Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Is it this https://youtu.be/Y_Up5jScFEo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Well that's mine for sure.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yeah this is mine too

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deviant posted:

Meanwhile my samsung dryer in the garage plays a whole rear end loving song. I'll get an LG set eventually, these ones came with the house and are not great.

Our LG plays a cheery high-low 2 tone 4 times that is in an interval that we decided means "HAPPY LAUNDRY!" so we say that when we hear it.

redreader posted:

I have an LG frontloader I inherited from the PO and it works great, but, it loving stinks. After doing the first load which came out stinky, I ran washer cleaner in it like twice in a row, bicarb in another wash, cleaned the front gasket, emptied the filter, etc etc. Now it's fine, mostly, but if you don't wash anything in it for about 4 days it gets stinky again. There's mold growing in the liner I can't get out (it's just black, but feels like the rest of the rubber, so it must be deep inside the liner). I run washer cleaner stuff in it once a month and poo poo, and it's still like that. The reason I'm telling you is that I googled it and one of the results had someone saying "so... all LG front loaders get stinky then, I take it?"

There may be a 'back trap' or something but the water hose is firmly attached with no room to move the washer forward, so I haven't tried looking at the back. Works great though! Just maintain it at the start so it doesn't end up like mine

edit: 10 second song on mine!

Your might have other issues that this won't completely address, but when I do laundry I save whites that I'm going to bleach for last. Seems like if there's bleach in the final load you do for a few days/week things work out much better. I don't even bother leaving the door open or anything and it all works out fine.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Deviant posted:

LG frontloader is Would Recommend, then?

If you're taking opinions for 6 year old LG front load models, yes, the pair we purchased in 2016 have been great and I'd probably buy the current comparable set again unless The Internet tells me they've gone down in quality. Washer: WM3570HWA, gas dryer: DLGX3571W.

redreader posted:

Works great though! Just maintain it at the start so it doesn't end up like mine

We just leave the washer door open to let it dry out inside, running tub cleans maybe a few times per year? No stink or mold to speak of. I have heard of the issue, but again leaving the door open seems to entirely eliminate the problem.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yup the real protip on those front loaders is to never ever have the door closed unless it's running. Leave it wide open for a day to fully dry then if you must, close it most of the way until the magnet catches the door but it's still open a crack.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

maybe i'll just get a top loader with no agitator then

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

I got my bosch from best buy within 3 days fwiw.

Also its tones are volume configurable and 3 basic non-annoying beeps.

Meanwhile my samsung dryer in the garage plays a whole rear end loving song. I'll get an LG set eventually, these ones came with the house and are not great.

LG frontloader is Would Recommend, then?

Yes, the issues with my decade old one has been two easily replaceable cheap solenoids. Washes great.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I have some Electrolux 7637 series on the way next week that will replace my sturdy old dependable 2008 Kenmore W/D. The new ones will probably fire off a bunch of error codes and leak/short out within a few days. :newlol:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

For tub leak guy, what licensed plumber goes to a 'tub leak' call, caulks it, gets a callback and just recaulks it, then gives a refund? I would have thought investigating and solving a tub leak is like plumber bread and butter, but apparently lots of them suck at their job like any other profession I guess. Richard Trethewey is shamed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

This is the largest gap where the slope is:

:monocle:

I am not a tile and grout guy, but like, couldn't you just slide a couple 1x3" subway tiles in the gap there, like, lay them down flat, slide them back into the gap, add grout, then seal with silicone? I would be trying to fill that gap with tile first, then use grout and bath sealant to handle any gaps under 1/4". You're trying to fix a 1" gap with a material that can't span further than 1/3". Says so on the box they're squeezing it out of

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah this is mine too

I was on the phone with a coworker when I heard that jingle. "Laundry's done, eh?"

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Inner Light posted:

For tub leak guy, what licensed plumber goes to a 'tub leak' call, caulks it, gets a callback and just recaulks it, then gives a refund? I would have thought investigating and solving a tub leak is like plumber bread and butter, but apparently lots of them suck at their job like any other profession I guess. Richard Trethewey is shamed.

Hadlock posted:

:monocle:

I am not a tile and grout guy, but like, couldn't you just slide a couple 1x3" subway tiles in the gap there, like, lay them down flat, slide them back into the gap, add grout, then seal with silicone? I would be trying to fill that gap with tile first, then use grout and bath sealant to handle any gaps under 1/4". You're trying to fix a 1" gap with a material that can't span further than 1/3". Says so on the box they're squeezing it out of

Unfortunately I was not dealing with the actual plumber, but his side dudes for both the original and second call.

Second dude was especially bad though, just laying a layer of silicone on top of silicone.

I’m gonna try the backing rod route and see what happens. The real solution seems to be to re-shim the tub, but I Really don’t wanna pay to rip all this poo poo up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

but I Really don’t wanna pay to rip all this poo poo up.

Found the root problem

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Home Ownership: but I Really don’t wanna pay to rip all this poo poo up

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
We had a leak that sprung along the base of our shower due to some grout cracking. Water started dripping through one of our recessed lights in the kitchen. We talked to a couple people and the consensus is that it shouldn't do that unless the shower pan is compromised. So we're about to rip all this poo poo up and go exploring... With our luck so far on this house, I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner decided that they didn't need a shower pan or something. Also, of course the marble tile color we have is discontinued so we're going to have to try for a close match and live with a mismatch or basically redo this whole thing.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Deviant posted:

Meanwhile my samsung dryer in the garage plays a whole rear end loving song.

My Makita battery charger can play a variety of classical music, it owns. Pretty sure it's set to Fur Elise right now.

My new whirlpool laundry set plays a five note little thing when it's done

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

brugroffil posted:

My Makita battery charger can play a variety of classical music, it owns. Pretty sure it's set to Fur Elise right now.

well this one i understand the logic of, it's so you can tell your batteries being done compared to the guy next to you.

my dryer does not have that problem

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I for one enjoy the Samsung washer/dryer classical tune, it's also of course configurable to turn off if you don't. If I need to pick up another washer/dryer I'm probably gonna go with Samsung, these came from the PO and I think they own. Reliable, feels solidly constructed, etc.

They're the steam washer and dryer, I can get the model # if anyone wants. I never use the steam on the washer, but on the dryer it's hooked into a 'anti-static' mode that I use every time, and it actually works. I don't use dryer sheets anymore.

Also tangentially related, I figured out a simple LiFe hAcK to basically never get static shocks again when you know you are charged. If you feel like it's coming, just grab any metal object (I use scissors or nail clippers often) and then use the metal object to touch something grounded, for this I usually use a plumbing faucet. You are now uncharged without pain!

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 24, 2022

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I literally never use bleach in the washer, so this time I tried cleaning the filter again (same smell, and a whole feather blocking half the filter... gross but not the cause of this issue since it was like that before we got it and I've already cleaned the filter before), and now I'm doing a tub clean with bleach. I might even have to do it a couple of times. Only after Motronic mentioned bleach, did I realise I've tried baking soda and about a zillion 'washer cleaner tub clean' cycles, but no actual bleach. Looks like there's even a bleach part in the soap drawer.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We’re preparing to get our siding/roof/gutters redone, and wow there is a lot of agonizing to be done over neutral colors that’s for sure.

