Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I get that (and he's stupid), but from the part I quoted it sounds like the test he uses is actually harder than the standardized version anyway. Wouldn't be unusual for maths teachers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for telling my roommate not to wear outside shoes in the apartment

:murder:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for going to the grocery store in PJs?

quote:

Last week, I got surgery and was instructed to wear loose fitting clothing for the first 2 weeks. After week 1, I'm allowed to walk around, but I can't squat, stretch, run, power walk, etc. so I asked my boyfriend, Josh (he's been taking care of me), to come to the grocery store with me. Just for context, I always go out completely dressed and with my makeup on, even if I'm just grabbing the sour cream for dinner and it'll be 10 minutes.

Today, I decided to wear a long PJ shirt and wear Josh's sweatpants underneath, none of my clothes are loose enough! He took one look at me and told me to go back upstairs and change because he wasn't going to be seen with me while wearing that. I reminded him that I cannot wear tight clothes and all I have are skinny jeans. He then stomped past me and raided my closet. He pulled out a dress and told me to wear it instead. I conceded and he helped me put it on.

I started to leave the bedroom until Josh said "uh, what about makeup?"

I said "what about it? I'm not in the mood to spend an hour on my makeup when that's about all the energy I have."

We argued again and finally I told him that I didn't want to wear a dress, I was putting my original outfit back on, with flipflops and a baseball cap (I will admit, the flipflops and baseball cap was just to be petty). He can come with me, or he can stay.

He threw his hands in the air, grabbed the keys, and walked to the car without me. He sat in the car waiting for me to shuffle over to it. We didn't say anything the entire drive. At the grocery store, he gave me short replies and, to his defense, grabbed what I needed from the shelves. Josh has been adamant of doing everything for me until I'm healed

We ran into a friend of his from high school. The friend asked how I was, and I mentioned the surgery and how Josh was taking care of me. His friend teased him (in good fun) about being my nurse. I laughed and we moved on after a couple minutes of catching up. Josh was completely fuming

Josh started to quietly, but sternly, tell me that this is why I didn't want me looking like I did meth as a hobby (?) and I need to start dressing better. The argument never reached a resolution, but my mom came for dinner that night and asked why we weren't being as cuddly as usual. After the story, my mom rolled her eyes and told me that I was being dramatic, and I needed to suck it up because its 2 tiny incisions. My boyfriend said "See? I told you." and was as happy as ever, as if our argument had been resolved. I still think I was in the right.

AITA for wearing PJs or should I just let it go and apologize?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Dump your boyfriend and your mom.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

WIBTA if I told my wife I don’t want to go workout with her after she beat me in a boxing match?

quote:

My[27M] wife[27F] and I workout together, but I I’ve been working out a fair bit less since I’ve recently created a startup company. We also occasionally go boxing at the same place where we workout and while we don’t try to hurt each other, the matches are still pretty competitive. In the past, I’ve been able to win, but yesterday, my wife actually beat me.

Some assholes started heckling me and my wife just told me to ignore it, but I could tell that she was really happy she beat me. Honestly I don’t want to workout anymore with her since I just feel like our relationship dynamic has changed completely. I know that if I trained more and spent more time working out, I’d win boxing matches against my wife, but I just can’t do that right now since I’m really loving busy, and until I’m not so busy I don’t want to workout or box with my wife anymore. WIBTA?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

WIBTA if I told my wife I don’t want to go workout with her after she beat me in a boxing match?

Lmfao. God i cant get enough of the ":airquote:emasculated:airquote: baby man"-type of post

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Soylent Pudding posted:

now thats what i call a manlet

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Soylent Pudding posted:

yeet :weed:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

limp_cheese posted:

I wonder how long this will last before the thrill of finally getting one over on his bitch of an ex-wife fades and he dumps the kid.

Of course its entirely possible Dan is raising a monster of a child that thinks that prank is a good thing and is insulated from consequences as they grow closer as father and son like he always wanted.

