Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Y’all a bunch of joyless such and suches. The mobile lounges whip rear end. I got to ride one a few years back moving from one terminal to another and they’re delightfully surreal supremely weird things. Sure a train or subway setup is better in most every way but what’s the fun in that?

E- They retrieved the black box of the Chinese plane that fell out of the sky earlier in the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Warbird posted:

E- They retrieved the black box of the Chinese plane that fell out of the sky earlier in the week.

drat. Is there anything these mobile lounges cannot do?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

part of the idea behind mobile lounges was to future proof for when rockets would inevitably replace airplanes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL-mjc1sgX4

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

See also Kansas City's airport which is the worst airport I've ever been to. When it was built in the 60s or whatever I'm sure it owned; get out of car, walk 50 feet, get on plane and leave.

Never flew through it before 9/11 but yeah, it's clearly a design optimized for that era. It loving sucks now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HookedOnChthonics posted:

part of the idea behind mobile lounges was to future proof for when rockets would inevitably replace airplanes

I think that everyone in the thread knows this already, but easy conversion to freight duty was touted as a major feature for the 747, because obviously there will be no need for them in passenger service once supersonics take off.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

Reminds me of when my Dad was trying to get home (to Zurich) from a business trip in the USSR around 1972.

The Moscow airport apparently had some kind of scheduling issue; he wound up on a bus with the rest of his flight, while the driver stopped a each plane on the ramp to ask, "You going to Helsinki?"

He travelled the world for thirty years,

I chose to stop reading right here. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Midjack posted:

They're the worst goddamn thing about that shithole airport.

The weird thing is the Aerotrain isn't much better. It's so damned far underground that you have to jockey up escalators with everyone else. You even have to go up two different elevators if you can't do escalators.

And it's not even a train - it's a belt-drive tram.

Also, Dulles is largely the byproduct of the black community of Willard being "eminent domained" and bulldozed off the face of the earth: https://www.loudounhistory.org/history/dulles-airport-history/

The airport that became Dulles was originally planned to be in/around Burke, VA - but there were too many white suburban families who didn't want their idyllic piece of the American Dream disturbed, so... :smith:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 24, 2022

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

HookedOnChthonics posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL-mjc1sgX4

Dream:

Reality:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I actually really like Dulles. It's brutalist as all hell and looks like it could have (and was probably designed to withstand) a nuclear bomb being dropped on it. Plus it seems like it's always dead which is weird considering it serves the sole remaining superpowers capital.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Arson Daily posted:

I actually really like Dulles. It's brutalist as all hell and looks like it could have (and was probably designed to withstand) a nuclear bomb being dropped on it. Plus it seems like it's always dead which is weird considering it serves the sole remaining superpowers capital.

it has mainly international service since its insanely inconveniently located compared to DCA. domestic service is mostly on united, a dogshit airline that smart people avoid. (i hear its a lot better now but don't care to find out!)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it has mainly international service since its insanely inconveniently located compared to DCA. domestic service is mostly on united, a dogshit airline that smart people avoid. (i hear its a lot better now but don't care to find out!)
Which is how you get AA pretending that DCA has the room to be a commuter hub and the hell that is 35X.

Adding metro access won't change how far out there IAD is, but it would at least make it less inconvenient. I believe they're still working toward that 60-year-old goal, but aren't there yet.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’ve been through Dulles a lot since I usually traveled back to Sweden with SAS and United is part of Star Alliance. I think I even have been through the infamous 35X and I always thought the mobile lounges were a fun quirk.

Dulles doesn’t compare to JFK to me, I actively avoid that one. One time I was on a bus that nearly ran into a plane on the tarmac.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Which is how you get AA pretending that DCA has the room to be a commuter hub and the hell that is 35X.

Adding metro access won't change how far out there IAD is, but it would at least make it less inconvenient. I believe they're still working toward that 60-year-old goal, but aren't there yet.

The station is pretty much done but it will be some months before they open the metro service up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

david_a posted:

I’ve been through Dulles a lot since I usually traveled back to Sweden with SAS and United is part of Star Alliance. I think I even have been through the infamous 35X and I always thought the mobile lounges were a fun quirk.

