Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Arbite posted:

One other thing I really appreciated is how the character art, no matter how sinister, is no indication of who is more evil than anyone else.

Yeah half the heroes look just as evil as anyone else. It's kind of hysterical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Levantine posted:

Yeah half the heroes look just as evil as anyone else. It's kind of hysterical.

I was seriously convinced, just by the character portrait, that Corentin would betray me at some point

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
The character portraits are beautiful. Wished they showed up when a character is speaking though.

The character descriptions are very helpful. Had a side story that took place in the past with Hughette & Roland & the descriptions even updated to reflect that.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
What's going on when my convictions are being strengthened? Is it just flavor text? Am I getting over my fear of heights after climbing a ladder? Petting a cat?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The character portraits are great but some really don’t match up to the 3D model or the voice. In my mind Trish was a literal kid but the portrait shows, like, an adult person.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

poe meater posted:

What's going on when my convictions are being strengthened? Is it just flavor text? Am I getting over my fear of heights after climbing a ladder? Petting a cat?

There are three buckets in the game, Utility, Morality, and Liberty. Nearly everything you do puts points into one of the buckets. The more full a bucket is, certain things get easier and certain characters join you. Your first time through, that message tells you that points got put into a bucket, but not which one. In NG+ that message gets replaced by, for instance "Utility +8" when you make a decision that puts points in the Utility bucket.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I just got to Roland's decision in chapter 17 and holy poo poo Roland just might be The Dumbest Motherfucker Ever (TM)

I guess he's young and inexperienced but like after all this time seeing that pretty much everyone in the world is a cartoonish piece of poo poo villain you can't ever trust, how do you come to what is one of the worst possible decisions?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Vegetable posted:

The character portraits are great but some really don’t match up to the 3D model or the voice. In my mind Trish was a literal kid but the portrait shows, like, an adult person.

The english vo is going for an "has an attitude" voice which tends to be associated with kids/teens in our stuff I guess? I dunno I played the demo in English and didn't got that impression myself. Her japanese vo is def better tho for the character though.

They shoulda given her a heavy boston accent

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vegetable posted:

Turtling is far too successful a strategy for this game. It never gets boring but I consistently get slayed when I try to be aggressive.

Yes in general though I just died on Securing Whiteholm Bridge twice trying to turtle and the third time I said screw it, I'm rushing Thalas' half of the units and that run went a lot better. Granted I had a few more levels by then and knew how to fly Hughette and teleport Archibalt on top of the two archer pillars on the far side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I highly doubt it but, does Benedict's Twofold Turn give Anna four turns?

I'm not 100% certain but I think recipients of Twofold Turn only get the one TP that they would've gotten for the beginning of their first turn.

Good thing auto-attacks don't cost TP.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Does anyone know what the % chance is on that Benedict double turn ability? I never tried using it since apparently it has a chance to fail and gently caress that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The best part of the portraits are how many characters have freckles (Trish... Avlora...) Great representation for freckle havers like me.

The actual best part is Lyla's portrait because she looks so cool. too bad about the crimes against humanity :(

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

I just got to Roland's decision in chapter 17 and holy poo poo Roland just might be The Dumbest Motherfucker Ever (TM)

I guess he's young and inexperienced but like after all this time seeing that pretty much everyone in the world is a cartoonish piece of poo poo villain you can't ever trust, how do you come to what is one of the worst possible decisions?

I've thought about it, and it makes sense in a number of ways. In non-spoilers: Roland has middle child syndrome (or, really, in this case, 2nd prince syndrome). All his life, he has known that he will never become king. No one expects anything out of him, and that, in part has festered as a very low concept of himself--low self-esteem and etc. His life, more or less, doesn't matter--the king's life matters, then his brother's, then his.

Suddenly, his life is one of the most important in the land, and people are dying for him. He seems to have at least mild survivor's guilt, immediately tries to forfeit his life to Aesfrost, etc. Once you retake the capital--after fighting so hard for something he clearly doesn't really want--you learn that people are rejecting him as king, royalists are plotting against him, and a few other things that get mentioned in a path I didn't take. Meanwhile, he implicitly trusts Serenoa, who is one of the Holy 7 or whatever, and thinks the country would be better in Hyzante's hands than his own since at least Serenoa will have a part in it. The worst and weirdest choice would have been to work with the country that killed his family.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
With regards to conviction growth in battles, is that a flat growth for all three or specific ones for specific actions?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arbite posted:

One other thing I really appreciated is how the character art, no matter how sinister, is no indication of who is more evil than anyone else.

