Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks for the input!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This is the one I got and covered it with hardware cloth: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082D7BHMS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"
Question! Has anybody wormed their flock? What did you use? Not looking for a natural wormer. I have about 30 hens and trying not to do them each individually unless necessary. This is about my 6-7ish year with a flock and never had a worm issue.

Nascardad fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 22, 2022

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I use Flubenvet mixed into their food one period in spring and one in autumn.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

I have the same one and did the same thing. It's nice. The shipping was a little borked, though. It comes in A, B, and C boxes and they initially sent me two-Bs and a C, but no A. After I contacted them, they sent me the missing A and wanted me to send back the extra B, but as it wouldn't fit in my tiny car and they didn't offer to order a UPS pickup from my house, I never did.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Enfys posted:

That's the simplest option. You only need to dose for 7 days.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think flubenvet is only available in the UK, though I wish we had it in the US.

I’ve used Ivermectin and it’s supposed to kill internal and external parasites. It helped with the scaly leg mites that my chickens had. It’s easy to apply with a dropper to the back of the neck, the only hassle is the repeat dosing and the egg discard time. You have to apply 3-5 drops, discard eggs for 1 week, wait another week, dose again and discard for another week. I have seen recommendations to dose 3 times but I usually only do 2 doses.

When my hens are hatching eggs/raising chicks I take the opportunity to give them ivermectin since they aren’t laying anyway.

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

Enfys posted:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Im a long time lurker lol. I'm in north east Pennsylvania and there isn't any flubenvet packages that have dosage for chickens so im not sure of the dose amounts.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Nascardad posted:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Im a long time lurker lol. I'm in north east Pennsylvania and there isn't any flubenvet packages that have dosage for chickens so im not sure of the dose amounts.

Check if you're using the 1% or the 2.5% - I've only ever used the 1% powder that comes in a 60g container. 60g of 1% powder will treat 20kg of feed, and you want to feed it to your chickens for 7 days in a row.

There should be a little scoop with it that measures out 6g, which will treat 2kg of food. The exact dosage will depend on how much your chickens eat over 7 days and how often you feed them. Make sure you mix it in really thoroughly in small bits at a time so that every chicken will end up eating it with their food.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://twitter.com/crevicedwelling/status/1506436626859319299

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

oh my god that's wonderful :kimchi:

I think I'm going to hold off on chickens another year. I think I'd like to attempt hatching quails before branching out into poultry any further, and this will give me more time to set up a proper coop/enclosure if we do decide the quails aren't enough.

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

https://imgur.com/a/sgeGyh5
Flubenvet isn't sold in the USA. Would it be safe to use this for them? How much safeguard goat wormer would I need to feed my chickens? It comes in a paste, liquid, and pellet. Paste and liquid are the same concentration. I've read on some chicken forums that people do this but I trust goon advice more.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Lots of birds have fluorescent feather patterns because diurnal birds are tetrachromats and are great at seeing UV and can see a broader spectrum than us apes. That also means black lights are VERY bright to them so I’m not going to shine a bright one on my birds to take a picture.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

freeedr posted:

Lots of birds have fluorescent feather patterns because diurnal birds are tetrachromats and are great at seeing UV and can see a broader spectrum than us apes. That also means black lights are VERY bright to them so I’m not going to shine a bright one on my birds to take a picture.

:birddrugs:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 14 days!)

!!!!

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

the pale dart feathers on adult quail would probably fluoresce too, i've noticed they glow in the shadows while the rest of the feathers stay dark. it's so they can see and recognise each other in the darkness of the undergrowth. it's so cute they have to light the chicks up like disco balls because they're just completely unmanageable even by their own species

my cat is norris posted:

I think I'm going to hold off on chickens another year. I think I'd like to attempt hatching quails before branching out into poultry any further, and this will give me more time to set up a proper coop/enclosure if we do decide the quails aren't enough.
:neckbeard:

i try to avoid promoting the hatching of baby quail itt because once people realise how low the barrier is, the natural impulse for someone first discovering the magic is to hatch out dozens at a time, and then none of the chicks get cared for properly and the end result is a bunch of unwanted adult birds. but once you've spent time with the grown birds and got to really know the art of quail like you have, raising some from hatch adds a whole new dimension to their personality - they're so much more used to you from the start, so they interact with you more and you get to know them better.

it is time. time to form chick

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 24, 2022

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

chickens and ducks have total control over their youth from the moment they're out of the egg, but quail absolutely do not and it's hilarious to watch. the chicks are programmed to instantly scatter in every direction at the slightest stimuli, and then the mother has to go track each one down individually.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Well drat looks like I am putting my chickens under black lights this weekend.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

chickens and ducks have total control over their youth from the moment they're out of the egg, but quail absolutely do not and it's hilarious to watch. the chicks are programmed to instantly scatter in every direction at the slightest stimuli, and then the mother has to go track each one down individually.

I can’t imagine how annoying that must be for the mother!

Rose and Fauna’s chicks are expanding their orbits and sometimes they interact with each other.

[url= https://youtu.be/pDXNEgQUvTI][/url]

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Alterian posted:

I'd be more willing to free range ours if we had a rooster. Our old house didn't have predator issues so they had access to the whole backyard.

Roos have made all the difference for our flock. Every now and then I'll be outside when a hawk flies real low and our rooster will let out his pterodactyl growl that gets all the hens on alert.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Roos have made all the difference for our flock. Every now and then I'll be outside when a hawk flies real low and our rooster will let out his pterodactyl growl that gets all the hens on alert.

Has anybody made an image recognition program for hawks? Maybe we can make a robot rooster.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

It is true that my cockatiels glow under a blacklight and also they loving hate the blacklight.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^^ Thank you for pissing off your cockatiels for science :science:

Nascardad posted:

https://imgur.com/a/sgeGyh5
Flubenvet isn't sold in the USA. Would it be safe to use this for them? How much safeguard goat wormer would I need to feed my chickens? It comes in a paste, liquid, and pellet. Paste and liquid are the same concentration. I've read on some chicken forums that people do this but I trust goon advice more.

For years I've been using Equimax (a broad spectrum horse paste wormer). It kills EVERYTHING that can be killed when it comes to parasites, including scaley leg mites and feather mites. I worm twice a year, but in between, if I get a new bird, or spot roundworms in a poop, whoever has the infestation gets wormed. When I worm I check over everyone's health, and spray fluffy butts with the Adams Flea and Tick Mist to take care of feather mites (worming also kills the mites, but it takes a while and mite infestations are gross).

How-to's for worming and spraying are here, on my chicken site: http://jackshenhouse.com/WormingDusting.htm

And yeah--last time we went into Tractor Supply to buy paste wormer, we had to loudly announce that it was for ANIMALS, we weren't going to ingest it.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

BTW, Chickam update! :derp:

Eggs are going into the incubator this weekend. In addition to ours, we got two dozen local eggs from two little girls who are selling eggs to raise money. They run a mixed flock of dark and light Brahmas, Salmon Faverolles, Barred Rocks and Easter Eggers--so we should get some interesting chicks! High-altitude eggs are just what we need, since we get a crappy hatch rate with lower altitude eggs up here in the Sierras.

And some of our eggs--I've now got about two dozen picked out. The 5 dark green ones are from Strychnine (Giant Cochin/Americaunas mix), the dark brown is from Nyx, our Midnight Marans, the light brown one is from Slick Charlie, a partridge Rock, and the 2 light blue-green ones are from Peanut, a new Americaunas hen we just got!.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I can remember chickam fondly from way before I had any personal interest in chickens. I'm happy to see it's still going on and will have to check it out this year. That Maran egg is gorgeous and I'm looking forward to seeing what our two Maran pullets will produce.

An update on my special lady: she has continued to do well, though progress is slow. I'm seeing her sit fully upright more often and she has started having an easier time balancing. I've also seen her grooming herself for the first time since her injury and doing other important chicken things which is giving me hope about her eventual quality of life, fully functional leg or not.

also:

spookygonk posted:

Molly is perfectly fine, though not getting all the hugs she deserves.

love this chook :3:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Well, that explains it! When we first got our first chicks, I had the bright idea of marking them flourescent markers. Just a small patchon the head. Then we could tell who was who by shining a uv flashlight on them.

