Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tubeless without a compressor sucks. It's messy and your hands will hurt just trying to get the tire on the wheel. But yeah if that includes tubeless valves, sealant and tape them that's not bad at all and worth it. Are the tires you have tubeless compatible/ready?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm the weirdo newbie that has a regular pump and has never resorted to an air compressor in the two times I've converted to tubeless or the other time I refreshed my already tubeless setup.

I do autographs, but refuse to sign my own posts.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

All tires are not created equal. Also wheel widths.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
I do tubeless without a compressor. Most times I can get it done with a floor pump but I ended up getting one of these a few years ago and it always works:

http://www.airshotltd.com/

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Levitate posted:

Do you mean they weren't tubeless but were setup tubeless? Or that they were never setup tubeless to begin with?

As for setup, if you have a real good pump with good airflow you might be able to set up the tires with that, or use an air compressor if you have one. That's probably the trickiest part, getting the tire set.

To be honest if you're going tubeless it's good to learn how and have the tools because you'll have to refresh the sealant at some point and if you deal with flats or tires wearing out paying the shop $40 every time is annoying.

Tubeless valve stems like Stan's are fine, Orange Seal sealant seems to seal up better than others (I tend to use the Endurance kind), watch some youtube and give it a go.

Again it's a good idea to know how it's done in case you do manage to flat out in the wilderness and need to put a tube in (always carry a tube, maybe something to boot the tire if it gashes bad enough sealant can't seal it)

Thanks. I should have been more clear: tubeless tires with tubes in them. Sounds like my current cheapo pump is going to be the weak link here.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah I mean it probably depends a bit on the kind of person you are. I don't like taking my bike to the shop for "little" things like that but for some people it's 100% worth it. I can swap a tire in a tubeless setup pretty quick now but there's some amount of dealing with the sealant mess and all that which is probably part of the learning curve. Didn't think about rim tape, it's probably not hard to get that part sorted if you have to but a lot of tubeless compatible rims will come with tubeless rim tape already.

The airshot that was linked works pretty well

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm the weirdo newbie that has a regular pump and has never resorted to an air compressor in the two times I've converted to tubeless or the other time I refreshed my already tubeless setup.

I do autographs, but refuse to sign my own posts.

I've also had no problems with just a floor pump. If there's a problem tire that wont catch, wrap a tiedown strap or strong rope tightly around it to compress it a bit so it'll seal. Old trick from seating lawn tractor tires.

A big round trashcan or a spare car tire make great bike tire workstands.

Mexican Radio posted:

It’s worth doing yourself. It’s not hard. Get one of those syringe injector tools and put the sealant through the valve stem instead of dumping it in the side. Way cleaner.

I'll 2nd this its very easy and you're doing it after you know the bead is seated.

Another tip I got was use high temp powdercoating mask tape instead of the overpriced rim tape. It's the same stuff.

Check out a bunch of youtubes. It WILL be a pain in the rear end and a learning experience the first time and you will put a tire on backwards at least once but you get the hang of it quick and then its like riding a bike!

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 24, 2022

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?

ought ten posted:

Still, I’d like to actually have tubeless tires. First, is it worth doing myself or should I just have the local shop do it ($40/wheel, they say)? And if I do it myself, which kit do people like?

It’s worth doing yourself. It’s not hard. Get one of those syringe injector tools and put the sealant through the valve stem instead of dumping it in the side. Way cleaner.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I’m getting a ripmo AF tomorrow.

Edit: unfortunately the boring color.

n8r fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 24, 2022

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mexican Radio posted:

I found it was ultimately a bit easier/quicker to dump it in the side but I'd only suggest it if you know you can easily get the tire on the rest of the way

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

n8r posted:

I’m getting a ripmo AF tomorrow.

Edit: unfortunately the boring color.

From the like 3 rides I got on mine last season, you're gonna love it

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
if you have an air compressor setting up tubeless is a piece of cake

if you don’t and it’s your first time you’re in for a messy world of pain

related:
got some new wheels for the trail pistol last night, 35mm wide vs 27mm wide, the 2.5” tires have a much nicer profile on these

and mounted an old set of 2.1” thunder burts I had laying around on the 27mm wheels, I forgot what a pain in the rear end they are to mount

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 24, 2022

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

PoorPeteBest posted:

I do tubeless without a compressor. Most times I can get it done with a floor pump but I ended up getting one of these a few years ago and it always works:

http://www.airshotltd.com/

I have the specialized version of this ("air tool blast") and it's great. It's cheaper and feels less wasteful than buying a cruddy little air compressor I have no other use for.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

related:
got some new wheels for the trail pistol last night, 35mm wide vs 27mm wide, the 2.5” tires have a much nicer profile on these

and mounted an old set of 2.1” thunder burts I had laying around on the 27mm wheels, I forgot what a pain in the rear end they are the mount

Is this after setting the bead with the compressor before the sealant goes in?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Attention mtb thread: Skibiking is good. Wheels are unnecessary. Your next NBD is postponed until fall.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Boogalo posted:

you will put a tire on backwards at least once...

Yes.... Once...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Is this after setting the bead with the compressor before the sealant goes in?

I’m lazy and just do both at the same time. Especially with a tire as lovely to mount as the thunder burt the sealant helps get it to seat.

