Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neoleo2143
Mar 23, 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think mock battles are any less flavorless than like a random encounter or whatever. They come off ok imo.

If anything they're better because they play more with varied objectives and enemy compositions, especially the NG+ ones where they go pretty wild on the scenarios.

I don't really see this game as particularly incoherent or significantly lacking in any particular area aside from maybe the timing where party members are recruited and UX stuff. It's at the least good in most areas to excellent in a number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Palmtree Panic posted:

Just had a vote where I couldn’t convince anyone to switch sides and lost the vote.

Serenoa’s convictions must be lacking if I can’t even convince Anna.

Yeah if you chose the wrong stuff you can have people go away from your opinion.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Once I started getting a feel about what characters cared about the most it became easier to convince them.

Like basically anything mentioning Roland's safety will do very well with Hughette for example.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Palmtree Panic posted:

Just had a vote where I couldn’t convince anyone to switch sides and lost the vote.

Serenoa’s convictions must be lacking if I can’t even convince Anna.

I’ve said this several times but it’s worth repeating: the unlockable option is often a red herring. You have to choose based on the character’s personality.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

This game was a lot of fun in the battles, I loved those.

I think it would have benefitted from having new characters arrive with a mini-battle that would allow them to directly show their stuff, that probably would have encouraged more variety from the players.

The story was quite good for the medium. It's hardly Druon or Sharon Kay Penman but it all made sense and worked well enough.

With the golden ending:

I thought it was building to a more formal unity at the end, what with Roland desperate to abdicate, every other child of the former duke dead, and Serenoa the only saint with any power left. Either that or an imperial acclamation.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
the Exploration segments are actually doing a pretty nice trick -- Triangle Strategy has unusually complex and dense maps for a 3D tactical RPG. The exploration sequences are used to make you run around the map before you use it, so that it's fair that there's a ladder on the back of this one building there, or that there's a weird dip that way, or that the exact configuration of all the minecarts matter, without making you feel like you have to scan over the whole thing at the start of the battle.

(Not that, I mean, the trick that it's doing necessarily justifies the time you spend on them if you found them boring - I just thought I'd point out why I think they designed them into the game.)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve said this several times but it’s worth repeating: the unlockable option is often a red herring. You have to choose based on the character’s personality.

There was an answer I really wanted to pick but I didn't because I was trying to speak Erador's language and he was all, "I'm glad you're enthusiastic and all but we really need to be more serious about this." and voted against me.

Made the characters feel like they had more depth. Clearly I need to strengthen Serenoa's convictions.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

DNE posted:

the Exploration segments are actually doing a pretty nice trick -- Triangle Strategy has unusually complex and dense maps for a 3D tactical RPG. The exploration sequences are used to make you run around the map before you use it, so that it's fair that there's a ladder on the back of this one building there, or that there's a weird dip that way, or that the exact configuration of all the minecarts matter, without making you feel like you have to scan over the whole thing at the start of the battle.

(Not that, I mean, the trick that it's doing necessarily justifies the time you spend on them if you found them boring - I just thought I'd point out why I think they designed them into the game.)

Yeah, I like that it lets you familiarize yourself with the nuances of the terrain outside the heat of battle. It does make me wonder though: is there a jump boosting accessory anywhere in the game, and if so, does it affect Serenoa's traversal during exploration segments?

My main complaint about exploration segments is that the particle effects on things like water look similar enough to the hidden item sparkles to be confusing and distracting.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
This minecart mission is really dumb lol. I see what they were trying to do but it wasn't executed well. I don't feel like I'm going to lose but like, you end up not even using half the carts and only 1 person can use one at a time and there's a lot of wasted time calling them back and forth.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

This minecart mission is really dumb lol. I see what they were trying to do but it wasn't executed well. I don't feel like I'm going to lose but like, you end up not even using half the carts and only 1 person can use one at a time and there's a lot of wasted time calling them back and forth.

It's amusing when an enemy steps on the tracks and you run them over three times in a row, at least.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Really fun luring enemies into the tracks and hitting the tracks with lightning

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah all of that was fun but the absolute best was Anna solo disarming every bomb by abusing Cover

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I really only used the carts for my low/high movement guys depending on what I wanted to do. There are some mock battles later (in NG+) where you have to survive on that map for 100 turns and they are kind of invaluable depending on where stuff spawns.

I do agree it's a better idea than execution.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Oof, having a rough time with Frederica's Ch. XVIII battle. I think I'd lost maybe one battle before that point but got wiped three times in a row. I was doing better on the third try until I found out the hard way that boss's stop ability is a multi target.