Takeaways from the process so far:
- I wish they made vinyl ‘shingles’ in more interesting/brighter colors. Dark blue is about as fun as it gets and that’s our 2 neighbors’ houses already.
- I wish manufacturers just had clearly labeled house pictures in their brochures or on their sites showing the colors for siding/roofs/etc.
- That second point, repeated infinitely.
- Repeating that the little old lady who hired some cowboy chucklefuck contractors to saw off old-growth decorative detailing and slap on aluminum/vinyl instead of doing a thorough repainting is at the top of my PO shitlist.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i am concerned that there is no middle ground between "frontloaders are the way and the light" and "they develop mold if you so much as make a noise in the same room"

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Well, I just noticed that our LG frontloader that smells, leaks about 2 tablespoons of water through the crack at the door every time we run it! Could be worse I suppose, but that sucks! So put that down as another issue.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Deviant posted:

i am concerned that there is no middle ground between "frontloaders are the way and the light" and "they develop mold if you so much as make a noise in the same room"

Many front loaders have two stages of closing the door. A softer way to just latch it, which isn't air tight, to allow it to breathe, and the full air tight closing for running a cycle. Look for one of those and you should be good.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

maybe i'll just get a top loader with no agitator.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I have a top loader with no agitator in my current apartment and I miss my front loader dearly.

That being said, my front loader came with a specific "self-clean cycle" button and instructions in the manual on how much of what to use for the cycle. I think we may have changed it up between bleach or vinegar depending on what we had on hand when it needed it.

At any rate, we would run the cleaning cycle whenever I would begin to faintly detect a musty smell on towels/washcloths, and the cycle would remove the issue for 4-5 months or more.

Part of that was making sure we never shut the door on the unit when not in use, too.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Alright, it's time to replace my 40 year old, rotten, mostly-holes-and-very-little-fence 5-foot fence.

I've got a 100 foot run shared with East Neighbor, a 100 foot run shared with West Neighbor, and a 100 foot run that's public land.

What thoughts and experiences have people had with approaching neighbors to split costs on the shared portions? I know one neighbor already wants to replace his fence and has told me to let him know when I want to do it too (so he wants to split cost) while the other neighbor is probably less likely to be interested.

Is 50/50 reasonable on the shared portion or is it customary to take on a bigger share since it's "my" project and I'll be the one picking materials, colors, overall costs etc?

Is it worth asking them at all, since it raises the issue of them disliking my chosen design? If I'm paying it in full I can just tell them to kick rocks (at their side of my beautiful new fence)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Alright, it's time to replace my 40 year old, rotten, mostly-holes-and-very-little-fence 5-foot fence.

I've got a 100 foot run shared with East Neighbor, a 100 foot run shared with West Neighbor, and a 100 foot run that's public land.

What thoughts and experiences have people had with approaching neighbors to split costs on the shared portions? I know one neighbor already wants to replace his fence and has told me to let him know when I want to do it too (so he wants to split cost) while the other neighbor is probably less likely to be interested.

Is 50/50 reasonable on the shared portion or is it customary to take on a bigger share since it's "my" project and I'll be the one picking materials, colors, overall costs etc?

Is it worth asking them at all, since it raises the issue of them disliking my chosen design? If I'm paying it in full I can just tell them to kick rocks (at their side of my beautiful new fence)

In my state they have to split the cost, I'm sure YMMV depending where you live though. I'm sure there's some provision if one neighbor wants some super expensive fence and the other doesn't.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My neighbor approached me and I was happy to split it. Having been on that side of the conversation I would say a good thing to do is start planning now and come to them with a solid direction and with plenty of time for them to budget for it. Nobody wants a surprise bill. To me, it should be something like 6-12 months away.

If you want some crazy design that is very expensive you might offer to pay a lot more of the cost than they will.

And as a negotiation tactic, you could say you're just thinking about it, and if they don't want to share the costs then you will probably wait another couple of years to do it. If they know you'll just pay it all anyway then why offer to pay anything? Now I am aware my neighbors know where I sleep so I was happy to pay.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
After I wrote that and read the last reply I just remembered my convo with another neighbor about a little 3' fence they want to replace, and I said "that's for sure your fence and doesn't really do anything, if you want to replace it go ahead and do whatever you want." I can't remember if I offered to pay or not... I might reopen that and ask if they could get a quote and I'll pay some at least.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You can ask but I've done a mix of replacements and new builds at three houses in the past decade and I got a neighbor to split maybe a single run?

