the situation

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, again: If Putin's goal was to protect himself from NATO expansion: That's failed entirely. If his goal was to rebuild the Russian empire through a land grab: that's not happening anymore. If his goal was to demonstrate lack of resolve on the Wests part: Also failed.

Both militarily and geopolitically, this entire thing is a bust for Russia and is going to set them back at least a decade or more.

Eh, gently caress Putin. The line of bullshit about NATO is just that; a line of bullshit lies that shouldn't even exist as a talking point but, welp, propaganda works and it forces everyone to talk about it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I made a helpful explainer/visual aid of the situation

will you settle for your dog chewing your hand off

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

Eh, gently caress Putin. The line of bullshit about NATO is just that; a line of bullshit lies that shouldn't even exist as a talking point but, welp, propaganda works and it forces everyone to talk about it.

Trying to point out that if his invasion had succeeded, Russia would have a lot MORE of a border with NATO countries, in a far less tenable defensive position to people who actually think russia has a legitimate security concern is like watching an egg thrown at a brick wall.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

When you think about it atoms are involved in every disaster

makes you think

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, again: If Putin's goal was to protect himself from NATO expansion: That's failed entirely.

I still don't 100% follow the line that NATO expansion is an existential threat to Russian except where it foils Russian imperialistic ambitions. Which, yes, if that's all it is then I can understand the perspective, but I'm certainly seeing certain groups (like internet leftists) suggesting that there's more to it than that. Is there a belief that post-Soviet nations joining with NATO would be the precursor to an invasion and destruction of Russia?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

When you think about it atoms are involved in every disaster

No atoms are necessary for a universe ending vacuum disaster.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

I still don't 100% follow the line that NATO expansion is an existential threat to Russian except where it foils Russian imperialistic ambitions. Which, yes, if that's all it is then I can understand the perspective, but I'm certainly seeing certain groups (like internet leftists) suggesting that there's more to it than that. Is there a belief that post-Soviet nations joining with NATO would be the precursor to an invasion and destruction of Russia?

That's basically the myth Russia is pushing, yes.

Deteriorata posted:

A video from the NYT with intercepted Russian communications around the initial invasion of Makariv.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/world.../investigations

This video is particularly haunting, NY Times video going over the radio intercepts.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Everything I know about atoms I learned from The Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqgvHUg_vxY

I am not a smart man.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The amount of credible, verifiable information available in near-realtime about this war is unprecedented. I've never seen anything like this. I can't imagine that this kind of info was available to military commanders until the latter half of the 20th century. Perhaps even later than that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A.o.D. posted:

The amount of credible, verifiable information available in near-realtime about this war is unprecedented. I've never seen anything like this. I can't imagine that this kind of info was available to military commanders until the latter half of the 20th century. Perhaps even later than that.

Can't wait for the 323rd Strategic Disinformation K-Pop unit to be deployed in the future.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

It’s too bad they can’t see that everyone else views a takeover of Russia the same way South Korea views reunification.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

CommieGIR posted:

This video is particularly haunting, NY Times video going over the radio intercepts.

Some drat good journalism.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Wasabi the J posted:

There's also coded messages in his clothing and background items.

lmao what :aaa:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

He does the upside down american flag thing with his curious George hat patch to indicate the video is a satire bit, stuff like that, his shirts with have tattooed/lgbt elsa or anna from frozen frequently when he's making a video about not limiting yourself to other's views of you stuff like that. If he's making a video about doing what you can to help out any situation he wears a rule 303 shirt

Stravag fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 24, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1506767202707554312?s=21

Seriously they seem to suck at a level similar to the Invasion of Finland.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s too bad they can’t see that everyone else views a takeover of Russia the same way South Korea views reunification.

Inevitable but the next administrations problem?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Isn't that fifth column poo poo affiliated with Assange? Or was that just the name of the lovely movie about him?

Either way, my youtube feed is for car crashes, brit panel shows and taskmaster. There's enough propaganda going around from all sides, I don't need it recommended to me as every 5th video on youtube.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That Works posted:

Can't wait for the 323rd Strategic Disinformation K-Pop unit to be deployed in the future.

I kind of get the impression that basically already exists, and that it has been crowdsourced.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

CainFortea posted:

Trying to point out that if his invasion had succeeded, Russia would have a lot MORE of a border with NATO countries, in a far less tenable defensive position to people who actually think russia has a legitimate security concern is like watching an egg thrown at a brick wall.

It's possible that it's less about the border and more about Ukraine itself. If Ukraine is supposed to be part of the broader Russian sphere of influence, having it join NATO is pretty concretely leaving the club.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Experience has taught me not to listen to loud beardy guys.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CainFortea posted:

Russia doesn't want to absorb Ukraine. They want an empire of expendable "not us" countries to buffer them. Basically, take Russia's "lure them in and kill them in the winter and spring mud" defense strategy except that it happens in Ukraine or Belarus instead of actual Russia.

e: Speaking of historical precedent, is there any other example beyond Russia/USSR of an empire not just expanding to extract resources from colonial areas but to use them as "fight them there not here" buffers?