I've been coasting on Benedict's invincibility ability real hard lately, and now he's gone...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Edna Mode posted:

Oof, having a rough time with Frederica's Ch. XVIII battle. I think I'd lost maybe one battle before that point but got wiped three times in a row. I was doing better on the third try until I found out the hard way that boss's stop ability is a multi target.

I've been coasting on Benedict's invincibility ability real hard lately, and now he's gone...

Piccoletta can copycat that ability

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Here’s a secret for that fight: just don’t move up

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Turtling is far too successful a strategy for this game. It never gets boring but I consistently get slayed when I try to be aggressive.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
The enemy can kill one of your units in 2-3 skills or 2-3 attacks with follow ups unless it is Erador so it is extremely punishing for the player to get caught out. The only units I am aggressive with are Erador, Anna and archers if the terrain allows. Seranoa and Roland sometimes as well, depending if I can get Roland a good Rush to position himself. Maxwell can be run aggressively as well due to auto-revive, or anyone hit by Cordelia’s auto revive skill (Recruited unit spoilers)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Man what the gently caress? We just wrecked the Aesfrost army and we let them retreat and regroup so they can attack house Falkes? Why cant we immediately go ally with that house and join forces and just liberate Glenbrook? This sucks.

Instead we have to go to the sniveling worthless house that no one has a good feeling about. How contrived.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Man what the gently caress? We just wrecked the Aesfrost army and we let them retreat and regroup so they can attack house Falkes? Why cant we immediately go ally with that house and join forces and just liberate Glenbrook? This sucks.

Instead we have to go to the sniveling worthless house that no one has a good feeling about. How contrived.

You didn't "crush" their army, it's specifically stated that there were terrible losses on both sides and your soldiers needed time to recuperate just as much as Aesfrost did.

Edit: Even if it weren't explained in-universe, there's a difference between fighting a defensive battle and and offensive battle. Sieging a castle with an exhausted army would be a bad idea and likely just result losing more forces, not victory.

Edit 2: As for why they didn't immediately join up at Wolffort Castle, yeah, contrived.

Edit 3: But, then, if Falkes was left undefended, etc. etc.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 24, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Edna Mode posted:

I beat that with like two people left. You gotta turtle but it’s still super difficult.

Erador’s ultimate skill provokes enemies and makes him invincible for a few turns, it’s very good if you don’t have it yet.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yeah, the treatment of house Falkes was pretty disappointing. A bunch of scenes building them up as reliable warriors who are ready to take action, then they die in a cutscene without having any impact on a single battle.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I beat that with like two people left. You gotta turtle but it’s still super difficult.

Erador’s ultimate skill provokes enemies and makes him invincible for a few turns, it’s very good if you don’t have it yet.

Yes, I just got that one! Need to remember to use it, as well as the Quietus menu...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, the treatment of house Falkes was pretty disappointing. A bunch of scenes building them up as reliable warriors who are ready to take action, then they die in a cutscene without having any impact on a single battle.

I mean if you go the other route Falkes sorta sucks as much as the other guy and they has an impact on a battle.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The level 44 mock battle on the cliff map is uhh.

Exceedingly loving stupid.

Yeah that's the right phrase.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I highly doubt it but, does Benedict's Twofold Turn give Anna four turns?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MotU posted:

The enemy can kill one of your units in 2-3 skills or 2-3 attacks with follow ups unless it is Erador so it is extremely punishing for the player to get caught out. The only units I am aggressive with are Erador, Anna and archers if the terrain allows. Seranoa and Roland sometimes as well, depending if I can get Roland a good Rush to position himself. Maxwell can be run aggressively as well due to auto-revive, or anyone hit by Cordelia’s auto revive skill (Recruited unit spoilers)

Yea this is why I put it on Very Easy and why I have burned out during my New Game+ run. I feel like I'm super underlevelled (which is totally fine on Very Easy) but I do kinda want to see the new units actually do their stuff which you don't get on Very Easy because it's basically "fights off".
And when you're underlevelled you die in two hits, it's just too easy for me to misplace a character and have them get absolutely welped out of (what feels like to me) nowhere. I miss the rewind feature Three Houses had.