Dulles doesn’t compare to JFK to me, I actively avoid that one. One time I was on a bus that nearly ran into a plane on the tarmac.

dulles is fine as an airport to connect through, it just sucks to use to actually get inside the beltway. the last thing you want to do after getting off a long international flight is get on one of those stupid mobile lounges to go through the third worst passport control in America (Miami, JFK both leading)

35X is a DCA thing, not Dulles.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Bunch of people ITT outing themselves as never having rode the mobile lounges when they were 8 years old

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dupersaurus posted:

Bunch of people ITT outing themselves as never having rode the mobile lounges when they were 8 years old

The first and only time I've been in one was earlier this year in Sweden in this absolute unit:

I think I'd definitely prefer it to having to get down the stairs and walk to a bus, though a jetway is obviously the best.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

dulles is fine as an airport to connect through, it just sucks to use to actually get inside the beltway. the last thing you want to do after getting off a long international flight is get on one of those stupid mobile lounges to go through the third worst passport control in America (Miami, JFK both leading)

35X is a DCA thing, not Dulles.

Lmao SEATAC worse than JFK

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LibCrusher posted:

Lmao SEATAC worse than JFK

I think I only entered there once and it was... fine? I don't recall it so it can't have been that bad.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

david_a posted:

Did the pilot open his window and scream "Hey rear end in a top hat, I'm taxiing here!"

Wendover productions on the present and future of Russian aviation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrTrpwzVt4g

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Arson Daily posted:

See also Kansas City's airport which is the worst airport I've ever been to. When it was built in the 60s or whatever I'm sure it owned; get out of car, walk 50 feet, get on plane and leave.

There's still a very vocal group of people that insist and will insist until the day they die that this is still a thing. And they bitch a lot about the new terminal that's being built any time it's brought up.

Like sure, you can probably do this on a tuesday at 11 am or whatever but it's still a poo poo design for modern times. And god forbid you're one of the people that gets to the airport early or have a layover of more than 6 minutes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't remember SEATAC being awful either. I even had to go between terminals for a lounge and it wasn't too painful.

God drat houston and that little disneyland people mover in the basement was something though. Every 10 minutes or some drat thing and jammed packed to the gills with people being assholes cramming in like a tokyo subway, but without the skill. I almost punched some gently caress in the face because he was ramming his suitcase in right up into my mother in law that was traveling with me so he could fit in with his 4 suitcases.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Arson Daily posted:

The mobile lounges were a product of that bygone age when you could show up for a flight like 7 minutes before it took off and just get on that bitch. See also Kansas City's airport which is the worst airport I've ever been to. When it was built in the 60s or whatever I'm sure it owned; get out of car, walk 50 feet, get on plane and leave.

quote:

Many design decisions were driven by TWA, which envisioned the facility as its hub, with 747s and Supersonic Transports whisking people from America's heartland to all points on the globe.

TWA insisted on "Drive to Your Gate" with flight gates 75 feet (23 m) from the roadway (signs along the roadway showed the flights leaving each gate).

The terminals turned out to be unfriendly to the 747 since passengers spilled out of the gate area into the halls. When security checkpoints were added in the 1970s to stem hijackings, they were difficult and expensive to implement since security checkpoints had to be installed at each gate area rather than at a centralized area. As a result, passenger services were nonexistent downstream of the security checkpoint in the gate area. No restrooms were available, and shops, restaurants, newsstands, ATMs or any other passenger services were not available without exiting the secure area and being re-screened upon re-entry.

Shortly after the airport opened, TWA asked that the terminals be rebuilt to address these issues. Kansas City, citing the massive cost overruns on a newly built airport to TWA specification, refused, prompting TWA to move its hub to St. Louis.

:lol:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Well maybe I haven’t been through Gate 35X; I think I’m remembering the JFK shuttle between terminals 2 & 4 (the very one that almost hit a plane). You have to go down to a little dingy waiting room right?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy poo poo, that's even worse.

