Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
the antivaxxers have completely won, it is their world now

https://twitter.com/business/status/1506826156007464964

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

New York Times when the official U.S. covid death toll reached 100,000:

New York Times when the official U.S. covid death toll reached 1,000,000:

May 24, 2020 and March 24, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ablright: more noteworthy than eight hundred thousand peasants.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Platystemon posted:

We know she's more noteworthy than that many Iraqi children

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Platystemon posted:

"We think the price is worth it" - Madeleine Albright on killing 500,000 children in an unsuccessful attempt to cause regime change in Iraq

"AAAAAAAGH IT BURNS" - Albright, in hell

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

I'm sad because my (mild, of course!) case of COVID may be what caused my resting heart rate to now be too high to take my ADHD medication. It's cool, I didn't really love the life changing abilities to think straight, remember things, control my impulses, and understand the passage of time for the first time in my adult life, or anything. :smith:

Guess it's time to see if non-stimulant based treatments work okay for me.

My resting heart rate went up measurably during my "mild" COVID infection and then a few times during the fun delayed onset symptoms period. In every case it went back to almost normal although still a few bpm higher, but it can take a little time. Maybe it will also improve for you?

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 24, 2022

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 386 days!
seeing that im the only one of about ~30 people wearing a mask at work

I know this same experience gets shared alot here but is surreal to experience it firsthand

If I get covid from these assholes I'm creating so much fart plumes in the office

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

tuo posted:

Thanks!

Both parents actually got a pretty long sick leave, like three weeks (not the „no symptoms? Go back after five days *whipcrack). My brother decided to go back teaching as soon as he was PCR-negative two times, though, as he could handle his symptoms.

The girl also wanted to go back as soon as possible, she was not forced, neither of them. At least it made some „*shrug, we are all gonna get it anyway“-people in my greater family made rethink their opinion.

resuming activities as soon as possible exacerbates symptoms of long covid, it takes forever to fully clear the stupid infection and we clearly need all our resources going towards it in the recovery period. it's criminal that this is not widely known knowledge

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Strep Vote posted:

resuming activities as soon as possible exacerbates symptoms of long covid, it takes forever to fully clear the stupid infection and we clearly need all our resources going towards it in the recovery period. it's criminal that this is not widely known knowledge

economy

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/politicalwire/status/1506999000519659531?s=20&t=4gMHqd0vqXvkRgRNh4OUIA

its over

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

tenderjerk posted:

I know this same experience gets shared alot here but is surreal to experience it firsthand

If I get covid from these assholes I'm creating so much fart plumes in the office

I wonder if we'll be seeing a new spate of workplace shooters who get infected there and go postal about it

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/andrewlbeaton/status/1506997617049452547?s=20&t=4gMHqd0vqXvkRgRNh4OUIA

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

literally a wint post

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

we're hosed
https://twitter.com/KatherineJWu/status/1506789695409336320

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chamale posted:

lmao great how the liberal media now is condoning the whole ostrich in the sand approach to the pandemic after screeching about it non-stop in 2020.

We believe the science unlike Republicans, why is Ron Desantis trying to cover things up?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

everyone I talk to knows another wave is coming

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

etalian posted:

lmao great how the liberal media now is condoning the whole ostrich in the sand approach to the pandemic after screeching about it non-stop in 2020.

We believe the science unlike Republicans, why is Ron Desantis trying to cover things up?

“Why won’t you take your mask off like the science says to?”

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Man, it’s one thing to know in the abstract that a ton of damage is going to be done by “mild” cases before society acknowledges how bad things are, if it ever does. But seeing it start to play out in reality is something else entirely. Hospitals not requiring staff to mask, airlines probably dropping mandates soon, ensuring that all our kids in school and their families get it, etc. And always the same loving gaslighting from the same ghouls.

I don’t even know what kind of reckoning there can be if millions and millions of people are too wrecked from long covid to do anything.

Pingui posted:

Emphasized the key point of this juxtaposition.
lol that we gave that money to the Pentagon instead. Same poo poo we do every year.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

The higher level of infection for BA.2 would make another spring/summary wave inevitable.

Also most people got their booster shots over the winter, so 4 months later...

