Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

PremiumSupport posted:

Yeah, unfortunately the way our AD is set up the server is in the same (only) OU as the rest of the computers. I do reboot the clients after each GP change.
Manual installation never produces an error. The progress bar just stops at 10%

Yeah it's not going to work if the print server is in the same OU as the clients, thats part of the disabling of client connections. Make another OU, note what GPOs affect the server, and throw it in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I have a combo batch file/VBS setup that can be used to remotely install IP-based printers on PCs with PSexec, and could probably be adapted to work with SCCM or anything capable of running an elevated batch file, if anyone's interested. It's definitely not the right way to do things, but it gets the job done when you just need to get a printer on a PC.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Oyster posted:

Yeah it's not going to work if the print server is in the same OU as the clients, thats part of the disabling of client connections. Make another OU, note what GPOs affect the server, and throw it in there.

So I got it working and I didn't have to move the print server. I had to explicitly define the full domain path of the print server in both "Packaged Point and print Approved servers" and "Point and Print Restrictions".

That coupled with the registry changes letting non-admins to install drivers allowed GP to push the printers to users at login.

What a mess.

Edit: We are not using "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Printing/Allow Print Spooler to accept client connections • Set to Disabled" part which is why it works without moving the server. It remains "Not Configured"

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 14, 2022

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

PremiumSupport posted:

So I got it working and I didn't have to move the print server. I had to explicitly define the full domain path of the print server in both "Packaged Point and print Approved servers" and "Point and Print Restrictions".

That coupled with the registry changes letting non-admins to install drivers allowed GP to push the printers to users at login.

What a mess.

Edit: We are not using "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Printing/Allow Print Spooler to accept client connections • Set to Disabled" part which is why it works without moving the server. It remains "Not Configured"
Yeah, I thought that was what we had to do as either of the settings on their own didn’t help.

As a bonus, non-Windows endpoints just flat out can’t print to any Windows print servers with the PrintNightmare mitigations.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

PremiumSupport posted:

What a mess.

Oh! Yes, I absolutely should have thought of that. We didn't restrict "Packaged Point and Print approved servers" until several months after we instituted the original, so that went way past my head.

I want to say keeping that setting as "not configured" still leaves a vulnerability but that's over my pay grade at the moment. If it works, use it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Don't forget about SELinux contexts, kids.

SMH. There's an hour I'll never get back.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
Just spent two hours troubleshooting a VoIP issue, the phone vendor insisted it was blocked at our firewall.

The firewall for that particular site has an explicit allow all policy at the end of it. Nothing is blocked.

Two hours later, phone vendor admitted it was blocked at their firewall.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The only type of phones I want to deal with as part of a job is a cellphone that someone else is responsible for

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
So I've got a few client onboardings under my belt and each one has gone better than the last. Our 5 happiest customers are the ones who have worked with me personally, some of those I have stepped in and immediately saved them thousands per month by fixing problem areas where they were hemorrhaging money. All while stepping in and saving helpdesk's rear end time and time again (which was running flawlessly when I was in charge).

Point being, I'm kicking rear end in this new role after giving it a 90 day trial run, and the trouble helpdesk is having only solidifies that I'm amazing.

I've got a meeting in an hour with the owner to solidify the job description for the position and I'm holding firm to a 20% raise as a requirement as part of my compensation.

I'm not budging on that.

I made it out of the well, I'm a goddamned delight, and I'm going to get what I deserve, drat it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

larchesdanrew posted:

So I've got a few client onboardings under my belt and each one has gone better than the last. Our 5 happiest customers are the ones who have worked with me personally, some of those I have stepped in and immediately saved them thousands per month by fixing problem areas where they were hemorrhaging money. All while stepping in and saving helpdesk's rear end time and time again (which was running flawlessly when I was in charge).

Point being, I'm kicking rear end in this new role after giving it a 90 day trial run, and the trouble helpdesk is having only solidifies that I'm amazing.

I've got a meeting in an hour with the owner to solidify the job description for the position and I'm holding firm to a 20% raise as a requirement as part of my compensation.

I'm not budging on that.

I made it out of the well, I'm a goddamned delight, and I'm going to get what I deserve, drat it.

Hell yeah!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm not budging on that.

gently caress yeah, get that paper.