While I've really enjoyed the story of the game the actual fights were a bit of an arse and I definitely like three houses better. I really enjoy class systems and I also enjoy the flow of levelling and I dunno if I feel like they're that important in this. So few of the times I bought a skill did I feel "excited" to spend the points there and see what it did, I guess. And to be clear being high level absolutely matters - but just for the raw stats and that's all.
As someone else mentioned I also feel the recruitment thing is a bit weird. They just turn up at your camp. It's not BAD exactly, I don't know what I want from it. It just feels strange. Especially right near the start when they're fleeing the war that hasn't really happened much yet. This expands to the dialogues the characters get with each other, I find myself not paying attention. It just feels so distant from the core story of the game and because I don't feel like I "know" the characters outside of the main seven in the same way as I did in Three Houses it feels flat.

However I do feel they could take the framework of this game and make something absolutely amazing next time. Go from an 8 to a 9 by expanding how stuff works.
It almost feels like the original game only had 7 characters and the larger cast was added way after that? I dunno. I think the voting would be amazing if you had to deal with everyone from your party and not just the core seven. Those scenes - every scene that's not a fight - makes the other people feel like they don't even exist.
That's absolutely a thing they could fix though.

Spoilers for the Frederica path here.
It still feels UNBELIEVABLY STUPID that nobody has ever gone south of the falls before. It's the one point in the story that I just can't accept at all. It's almost like the fog of war around Norzalia is real and nothing exists outside it and I don't think I like that very much.

Taear fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 24, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

About that ending, it’s expressly mentioned that people have ventured that far south, but none have made it back. They didn’t bother explaining how Frederica and group manage to stay alive. Maybe Centralia is just so nice that people simply choose not to come back :v:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Edna Mode posted:

Yes, I just got that one! Need to remember to use it, as well as the Quietus menu...

The full revive Quietus is good, so is the 25% health revive if you do it a turn you can heal them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I highly doubt it but, does Benedict's Twofold Turn give Anna four turns?

Yes it does and it rules

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

I am a genius.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fangz posted:

Yes it does and it rules

No way. :kstare:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Prowler posted:

You didn't "crush" their army, it's specifically stated that there were terrible losses on both sides and your soldiers needed time to recuperate just as much as Aesfrost did.

Edit: Even if it weren't explained in-universe, there's a difference between fighting a defensive battle and and offensive battle. Sieging a castle with an exhausted army would be a bad idea and likely just result losing more forces, not victory.

Edit 2: As for why they didn't immediately join up at Wolffort Castle, yeah, contrived.

Edit 3: But, then, if Falkes was left undefended, etc. etc.

I feel like one of the problems with that section is that the game says "house wolffort's soldiers faced terrible losses and are exhausted," but it's like... House Wolffort's forces? You mean Benedict, Anna, Eredor, and this circus girl I adopted? The game doesn't do a great job of visualizing the fact that Wolffort supposedly has an army of generic soldiers. All you really see are your own crew and like 4 town guards.

needed a scene of Avlora taking out a squad of Wolffort soldiers to sell that plot beat better.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Cephas posted:

I feel like one of the problems with that section is that the game says "house wolffort's soldiers faced terrible losses and are exhausted," but it's like... House Wolffort's forces? You mean Benedict, Anna, Eredor, and this circus girl I adopted? The game doesn't do a great job of visualizing the fact that Wolffort supposedly has an army of generic soldiers. All you really see are your own crew and like 4 town guards.

needed a scene of Avlora taking out a squad of Wolffort soldiers to sell that plot beat better.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree, and it's always been that feeling going into games like this (although FE3H represents in an interesting way). But the game at least tells you why in a mandatory scene right after the battle.

Falkes does get the poo poo end of the stick, but I would be lying if I said I didn't expect it. And one look at Silvio's art tells you all you need to know about him.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cephas posted:

I agree, it’s not very well visualized that there are generic soldiers clashing all around while you’re doing your battles. Except when you (mid-game) take back Castle Glenbrook while Exharme’s forces are fighting the Aesfrosti Army outside. That’s pretty well visualized.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just beat the Chapter 13 fight on my first try, and I absolutely shouldn't have. I was even a level below recommended.

