Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Could be true, I just remember my experience of putting pyramid escape on and getting really annoyed by the loss of immediate color identification on a lot of models. Especially non faction ones.

E: blizzard probably refuses to host poo poo like maps with goku and cloud in it these days, so those are probably lost too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Basic question: Is it possible, in any way, to play Actual Warcraft 3 Custom Maps after WC3R blew up the goddamn game?

Yes, there are maps updated for the new version as well as maps still being made for the old one. The classic version is available through :filez: with a little effort; the remaining community has made them readily available.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

FoolyCharged posted:

E: blizzard probably refuses to host poo poo like maps with goku and cloud in it these days, so those are probably lost too.

Nah anime poo poo is still around and thriving, there's effectively zero regulation or enforcement around any of that as far as I can tell. Still basically always a DBZ tribute lobby up

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Could be true, I just remember my experience of putting pyramid escape on and getting really annoyed by the loss of immediate color identification on a lot of models. Especially non faction ones.

I'm still playing multiplayer and I can guarantee that no one from Blizzard is moderating anything. Every once in a while a custom map will show up called "N-word Stomp" or similar

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm still playing multiplayer and I can guarantee that no one from Blizzard is moderating anything. Every once in a while a custom map will show up called "N-word Stomp" or similar

Are you censoring it by writing it 'N-word' or is it actually just straight up 'N*gger stomp' with the letter instead of the asterisk? Because I can easily imagine you're self-censoring, but I also imagine Blizzard at least has the bare minimum of a word filter in place and actual obvious slurs are being filtered? I mean Blizzard isn't THAT lovely, right?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Are you censoring it by writing it 'N-word' or is it actually just straight up 'N*gger stomp' with the letter instead of the asterisk? Because I can easily imagine you're self-censoring, but I also imagine Blizzard at least has the bare minimum of a word filter in place and actual obvious slurs are being filtered? I mean Blizzard isn't THAT lovely, right?

lovely, permissive, it's the same thing.

I don't think I have ever, in all my years, ever seen anything in WC3 custom games result in action against someone else. And also anywhere else in WC3.

jokes fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 29, 2021

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Yes, there are maps updated for the new version as well as maps still being made for the old one. The classic version is available through :filez: with a little effort; the remaining community has made them readily available.

Fair enough.

Blizzard :argh:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Look at this guy who didn’t play n*gger stomp 20 years ago

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The uncensored word

Guess who was giving me grief for saying glhf today

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm looking for a particular map that I've had trouble laying hands on. Not looking for a version updated for Reforged or anything, but I remember that 13thVampire had a million iterations back in ye day. Two teams of vampire clans fighting it out, a third team that's the guard captain of prague who can be turned to either side. I've honestly been surprised that I wasn't able to find it on epic war or the like.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Remember Warlock? That map ruuuled on LAN and kinda sucks with any kind of latency.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The uncensored word

Guess who was giving me grief for saying glhf today

Did you backstab them? We drew every race in a 4 on 4 rt and I said something like we're a celebration of diversity or something and some halfwit started running his mouth about obama and I just laughed and tped over there with my militia and archmage. gently caress em. We won that game because the other team had BSers too lmao

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
Not sure if anyone cares but ESL (LAN!) championship is live right now: https://twitch.tv/esl_wc3

Playoffs today, grand finals tomorrow. Happy vs. Focus is right now, 2 more games afterward.

It's a big deal because it's the last ESL championship for WC3, they made the decision not to renew next year. Which is not unexpected but still sad :(.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
End of a loving era. Should have at least done another year so they got an even 20

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Another year at full price. It certainly is an interesting way to keep people away from a game.

Has anyone else seen another failed game using this 'strategy'?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

From the Eric Cartman school of business.

Seriously I'm trying to think of a bigger fall from grace for a games company. Konami?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pararoid posted:

Another year at full price. It certainly is an interesting way to keep people away from a game.

Has anyone else seen another failed game using this 'strategy'?

if the game had ever gone on sale to like $15 I'd have honestly bought it just to check out the campaign, but now I'm grateful that never happened

e: to be clear, i would not even play it for free now, the price is no longer the sticking point

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Any idea why cinematics don't make noise

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I decided to fire up wc3: reforged. Visuals weren't there and I remembered! I could turn on Classic. Then I click the menu and oh... :sigh:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I just finished the campaigns of both these and wow TFT is so much better than ROC it's in-SANE. It might have improved the base game more than BW did for starcraft. It's amazing how much more polished everything feels and plays, before even getting into stuff like improved shop experiences, early-mid game healing, items etc. drat it's good.

