Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Which in essence makes the situation less shaky, right?

Theoretically, it should be a bad sign that they're shouting this out in public rather than having "red telephone" conversations, which apparently the Russians have refused recently. But this is a silly thing to speculate about since it's not like anyone wants to publicize too much about what's happening diplomatically behind the scenes (and what isn't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Rappaport posted:

Theoretically, it should be a bad sign that they're shouting this out in public rather than having "red telephone" conversations, which apparently the Russians have refused recently. But this is a silly thing to speculate about since it's not like anyone wants to publicize too much about what's happening diplomatically behind the scenes (and what isn't).

The thing that gets me is that apparently the same guy who's claiming that the U.S. said they're definitely entering the war if that happens thinks no red line should be set at all and that if a tactical nuclear weapon did get used only in Ukraine, the fallout wouldn't spread elsewhere

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1506851430417805313

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1506856283944726528

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

Shoigu got killed in Ukraine and Putin is too embarrassed to admit it

Shoigu died on the way back to his home planet

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

KitConstantine posted:

Hmmm now Russia is pissing off private rail freight operators.
https://twitter.com/akihheikkinen/status/1506975933797916674?s=20&t=HbWveFsPj-JG1Kf7x_BHqQ

Machine translation from the article:

Unsurpisingly, the article also has quotes from private rail operators that are shocked and unhappy about the above messaging. They also assert that they did in fact have to pay real money for their rail equipment.

Something to watch.

What this article says to me is "Holy poo poo we are desperate for logistical assets right now even within Russia proper." Which in turn suggests that yes, the logistical issues aren't just an issue of trucks on the front line, the Russians are really having to scramble to pull things together from across the country.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean there is a pretty clear redline there and my guess is this is more directed at moscow then US/domestic. "don't be a dipshit and nuke anything or else it starts bad poo poo" is an ok redline.

I've always been under the impression that this is the case. "We have to keep <x> from getting nuclear weapons" is a way of keeping a country from having nukes as capital for negotiations. Actually using them though basically means you've got the world up your rear end by next meal.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GABA ghoul posted:

Shoigu got killed in Ukraine and Putin is too embarrassed to admit it

He’s not actually a general or any sort of military guy, apparently. He’d never go near a front line.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Has there been any action reports of how well the Starstreak works in the field?

I know UK MoD is very proud of it, and it sounds like it'll trash any jet or plane that gets hit with it, but getting hits in the first place with it sounds...difficult.

Not that I know of from the Ukrainian theatre. I’m not certain if we even have on-the-ground confirmation of Starstreak entering service.

Barrel Cactaur posted:

That is definitely Arma 3, but with some really decent mods. The dead giveaway is the smoke ring at impact and the prefab build tower in the background.

E: Other things that stand out, the body has no internal momentum, I'm sure you can see in enough of the real combat footage that they usually twist to the side and then turn over when destroyed. ARMA helicopters tend to just tilt forward. Real helicopters tend to go down bathing themselves with flames, Arma ones get a black soot texture plastered on the sides but otherwise look clean.

I see, cheers. Yeah, I got dipped off by uncanny debris physics, and the tower shadow that felt oddly familiar, and out of place for Ukraine.

Tomn posted:

Have we considered the possibility that Putin hasn't actually done anything to Shoigu yet, the dude's just spending his days getting completely and utterly blackout shitfaced due to the stress of dealing with the war and worry about what Putin MIGHT do to him?

It is an option, but I strongly doubt that Putin is letting Shoygu wallow in just his own misery.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Barrel Cactaur posted:

That is definitely Arma 3, but with some really decent mods. The dead giveaway is the smoke ring at impact and the prefab build tower in the background.

E: Other things that stand out, the body has no internal momentum, I'm sure you can see in enough of the real combat footage that they usually twist to the side and then turn over when destroyed. ARMA helicopters tend to just tilt forward. Real helicopters tend to go down bathing themselves with flames, Arma ones get a black soot texture plastered on the sides but otherwise look clean.