I took the path of bombing the boat. I was down to five units. Anna, Archibald, Corentin, Hughette, and Geela. I had them holed up near the back of the map, up on that ledge. I noticed that the enemy AI didn't want to move forward past the boat much. And they were still in range of my archers. I was at a point where I figured it was desperate, but doable. That's when a second batch of reinforcements appeared exactly where my units were holed up. They took out Corentin, but I was able to take them out and then get back to the enemies by the boat. With Geela I was able to get everyone back to full health and even use Haste a lot. But I still had to deal with a couple of archers, a tank, both siblings, and worst of all, two heal mages. I needed to take out the mages because they had the most potential to undo all my efforts. Luckily, they were spaced out far enough. I used my archers to plink away at the tank and the sister (forgot her name) and eventually I baited the first mage where I needed him. Had Anna sneak in and poison it and then get away (take cover is a godsend for buying time in the line of fire). I managed to take it out and then did sorta the same for the other. Then it was a matter of slowly plinking the others away. As long as I kept my distance, they wouldn't move forward. Eventually I killed the tank, the sister, and the archer. All I had left was the brother and another archer stationed on the crow's nest of the boat. I had to use Anna to lure the brother closer because he kept on the boat the whole battle. Eventually I got him out. He did hit hard but I was able to out damage and heal him. He did manage to take out Anna, but she served her purpose. The last archer could have been a problem if I had maybe one unit left. I had to have Hughette get right up to it because there's no other place on the map to get to it. The archer cornered itself. So even if he did manage to take out Archibald and Geela, he wouldn't have been able to attack Hughette. Two Fell Swoops and he was dead.

And now Anna, Archibald, Hughette, and Geela are a good three levels higher than the rest of my units.

Rest in piss, Frederica's brother and sister.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just beat the Chapter 13 fight on my first try, and I absolutely shouldn't have. I was even a level below recommended.

I took the path of bombing the boat. I was down to five units. Anna, Archibald, Corentin, Hughette, and Geela. I had them holed up near the back of the map, up on that ledge. I noticed that the enemy AI didn't want to move forward past the boat much. And they were still in range of my archers. I was at a point where I figured it was desperate, but doable. That's when a second batch of reinforcements appeared exactly where my units were holed up. They took out Corentin, but I was able to take them out and then get back to the enemies by the boat. With Geela I was able to get everyone back to full health and even use Haste a lot. But I still had to deal with a couple of archers, a tank, both siblings, and worst of all, two heal mages. I needed to take out the mages because they had the most potential to undo all my efforts. Luckily, they were spaced out far enough. I used my archers to plink away at the tank and the sister (forgot her name) and eventually I baited the first mage where I needed him. Had Anna sneak in and poison it and then get away (take cover is a godsend for buying time in the line of fire). I managed to take it out and then did sorta the same for the other. Then it was a matter of slowly plinking the others away. As long as I kept my distance, they wouldn't move forward. Eventually I killed the tank, the sister, and the archer. All I had left was the brother and another archer stationed on the crow's nest of the boat. I had to use Anna to lure the brother closer because he kept on the boat the whole battle. Eventually I got him out. He did hit hard but I was able to out damage and heal him. He did manage to take out Anna, but she served her purpose. The last archer could have been a problem if I had maybe one unit left. I had to have Hughette get right up to it because there's no other place on the map to get to it. The archer cornered itself. So even if he did manage to take out Archibald and Geela, he wouldn't have been able to attack Hughette. Two Fell Swoops and he was dead.

And now Anna, Archibald, Hughette, and Geela are a good three levels higher than the rest of my units.

Rest in piss, Frederica's brother and sister.

I haven't finished the game yet but I think that was was my favorite mission so far. It was challenging but I played well and won, and I think I only lost 1 or 2 people.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

The status quo when the game starts definitely benefits Hyzante the most and Aesfrost the least, so it makes sense the latter would be a lot more interested in technological development. That said Hyzante is the leader in medicine/medical research, which the game treats as nearly as big of a deal as Aesfrost's archives. Both nations crack down on their researchers at various points to prevent their knowledge from benefiting the other countries. Glenbrook in comparison kind of feels like it doesn't have much of an identity aside from being ye olde fantasye kingdome situated between the other two that the protagonist can be from.

I just feel like the game sells Aesfrost as "A northern land, rich in iron, ruled by the Archduke's dynasty that is renowned for meritocracy and ideals of liberty" and if you just got rid of the italicized part absolutely nothing about the game would change. Hell, the saintly seven have a better claim to meritocracy since all of them except the hood guy who barely exists are shown to be pretty renowned and/or accomplished in their fields.

I still went with the Aesfrost ending on my first playthrough since they seemed less evil than Hyzante and Frederica's thing seemed like a silly fantasy (although this is a fantasy game so I'm sure it's actually true). Also because I like Benedict.

Glenbrook's schtick is they are the crossroads of idea willing to be open to all ideas like the river they settle on and represented by the scales of conviction. Whereas others are set in their stubborn ways, Glenbrook's people are open minded

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

New Game+ isn't loving around, first map kicked my poo poo in. Being outnumbered suddenly matters :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

One other thing I really appreciated is how the character art, no matter how sinister, is no indication of who is more evil than anyone else.