More commonly they do not respond at all or agree to split but later develop some more exciting (wrong) feelings about where the property line is and never talk to me again or pay up. At least nobody has tried to sue me I guess?

Really just be willing to pay for whatever you want, if you are fixing a fence that's falling down your neighbors may cheap out for some BS reason but hey free fence for them they probably won't stop you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've split costs 2/2 times with 2 different neighbors, but we also are going with pretty standard fencing for our neighborhood.

You and your neighbor may or may not be shocked at the current prices of pressure-treated, redwood, or cedar fence wood, though. So keep that in mind. Whatever you paid for a wooden fence 2+ years ago has probably at least doubled.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tub update:

Only $10 above what I paid the plumber for the lovely job in tools and stuff so far.

There is no flange on this tub. I was told by the first plumber (the one who actually tried to remove the previous silicone) that jacuzzi tubs typically don’t have flanges.

Some thick boi silicone. It was like this basically all the way around. Some of this was so thick that it never cured in the middle in some spots. Also it was so thick I had tons of trouble physically cutting enough to loosen and rip it out.

The offending corner:

You can see the ancient backing rod in there. Rather than replace it the plumber just left it and caulked to it again.

You can see the original silicone that didn’t get removed that’s all yellowed. You can also see all the dust from the tile backing I assume? You can see it all adhered to the silicone the plumber put in, so he clearly didn’t clear enough out as the silicone just stuck to that. I broke out the shopvac to get what I could, and I may do more to remove more dust, just not sure what.

Silicone is out. Currently sitting with some caulk solvent to remove the residue I couldn’t scrape with a plastic spudger.

After this, it’s on to fix the hosed up grout. Looking closer this tile install is very bad. Crooked and offset in tons of places, and even bulging outward under the window. Also the grout doesn’t look sealed at all. The grout has a slightly red hue to match the tile but I couldn’t find red grout dye locally, so gonna just deal with the mismatch for now.

MrLogan posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Home Ownership: but I Really don’t wanna pay to rip all this poo poo up

I like it, but I guess I’ll clarify.

This bathroom is one of the only rooms that needed remodeling, but it’s not there yet. We’ve been in this place 11 months and already burned our first year budget. If I’m going to rip this poo poo out, I’d rather do the remodel at the same time instead of pay to rip it out twice.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sloppy posted:

In my state they have to split the cost, I'm sure YMMV depending where you live though. I'm sure there's some provision if one neighbor wants some super expensive fence and the other doesn't.

Thank you for bringing this up, because apparently my state requires it too!

Well, the law states that it should be shared equally by both property owners. They can say no, and I can sue them.

Leperflesh posted:

I've split costs 2/2 times with 2 different neighbors, but we also are going with pretty standard fencing for our neighborhood.

You and your neighbor may or may not be shocked at the current prices of pressure-treated, redwood, or cedar fence wood, though. So keep that in mind. Whatever you paid for a wooden fence 2+ years ago has probably at least doubled.

I'm bracing myself for like, $40 to $50 per linear foot. Is it going to be even more than that?!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wood prices are local. I don't know what wood costs where you live. Also labor costs are local. Also depends on height, style, slope, etc.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Silicone is out. Currently sitting with some caulk solvent to remove the residue I couldn’t scrape with a plastic spudger.

You may want to pick up an oscillating multitool and a scraper blade for it - they absolutely plow through caulk.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

You may want to pick up an oscillating multitool and a scraper blade for it - they absolutely plow through caulk.

Wouldn’t that scratch the gently caress outta the tile and tub?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wouldn’t that scratch the gently caress outta the tile and tub?

The scraper blades for this purpose are rounded/dull/smooth. If you're not doing something fantastically stupid with them the won't cause damage.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My neighbor and I were thinking of putting a fence up, though we might do a row of bushes instead. Wonder how that works. Gotta do some reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

The scraper blades for this purpose are rounded/dull/smooth. If you're not doing something fantastically stupid with them the won't cause damage.

This. They're also remarkably flexible, you can lean on them pretty drat hard.