Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mystes posted:

Saying "cars aren't a replacement for 90% of people" is a dumb response even if you're car brained because (due to the way traffic works) even if you can only get 10% to bike that would massively reduce traffic for people who do drive.

"I don't WANT to replace the car. The car sucks. It is wasteful. I want something BETTER than the car."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I demand complete comfort at all times, and gently caress you for saying that's bad.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Most people are 100% unable to handle what they perceive as even the slightest criticism. When liberals hear a sentence like "when possible, people should attempt to drive less" or "when possible, people should attempt to eat less meat" they go bonkers because they've built their identity around living "the correct lifestyle." And it doesn't help that every hero built up by the media reinforces this mindset. you won't see obama, stephen colbert, or even any fictional characters in television or film telling people that they should earnestly attempt to move away from cars when possible

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Mar 23, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh yeah?? What about [edge case that doesn't describe 95% of trips]?!

Like, I gripe about cars constantly but I still own and drive one, because yeah it's a reality in most of America. I also try to drive it as little as possible. The two are not incompatible.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

mystes posted:

Saying "cars aren't a replacement for 90% of people" is a dumb response even if you're car brained because (due to the way traffic works) even if you can only get 10% to bike that massively reduces traffic for people who do drive.

also this is in DC, a compact city where bikes are absolutely a good option for way more than ten percent of people. something like a quarter of district households don't even own a car. this 90% poo poo is the last defense of the car-brained suburbanite unwilling to accept that there are already a lot of people far less car-dependent than they are

mystes
May 31, 2006

The people whining about bikes are probably commuting from Maryland or Virginia though

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh yeah?? What about [edge case that doesn't describe 95% of trips]?!

Like, I gripe about cars constantly but I still own and drive one, because yeah it's a reality in most of America. I also try to drive it as little as possible. The two are not incompatible.

No but you see what if I had to tow a horse float 1000 km?? What about when I'm buying an enormous TV and have to get it home??

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

No but you see what if I had to tow a horse float 1000 km?? What about when I'm buying an enormous TV and have to get it home??

"Why not rent the same vehicle, which would roughly cost one monthly payment of buying it if not much less?"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
NAH I'D RATHER HAVE IT

BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THAN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT HAHA

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"Why not rent the same vehicle, which would roughly cost one monthly payment of buying it if not much less?"

What I love as well is that delivery infrastructure is so prevalent. I got my TV delivered and mounted like… 3 days after purchasing it on Thanksgiving weekend. There’s not much that’s a popular consumer electronic that won’t be on your doorstep within 3-5 days from purchase.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

What I love as well is that delivery infrastructure is so prevalent. I got my TV delivered and mounted like… 3 days after purchasing it on Thanksgiving weekend. There’s not much that’s a popular consumer electronic that won’t be on your doorstep within 3-5 days from purchase.

Yeah, my local lumber place has gotten me out of the habit of buying (overpriced) wood from Home Depot. I can get any size order, from a box of nails to like enough wood to build a house, for $60 flat. it rules and has eliminated any need for "hauling" in my life

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
my favorite is the car-brains that will tell you that, yeah biking is great but once you get to <arbitrary threshold of adultness> you'll NEED a bike. I have one kid and will soon have a second and still do a big chunk of my groceries via bike and still don't own a car. the local car share has been fine for me. yeah it's a pain to get the child seat in and out when I need to but oh well. We've also been taking her on the bus since she was 2 weeks old.

plus a shitload of trips are just hauling my solitary rear end to appointments or things like that.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

mystes posted:

The people whining about bikes are probably commuting from Maryland or Virginia though

yeah i keep seeing people say that they're coming in from ten or fifteen miles away and it's like drat, good thing we built a bunch of metro lines so that suburbanites could get downtown from distances that are impractical by bike. maybe they need some more metro lines out there to reach more suburbs; i don't really know or care about the specifics of their complaints other than to say that it would be a real shame if we demolished the bridges to VA and the highways to MD so that it became a lot harder for these guys to drive in using massive SUVs and then start complaining about bikes

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
my favorite carbrain argument is the one that basically comes down to "we don't have enough public transit infrastructure, which is why we shouldn't build more public transit infrastructure"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/laternapoiss/status/1506434414900875268?t=dr8m_ANompbLWtW11mzo_Q&s=19

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

leftist heap posted:

my favorite is the car-brains that will tell you that, yeah biking is great but once you get to <arbitrary threshold of adultness> you'll NEED a bike. I have one kid and will soon have a second and still do a big chunk of my groceries via bike and still don't own a car. the local car share has been fine for me. yeah it's a pain to get the child seat in and out when I need to but oh well. We've also been taking her on the bus since she was 2 weeks old.

plus a shitload of trips are just hauling my solitary rear end to appointments or things like that.

Not directly related to your point, but I've had to use a car share occasionally and the last couple of times the cars have been in rough shape. The most recent attempt had the car vibrating in proportion to its speed which made for a very short attempt to take it on the highway. Guessing the car share company had to make a choice between maintaining the cars or earning more money.