God I miss the mid 2000s

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

decided to fire up the custom games for some TD today

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

All these years later and warcraft 3 online hasn't changed a bit. Actually, I take that back. There isn't a lobby to download some tiny tiddies in the minimap preview on that list.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah much like HL people tend to fondly remember the good customs instead of the dozens/hundreds that were bleh.

Is there a hotkey to select worker units inside a building? Like the wisp or peon in an altar. If you misclick and cancel the thing by mistake you're pretty screwed and possibly better off segueing to a tavern first

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

but without all the poo poo there wouldn't be the thrill of finding the gems

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The poo poo is unironically vital because it means there's a huge community to work with and talk to and impress, which is a big reason to actually push yourself to make a good map. Also, some poo poo mapmakers will learn from the community and produce good stuff.

The WC3 mapmaking scene was incredible and nothing like it will be allowed again for fear of another DotA or hell, the whole TD genre.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's bizarre Blizzard didn't hire Icefrog and make DOTA its own thing before S2 did HON and Valve eventually hired him. The amount of people who bought (or pirated) wc3 just for DOTA must've been staggering.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

in 2007 i was making beer money by cheesing 25 wins (lossbotting to rock bottom MMR and then firelord tower rushing) and selling those accounts so noobs could play in whatever the main dota league was that required an icon

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's bizarre Blizzard didn't hire Icefrog and make DOTA its own thing before S2 did HON and Valve eventually hired him. The amount of people who bought (or pirated) wc3 just for DOTA must've been staggering.

I'm so glad modern day blizzard hasn't ruined Broodwar yet. Every other classic game is gutted

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Elephunk posted:

I'm so glad modern day blizzard hasn't ruined Broodwar yet. Every other classic game is gutted

Rock n roll racings doing just fine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The poo poo is unironically vital because it means there's a huge community to work with and talk to and impress, which is a big reason to actually push yourself to make a good map. Also, some poo poo mapmakers will learn from the community and produce good stuff.

The WC3 mapmaking scene was incredible and nothing like it will be allowed again for fear of another DotA or hell, the whole TD genre.

Is there really a huge community anymore? There certainly was back in the day. I have no clue what numbers rf is putting up though

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
is reforged playable now

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there really a huge community anymore? There certainly was back in the day. I have no clue what numbers rf is putting up though

It's far smaller but still chuggin'. People are putting out nutty stuff and the amount of 3rd party tools is incredible. Afaict every decently popular map's community is sequestered in its own Discord since there aren't enough people online for organic games, which is sad but understandable.

Nothing like the old days, even just pre-Reforged. At Hive Workshop you gotta mark whether your map is designed for pre/post Reforged because the differences are so borked.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

wynott dunn posted:

is reforged playable now

define playable

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Where is the community for WC3 nowadays? I'm assuming they mostly play the old version using virtual lan or a 3rd party server?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Where is the community for WC3 nowadays? I'm assuming they mostly play the old version using virtual lan or a 3rd party server?

It seems easier to get a game on BNET than W3Champions but the quality of player is superior in the latter. Ranked custom maps are popping up there too.

All servers are very slow mid day which sucks cause I like to sneak a game in on my lunch break

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

It was a couple months ago but I had a good time playing 4v4 RT ladder on W3Champions, queue times were 3 to 10 mins from useast iirc

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So how does one play Warcraft 3, single player or otherwise, in the year of our lord two-thousand and twenty-two without having to install reforged or otherwise engage with Blizzard? I still have my old CD somewhere for both the original game and the expansion, so yeah, once I've installed that, how/where is the most recent patch for it that also doesn't force Reforged on me?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Try searching for "patch 1.31.1 backup files." Links are easy to find from there.

Note that you cannot let that version connect to B.net or it will drop Reforged on you automatically. Hive Workshop has steps to prevent this from happening if it comes up.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Try searching for "patch 1.31.1 backup files." Links are easy to find from there.

Note that you cannot let that version connect to B.net or it will drop Reforged on you automatically. Hive Workshop has steps to prevent this from happening if it comes up.

Can you play on W3Champions with the OG client?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Not sure, I'm old and my reflexes are shot so I've only really used it to play custom campaigns and stuff, not actual competitive play.