Either way the kid is 18 and there really isn't much the mom can do.

it's been a year, it's possible that the father loves his son and enjoys living w and raising him .... Shocking I know.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Biplane posted:

Lmfao. God i cant get enough of the ":airquote:emasculated:airquote: baby man"-type of post

Lol they’re just :discourse: aren’t they. What the hell is wrong with men.

I also can’t imagine my wife in surgery recovery and me not just saying “I’ll go to the shop, you relax”, never mind badgering her to put on make up. :murder:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for asking a student to not use “anime voice” in my classroom?

quote:

I’m 28 (nb) and a new professor at an art college. I teach core classes about politics, sociology, and anthropology. Most teaching evals, feedback from my dean and chair, and students feedback give me high ratings in creating a safe environment for discussion. Students say I do a good job relating to students from different views, backgrounds, and expressions.

This is something I take seriously—especially as one of the only (that I know of) out non-binary professors at the college. I also take it seriously as someone who firmly believes in the integrity of the classroom. And empowering students to have hard discussions.

I make it a point to never complain about students. Even when they say something transphobic. I politely encourage them to learn and I’m rated as pretty gentle about getting them to think another way.

Recently, I had one of my most uncomfortable teaching experiences which seems silly. I had a student who is not from Japan, never spent time in Japan, but loves anime and used a hypersexual, over exaggerated, baby like voice known as “anime voice”.

She took on what she perceives as a Japanese name and I just really acted over excited over the top constantly.

As someone who has had women students from Japan, I felt like it was at least mildly racist and just cringe for everyone to listen.

I pulled her into a convo and tried to let her see how I at least saw it. And she has since retaliated saying I don’t respect the accents or names of students.

This hurts. Admittedly, I’m a white professor but this student is not Asian. I suspected she might be on the spectrum so I tried to be gentle but firm but as an autistic person, autism is not an excuse for inappropriate behavior.

She reported me as an unsafe professor which I feel like ruins it for the international students I teach, whose names I pronounce correctly, whose accents I support, and the LGBT+ students who get to have an out non-binary professor for the first time.

The admin is mostly white and they kept asking “are you sure she isn’t from Japan?” And I’m like yes, 1. This is not how people from Japan talk 2. She did a project about where she is from and she admitted to never spending time in Japan.

As an anthropologist, I feel it’s deeply irresponsible for her to use this voice. And since it is perceived as hypersexual, it made me super uncomfortable. I’m not sure how other students felt because I didn’t want to give her any attention over it.

People have suggested I was too harsh. That people can take on the names and accents they want to. Am I the a**hole here?

edit: she has audibly moaned a couple times. The second time is when I pulled her aside before class (before many other students were there). I also have a class full of anime fans and people who love the subculture in the class. I’m also feminine/queer presenting and AFAB, so it made me uncomfortable how she would also compliment me in the voice or say how much she loved my dresses. Other students have complimented my fashion but not like this. Something was off about it.

Second edit: I’ll take comments stating “YTA” that’s why I’m here to learn. But comments questioning whether or not I’m trans or I experience transphobia isn’t okay. I’m read by society as a male because I’ve taken hormones for years. Had surgeries. Not that I need to explain this to somehow justify this students behavior or explain what others have pointed out: the class is being sexually harassed.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ok which goon is the annoying weeb?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

Ok which goon is the annoying weeb?

https://youtu.be/TzXdBdHwwYQ

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Play that anime con video before every class and stare at the weeb.

"GERUGAMESH!"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

datajugend posted:

Play that anime con video before every class and stare at the weeb.

"GERUGAMESH!"

SAKURA-CON IKIMASU!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I just learned about r/amithecloaca

AITC for bite feet?

quote:

I am cat 11 years old. Sometimes when I'm on the bed I see feet and I bite. I am torn on this; one one hand bite is bad, but on the other hand I am a Cat and I saw the feet.