Also the stock Arma 3 buildings within the town. The video quality masks some of the more obvious tells, but every single sufficiently lit building and the cargo crate tower silhouette in the background is easily identifiable as Arma assets for anyone who has played the game at all.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
There is no tactical or strategic reason for Russia to use nukes in Ukraine. So does that mean they won't? You will have to ask Putin. If they did it would be a giant FU to the West and NATO, and would in turn warrant a equally appropriate response.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Kikas posted:

Wow, the clouds, and the fact the smoke from the first impact is moved by the next helicopter passing through it are some seriously impressive work. I remember cloud tech was a selling point for Arma 3, but the dynamic smoke blows me away.

But yeah other than anything, the way the camera moves and zooms is a dead givaway - I can practially hear the scroll wheel in those zooms.

That smoke being affected by the downwash of helicopters looks seriously cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0huJAgnTnwk&t=1508s

It's honestly no surprise that Arma constantly gets mistaken for real footage. All you have to do is hide the UI and make it grainy so the dodgier details are hidden.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Biden and Scholz both went out of their way to say that there will be no NATO intervention in Ukraine, so before Putin gets the idea to commit even more heinous crimes its important to reaffirmed that there are indeed red lines that could force NATOs hand. That's all this tactical nuke talk is about.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

KitConstantine posted:

Russians sending more targets wait I mean generals into Ukraine. On the western Kyiv front even!
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1506960549703303175?t=2-MI0uFwhyDTDUzdYw0kUg&s=19

*Ahem* :lol:

"Good morning 47. Your target is Colonel-General Alexander Chayko...

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tomn posted:

What this article says to me is "Holy poo poo we are desperate for logistical assets right now even within Russia proper." Which in turn suggests that yes, the logistical issues aren't just an issue of trucks on the front line, the Russians are really having to scramble to pull things together from across the country.

If road and rail cargo from EU, namely Finland and Baltics, becomes impossible due to embargo combined with the problem that the western shipping industry didn't want to use Russian ports even before the war due to constant theft of more valuable containers, St. Petersburg is suddenly very, very far away from everything. It will be a nightmare to switch everything to be sent by rail, road or via shipping routes not going through the EU.

That is going to be a huge burden on the Russian rail and road networks from the directions they were not built for. Even if they had the trains and trucks to implement it.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Zelensky is spoke to NATO and frankly he earned the right to make this dig
https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/1506966324244791297?s=20&t=37Uk61SgNc_BGY0fqswefw

Edit: Corrected timing and now with video:
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1506980179335335937?s=20&t=37Uk61SgNc_BGY0fqswefw

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My big takeaway from this war is that I should probably try playing Arma 3

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Snowy posted:

arma 3 is two hours of setup followed by twenty minutes of fun

but the twenty minutes are pretty good

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deviant posted:

arma 3 is two hours of setup followed by twenty minutes of fun

but the twenty minutes are pretty good

Can you run it properly on a 3090 at least?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Snowy posted:

My big takeaway from this war is that this must be how the cold war felt to people back in the early 80s.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Can you run it properly on a 3090 at least?

let the record show the witness made the 'ehhhhhh' hand-wave motion

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Snowy posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963510

Come this way goon sir we can always use more people.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Snowy posted:

It’s much less fun than it looks and the community is cringe, who want to speak in military code and say things like roger and copy that and make clans with their military ranks and poo poo. Honestly it’s insufferable.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ethanol posted:

It’s much less fun than it looks and the community is cringe, who want to speak in military code and say things like roger and copy that and make clans with their military ranks and poo poo. Honestly it’s insufferable.

counterpoint: if the goons find out you've never played before, they'll make you be commander just to watch everything spiral hilariously out of control

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

mobby_6kl posted:

Shoigu died on the way back to his home planet
Shoigu is suffering from acute-onset cranial lead poisoning

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I get this need to get DCS, and relive Flanker 2.5 days

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963510

Come this way goon sir we can always use more people.

Oh god, I'm having flashbacks to playing mCTI in Op:Flashpoint.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ethanol posted:

Seems like it would be appealing to a lot of people itt tbh

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Deviant posted:

counterpoint: if the goons find out you've never played before, they'll make you be commander just to watch everything spiral hilariously out of control

I didn't realize that the Russian invasion was a goon project, but in retrospect it only makes sense

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Deviant posted:

Wasn't interested before, but honestly now I'm tempted just for that.