Still gently caress that airport.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

david_a posted:

Well maybe I haven’t been through Gate 35X; I think I’m remembering the JFK shuttle between terminals 2 & 4 (the very one that almost hit a plane). You have to go down to a little dingy waiting room right?

the boarding areas for the JFK shuttles are like actually outside mostly

gently caress that thing in the ear

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

That’s loving amazing

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mr. Jobbo_Fett has been posting book excerpts on Russian aircraft in the CW thread. Here are links and my personal favorite revelations from them:

A-50/A-100

quote:

A-50U: Mid-Life upgrade to start in 1990 but put on hold and restarted in 2000. Uses Shmel-M radar, which can allegedly detect up to 150 targets at a distance of 600km. The new system boasts digital signal processing instead of analogue, weighs far less, and is more reliable. Other improvements include LCD monitors to replace the CRT versions, as well as changes to navigation and communication systems. Unlike the basic A-50, the modernised A-50U has crew rest compartments, a galley, and toilet. The aircraft retains the same D-30KP2 engines. The only external difference between the A-50 and A-50U is the absence of auxiliary fins near the main landing gear nacelles. (These fins are intended to protect the radar against signals reflected from the ground.)

Su-24M

quote:

Su-24 SVP-24: An upgrade developed by Gefest & T Company in response to experience in Chechen campaign, as Su-24s were hampered by low accuracy of navigation system and long time needed for mission planning/data input. Work started in 1996, finally accepted by Russian Air Force in 2008. The SVP-24 is a low-cost and effective upgrade that greatly enhances the accuracy of the navigation system and enables free-fall bombs to be delivered with the accuracy of smart munitions. The major change revolves around the new SV-24 computer that replaces the Orbita, and a new SRNS-2 radio navigation system coupled with an A737 satellite receiver. Also included is a new Obzor-RVBT signal-processing module, increasing search range by 40-50 percent. New OR-4TM to replace radar's old CRT screen [OR-4T]. KAI-24P HUD replaces PPV-1. The new UVV-MP pre-flight data input device now needs 5 minutes to input data rather than the 47 minutes for prior system. Gefest & T claim accuracy of unguided munitions increased by a factor of 4 to 8. Navigational accuracy increased by factor of 2 to 3. Unguided weapons can now be used during complex maneuvers, previously it required straight-line flight. Also included is adaptation of Kh-31P/A anti-radar/anti-ship missiles, the P version requiring the L-021 Ethnografia radar homing and warning pod.

MiG-29/MiG-29K - IE the naval version which is basically a different airframe which was developed in Parallel with the MiG-29 in the 1980s, abandoned then picked up again at the end of the 90s for a multirole naval fighter, which was also developed into a MiG-35 which is basically a super bug MiG 29 - which Russia did not buy. So basically the USSR developed two different fighters at the same time knowing that a more capable version was less than a decade behind, WTF, and this fighter is flown by - the Russian Navy and its zombie carrier program, I mean seriously, WTF

quote:

MiG-29S [9.13S]: Modernised with RLPK-29M radar system with N019M Topaz radar and ts-101M computer. Radar range is slightly increased (70 to 80km for targets with radar cross-section of 3m squared). The fighter is adapted to use the newer R-77, R-27T, and R-27RE/TE AAMs. The first full MiG-29S prototype flew on 23 December 1990.[u] In 1991, 16 MiG-29S fighters were the last MiG-29s bought by the Russian Air Force for almost 20 years.[/u]

Mi-26

quote:

Production & Operators:
Series production began in 1980, replacing the Mi-6 on the production lines at Rostov-on-Don. First production vehicle flew on 25 October 1980, second flown in 1981, with 1982 seeing series production of a batch of 11 helicopters. Production up to 2014 was around 330 helicopters. Peak production was in 1990 with 40 per year. Production nose-dived in the mid-90s and would complete an average one(!) per year for the next 15 years, almost exclusively for the export market. The Russian Air Force would order new helicopters in 2011, for a batch of 18 examples, with delivery completed in September 2014.

It is expected that the Russian Air Force will purchase another 20 [c.2015], perhaps comprising the Mi-26M version. However, further production of the Mi-26 is under serious doubt after Ukraine terminated any military cooperation with Russia.
The Mi-26 is powered by D-136 engines Made In Ukraine, and this is the only powerplant option.

[c.2015] Of the 330 Mi-26s built, about 110 to 115 are currently in service. The Russian Air Force operates some 40 Mi-26s, included the latest deliveries; about 50 non-airworthy helicopters are to be found on various airfields.