AITC?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Soylent Pudding posted:

wtf lol what good could come from boxing your wife/husband

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Well normally I win, you see.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The guy should box with her again, pretend to get hurt and then as a surprise loving wail on her with all his might. If he beats her everyone will be really impressed and he'll get to save face.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Soylent Pudding posted:

I just learned about r/amithecloaca

AITC for bite feet?

Well crap, now I need to make a Reddit account...

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Not everybody has such a fragile ego. Some people can play sports with their spouse and have fun doing it (for example, probably, the wife in this scenario).

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
He could only enjoy himself as long as he consistently beat his wife. What's unhealthy about that???

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Stab posted:

Not everybody has such a fragile ego. Some people can play sports with their spouse and have fun doing it (for example, probably, the wife in this scenario).

There are sports and then there's pummeling your loved one in hand to hand combat. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I wouldn't want to hit my partner or have them hit me.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i'm pretty sure my wife could kick my rear end, she's tiny but she's scrappy

it actually owns, idk what that guys problem is

edit: we've never actually fought, this is all hypothesizing

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
"When did you stop beating your wife?"

"Today..."

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

There are sports and then there's pummeling your loved one in hand to hand combat. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I wouldn't want to hit my partner or have them hit me.

Being fair, boxing actually is a sport, with rules and points and safety gear if you feel like using it. You’re not gonna have knock down drag out street fights happening in a gym.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

You don't spar hard very often in boxing. Sparring, if it's done right, is light and preferably with headgear. It's actually a lot of fun. You work technique and footwork and tricks and just do the poo poo you know. Going hard is a great way to get tossed from a gym or the living poo poo beat out of you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm really, really tired of people using "I feel unsafe" as this magical incantation that instantly makes them the center of the universe.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Next time the husband should enter the ring and scream "NO HOLDS BARRED" while making GBS threads his trunks as hard as he can.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

"When did you stop beating your wife?"

"Today..."

Lol

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Help! My Friends Let Me Live Rent-Free, but I’m Disgusted by What They Do Around the House

quote:

Dear Prudence,

I’m in a difficult situation. I lost my job as a result of my boyfriend showing up at my workplace and behaving crazily, then I lost my home when I finally broke up with him after realizing I’ve been dealing with years of emotional and financial abuse from him. My friends “Charlotte” and “Jane,” a married couple, have been lifesavers and invited me to stay in their spare room while I get back on my feet. I want to be clear that I am incredibly grateful to them. However, I am starting to lose my mind living with them, and need advice on how to cope until I’ve got new work and can get out of here.

Out and about, they never display physical affection and don’t act “couple-ish” in general. In their house, however … oh my god, it is nauseating. I’d never stayed with them long enough for them to start acting the way they must do normally when on their own before this, so I had no idea that they kiss and cuddle ALL THE TIME, call each other cutesy nicknames (“doll”, “sweetness” etc.), and have about a dozen stupid rituals. For example, Charlotte always cooks a huge breakfast for Jane on Saturday, and Jane prepares some over-the-top romantic meal for them on Sunday, complete with candles. They buy each other flowers so often that the place is like a greenhouse. They complement each other multiple times a day (think “You look gorgeous!” and “You look so hot in that!”). I have walked in on them literally waltzing around the kitchen on more than one occasion, although at least they stop that when I come in.

I’m not a big PDA person anyway, but I am especially not feeling romantic vibes at this time in my life. I went the last three years taking “compliments” from my ex-boyfriend such as “you look less fat in that” and had flowers bought for me exactly once, when he was apologizing for cheating. Watching Charlotte and Jane gushing about one another and waltzing around is both upsetting and aggravating. I once made a comment to the effect of, “Could this level of romance be moved to the bedroom, maybe?” and Jane responded by saying I was free to go to my room if it bothered me. When I mentioned to Charlotte (who I’m closer to than Jane) that it’s hard for me being around intense couple stuff at the moment, she was more understanding and dialed things back for a few days. Then Valentine’s Day came and, well, you can imagine. Everything reset and the place was full of roses for a week.