Take Clarus for example. Guy has possibly the most evil art in the game, but the guy is an ally in 3 out of 4 routes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yes in general though I just died on Securing Whiteholm Bridge twice trying to turtle and the third time I said screw it, I'm rushing Thalas' half of the units and that run went a lot better. Granted I had a few more levels by then and knew how to fly Hughette and teleport Archibalt on top of the two archer pillars on the far side.

Turtling isn't strong.

Applying the bulk of your forces to a small number of enemies whilst others are out of range is strong.

That can take the form of turtling on maps where you're defensive or aggressively attacking a wing when you're offensive.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Prowler posted:

I've thought about it, and it makes sense in a number of ways. In non-spoilers: Roland has middle child syndrome (or, really, in this case, 2nd prince syndrome). All his life, he has known that he will never become king. No one expects anything out of him, and that, in part has festered as a very low concept of himself--low self-esteem and etc. His life, more or less, doesn't matter--the king's life matters, then his brother's, then his.

Suddenly, his life is one of the most important in the land, and people are dying for him. He seems to have at least mild survivor's guilt, immediately tries to forfeit his life to Aesfrost, etc. Once you retake the capital--after fighting so hard for something he clearly doesn't really want--you learn that people are rejecting him as king, royalists are plotting against him, and a few other things that get mentioned in a path I didn't take. Meanwhile, he implicitly trusts Serenoa, who is one of the Holy 7 or whatever, and thinks the country would be better in Hyzante's hands than his own since at least Serenoa will have a part in it. The worst and weirdest choice would have been to work with the country that killed his family.

The main problem with his choice and Benedict's choice is that they completely ignore what would happen in the long run. Roland knows Hyzante's equality is fake and that the Seven are scheming pieces of poo poo and it makes no sense to trust them at all, especially considering the fate of the Roselle. And I'm really loving pissed at him and Benedict for making GBS threads all over the Roselle.

And Benedict is just as dumb, because he apparently is too stupid to see that after Aesfrost and Glenbrook wipe out Hyzante, Aesfrost will stab Glenbrook right in the back and try to take over all of Norzelia. And again, huge piece of poo poo for totally forsaking the Roselle.

I hate them both and they can gently caress off. We're liberating the Roselle and murdering anyone who opposes us. And if we have to uproot and seek the Promised Land then so be it.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Elephant Ambush posted:

The main problem with his choice and Benedict's choice is that they completely ignore what would happen in the long run. Roland knows Hyzante's equality is fake and that the Seven are scheming pieces of poo poo and it makes no sense to trust them at all, especially considering the fate of the Roselle. And I'm really loving pissed at him and Benedict for making GBS threads all over the Roselle.

And Benedict is just as dumb, because he apparently is too stupid to see that after Aesfrost and Glenbrook wipe out Hyzante, Aesfrost will stab Glenbrook right in the back and try to take over all of Norzelia. And again, huge piece of poo poo for totally forsaking the Roselle.

I hate them both and they can gently caress off. We're liberating the Roselle and murdering anyone who opposes us. And if we have to uproot and seek the Promised Land then so be it.

I don't think they are ignoring what will happen in the long run at all. Roland and Benedict acknolwedge both of the points you make when defending their positions, Roland just believes the price is worth paying (easy for him to say, I know) and Benedict believes they can turn the tables on Aesfrost if it comes to that. If we're talking about ignoring the long run though, what do you think will happen to the people living in House Wolffort lands when their lord hits da bricks just as two major powers are gearing up to invade?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Prowler posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely agree, and it's always been that feeling going into games like this (although FE3H represents in an interesting way). But the game at least tells you why in a mandatory scene right after the battle.

Falkes does get the poo poo end of the stick, but I would be lying if I said I didn't expect it. And one look at Silvio's art tells you all you need to know about him.

tbqh it would have been great if Falkes had been recruitable if you decided not to give up Roland, and Silvio (or his henchman, tbqh) be recruitable if you had chosen to give Roland over to Aesfrost.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I know they said they had no plans for dlc but like an extra scenario with a few chapters would be neat for a few recruits. Make it an non canon so we can get Dragan with time bomb traps. Also Lyla... I can fix her...

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

going down Benedict's ending path and this might be what gets me to finally take the difficulty off of Hard. I was willing to deal with the massive damage differential, but I think I draw the line at the XCOM levels of accuracy I'm suffering here. I feel like there's not really much I can do when I miss three killing blows in a row, one of which was with Inescapable Shot of all things!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Snooze Cruise posted:

I know they said they had no plans for dlc but like an extra scenario with a few chapters would be neat for a few recruits. Make it an non canon so we can get Dragan with time bomb traps. Also Lyla... I can fix her...

NGL I was really hoping that Lyla would be a recruit if I played buddy buddy with the Saintly Seven. Similar to Avlora in that respect. I mean I guess we got the dancer lady as the Hyzante defector but it would be cool if Lyla or Kamsell would be recruitable if you successfully did the investigation into Sorsley.

But that would require either of them to recognize that things in Hyzante aren't that great, which I don't think either of them do.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Arrrthritis posted:

NGL I was really hoping that Lyla would be a recruit if I played buddy buddy with the Saintly Seven. Similar to Avlora in that respect. I mean I guess we got the dancer lady as the Hyzante defector but it would be cool if Lyla or Kamsell would be recruitable if you successfully did the investigation into Sorsley.

But that would require either of them to recognize that things in Hyzante aren't that great, which I don't think either of them do.

I would love the skill that she has--it is an (arguably) more useful version of (conviction recruit spoiler) Quahaug's stop all ability. But I'll settle for a five-panel, 100% accuracy, 1-turn temptation. (Gotta love enemies wasting a turn not only damaging their allies, but also expending their TP in the process).

Edit: Whoops, forgot the closing spoiler tag. :D

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Benedict's plan is:

The God King Serenoa. By the time the endgame happens, he's got enough tools in place to just put Aesfrost into an endgame where they either go with Glenbrook and retain independence or get conquered by Hyzante.

So he does consider a backstab and judges it insignificant because by the time his plan finishes Serenoa will have control over the continent's military.

I don't really see how he gives up on the Roselle though. His plan *explicitly* involves their liberation at the Source.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cephas posted:

I feel like one of the problems with that section is that the game says "house wolffort's soldiers faced terrible losses and are exhausted," but it's like... House Wolffort's forces? You mean Benedict, Anna, Eredor, and this circus girl I adopted? The game doesn't do a great job of visualizing the fact that Wolffort supposedly has an army of generic soldiers. All you really see are your own crew and like 4 town guards.

needed a scene of Avlora taking out a squad of Wolffort soldiers to sell that plot beat better.

It's very much a game where at all times every nation's army is exactly as big as it needs to be for the plot to progress in the way the writers decided it was going to. It's kind of like a sitcom where the family is both poor and constantly blowing through big wads of cash.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

It's very much a game where at all times every nation's army is exactly as big as it needs to be for the plot to progress in the way the writers decided it was going to. It's kind of like a sitcom where the family is both poor and constantly blowing through big wads of cash.

This is exactly the case and I found it jarring, especially since these huge city states seem to be just down the road a few miles from each other as entire armies are casually marching back and forth between them. I get that too much attention to detail like that would probably be super boring and add to the already long winded cutscenes but it cracks me up that armies are either super weak or super strong based on plot convenience.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Natural 20 posted:

Benedict's plan is:

I don't really see how he gives up on the Roselle though. His plan *explicitly* involves their liberation at the Source.

He's not, Frederica is just impatient and wants to go save the Roselle now, rather then wait on it again. It's why she's willing to accept Benedicts plan vs Roland's which she refuses to go along with.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Detective No. 27 posted:

I highly doubt it but, does Benedict's Twofold Turn give Anna four turns?

Not exactly four turns. Anna's passive is taking two actions per turn. So she can move once and/or act twice every turn.

Twofold Turn is better than Anna's passive. It straight up gives the target an extra turn after they take their turn. So the target can move and/or act once, then move and/or act once again.

If you use Twofold on Anna, she gets two turns in a row and can act twice on each of those turns as is normal for her.

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'm not 100% certain but I think recipients of Twofold Turn only get the one TP that they would've gotten for the beginning of their first turn.

This is correct. I guess Twofold is strong enough that they didn't want it to also be a TP generation ability.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The father and adopted daughter having a really good syngery is one of my fav mechanical bits with character stuff. Roland and Maxwell being sort of reflections of each other is neat too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Snooze Cruise posted:

The father and adopted daughter having a really good syngery is one of my fav mechanical bits with character stuff. Roland and Maxwell being sort of reflections of each other is neat too.

I felt like I got that character a bit too late to use them, but I do kinda feel like it makes the horse Roland rides feel a bit like just a cosmetic thing. He does move a BIT further but not much considering!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Taear posted:

I felt like I got that character a bit too late to use them, but I do kinda feel like it makes the horse Roland rides feel a bit like just a cosmetic thing. He does move a BIT further but not much considering!

He also has a passive that boosts his move in sunny weather

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I read somewhere that Roland would have been much more usable if they’d just allowed him to move after taking an action, like some of the cavaliers in Fire Emblem. And yeah I think that would have been great. Hit-and-run isn’t much of a thing in this game as it is.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Roland was basically always my first character to die. His extended movement range kind of felt like a trap. I like that they let him bring his horse to the 8v8 competition at the beginning of the game. He is the Prince, I guess!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Elephant Ambush posted:

Neither of them are ignoring that and you didn't read the words on the screen if you think so.

Roland explicitly acknowledges that precise fact and defends it via pure utilitarianism. He's not fit to be king, Hyzante's equality is fake, but Hyzante's equality is still the option in his mind that does the greatest amount of good for the greatest amount of people. Sucks to be the Roselle! It's not the best solution but it is a coherent one informed by his trauma and life experiences.

The consistent theme of all three endings but the Golden Route is that all of them are making slapdash sacrifices for "good enough". The Golden route, as Serenoa says in what is effectively the game's thesis statement, does not turn it's back on the possibility of a better future.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Neither of them are ignoring that and you didn't read the words on the screen if you think so.

Roland explicitly acknowledges that precise fact and defends it via pure utilitarianism. He's not fit to be king, Hyzante's equality is fake, but Hyzante's equality is still the option in his mind that does the greatest amount of good for the greatest amount of people. Sucks to be the Roselle! It's not the best solution but it is a coherent one informed by his trauma and life experiences.

The consistent theme of all three endings but the Golden Route is that all of them are making slapdash sacrifices for "good enough". The Golden route, as Serenoa says in what is effectively the game's thesis statement, does not turn it's back on the possibility of a better future.

Also a convenient way to throw all the royalists, Aesfrost who believe in the meritocracy they live in even if the conditions are poo poo who is going to be working in a salt mine because of Roland.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Roland was basically always my first character to die. His extended movement range kind of felt like a trap. I like that they let him bring his horse to the 8v8 competition at the beginning of the game. He is the Prince, I guess!

Hey other people also got to keep their horse! It was a fair fight.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Surprisingly few horses in this game if we're being honest. Like, there's even a character with a spear who gets a passive that gives bonuses for hitting weaknesses (which is only horses afaik), but they are practically nonexistent as enemies.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Clarste posted:

Surprisingly few horses in this game if we're being honest. Like, there's even a character with a spear who gets a passive that gives bonuses for hitting weaknesses (which is only horses afaik), but they are practically nonexistent as enemies.

It depends on the route, I gave up Roland and sided with Aesfrost in Chapter VIII and there were like seven horse units in that battle.

Of course you don’t have Roland for it, so……………

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah I definitely want more people on horseback in a sequel. More Hawk riders, too.

Clarste posted:

Hawk riding characters take more damage from bows as well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It depends on who you're fighting.

Hyzante given the chance will field a lot of horses.

But yeah, your own forces kinda suffer from lack of options outside of infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Either there's a bug, or there's a weird decision regarding speed and initial turns in battle. It turns out that maybe your weapon and accessory bonus doesn't factor in.

First three turns in this battle on the ally side:

1. Anna: 29
2. Spoiler1: 28
3. Spoiler2: 33 (27*)

*Spoiler2 has a speed amulet (2 speed) and all three levels of weapon speed up (+4, edit: +5). So... 33-7=26.

Making vanguard scarf even more useful if you're trying to set something up.

Edit: math wrong based on wrong data, but the point remains.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 25, 2022