Not saying much here beyond cars are terrible and it's my fault for trying to use one.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

leftist heap posted:

my favorite is the car-brains that will tell you that, yeah biking is great but once you get to <arbitrary threshold of adultness> you'll NEED a car.

also to the extent that this is true - to the extent that there are a lot of places where people move once they have kids that basically enforce complete car dependency - i don't think they understand that this is exactly what we're pointing at and calling a major problem. the whole point is that most people shouldn't need one or more piece of heavy equipment per family in order to buy a gallon of milk/drop the kid off at school/go to the gym, and spending a few generations building absolutely everything to force lots of people into having to do just that leaves us with a lot of serious problems.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
yeah but have you taken the bus? it sucks! it comes so infrequently and it gets stuck in traffic and there aren't enough busses so i can't get to where i want to go. and you want more of that? pfeh!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

actionjackson posted:

do you mean that due to the noise, pollution..?

The hot-spun microplastics produced by wearing vulcanized rubber on a hard surface are the size and type most associated with the 40% decline in phytoplankton population seen in the past century.

Or: Cars are ending oxygen-breathing life

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nocturtle posted:

Not directly related to your point, but I've had to use a car share occasionally and the last couple of times the cars have been in rough shape. The most recent attempt had the car vibrating in proportion to its speed which made for a very short attempt to take it on the highway. Guessing the car share company had to make a choice between maintaining the cars or earning more money.

Not saying much here beyond cars are terrible and it's my fault for trying to use one.
it’s completely true

car share poo poo is absolutely abysmal and once the 3 month honeymoon period when they were brand new and cheap was over, it all immediately dumpstered. like okay yeah cars are absolute dogshit yet there’s enough americans who can get away carfree 98% of the year but can’t break that 2% for various reasons and carshare sucks so bad it can’t even do that one function

Freddie’s experience with zip car is about norm now: https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/zipcar-sucks-and-so-does-app-world?s=r

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Car Hater posted:

The hot-spun microplastics produced by wearing vulcanized rubber on a hard surface are the size and type most associated with the 40% decline in phytoplankton population seen in the past century.

Or: Cars are ending oxygen-breathing life

Oh so now you DON'T want all life to end? FLIP FLOPPER

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/emily_hoeven/status/1506733613617848323?t=X-_0BkYuOJHnz1u0g8iFCw&s=19

lol. not far off letting cars vote

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

loving hell

mystes
May 31, 2006

Let's just pay people to buy gas and burn it in their backyards while we're at it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i hate cars

mystes
May 31, 2006

$20,000 subsidy for every WFH person who starts commuting to the office by car again for at least 6 months

Zero gas tax as long as you buy leaded gasoline

Every time a drunk driver who has lost their license runs over a cyclist, it's automatically reinstated for a month

Zero interest government home loans to buy a new home at least 100 miles away from your place of work

$100,000 to municipalities for every mile of sidewalk they remove

mystes has issued a correction as of 22:41 on Mar 23, 2022

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I have started taking up horseback riding as part of a project to be able to comparatively analyze all the qualities of all modes of transportation.

Turns out cars are the worst!

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
So as a bus rider I get $270 worth of bus and people with cars get $400-800 for gas, lol?

mystes
May 31, 2006

TheMopeSquad posted:

So as a bus rider I get $270 worth of bus and people with cars get $400-800 for gas, lol?
Think of it as a reverse carbon tax

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mystes posted:

Think of it as a reverse carbon tax

Thanks, now I'm even angrier!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mystes posted:

Let's just pay people to buy gas and burn it in their backyards while we're at it

Believe the science

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
God forbid all the assholes who spend all day rattling my windows when they drive past in their 1,000 horsepower Challengers or M3s should have to cut back a bit on their driving time

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

zero knowledge posted:

God forbid all the assholes who spend all day rattling my windows when they drive past in their 1,000 horsepower Challengers or M3s should have to cut back a bit on their driving time

God actually does forbid that.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Man I really need to build a new velomobile. Rode my wobbly plastic pedal car to work today and it was fine on the way in but dangerous coming home in winds gusting up to 60 kph. One second you're good and the next you've blown 1m to the side and the body shell is rubbing on the wheels and hitting my feet while I'm trying to pedal.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/sunrisemvmt/status/1506331119171551244

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
drat it really sucks how most of America is forced to depend on cars

*government does something to help people during an economic crisis*

wow all these poors need to be bulldozed into the centralia fire

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

indigi posted:

love too respond to a simultaneous economic and climate crisis by throwing down subsidies to help the first crisis even if they'll make the second one worse, that's just good politics baby. seriously, it's good politics, and that's why dogshit democratic party figures from biden to newsom are looking at making fossil fuels cheaper

you could make this better by pairing it with a far greater effort to build dense housing and public transit, ban sprawl and impose far greater costs on gas guzzlers, but the dems aren't going to do that. we're just gonna do the one where we pay people to drive their cars, and we'll all pay the tab for it later

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

$400/car is the funniest loving thing. Why not pay people more the farther they live from work? Or the lower your MPG? How about a bonus payout if you don't carpool.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

indigi posted:

You could just give everyone the cash. why does car ownership result in extra allocation or resources from society? it's hard enough not being able to afford or not using a car in most places in america - don't then take a poo poo on those people in favour of the (on average wealthier) car users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

$400/car is the funniest loving thing. Why not pay people more the farther they live from work? Or the lower your MPG? How about a bonus payout if you don't carpool.

poor people taking the bus pretty much everywhere in the country and paying full fare while sunrise movement pushes to make gasoline cheaper- 'thank god the government is doing something to help people during an economic crisis'