The last time I snapped and made what I’ll admit was an unproductive comment about feeling like I was living in a romcom, Jane basically called me homophobic for telling a gay couple to dial back their affection for my comfort. I defended myself that I would feel exactly the same if I was around a straight couple like this, but I ended up apologizing when Charlotte started crying—she has dealt with a lot of homophobia from family and was once assaulted for kissing a girlfriend in public, so I appreciate this is a sensitive topic for her. Nonetheless, I hate living like this. We’ve made up now and they’re back to their usual loved-up selves. I know I just need to move out ASAP, but can you advise on 1) how to deal with this without starting another fight until then, and 2) whether there is anything else I can possibly say to them about this?
— Not Feeling the Love

quote:

Dear Not Feeling the Love,

You know that room they’re letting you stay in for free? Go into it and close the door behind you. This is the part of Charlotte and Jane’s house where you get to control what you see and hear, and where you can reasonably ask people to stop behaviors that annoy you. When it comes to the rest of the home: Mind your own business! You have absolutely no right to raise this with them again, and if you hate living like this, you know what to do: Live somewhere else.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

*deep breath*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

No, I'm in Texas as well. Those are the things I was referring to if someone wanted to teach after already doing an undergrad degree and hadn't taken education classes during that time. While your point that they are inadequate preparation is certainly valid, all I was saying is it's not like math majors walk right from a college into a classroom if they haven't taken some education licensing stuff at some point.

Which is why I said

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This being a Math teacher makes me wonder if it's not the case of someone with a STEM degree being able to fast-track into teaching while postponing or downright avoiding a lot of the formal requirements.

I would appreciate you not using your expertise to outright dismiss what I'm saying just because I didn't use the specific set of words that you wanted to hear.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yes, because its the two tiny incisions in your abdomen from keyhole surgery that's the main issue with healing and not exerting yourself, not the INTERNAL TISSUE DAMAGE THAT IS A RESULT OF MAJOR SURGERY THAT YOU CAN'T loving SEE, YOU loving MORONS.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DemoneeHo posted:

Help! My Friends Let Me Live Rent-Free, but I’m Disgusted by What They Do Around the House

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

*deep breath*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Charlotte and Jane sound like absolute sweethearts.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Charlotte and Jane sound like absolute sweethearts.

They're outright saints for putting up with that bullshit.

I'm not homophobic, just a tremendous buzzkill!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

quote:

I’m not a big PDA person anyway, but I am especially not feeling romantic vibes at this time in my life. I went the last three years taking “compliments” from my ex-boyfriend such as “you look less fat in that” and had flowers bought for me exactly once, when he was apologizing for cheating. Watching Charlotte and Jane gushing about one another and waltzing around is both upsetting and aggravating.

yeah, how dare they be happy. don't they know your feelings are the only real ones?

:gaz: let a proclamation be made across the land, for all to wear clothes of mourning and annoint themselves with ash, until everything can be about me

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I thought it was going to get explicit but they're just really sweet. I'd love to live there.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Elissimpark posted:

Yes, because its the two tiny incisions in your abdomen from keyhole surgery that's the main issue with healing and not exerting yourself, not the INTERNAL TISSUE DAMAGE THAT IS A RESULT OF MAJOR SURGERY THAT YOU CAN'T loving SEE, YOU loving MORONS.

Also I am assuming because it is two keyhole scars it was laproscopic surgery which means for them to actually do the surgery they blow your stomach up like a giant balloon which is very painful to recover from.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Charlotte and Jane are relationship goals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'd be offering to help such a wonderful family and household in any way that I could, especially in return for letting me stay there. Like, how do you not pitch in for big breakfast? Especially if you're partaking? "Let's make pancakes in all kinds of shapes!"