And here's hoping helldesk will eventually stop wallowing in their own filth.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

If they had the drive to stop wallowing in filth, they wouldn't be helpdesk.

That's the forever Catch-22 of helpdesk.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I gave them specific procedures. I gave them specific instructions.

I gave them the recipe for success.

I gave them every tool and advantage possible.

They have used none of it.

It's their own fault.

Basically this:

ConfusedUs posted:

If they had the drive to stop wallowing in filth, they wouldn't be helpdesk.

But every time I have to step in, I just look even better and it's another little ounce of leverage I can use in the future :shrug:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm not budging on that.

Track those metrics and put them in your resume bullet points. Always be resume-ing

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

:toot:

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Happiness Commando posted:

Track those metrics and put them in your resume bullet points. Always be resume-ing

I keep a section in OneNote for every major project or milestone that I was key in, and have a folder for accolades. It can be a pain to remember to do sometimes but it makes self evaluation time a breeze and comes in handy during annual reviews.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

larchesdanrew posted:

Can we still piss in the well though? :ohdear:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

This is the way.

Today I took a company-wide survey. One of the questions was whether I expected to be with the company a year from now. I gave a neutral response because that's really up to them, isn't it?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Zorak of Michigan posted:

This is the way.

Today I took a company-wide survey. One of the questions was whether I expected to be with the company a year from now. I gave a neutral response because that's really up to them, isn't it?

I was told last week that my raise was halved because I was concussed this past December and didn't perform to standards due to it.

What they don't know is I have a standing offer from the Job Board thread that I intend on starting as soon as I get the all clear from my speech therapist, which at my current rate will be in 3 weeks. Totally is up to them. If they want to keep me, don't hold getting injured against me, and especially don't cut a promised raise when I'm in $8000 medical debt due to their poo poo insurance.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Uh, did you get that in writing, because that's lawyer time

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Seriously, that sounds like an ADA violation at minimum.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

TheParadigm posted:

Uh, did you get that in writing, because that's lawyer time

Unfortunately no, it was all verbal. I have a friend who is literally the executive director of Disability Advocates for my county. I haven't reached out to him because he also just won county commissioner seat and is likely wrapped up in all that, but it might be worth dropping him a line.

I've got one foot out the door thanks to a kind goon who posted an opening, anyway.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Definitely talk to him ASAP, even better if you can before he leaves his current role. Stuff like that is red meat for those teams.

If they're doing it to you, they're doing it to others as well. Since you're already on your way out, there's literally no retaliation they can inflict.

Just getting an investigation started can help establish a pattern, even if nothing comes from your specific case.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
A recruitment came in:

The president of an MSP in my area messaged me on LinkedIn. I interviewed with this place a few years ago when I freshly had my CCNA but was still a printer tech and didn't get a call back.

He wrote:

quote:

I am the President of $MSP and wanted to introduce myself. We have been around for 16 years and are growing like crazy. I thought it made sense to connect and see if you are interested in learning how we could help you develop your skills and grow your career. Thank you!

And so I responded:

quote:

Hi! I interviewed with $MSP a few years ago hoping to get into the MSP realm. I didn't get a return call, but am now in a much better position having been with $Current MSP.

My interest is largely in networking; I have the CCNA, but have not had much opportunity for practical experience, and the first year after acquiring it was spent in printer support so unfortunately much was lost. I am absolutely looking to grow my skills in networking, virtualization, and server administration.

And he responded quickly:

quote:

Thank you for the reply and the history! I am sorry we didn't reach out and update you last time you interviewed with us. We have better processes in place to make sure that doesn't happen. I'd love to have you talk with $OfficeAdmin, and start the process over again. We have a pretty quick interview process now. If it fits well for everyone, we'd love to get you on the team and help you gain those experiences.

So I thought sure, what the hell. Wouldn't hurt to practice interviewing after the concussion and all that. I set up an interview and they want me to take an aptitude test. That's fine, gotta know what things your prospective employees know. But there are a few restrictions: no calculators, only pen and paper, and a personality test is included. I stopped, and wrote back directly to him:

quote:

Hey $president,

I'm going to pass on the opportunity. I do not have interest in a company that places stock in personality assessments and/or aptitude tests with restrictions such as not using a calculator.

