Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That enclosure is woefully inadequate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A hippo nearly escapes from its zoo exhibit and the patrons just stand around and watch, so the poor fuckin' security guard has to step in and convince the hippo to back down

https://i.imgur.com/FFnZ4GF.mp4

Hippos can be incredibly dangerous, luckily this one seemed pretty chill and was probably just begging for treats

:3 they're just big deadly dumb dogs :333

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

What did you do at work today?

Told a drunk guy to get a taxi home, slapped a hippo in the face, kicked some kids out for smoking. You know, the usual.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The first time it snapped at him I thought for sure I was about to see a man die

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

flavor.flv posted:

The first time it snapped at him I thought for sure I was about to see a man die

Yeah, I was thinking "Either this dude has to do this everyday so he's inured to the danger or he has NO idea what he is messing with". Hippos are insanely dangerous creatures.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Yeah, I was thinking "Either this dude has to do this everyday so he's inured to the danger or he has NO idea what he is messing with". Hippos are insanely dangerous creatures.

Kind of like that waitress who dragged a huge lizard from its tail and looked like she really knew how to handle them, but she was actually a foreigner, who acted instinctively.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kennel posted:

Kind of like that waitress who dragged a huge lizard from its tail and looked like she really knew how to handle them, but she was actually a foreigner, who acted instinctively.

It was a lace monitor, which can really gently caress you up if it gets its claws into you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R5cI1CF_lE

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
"How would I convince a hippo to back down off a fence?" is not a question I've ever pondered before 30 seconds ago, but I decided immediately that "smack it in the face" is not my answer.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Disdain posted:

"How would I convince a hippo to back down off a fence?" is not a question I've ever pondered before 30 seconds ago, but I decided immediately that "smack it in the face" is not my answer.

Gotta be ALPHA bro.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was a lace monitor, which can really gently caress you up if it gets its claws into you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R5cI1CF_lE

I've had to do this with iguanas and so long as you keep moving they can't whip round fast enough and get you. Then when you let them go they run straight back in because they are so very, very stupid.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lady Disdain posted:

The way he goes from its one side to the othe and back between slaps really makes it look like he knows what he is doing. Maybe the hippo thinks it's being smacked by different people and backs down because "Oh poo poo, they got superior numbers!"

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Grendels Dad posted:

The way he goes from its one side to the othe and back between slaps really makes it look like he knows what he is doing. Maybe the hippo thinks it's being smacked by different people and backs down because "Oh poo poo, they got superior numbers!"

More likely "after this I get shocked repeatedly"

I have seen a woman grab and throw a snake that got near her kid, just yeeted that fucker by the tail without a second thought. Then instantly broke into tears when it set in wtf she just did.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Lady Disdain posted:

I would've used a branch or stick or something, bare-handed is insane. Not that it would save me if the hippo went over but it would've made me fell better with a little distance. Plus the illusion of height, I guess.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I would calmly debate the hippo into submission.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'd seduce the hippo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would have basically been like

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I would have basically been like

You would have dated and then married a child?

Oh, mod star

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, that is what you should take from that joke

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Hitting is wrong. Have you tried sitting down and talking with the Hippo to understand why its misbehaving?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That hippo is out there, it cant be bargained with, it cant be reasoned with, it doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and it absolutely will not stop... EVER, until you are dead

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Biplane posted:

I would calmly debate the hippo into submission.

Impale the beast on the deadly horns of dialectic debate.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If there's one thing I know about Hippos, it's that they are hungry

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

That hippo is out there, it cant be bargained with, it cant be reasoned with, it doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and it absolutely will not stop... EVER, until you are dead

Hippos continue to be a metaphor for capitalism

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would sate the creature with a series of white bowling balls.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Zookeeper: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? Perfect organism. Its structural thiccness matched only by its hostility.
Security Guard: You admire it.
Zookeeper: I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of watermelons.
Security Guard: Look, I am... I've heard enough of this, and I'm asking you to pull the plug.
Zookeeper: Last word.
Security Guard: What?
Zookeeper: I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Reminder that hippos mark territory by violently defecating while flinging their tails in a circle to scatter it every which way

An animal whose lived experience is "the poo poo hits the fan"

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

freeedr posted:

You would have dated and then married a child?

Oh, mod star

Changing my name to Childlike Hippo so the mods will go easy on me.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Platystemon posted:

I would sate the creature with a series of white bowling balls.

I mean, just cut a big watermelon in half & chuck it in the pen, I'm sure it'll chase after delicious num-nums

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'd seduce the hippo

iirc correctly this involves spraying your poo poo and piss in every direction

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Atticus_1354 posted:

Changing my name to Childlike Hippo so the mods will go easy on me.

Wonder what Childlike Empress is up to?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r95zy4ldy31r0uzl6.mp4

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/DudespostingWs/status/1507400751634653188?s=20&t=69Wu_QGi_aVZoyMfPanFrw

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Should I rewatch Drop Zone?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I always thought parachutes deployed automatically in case of situations like this, but google says that they don't :ohdear:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lady Disdain posted:

I always thought parachutes deployed automatically in case of situations like this, but google says that they don't :ohdear:

Military chutes--aside from certain spec ops poo poo--have their ripcord attached to the plane so it auto deploys. Everyone else has to pull the cord.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Military chutes--aside from certain spec ops poo poo--have their ripcord attached to the plane so it auto deploys. Everyone else has to pull the cord.

Yeah, but I had also heard they had an altimeter that would deploy a chute automatically if it still hasn't been deployed by a certain altitude. Thinking about it now though, that would be rather complicated to build. You'd need a deployment mechanism, the altimeter, a way to know at least one chute was deployed and then not trigger, a way to not deploy on the ground or on the way up...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

thats a medal right there

a civilian one, which is the only ones that count

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Cat Hatter posted:

Yeah, but I had also heard they had an altimeter that would deploy a chute automatically if it still hasn't been deployed by a certain altitude. Thinking about it now though, that would be rather complicated to build. You'd need a deployment mechanism, the altimeter, a way to know at least one chute was deployed and then not trigger, a way to not deploy on the ground or on the way up...

Google says that these are a thing, but they're not built into all parachutes; they're an optional extra or whatever.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lady Disdain posted:

Google says that these are a thing, but they're not built into all parachutes; they're an optional extra or whatever.

Also they have a failure rate that’s probably higher than “I grabbed the guy and pulled the cord.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Lady Disdain posted:

Neat! So it looks like they automatically calibrate ground level when you turn it on and then activates a tiny explosive to deploy the reserve chute if the altimeter is rapidly decreasing when it gets to the deployment altitude. So that takes care of the "deploying on an airplane" problem. Wikipedia says the older mechanical versions were less reliable and I can't imagine ever trusting whatever clockwork they came up with to try and make that work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_activation_device