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 386 days!

euphronius posted:

What dimension are you in and can I join you there

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

euphronius posted:

Yeah, that is kinda odd. Even with the blackout by the media, I've seen more and more people say that there is going to be another wave.

And yet those same people aren't changing or doing anything differently lol

Edit: I think what changed is when Obama announced he was positive and then the outbreak in Washington D.C. was what made people rethink of Covid

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Zugzwang posted:

I don’t even know what kind of reckoning there can be if millions and millions of people are too wrecked from long covid to do anything.

Shambling zombie hordes?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One person isn’t going to do anything to stop a wave

Just enjoy the relatively low levels for now

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tenderjerk posted:

What dimension are you in and can I join you there

in said dimension, people who are "being careful" are spending an hour several times a night dining indoors next to coughing couples, taking their mask off due to perceived stigma at work, or wearing useless cloth or surgical masks that may as well say "I AM DEEPLY UNDERINFORMED" printed on the outside

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
U.S. to End Covid-19 Reimbursement Program --WSJ

Dow Jones Institutional News - Powered by Dow Jones

US | March 23, 2022 06:32am

Stephanie Armour

WASHINGTON -- Some people without health insurance will begin getting bills for Covid-19
treatments and testing after the Biden administration on Tuesday starts winding down a federal
program that reimburses providers for virus-related care for the uninsured and that officials say is
running out of funds.

The White House says it will end the reimbursement program, which started under the Trump
administration and also pays hospitals and other healthcare providers for things such as administering
Covid-19 vaccines to uninsured people, by the end of April because it is running out of money. The
administration and hospitals are urging lawmakers to approve more funding for the program. The
White House earlier this month pushed for $22.5 billion in Covid-19 funding to pay for a range of
programs, including the provider-relief funds and replenishing supplies of vaccines and antibody
drugs. Congressional Republicans have called to repurpose Covid-19 money that states haven't yet
spent, but a number of House Democrats have balked at using money promised to states.

The provider relief fund, which was created to help hospitals and community health centers seeing
decreased revenue or increased expenses because of the pandemic, was launched with more than
$100 billion in 2020, and later legislation added about $78 billion. All of the money in the provider relief
fund has been allocated, though it has not all been paid out, according to an official with the
Department of Health and Human Services' Health Resources and Services Administration.

About 50,000 hospitals, doctors and other providers have submitted claims requesting funding from
the uninsured program since April 2020, the federal official said. The program bars providers who
receive the funding from billing the uninsured for the difference between the money they get and the
costs of treatment, a practice known as balance billing.

in total, about $20 billion from the relief fund has helped cover providers' costs for administering
vaccines, testing and treatment for people without health coverage.

The administration said it will stop accepting claims for treatment and testing for uninsured people
Tuesday, and the deadline for claims for administering vaccines is in two weeks.

After that, the medical bills for uninsured Covid-19 patients will depend on each hospital's financial-aid
policy and their prices, both of which can vary widely from one hospital to another.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 386 days!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

U.S. to End Covid-19 Reimbursement Program --WSJ
Dow Jones Institutional News - Powered by Dow Jones
US | March 23, 2022 06:32am
Stephanie Armour
WASHINGTON -- Some people without health insurance will begin getting bills for Covid-19
treatments and testing after the Biden administration on Tuesday starts winding down a federal
program that reimburses providers for virus-related care for the uninsured and that officials say is
running out of funds
The White House says it will end the reimbursement program, which started under the Trump
administration and also pays hospitals and other healthcare providers for things such as administering
Covid-19 vaccines to uninsured people, by the end of April because it is running out of money. The
administration and hospitals are urging lawmakers to approve more funding for the program. The
White House earlier this month pushed for $22.5 billion in Covid-19 funding to pay for a range of
programs, including the provider-relief funds and replenishing supplies of vaccines and antibody
drugs. Congressional Republicans have called to repurpose Covid-19 money that states haven't yet
spent, but a number of House Democrats have balked at using money promised to states.
The provider relief fund, which was created to help hospitals and community health centers seeing
decreased revenue or increased expenses because of the pandemic, was launched with more than
$100 billion in 2020, and later legislation added about $78 billion. All of the money in the provider relief
fund has been allocated, though it has not all been paid out, according to an official with the
Department of Health and Human Services' Health Resources and Services Administration
About 50,000 hospitals, doctors and other providers have submitted claims requesting funding from
the uninsured program since April 2020, the federal official said. The program bars providers who
receive the funding from billing the uninsured for the difference between the money they get and the
costs of treatment, a practice known as balance billing.
in total, about $20 billion from the relief fund has helped cover providers' costs for administering
vaccines, testing and treatment for people without health coverage.
The administration said it will stop accepting claims for treatment and testing for uninsured people
Tuesday, and the deadline for claims for administering vaccines is in two weeks.
After that, the medical bills for uninsured Covid-19 patients will depend on each hospital's financial-aid
policy and their prices, both of which can vary widely from one hospital to another.