Almost unaltered for 30 years, the Mi-26 as currently [c.2015] manufactured has some weak points. The three most important are the various assemblies' short times between overhauls, obsolete engines, and dated analogue equipment. Mi-26 rotor blades have a service life of 1,000 - 1,200 hours. Main Gearbox and Transmission service life is 3,000 [with an overhaul after every 600 hours]. The airframe has a service life of 3,000 hours, with tests attempting to increase this to 6,000 hours. The service life of the D-136 engines is 6,000 hours / 7,500 cycles.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the boarding areas for the JFK shuttles are like actually outside mostly

gently caress that thing in the ear

Does anyone else remember CVG’s concourse C?

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Does anyone else remember CVG’s concourse C?

the pole barn in the middle of the tarmac for the commuter planes? yep

also gently caress kmci

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

To get to the weird forgotten comair terminal you had to go outside to catch the buses. Iirc the C concourse didn’t even have an overhang so it could rain on you?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

If memory serves T dub got STL to build runway 11/29 and then went the gently caress out of business leaving that airport a ghost town until southwest moved in in the mid oughts. This makes legacy airlines a notch just below NFL teams as the greatest wasters of local taxpayer money I believe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PY(Least)F terminal:

CDG 2G. the navette jaune can loving kick rocks

Arson Daily posted:

If memory serves T dub got STL to build runway 11/29 and then went the gently caress out of business leaving that airport a ghost town until southwest moved in in the mid oughts. This makes legacy airlines a notch just below NFL teams as the greatest wasters of local taxpayer money I believe.

this was after successfully extorting KC to build MCI, then unsuccessfully trying to extort KC to replace MCI immediately after it opened because of changes in security requirements making the layout unworkable.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Curious about how the finances worked on those, because Continental got CLE to build a commuter flight terminal which has now been empty for 8 years after the United merger, but United is on the hook to continue paying it off. I'm having a hard time believing a government body in Cleveland did something right.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Obligatory “LaGuardia, all of it”. (Though last time I went through there it’s upgraded to “meh”)

There’s so many terrible old terminals forgotten to time. For example terminal A at MSP.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Milwaukee has a huge amount of gate space that's just sitting around unused to the point where they've removed the jetways. Pittsburg is similarly huge and empty but since it's all one building you can just claim an entire gate area to yourself like some minor lord failson while you wait for your flight to somewhere that's not Pittsburg.

Edit: new la garbage terminal is actually really great. Far far FAR better than the old piss soaked bus terminal they used to have. It still sucks getting in and out of that airport, though, but that won't change until NYC bulldozes JFK, LGA and EWR and builds the new NYC monsterplex in the Bronx or the pine barrens.

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 25, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You can’t get rid of EWR though, it’s the one with good transit connections!

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

That sounds like the SJU commuter gate which Prinair (and later American Eagle) used for like all of their flights out of SJU

the rest of the terminal? modern, bright, cool and airy. Descend the steps the the commuter gate and boom! welcome to 1970. Old fixtures and furniture, stained ceiling tiles, dirty & cracked flooring. Food & drink? A/C? lol gently caress you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pittsburgh airport is currently starting a $1.1 billion renovation that's to going to ultimately shrink the airport down, eliminating the seperate landside and airside terminal and getting rid of a bunch of gates.

Similarly on how TWA influenced the design of other airports, US Air kinda hosed the airport over by abandoning it as a hub in 2004 since a lot of the gate capacity was built with that in mind. This renovation is a refactor of the design that should allow for more efficient operations. The renovation was being billed as an "Airport built for travelers, not US Air."

9/11 was also really detrimental to the airport since the airside terminal was supposed to be a just a general mall for the area. After 9/11 you couldn't get back there unless you had a boarding pass, so that killed casual foot traffic to the businesses in the airside terminal. As of 2017, you are allowed past security without a boarding pass again

One kinda cool thing, as of last year the airport is on its own micro-grid powered by solar and natural gas generators fueled by on-site wells. It has compete energency independence from the local energy grid which is only used as a backup. Important thing to take note of for future post apocalyptic stronghold location scouting.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you really want to see an airport hosed over by losing its hub status go to Memphis. It’s so sad these days.

Cincinnati at least was able to close off most of the unused gates so it’s not as abandoned feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

hobbesmaster posted:

If you really want to see an airport hosed over by losing its hub status go to Memphis. It’s so sad these days.

They're still the biggest cargo hub in the US and an ANG base; it's just passenger operations that have tanked.