Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That is literally the last obvious chest that I opened. Looks like it might be for you too!

Try not to be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I blame the devs, for using too many puzzles cleverer & more unique than obvious bombable walls

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
^^^^^
it does make you wonder, if there's like 4 obvious bombable walls and then the mechanic seems to be dropped... what about non-obvious bombable walls?

Hwurmp posted:

I'd missed that second one, thanks

I got the other 3 and then my controller died so I had to try to get that one with M+KB.

listen, if you're a weirdo who somehow wants to play this game with mouse and keyboard, don't try to use it for this specific puzzle. when I came back the next day that was still a nightmare on analog.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 24, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why is there a second sword tucked away so late in the game? Is it just for pro speedrun strats?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Zachack posted:

somewhat significant hint about the mechanics I forgot the page number but it's one of the last ones, in the Notes section. Look at the top right of the page. Does something seem different?

ting that did it, cheers.

Spoiler chat obviously: I knew it was about page numbers and finding clues in them, especially with page 55 ending in that obvious blob, but was looking for clues like lots of arrows, or the fox miming directions. No, it's a literal golden path, durr. The last page also had a bunch of stuff on translations and that weird squid thing which I felt was also significant since it didn't look like it had to do with translations. Basically just making red herrings for myself.

Also did comedy new game (not NG+) just to see what I could break progression wise. Turns out you kinda need the stick, but the sword is very optional if you're feeling masochistic. Cheevos aren't firing for the linux version, but I should look into them to see if there's something like "pick up the sword in West Garden" or something equally dumb.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Serephina posted:

Also did comedy new game (not NG+) just to see what I could break progression wise. Turns out you kinda need the stick, but the sword is very optional if you're feeling masochistic. Cheevos aren't firing for the linux version, but I should look into them to see if there's something like "pick up the sword in West Garden" or something equally dumb.

There's one for getting the gun before the sword

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Serephina posted:

ting that did it, cheers.

Spoiler chat obviously: I knew it was about page numbers and finding clues in them, especially with page 55 ending in that obvious blob, but was looking for clues like lots of arrows, or the fox miming directions. No, it's a literal golden path, durr. The last page also had a bunch of stuff on translations and that weird squid thing which I felt was also significant since it didn't look like it had to do with translations. Basically just making red herrings for myself.

spoiler for the thing you mentioned with the squid: that's a hint for something not related to completing the game at all! there's a good chance if you're walking the golden path that you've run into some of what it's pointing you at naturally

and you CAN skip the stick and the sword! the speedrun for this game is going to be absolutely WILD

like, swordless probably isn't possible?

egg tats fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 24, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How can you skip the stick?!

Bushes can be cut swordless with stick + 0hp fire card, but if you don't cut bushes I couldn't see any shortcuts to clip past that starting area without additional movement tools.

edit: vv goddamn that's amazing.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 24, 2022

KNR
May 3, 2009
Two ways I can think of are using the bomb codes from the manual for free bombs at the start and baiting enemies into cutting bushes for you. No idea how far that gets you.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Serephina posted:

How can you skip the stick?!

Bushes can be cut swordless with stick + 0hp fire card, but if you don't cut bushes I couldn't see any shortcuts to clip past that starting area without additional movement tools.

actually I just reasoned myself into swordless being possible lmao

there are ways to get past bushes, and you don't even need NG+

endgame spoilers you can use the holy cross to spawn 1 of each bomb, which can get you out of the forest and into the overworld. There's sword 2 inside the holy cross door at the start of the east garden, or you can just grind up enough monies to buy however many bombs you need to get +1 on explosive or fire, and from there you can probably kill everything in the game with enough patience.

also one of the slime enemies in the forest CAN break bushes, so it's possible to skip the stick entirely by accident (if you do apparently a second one spawns next to the first save point after the ladder)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Check the map

Less vague: You can bomb the wall nearby

i know this is a zeldalike; why the gently caress did i never think to try that :psyduck:

(e) Does NG+ offer anything special besides a chance to chump the hell out of the combat and poke around at full capacity? (and does that also mean no chance to [good end]fight the final boss instead of showing them the completed manual?)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 24, 2022

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Somthing fun for those that have already finished the game. If you have access to the glitched save file, you can give yourself a firebomb using the code and then kill yourself. This'll respawn you in a beta version of the overworld. It's pretty interesting to wander around in.

Also, in addition to bombable walls, there's another way to open doors in certain walls.

Queer Salutations fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 24, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

i know this is a zeldalike; why the gently caress did i never think to try that :psyduck:

(e) Does NG+ offer anything special besides a chance to chump the hell out of the combat and poke around at full capacity? (and does that also mean no chance to [good end]fight the final boss instead of showing them the completed manual?)
It doesn't offer anything particularly special as far as I know, but it lets you choose whether to fight the boss or give her the manual, because otherwise you'd be locked out of that path forever, so that's nice.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

New Game+ has new enemy variations (bask in the majesty of cube crab) and different enemy placements to try and make it harder.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Check the map

Less vague: You can bomb the wall nearby

WAIT, YOU CAN BOMB WALLS?!

Also thanks for the tips guys, I took down the Siege Engine on my second try today and it wasn't bad. Now I'm below the Quarry and uhh this loving place.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

god even just inputting the golden path sucks so bad, I can't tell if I added/missed a squiggle somewhere or just hosed up an input somewhere in the million steps, I hate this

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 24, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

god even just inputting the golden path sucks so bad, I can't tell if I added/missed a squiggle somewhere or just hosed up an input somewhere in the million steps, I hate this

I'm trying to type it out in spoilers for you and I can't even get all the way through my notes without missing my place lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

haha glad it's not just me

also: aaaaaaAAAAAAA

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

It's absurdly and unreasonably long in my opinion, it's the one thing I just looked up so I wouldn't gently caress it up and have to stare at notes.
up - left - down - left - up - left - down - left - up - right - up - right - up - left - up - right - down right - up - left - up - left - up - right - up - left - down - left - up - right - up - up - left - up - right - down - right - down - right - up - right - down - left - down - right - up - right - right - down - right - up - right - down - right - up - right - right - down - left - down - left - down - right - down - right - down - left - left - down - right - down - left - down - right - up - right - down - right - up - right - right - down - down - left - up - right - up - left - down - left - up - left - up - left - up - right - right - up - left - up

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 24, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I had to fix like 5 errors went I went to enter it, I had specifically missed a lot of the dashes that add an extra button press in the same direction. I would spend a few minutes really studying all those before just beating your head against the wall doing the inputs over and over.

Also idk I'd suggest putting more of that in spoiler tags personally. It hints at a lot of stuff

Martman fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 24, 2022

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wonder if there is some slack in the input of the golden path - I got it on my first try after finding out the 9 secret, and I'm pretty sure I didn't do it flawlessly. If I were the dev of the game I would definitely allow for 1-2 mistakes without invalidating the solution

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the previous holy cross puzzles sort of indicate that to the contrary, you gotta get it all the way right, AND if you hesitate for more than like a second it resets

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

per a suggestion in another thread I unequipped all my ability cards and it worked right away. So it's just broken.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 24, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

per a suggestion in another thread I unequipped all my ability cards and it worked right away. So it's just broken.
Congrats but uhhhhh you may have just, done it right this time. I've seen a ton of discussion on the official discord about bugs and stuff and this hasn't come up at all

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the code only works if you turn around three times in your chair and say "GOONGA BOONGA" before you enter it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Martman posted:

Congrats but uhhhhh you may have just, done it right this time. I've seen a ton of discussion on the official discord about bugs and stuff and this hasn't come up at all

i'm sure it's purely a coincidence that out of the thirty-odd times I tried it it worked zero times with the cards in and consistently without them, and that the same thing happened to enough other people not on the discord for it to come up quickly when I started looking for solutions. this brilliantly designed puzzle provides zero feedback on what's going on other than a pass/fail at the end so I guess make up whatever story you like

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 24, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

make up whatever story you like
:ironicat:

e: y'know, I can see people sharing stuff about it online, and also including specific spots to stand in and stuff, and who knows, there may be some fucky stuff goin on. sorry. I just get a little skeptical because I've seen a lot of people say stuff like "I've been trying this for an hour, it's bullshit" when they only realized 5 minutes ago they had an error or whatever

Martman fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 24, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So uh, I explored the three areas that open up once you finish the first part of the game. holy poo poo in the rooted ziggurat when it shows you what the pillars are So I decided I should tackle the three bosses. I first did the siege engine which was really frustrating due to how slowly the fox moves. Why does the boss gotta move so fast? I finished that one and then decided to tackle The Librarian. Is that boss supposed to be so cheeseable? I just used the whip thing to drag the boss down and then mashed the sword over and over again which seemed to stunlock it. Then I'd whip it back and smash it with the sword. It finally got down to less then half a bar of health left and then it tried to do one of its attacks, but I then whipped it back down and killed it. First boss took several minutes, the second one took like 30 seconds. Now I'm working on The quarry dude

I also was listening to a podcast and someone mentioned CUSTOMIZATION? I found it and now I have a cool blue fox

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cojawfee posted:

So uh, I explored the three areas that open up once you finish the first part of the game. holy poo poo in the rooted ziggurat when it shows you what the pillars are So I decided I should tackle the three bosses. I first did the siege engine which was really frustrating due to how slowly the fox moves. Why does the boss gotta move so fast? I finished that one and then decided to tackle The Librarian. Is that boss supposed to be so cheeseable? I just used the whip thing to drag the boss down and then mashed the sword over and over again which seemed to stunlock it. Then I'd whip it back and smash it with the sword. It finally got down to less then half a bar of health left and then it tried to do one of its attacks, but I then whipped it back down and killed it. First boss took several minutes, the second one took like 30 seconds. Now I'm working on The quarry dude

I also was listening to a podcast and someone mentioned CUSTOMIZATION? I found it and now I have a cool blue fox

re: bosses that's kinda funny, I had the opposite experience with the first two bosses that you did. I eventually realized that if i stayed right in the siege engine's face it became a lot easier to deal with most of its attacks; whereas with the Librarian using the magic orb to drag them to me seemed to just get me sliced at a lot so i ended up just having to win a long drawn-out slugfest of dodging

this game is so cool. wish that one tiny bit of the game wasn't bugged on gamepass though - i wonder if it's even fixable? gamepass' filesystem stuff is weird

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I first did the siege engine which was really frustrating due to how slowly the fox moves. Why does the boss gotta move so fast?

Have you, uh, not figured out how to run yet?

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Okay got a question about the exploration part after you've collected the three macguffins

I've found a weird fez like room where you climb the tower as it rotates, and when I got to the top nothing happens. I *thought* the puzzle might have been to do holy cross stuff with the sequence of the path but I can't seem to get it right. Am I missing something about this puzzle I need to come back later for or am I just loving up the inputs.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LightReaper posted:

Okay got a question about the exploration part after you've collected the three macguffins

I've found a weird fez like room where you climb the tower as it rotates, and when I got to the top nothing happens. I *thought* the puzzle might have been to do holy cross stuff with the sequence of the path but I can't seem to get it right. Am I missing something about this puzzle I need to come back later for or am I just loving up the inputs.

you had the right idea, you're just loving up the inputs

hint: start from the square block over the bottom door

more hint: wherever you walked through a glass portal, that means you have to press again

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Have you, uh, not figured out how to run yet?

I mean, the fox doesn't run quick enough to keep up with the Siege Engine's rear weakpoint and if you try it makes for a really frustrating fight. I know because I tried it too.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

you had the right idea, you're just loving up the inputs

hint: start from the square block over the bottom door

more hint: wherever you walked through a glass portal, that means you have to press again

Thanks!

I still kept getting it wrong so I just wrote it all out and did it quickly and that worked. I wonder if there was a time component involved

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LightReaper posted:

Thanks!

I still kept getting it wrong so I just wrote it all out and did it quickly and that worked. I wonder if there was a time component involved

speed is a factor but it's fairly lenient; 2.5-3 inputs/sec should be fast enough for everything

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I mean, the fox doesn't run quick enough to keep up with the Siege Engine's rear weakpoint and if you try it makes for a really frustrating fight. I know because I tried it too.

Hmm. So is it that it's not obvious that the face is also a weak point? I'll admit I didn't even notice the rear point was there until I was halfway through it's health bar, and when I realised I couldn't keep up I forgot about it again.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Hmm. So is it that it's not obvious that the face is also a weak point? I'll admit I didn't even notice the rear point was there until I was halfway through it's health bar, and when I realised I couldn't keep up I forgot about it again.

More spoilers for this boss fight:
Yeah, I think hitting it's rear end end is gonna require some sort of trick that I'm sure the speedrun will find. When I refought it in NG+ I got collisioned behind it and managed a combo, it does stun the boss so it's an extra special weak point but I also can't reliably get back there. I'd assume it was the Decoy which is extremely powerful against most enemies but it didn't appear to work on this boss.

When fighting the Siege Engine you want to just stay up in his face, if you roll when he does melee attacks then you'll dodge it most of the time. His machine gun attack will hit you but every other attack is easily dodgeable. Just keep hitting him in the face, rolling out of the way of attacks, and healing when you can.

You can run around him for the machine gun attack, you won't get behind him but he won't be able to track you quick enough to hit, and for the rolling mines, they can damage him so being at his head can help you get some extra damage.

If the boss is still giving you trouble then just go explore South in the Overworld and explore that path first, you'll get some upgrade items and consumables to help you with this fight.

Also, here's a general combat tip if you've made it to at least the first real boss, you can parry using the shield with a quick tap of R2/RT and the bosses all have pretty clear and obvious attack windups. If you play around with the timing (as soon as you see the bosses "i'm gonna melee" tell just start parrying and adjust from there) it's not that hard to get parry's going, they'll stun the boss and let you get a good amount of damage in.

Also, use your bombs, always be using bombs.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I beat siege engine in one try just by standing under it. It's a super slow boss. I did have lots of trouble with the faster ones though.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

McGurk posted:

I beat siege engine in one try just by standing under it. It's a super slow boss. I did have lots of trouble with the faster ones though.

I also one shotted that fight which was shocking because I am terrible at combat. I think finding the anklet card which increases movement speed made it a lot easier to stay in position, it would not have been so easy otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

(Eastern Vault boss fight spoilers just so everyone knows if they need to avoid this discussion or not)

I noticed quickly that the face is an attack point, but hanging out in front of the boss seemed like a bad idea since half of its devastating attacks originate from the face and all the others hit the face area as well. Plus, harder to reach area on the boss's arse? Well that's got to be the REAL weak point.

But ultimately I did kill the boss by attacking the face and then kind of running underneath the boss as close to it and as far out to the sides as I could when it did beam attacks.