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 24, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Experience has taught me not to listen to loud beardy guys.

I find this one in particular most frank and reliable when he's talking about those he views as his opposition. When he's talking about his own side there's some garbage in his content.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Voyager I posted:

It's possible that it's less about the border and more about Ukraine itself. If Ukraine is supposed to be part of the broader Russian sphere of influence, having it join NATO is pretty concretely leaving the club.

Yes, that's what the point of my post was. It has nothing to do with NATO, and if NATO had imploded last year and ceased to exist russia would still have invaded Ukraine because Ukraine "isn't a real country and is actually russia".

My post was that the claim that Russia has an honest security interest in keeping NATO away is blatantly false given every action they've taken since 2008.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

e: Speaking of historical precedent, is there any other example beyond Russia/USSR of an empire not just expanding to extract resources from colonial areas but to use them as "fight them there not here" buffers?

Afghanistan (British Empire having a go inbetween Russia's attempts to absorb it as a client state).

Technically the attempt wasn't a total failure.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Afghanistan (British Empire having a go inbetween Russia's attempts to absorb it as a client state).

Technically the attempt wasn't a total failure.

I have it on good authority from one H. Flashman that it was a right cock up, though.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

CommieGIR posted:

Whoever has callsign Buran really does sound close to tears at one point.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Isn't that fifth column poo poo affiliated with Assange? Or was that just the name of the lovely movie about him?

Either way, my youtube feed is for car crashes, brit panel shows and taskmaster. There's enough propaganda going around from all sides, I don't need it recommended to me as every 5th video on youtube.

fifth column is a really broad term afaik, there's no affiliation to anything in particular.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

fifth column is a really broad term afaik, there's no affiliation to anything in particular.

Most importantly they were the resistance in V

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Ezra Klein did a good podcast on Russia and the state of the global energy markets that's worth checking out. In particular interviewed economic historian Daniel Yergin who talks about the impact of the shale revolution and the huge shift in thinking about European energy dependence. Decarbonization as a national security measure can be a powerful argument that can open a lot of doors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/22/opinion/ezra-klein-podcast-daniel-yergin.html

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ezra-klein-show/id1548604447?i=1000554830246

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 24, 2022

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_column#Origin

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

CainFortea posted:

Yes, that's what the point of my post was. It has nothing to do with NATO, and if NATO had imploded last year and ceased to exist russia would still have invaded Ukraine because Ukraine "isn't a real country and is actually russia".

My post was that the claim that Russia has an honest security interest in keeping NATO away is blatantly false given every action they've taken since 2008.

You're missing the point of what I'm saying. Ukraine giving consideration to joining NATO is a point of crisis from the perspective of a Russian who considers it part of their domain, because once it becomes a NATO member it's completely untouchable.

If NATO doesn't exist there isn't a way for Ukraine to escape Russia's grasp with such solidity.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Voyager I posted:

You're missing the point of what I'm saying. Ukraine giving consideration to joining NATO is a point of crisis from the perspective of a Russian who considers it part of their domain, because once it becomes a NATO member it's completely untouchable.

If NATO doesn't exist there isn't a way for Ukraine to escape Russia's grasp with such solidity.

They weren't contemplating joining NATO before Russia started getting grabby. Which is my point. Russia generated the whole "NATO Crisis"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CainFortea posted:

They weren't contemplating joining NATO before Russia started getting grabby. Which is my point. Russia generated the whole "NATO Crisis"

Also, NATO certainly wasn't giving any indication they supported Ukraine's admission. The opposite, in fact. The crisis was both manufactured and already dealt with by Russia inciting a perpetual conflict on its eastern border.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

Also, NATO certainly wasn't giving any indication they supported Ukraine's admission. The opposite, in fact. The crisis was both manufactured and already dealt with by Russia inciting a perpetual conflict on its eastern border.

Which seems to be a Russian strategy: Create a border crisis through a small operation, and voila! No NATO membership. Ukraine was the first one to get the "Full takeover attempt"

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Part of it is that Russia has around 250,000 Jews still living there. This isn’t meant to justify, but possibly explain the Israeli logic, a bit more. For the record Ukraine has a similar number of Jews living in the country and being murdered by the Russians.

More that Israel has over a million ex-Soviet Jews who have varying degrees of support for Putin. This was a recent Netanyahu campaign poster, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_(territory)

The concept has existed for a while. Border regions with less/non-existant taxation combined with higher rates of conscription (plus the implication that fighting will likelier-than-not take place in that particular region).

As an aside, this term is the origin of the noble ranks of Marquess/Marquis/Markgraf

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 24, 2022