Don't boo. Vote.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

Man, it’s one thing to know in the abstract that a ton of damage is going to be done by “mild” cases before society acknowledges how bad things are, if it ever does. But seeing it start to play out in reality is something else entirely. Hospitals not requiring staff to mask, airlines probably dropping mandates soon, ensuring that all our kids in school and their families get it, etc. And always the same loving gaslighting from the same ghouls.

lol that we gave that money to the Pentagon instead. Same poo poo we do every year.

We're in a weird Wile E. Coyote running in the air period where people think things are normal. This approach will likely be validated for quite some time, as a number of people will return to normal life without any immediate consequences. Lots of people likely have legitimate antibody protection against symptomatic infections, and of those with symptomatic infection only a fraction get PASC, and of those only a smaller fraction get impacted "significantly". But the large majority of people will get away with it unharmed and see it as confirmation that they made the right decision.

Keep saying this but TBH I really do hope they're right and that PASC is somehow not as bad as the research suggests. Otherwise the long-term disease burden that is being baked into the public right now for bad reasons is staggering.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Been thinking about this video a lot lately. It was released right before the 2004 election, so while its focus is the media’s role in drumming up support for the Iraq war and other “patriotic” nightmares, the fact that you could make a few updates and it would look good as new is extremely distressing.

https://youtu.be/giaZnIr-faM

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

tenderjerk posted:

For me it's seeing people mask up to enter a bar, walk to their table, and immediately take it off. Like why did you even bother?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Multipart article I’m copying from behind a paywall

Financial aid is offered by most hospitals and is usually granted based on patient income, but hospitals largely
choose their own cutoffs for eligibility. Some states set requirements. Prices for the same services are
also sharply different across hospitals, with the uninsured often facing the highest prices.

The White House said it notified Congress in February that the fund that reimburses doctors and other
medical providers for caring for uninsured individuals would stop taking new claims in March.

Hospitals that have relied on the funding say they are still feeling the financial squeeze of the
pandemic and that more funding is needed for the uninsured program.

"We support the administration's request for additional funding to ensure that the healthcare system
has the resources it needs to continue to care for their patients, especially as we continue to manage
Covid-19 in communities across the nation." the American Hospital Association, a trade group for the
industry, said. States in the last week reported thousands more Covid-19 deaths, according to data
compiled by John Hopkins University.

An agreement between congressional Republicans and Democrats to repurpose unspent state Covid-
19 funds as part of a smaller, $15.6 billion package was recently pulled from an omnibus spending bill
after some Democrats balked at using the money originally intended for states.

Senior Senate Republicans say the administration hasn't provided enough clarity on where funding
that has already been allocated is going.

"Unless it's paid for and it's something that 10 Republicans will vote for, it's hard to see how it passes
the Senate," Senate Minority Whip John Thune (R., SD.) said recently.

Senior administration officials said Monday that they have briefed members of Congress on the status
of Covid-19 relief funding since October and held more than three dozen meetings with lawmakers
from both parties since January about the need for additional money. They said that $300 billion of the
2021 American Rescue Plan's $1.9 trillion remains unspent but that $240 billion of it has been
promised to cities and states that have built it into their budgets and that the remaining $60 billion is
intended for emergency use.

Among health systems that benefited most from the aid are safety-net hospitals in states that didn't
expand Medicaid, such as Harris Health System in Houston, which received $196 million in relief
funds for treatment of uninsured Covid-19 patients, according to government data published as of
March 3.

The cuts could prompt Harris Health to curb other services "to absorb the cost for what is a federal
responsibility." Esmaeil Porsa, the system's chief executive, said.

An estimated 9.6% of the population, or 31.1 million people, lacked health insurance in the first six
months of 2021, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The Biden administration has said that while Covid-19 cases have sharply declined, funding is needed
to prepare for future variants and continue with vaccination campaigns and other programs to protect
the public.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
everything is going to be all right

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

NeonPunk posted:

Yeah, that is kinda odd. Even with the blackout by the media, I've seen more and more people say that there is going to be another wave.

Edit: I think what changed is when Obama announced he was positive and then the outbreak in Washington D.C. was what made people rethink of Covid

There's not really a blackout. There are media stories about it, but it's being intentionally downplayed and they're shoved in with endless coverage about COVID being over for real this time. It's pretty easy to be the person who knows another wave is coming but thinks it's no big deal. After all, Omicron was fine, right? Nothing at all bad happened during the Omicron wave, so this will be the same. COVID is over.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nocturtle posted:

Keep saying this but TBH I really do hope they're right and that PASC is somehow not as bad as the research suggests. Otherwise the long-term disease burden that is being baked into the public right now for bad reasons is staggering.

I, too, wish this, but the only counters are “how many people do you know with long COVID?” and “gee it sure would be inconvenient if this were true”.

Every time there’s a number, it’s just awful.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Chamale posted:

"We think the price is worth it" - Madeleine Albright on killing 500,000 children in an unsuccessful attempt to cause regime change in Iraq

"AAAAAAAGH IT BURNS" - Albright, in hell

Just World cope

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

NeonPunk posted:

Another wave is coming and we loving love it

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The White House says the lack of new congressional funding means it won't be able to purchase a
second round of boosters for the general public, should federal regulators authorize another dose of
the vaccine. Pfizer Inc. and partner BioNTech SE have asked the Food and Drug Administration to
approve a fourth dose -- or second booster shot - for people 65 years and older, while Moderna Inc.
has sought approval for an additional booster for all U.S. adults.

Administration officials say they also expect the funding issue to impact the supply of monoclonal
antibodies. They are also closely monitoring a new variant, BA.2, that has triggered an increase in
cases overseas.

"Our concern right now is that we are going to run out of money to provide the types of vaccines,
boosters, treatments to the immunocompromised and others free of charge that will help continue to
battle" the pandemic, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Monday.

Corrections & Amplifications: States in the last week reported more than 7,500 Covid-19 deaths,
according to data compiled by John Hopkins University. An earlier version of this article included a
statement from the American Hospital Association that misstated the number of deaths as nearlv
2.000. (Corrected on March 22)

This article is being republished as part of our daily reproduction of WSJ.com articles that also
appeared in the U.S. print edition of The Wall Street Journal (March 23 2022)
(END) Dow Jones Newswires

March 23, 2022 02:32 ET (06:32 GMT)

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
goblin mode sounds pretty legit right now, ngl

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Chamale posted:

Their counter doesn't say 1M yet though. I assume their article (online only and not featured on the homepage) will be pegged to the number on their counter.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nocturtle posted:

We're in a weird Wile E. Coyote running in the air period where people think things are normal. This approach will likely be validated for quite some time, as a number of people will return to normal life without any immediate consequences. Lots of people likely have legitimate antibody protection against symptomatic infections, and of those with symptomatic infection only a fraction get PASC, and of those only a smaller fraction get impacted "significantly". But the large majority of people will get away with it unharmed and see it as confirmation that they made the right decision.

:agreed:

I don’t want to be right about this, and I hope I’m not! I would love to be able to do normal stuff again, even things as simple as going to a friend’s house without worrying whether their kids brought this poo poo home from school. But I haven’t seen much of anything that’s made me feel sanguine about the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 386 days!
I'm telling yall, republicans are going to hammer dems on doing a poor job with covid during midterms, it's suddenly going to matter if deaths start climbing and are picked up by the media

and its going to work