I was concussed this past December and a large part of speech therapy has been learning to use the tools that I have available. I can still subnet in my sleep even post-concussion due to getting the CCNA, but a company that places emphasis on that kind of stress is not a company I am interested in joining. Further, personality tests have been shown in several studies to operate against those with anxiety, of which I work to mitigate.

I will call $OfficeAdmin when business hours resume in the morning to cancel my scheduled interview for Friday as well.

All the best, and thank you for the opportunity.

I don't think I would've done that if I didn't have the standing offer from the company from the Job Fair thread, and I certainly wouldn'tve done it if I were still a printer tech, but goddamn did that feel good.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
If anyone complains about not being able to get internal email, the account maybe is or was compromised and the attacker set an Outlook rule on M365 that doesn't show up in desktop Outlook rules that automatically routes all internal mail to a hidden folder so the person can't be alerted their account is compromised.

Just saw this happen for the second time in two weeks with different clients that were compromised.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

duffmensch posted:

I keep a section in OneNote for every major project or milestone that I was key in, and have a folder for accolades. It can be a pain to remember to do sometimes but it makes self evaluation time a breeze and comes in handy during annual reviews.

I use Trello as a personal Kanban board of what I'm working on. Every month I archive my completed items, and at the end of the year those are supper useful for padding your accomplishments.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
The president of the local MSP isn't letting it drop. He sent me a novelette asking me to sleep on it. I did (albeit poorly) and I stand by my decision. I will not participate in a personality test during the hiring process. Afterwards, maybe, if it helps you know how to approach me.

Also came in to work this morning to find my title changed from L2 support center to Net Admin. Okay. I guess that tracks with our head network engineer quitting last week and many of his responsibilities shifting to me.

I am anxiously awaiting the all clear from my speech therapist so I can jump ship.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 24, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Even if they dropped the personality test requirement for interview, it's not going to to change the management culture at the company. Consider it a dodged bullet.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Good for you on standing up to something like that. I dont think I'd be willing to sit it on an aptitude test at this point in my career either. Maybe when I was younger and just getting started.

Reminds me of my time working for a commodity trading company. They would fly this guy in who had some special built computer/device that hooked up to like bio-monitoring tools and they would have the trading applicants wear this while taking a test on the computer and answering interview questions. The bigwigs thought it was like a fool proof stamp of approval. They'd only make traders out of people with prior experience or who had worked their way up in the company, and would then interview them for several rounds before the test. And if people did poorly on the test that was it despite everything else. Seemed really dumb and psuedoscience-ish to me. Traders were willing to do it though because that was a job that could pay $200k+ pretty easily.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oyster posted:

The president of the local MSP isn't letting it drop. He sent me a novelette asking me to sleep on it. I did (albeit poorly) and I stand by my decision. I will not participate in a personality test during the hiring process. Afterwards, maybe, if it helps you know how to approach me.

That's clearly someone who doesn't like being told "no", and you dodged a bullet on that alone.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Can't have Thetans invading the company!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Oyster posted:

Also came in to work this morning to find my title changed from L2 support center to Net Admin. Okay. I guess that tracks with our head network engineer quitting last week and many of his responsibilities shifting to me.

I am anxiously awaiting the all clear from my speech therapist so I can jump ship.

Did this come with a pay raise commensurate with your new title and responsibilities?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think it is good practice to never take a MSP job where the owner is the headhunter. Made that mistake once and only once.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I think it is good practice to never take a MSP job

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

guppy posted:

Did this come with a pay raise commensurate with your new title and responsibilities?

lol, my raise got cut because of the aforementioned concussion. I was scheduled to take a Watchguard cert the week after I was concussed and I still don't have it. Again, I'm on my way out.

I responded to his novella with a wall of text of my own. For context I'll put both here:

quote:

Hey Oyster,

Thank you for expressing your concerns about our interviewing process. I am going to follow up with $OfficeAdmin on this, but you are allowed to use whatever you need to complete the tests to the best of your abilities. If you want to use a calculator, go for it. I don't think we have ever had anyone ask us that question before, so thank you for helping us flush that out in our processes. :)

The assessments that we ask everyone to take help us get a more complete picture of the person we are talking to. These assessments are not used to filter anyone out of the process. They help us ask more insightful questions, which help us determine a better fit for our company culture and the specific role.