First go at shining it at them and they all freaked. And the second time. So plan B. Tiny zip ties loosely around the ankle. With three it was easy. Left, right and none.

We kept that as they grew and we replaced the ties.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

BHB posted:

love this chook :3:

Thank you. Molly is currently having a hug in the spring sunshine.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...
BTW, Chickam update! :derp:

The size and color of that red egg is to die for.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Did the naming of the chicks already occur?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Captain Log posted:

No, that'll happen in the main Chickam thread when it goes up, if history is to repeat itself for another year.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

BHB posted:

An update on my special lady: she has continued to do well, though progress is slow. I'm seeing her sit fully upright more often and she has started having an easier time balancing. I've also seen her grooming herself for the first time since her injury and doing other important chicken things which is giving me hope about her eventual quality of life, fully functional leg or not.
:unsmith:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Nope,no matter the egg number, the chicks are named as they hatch, we pick a name out of a hat as soon as one pops out of its shell, then post the name in the thread. The Chickam thread will be posted in GBS as always, but as soon as I start the thread I'll post a link to it here.
So start dreaming up weird names! I'll start a list, any names posted here will go on the list. ONE per person, please!

CHICKAM UPDATE:
The eggs go into the ReptiPro one hour from now--I'm trying to skew the early hatch thing they *love* to do and actually hit my projected hatch date of Saturday, April 16th.
Here are the 29 eggs that are going in! I'll candle them in 10 days and remove any duds. Meanwhile I get to turn the little suckers five times a day for the next 18 days...

The eggs on the left are from our hens, the ones on the right are eggs from a neighbor (marked with a tiny 'N').
Known contributing hens:
#1-2 Nyx (Midnight Marans)
#3-4 Strychnine (Giant Cochin/Americaunas)
#5-6 Peanut (Americaunas)
#7 Rapunzel (Psycho tiny banty hen, Belgian D'Anvers/Belgian D'Uccle)
#8 Slick Charlie (partridge Rock)
#9-10 Bantam eggs (Bantam Cochin/Belgian D'Uccle/Belgian D'Anvers)

I'm still trying to source safe cardboard for a brooder box, after last years horror show I will never again get boxes from the appliance place I've used all these years. I'm thinking someplace that has big boxes for food might be safe--we've got a Starbucks distribution center in the next town over, might hit them up...

I might get stuck with the kiddie pool again, but keeping the chicks in it is like trying to keep nuclear fission in a Mason jar--sooner or later it just gets too damned BIG to stay in there. :derp:

EDIT--Oh, and one name slot is taken for sure--'Chris'. Why? Here: https://twitter.com/chickam2008/status/1501730376678797312

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 28, 2022

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Chickam :neckbeard:

#3 Tony Honk

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Oooooo, this is exciting. I want to suggest the classic, simple name Mayhem.

I don’t know if I’m supposed to pick a specific one to name Mayhem, but if so I pick #2

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’m excited for chickam! It’s so cool to see the chicks hatch.

I candled Large Marge’s eggs last night and 5/8 weren’t developing :( I definitely need more roosters.

I haven’t decided if I will see about getting her more babies when these hatch or not. After her giant brood (18!) last year maybe Marge would enjoy only have 3 chickies to keep in-line. Or maybe she will smother them with the love meant for many many babies. She’s refusing to get off the nest once a day for exercise so she’s over-devoted already. I will have to try to move her again today if she hasn’t got off on her own.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

#9 Colossus

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Joburg posted:

I candled Large Marge’s eggs last night and 5/8 weren’t developing :( I definitely need more roosters.

I haven’t decided if I will see about getting her more babies when these hatch or not. After her giant brood (18!) last year maybe Marge would enjoy only have 3 chickies to keep in-line. Or maybe she will smother them with the love meant for many many babies. She’s refusing to get off the nest once a day for exercise so she’s over-devoted already. I will have to try to move her again today if she hasn’t got off on her own.
i love this bird

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I always submit Lu Bu and live in hope.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Please add the name Bu Lu to the list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

Please add the name Bu Lu to the list!

Chaosfeather posted:

I always submit Lu Bu and live in hope.

You are both evil personified. :D