Zephro posted:

Shoigu is suffering from acute-onset cranial lead poisoning

When a random zoom video of him shows up in a weeks time of him saying a generic sentence or two, how wrong you'll know you were about thinking he's currently dead!

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 24, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Quorum posted:

I didn't realize that the Russian invasion was a goon project, but in retrospect it only makes sense

Groverkrieg

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Grouchio posted:

My big takeaway from this war is that this must be how the cold war felt to people back in the early 80s.

Not having lived during the Prague Spring, Hungary 1956 or the Cuban Missile Crisis but having endured the 1980s, this isn't quite right. This is way hotter and direct and worrisome than what I remember.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

If road and rail cargo from EU, namely Finland and Baltics, becomes impossible due to embargo combined with the problem that the western shipping industry didn't want to use Russian ports even before the war due to constant theft of more valuable containers, St. Petersburg is suddenly very, very far away from everything. It will be a nightmare to switch everything to be sent by rail, road or via shipping routes not going through the EU.

That is going to be a huge burden on the Russian rail and road networks from the directions they were not built for. Even if they had the trains and trucks to implement it.

Did someone say...road cargo?
https://twitter.com/akihheikkinen/status/1506978253818507273?s=20&t=37Uk61SgNc_BGY0fqswefw

quote:

Russian road carriers may face difficulties in updating the fleet of semi-trailers and main tractors, follows from a survey conducted by Kommersant among carriers and market participants. The deficit is felt due to the impossibility of European manufacturers to supply new tractors and semi-trailers to Russia, says Eduard Mironov, director of purchasing transport services at FM Logistic in Russia.

Domestic manufacturers use foreign components, some of which are also supplied intermittently, Mr. Mironov adds, and uncertainty with the supply of spare parts, an increase in the cost of a standard hour of work, as well as the total cost of ownership after a change in the exchange rate may lead to a shortage of new semi-trailers and an increase in the period of use trucks.
“The current situation caught us at the peak of demand and with a huge shortage of equipment on the market,” says Tonar CEO Denis Krivtsov. He clarified that the plant still has a stock of components and is actively replacing suppliers: “We are well localized in terms of the main components, including fully providing ourselves with axles. But you still have to work now day and night to reconfigure supply chains, in this regard, April and May, when the warehouses are exhausted, will be the most difficult.
Again, the article goes in deeper on exactly what shortages are already popping up and what difficulties are staring the industry in the face. So yeah road freight is also in deep poo poo.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

a podcast for cats posted:

Hungary seems to add a serious dose of WTF in the mix. Of course I lack the context on both the Twitter rando and the people being cited, but the Hungarian election will be one to watch.

https://twitter.com/AlexanderFaludy/status/1506952893412384773

This dude is the ex director of national TV and currently "content advisor" of state controlled media. Almost a random Hungarian posting poo poo on the internet.

The Hungarian army is a joke. Don't forget the drone that hit Zagreb just a week or so ago which flew in Hungarian airspace for a good 45 minutes undetected. This should tell you a lot.
I have a friend who joined the army last year to be a tank driver. He broke 2 T-72s since January this year, which sort of makes him one of the most dangerous enemies of NATO. I can't imagine how Hungary would take Zakarpattia.

Viktator however will win the elections because my nation of sheep have been heavily brainwashed and kept intentionally uneducated.

The other day the deputy prime minister of Ukraine posted this:

quote:

The way the official Hungarian leadership is treating Ukraine lately is worse than even that of some of the Russian satellite states from the former Soviet Union.
It is sure to be an unpleasant surprise, especially for the Hungarian Ukrainians, many of whom I know personally.
Hungary does not support the sanctions. They don’t provide weapons. They don’t allow transit of weapon supplies from other countries. They say "no" to virtually everything. Very little differentiates the rhetorics of the official Budapest from the openly pro-Russian position.
Why? Is that because they want Russian gas with a discount? Or maybe that is because they silently dream of our Transcarpathia?
What about the people of Hungary? Do they want to be the ones who are trying to stab us in the back while we are in plight? Why? For a bit of the Russian handout?
In this civilizational clash, Hungary is unlikely to be able to hanky-panky with the Russians and prey on the war at the same time.
Hungary should just take the right side, the one of the civilized world. No mistakes of the World War II when Hungary made the wrong choice. Yes, the right choice is always hard at first, but it is easy to live by in the future. That is exactly why that choice is right.
It of course got the appropriate Hungarian reactions mainly "Hope you all die, and nothing is left of your country" "Ukraine is not even a real country" etc, the usual. People went so far that they started posting historical maps from like the 14th century showing there is no Ukraine on it. Lovely people here, please nuke us.

Edit:

KitConstantine posted:

Hungary has not been allowing shipments to Ukraine through their territory. There were also reports from the Ukrainian government earlier this week [edit: may have been last week, it's early and I'm undercaffinated] of Russia pushing anti-Hungarian texts to Ukrainian residents in the Ukrainian part of the Transcarpathian region as a false flag.

Sounds like Hungary and Russia have been talking and Hungary is looking to get some of their own back from Ukraine if Russia takes over. Hungary is in NATO though so this kind of rhetoric seems...risky.

Hungary does not allow weapon shipments through Hungary, everything else they do.

Also only 12% of Zakarpattia are ethnic Hungarians, controlling that territory would be impossible.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 24, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Okay so I thought this was just Russian Q Anon spinning up even more
https://twitter.com/irgarner/status/1506978631804932097?s=20&t=37Uk61SgNc_BGY0fqswefw
But! Turns out part of this is coming straight from the Russian ministry of defense :lol:
https://twitter.com/DrRadchenko/status/1506977719355166726?s=20&t=37Uk61SgNc_BGY0fqswefw
What the gently caress is going on

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Eric Cantonese posted:

Not having lived during the Prague Spring, Hungary 1956 or the Cuban Missile Crisis but having endured the 1980s, this isn't quite right. This is way hotter and direct and worrisome than what I remember.

Same.
I was only a little kid for most of the 80s, and while I was afraid of nuclear war, the Cold War then really did feel very static. Plus Gorbachev never came off as a scary or evil guy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:laffo:

alex314 posted:

I get this need to get DCS, and relive Flanker 2.5 days

Wasn't there a Crimea campaign in Lock On? I remember shooting a bunch of ruskies there.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh god, I'm having flashbacks to playing mCTI in Op:Flashpoint.
ArmA is pretty good but Operation Flashpoint is still one of my all-time favorites. Just sneaking though the forests for hours to evede russian patrols, then stealing a car and booknig it back to safety. Ahh, back when this was all fantasy.

Eric Cantonese posted:

My parens (well my dad mostly) is now freaking out even about me being in Prague now. I imagine it was worse during Spring here but in the 80s Abel Archer would probably be the tenesest momemnt, but even then there wasn't a hot war in Europe.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KitConstantine posted:

Okay so I thought this was just Russian Q Anon spinning up even more
https://twitter.com/irgarner/status/1506978631804932097?s=20&t=37Uk61SgNc_BGY0fqswefw
But! Turns out part of this is coming straight from the Russian ministry of defense :lol:
https://twitter.com/DrRadchenko/status/1506977719355166726?s=20&t=37Uk61SgNc_BGY0fqswefw
What the gently caress is going on

They know what their audience likes, clearly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

ArmA is pretty good but Operation Flashpoint is still one of my all-time favorites. Just sneaking though the forests for hours to evede russian patrols, then stealing a car and booknig it back to safety. Ahh, back when this was all fantasy.

To do this properly, you need to equip Crocs.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I've read way to many "Grover predicts Iraq" style posts on Russian Telegram

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Chart from the Russian stock market opening today
https://twitter.com/SteveRattner/status/1506946760840818691?s=20&t=HbWveFsPj-JG1Kf7x_BHqQ
So things went well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

I've read way to many "Grover predicts Iraq" style posts on Russian Telegram

Wonder how many of those predictors also have a Groverhaus (Groverdacha?) Of their own