Nothing about my company is designed to be stressful. Our line of work is stressful enough. We don't want to add any more stress to the world. In fact, we try to reduce stress by working with caring and fun teammates and awesome clients (just to give a couple of examples).

I'd like you to reconsider your position on this and even talk this through with me on the phone. You are painting us in a pretty negative way and might be jumping to some conclusions about the type of company we are.

Please sleep on it and let's follow up with each other in the morning.

Thank you,

$President (cell phone number included)

And my response:

quote:

Hey $President,

I truly appreciate the followup. Having slept on it, I stand by my decision. I would like to be perfectly clear on my reasoning:

I completely believe that aptitude tests are necessary in this line of work. You have to know your prospective employees strengths and weaknesses. I have the CCNA but have spent more time with Watchguard firewalls than Merakis, for example. I admit that I bristled when I saw that a calculator was not allowed - as I outlined previously, my concussion recovery has taught me to use the tools available and forbidding a calculator seemed extremely arbitrary. It would absolutely be best to have your vendor remove that from the start as it gives the impression of ableism.

I don't disagree with knowing your employees and how to approach them. I disagree heartily with including that in the hiring process. A 2014 study from Aberdeen found that only 14% of companies have data to prove the positive impact of personality tests. I won't disagree with the plethora of evidence showing how personality may affect health and educational outcomes, but as a first step in the hiring process they give the impression that your culture is elitist and highly selective for very little tangible reason. This was also not part of the process a few years ago, telling me that you now put more emphasis on personality. As a neuroatypical I am quick to be defensive about that.

The amount of effort I have put into this response tells you more about my work and work ethic than a personality test would. I implore you to take the step to make a personal connection with your employees before you label them with a test. If I came off as painting in a negative light it is because I believe those tests are, at that point, actively harmful specifically to neuroatypicals.

I appreciate that you don't want to add any more stress to the world. The MSP business model often runs a fine line on profitability, and mitigating that stress successfully is an achievement for sure.

Perhaps we can talk again at a future date, but for now I respectfully decline.

Thank you,

Oyster

He responded with a "thank you for the thoughtful response, enjoy your day!" so basically tl;dr, but I thought with the consideration he had shown with the first response I might actually get somewhere. Regardless, I'm in total agreement that a bullet was dodged there. I probably shouldn'tve outed myself as neuroatypical, but at that point I wasn't taking it anyway so figured whats the harm.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 24, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Oyster posted:

I probably shouldn'tve outed myself as neuroatypical, but at that point I wasn't taking it anyway so figured whats the harm.

Is this somehow a disadvantage in this field? When I started those traits were considered desirable because everyone knew people who were good with computers were "different"

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Just as one datum, as a hiring manager, I'm completely indifferent to neurotypicality. It's a big concept and doesn't really tell me how well you can do what we do.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I give like half a poo poo about neurotypicality as a theoretical hiring manager - and when I say that, I'm thinking about the person with autism whose "autism obsession" so to speak is exactly in line with the position I'm hiring. Oh, you're ASD-passionate about infosec and I'm hiring a security analyst? You're fast-tracked as poo poo.

RFC2324 posted:

Is this somehow a disadvantage in this field? When I started those traits were considered desirable because everyone knew people who were good with computers were "different"

Basically this.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've gotten to the point that I just dont deal with dumb responses to emails anymore.

SupplierPersonA: Hi Real Muenster, please talk to SupplierPersonB.

Me: Thank you SupplierPersonA, I will talk to SupplierPersonB! SupplierPersonB, are you available on any of these dates?

SupplierPersonA: Hi Real Muenster, you need to talk to SupplierPersonB about that!

SupplierPersonB: Hi Real Muenster, what times are you available?

Me: Hi SupplierPersonA, as you can see (screenshot with what I said highlighted) I was addressing SupplierPersonB. SupplierPersonB, I listed my times in my last email.

Not included in my email: "Jesus loving christ can you clowns read?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Not included in my email: "Jesus loving christ can you clowns read?"

Functional literacy is probably the job requirement most frequently ignored or waived.