Maxxis tires always mount up without even trying.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

e.pilot posted:

which is which here? 35 on right?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Car Hater posted:

Attention mtb thread: Skibiking is good. Wheels are unnecessary. Your next NBD is postponed until fall.

I've always wanted to try but don't have any friends with one

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bottom Liner posted:

which is which here? 35 on right?

yep

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ought ten posted:

Thanks. I should have been more clear: tubeless tires with tubes in them. Sounds like my current cheapo pump is going to be the weak link here.

If you don’t get enough flow rate, you can try unscrewing the valve core to maximize air supply. Playing with how the tire contacts the rim can help seal up the leakiest part. Pump with one hand and rotate the wheel around, nudge the tire carcass, lean the wheel over, etc.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

I have the specialized version of this ("air tool blast") and it's great. It's cheaper and feels less wasteful than buying a cruddy little air compressor I have no other use for.

Most of my former air tools are on batteries now so I got rid of my compressor and bought a cheap, quiet baby one ($120 iirc). It's great for airing up car tires and blowing out the garage too. Would probably also be fine for an air nailer but again I'd rather just buy a battery version at this point. The airshot things are a one trick pony IMO and I'd rather have the other thing that has some more potential use. They also seemed expensive for what you get too. Just my 2 pennies.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm off to Dyfi Bike Park tomorrow, the weather couldn't be more perfect and I am HYPE.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

e.pilot posted:

related:

and mounted an old set of 2.1” thunder burts I had laying around on the 27mm wheels, I forgot what a pain in the rear end they are to mount

Do they even sell Thunder Burts anymore? I was looking for a set for the last month.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Do they even sell Thunder Burts anymore? I was looking for a set for the last month.

No idea, I took them off The Stuntman™ like 3 years ago and have had them in a bin waiting for their time to shine.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There are current versions on the website with 2.1s and 2.25s in stock. Schwalbe availability has seemed to be a little more spotty than some other brands though. I waited most of last year for a racing ray 2.35 to show up. It was kind of funny because we ordered a couple sets and then had a bunch of the rear specific racing ralphs sitting around. So I had 2 different sets in the mean time. They're on my bike now but I still haven't ridden them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aphex- posted:

I'm off to Dyfi Bike Park tomorrow, the weather couldn't be more perfect and I am HYPE.

Oh man I'm so jealous. Looks super steep and loose. Have fun and take photos/gopro!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jamal posted:

There are current versions on the website with 2.1s and 2.25s in stock. Schwalbe availability has seemed to be a little more spotty than some other brands though. I waited most of last year for a racing ray 2.35 to show up. It was kind of funny because we ordered a couple sets and then had a bunch of the rear specific racing ralphs sitting around. So I had 2 different sets in the mean time. They're on my bike now but I still haven't ridden them.

Schwalbe also seems to have about 4 billion individual SKUs, I’m not sure how they manage it

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Maxxis might have even more?

I have to go to the mfg websites to figure out what is what and then type the pn into q or whatever to make sure I get the right tire.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

VelociBacon posted:

Oh man I'm so jealous. Looks super steep and loose. Have fun and take photos/gopro!

It was insanely fun. Weather was perfect, felt like summer. Didn't die and managed a double black for the first time so super pumped. My GoPro battery only lasted the morning but I'll try and put a few clips up in the next few days. Saw Dan Atherton and friends send it off the pro line drops too which was cool!

My bike absolutely came alive too, completely ate up the roughness and speed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aphex- posted:

It was insanely fun. Weather was perfect, felt like summer. Didn't die and managed a double black for the first time so super pumped. My GoPro battery only lasted the morning but I'll try and put a few clips up in the next few days. Saw Dan Atherton and friends send it off the pro line drops too which was cool!

My bike absolutely came alive too, completely ate up the roughness and speed.

Awesome! I always bring 2 extra gopro batteries in my pocket when I ride park. Nice to have had the opportunity to see some pros riding, I'm always blown away after I get down something for the first time and a pro comes down after me and just skips an entire section of track by popping up and over half of it.

Can't believe Dan Atherton is riding again so soon after his massive accident. That family is wild.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Do you like World Cup downhill racing? Do you like fantasy leagues with no stakes whatsoever? Great.

https://m.pinkbike.com/contest/fantasy/dh/?joinleagueid=17846

Password is “stairs”.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 26, 2022

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
no steaks :eng99:

no stakes :eng101:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

First ride of the year. First time at Left Hand. Woooo wee!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

VelociBacon posted:

Awesome! I always bring 2 extra gopro batteries in my pocket when I ride park. Nice to have had the opportunity to see some pros riding, I'm always blown away after I get down something for the first time and a pro comes down after me and just skips an entire section of track by popping up and over half of it.

Can't believe Dan Atherton is riding again so soon after his massive accident. That family is wild.

It was Gee that had the big crash. Dan has just been busy building tracks (unless I missed something).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dread Head posted:

It was Gee that had the big crash. Dan has just been busy building tracks (unless I missed something).

Oh no you're right I got them backwards.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?

spwrozek posted:

First ride of the year. First time at Left Hand. Woooo wee!

The first rule of left hand is don’t tell anyone about left hand.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It is all on trail forks so...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

spwrozek posted:

It is all on trail forks so...

The first rule of trailforks is to monetize trailforks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek