Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
P sure it's like 5 bucks a month, so a way better deal to just buy it for a month or two then cancel. Getting a humble bundle is the only way buying all the DLCs outright is possibly worth it. I got all but the last two for 15 right before covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
isn't the game unplayable now though? heard it got majorly hosed and never recovered

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Popoto posted:

isn't the game unplayable now though? heard it got majorly hosed and never recovered

You can roll back to any patch version you want in steam, but no, it's not unplayable at all.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It is for me. When I bought the game I had above recommended specs but with the latest expansion dlc I clearly don't meet the minimum. I dread the day 1.30.6 gets pushed off the list of available patches. :(

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You can roll back far past the current "earliest" beta patch option, it just takes an extra step. You can cheerfully play EU4 of 2016 if you like.

Popoto posted:

No, Leviathan launch was exactly as hilarious as you have heard or worse though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they fixed all the giant bugs that came with leviathan, though the performance is still worse. the new patch did bring some dumb poo poo with it though, like the main loans button no longer showing you your total money loaned

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just wrapped up a fun Shun game in 1751 a few days ago and performance was significantly better than as Orleans in 1450 when I tried leviathan (after they had fixed the major issues).

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You can roll back far past the current "earliest" beta patch option, it just takes an extra step. You can cheerfully play EU4 of 2016 if you like.
That sounds fantastic. How?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Davincie posted:

they fixed all the giant bugs that came with leviathan, though the performance is still worse. the new patch did bring some dumb poo poo with it though, like the main loans button no longer showing you your total money loaned

It's an even dumber and more petty bug than that, you get the tooltip informing you of your total loans ONLY IF you have enough cash to repay at least one loan. They did some combat rebalancing and AI tweaks that the jury is still out on, I'm neutral about those until further notice.

Positive side: Some nice QOL things like notifications of when you have a monument that can be upgraded.

Negative side: No more Mayan horde Ryukyu.

Hilariously broken thing: Usurping the Emperor of China title gives you the Unify China CB which gets you FREE CORES ON ANY PROVINCE IN CHINA for simply occupying it in a war. So that's a lot of free real estate.

Haven't noticed any major performance issues, and I'm running it on a five-year-old laptop that was in the medium potato price range when new. A slight increase in frequency of sudden CTD events but that still only happens on occasion.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I haven't played EU4 since 2018, I just got fed up with the layer upon layer of new and ever more janky features onto a game which had fundamental issues with pushover AI and really didn't need to be made more bloated.

I know that they did at least a couple of major patches since then which were supposed to help with this but I think I just got sick of the basic formula, especially when you consider that I started playing EU3 the year it came out and the bones of the game are still fundamentally the same.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Poil posted:

That sounds fantastic. How?

Don't remember exactly how but you need to get a key from the forum by syncing your account. Why it was moved to behind a key like that is because of legal requirements prior to a specific version with GDPR and stuff like that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groogy posted:

Don't remember exactly how but you need to get a key from the forum by syncing your account. Why it was moved to behind a key like that is because of legal requirements prior to a specific version with GDPR and stuff like that.
Thank you. Sounds a bit convoluted, and I would finally have to bother to get an account, but worth it over having to uninstall the game forever. :toot:

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 24, 2022

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

MuffinsAndPie posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/europa-universalis-iv-complete

It looks like it has nearly everything for $20. The only one missing, the newest immersion pack, is on discount. Seems like a good deal, even if you have a bunch of them already. Maybe I'll do a vanilla game for once.

Thanks for this, didn't have most of the expansions

If they do EU5 I hope they detach it from the original boardgame entirely and do something new

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Farecoal posted:

Thanks for this, didn't have most of the expansions

If they do EU5 I hope they detach it from the original boardgame entirely and do something new

I think the scope of the game needs to be narrowed and dialed in more. Having both the age colonialism and the age of revolutions be one game makes all the detail a bit zoomed out and lacking focus.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pretty sure 95% of people never actually play the age of revolutions bit anyway.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Jabor posted:

Pretty sure 95% of people never actually play the age of revolutions bit anyway.

I want a grand strategy game entirely about the age of revolutions. Being France and dealing with the white terrors and committee for public safety. Being Austria and being the main force of counter revolution loving everywhere.

Maybe throw the wars of napoleon in to keep the map painters happy

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There should be one 1453-1763 EU game, and a proper March of Eagles for 1763-1836. Prove me wrong.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jabor posted:

I regularly hit the 1800s in Anbennar at least! :v: Mostly because it actually has things to do at that point and also the conquerors which are terrifying.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jabor posted:

I've played every game in the series and never have, so I'd be more than okay with them reducing the scope of the game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Turns out I already had a paradox account, with forum name and everything. After a depressingly long and difficult struggle with my incompetence pitted against google's terrible mail interface (seriously, in the junk mail folder?!) I managed to reset, pick a new password and even log in. My last activity was apparently in 2013 lol and given the name I had registered I suspect it had involved Cities in Motion. :woop:

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 25, 2022

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

picked up all the dlc im missing through humble bundle

good lord there are so many buttons now

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

I think the scope of the game needs to be narrowed and dialed in more. Having both the age colonialism and the age of revolutions be one game makes all the detail a bit zoomed out and lacking focus.

No, no, what we need is to have a single grand strategy game go from 1356 to 1956. This cannot possibly fail.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Is there a thread for Grey Eminence? People from MEIOU and Taxes are apparently making a grand strategy game, the globe from 1356 to 1956 with OVER A MILLION HEX TILES. And of course it has full pop system, religion framework , and weather system.

I dont for one second believe that their claims that it runs well, especially since its a Unity game. Isnt Unity particularly unsuited for games with lots of calculations? Because it definitely handicapped KSP.

Also, Im not a mathematician but how does making a sphere from hexagons require 5 pentagons? I thought hexagons could tile naturally into a sphere, and even if they couldnt I wouldve expected needing an even number of filler pieces.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

1956 is a bridge way too loving far

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Communist Zombie posted:

Is there a thread for Grey Eminence? People from MEIOU and Taxes are apparently making a grand strategy game, the globe from 1356 to 1956 with OVER A MILLION HEX TILES. And of course it has full pop system, religion framework , and weather system.

I dont for one second believe that their claims that it runs well, especially since its a Unity game. Isnt Unity particularly unsuited for games with lots of calculations? Because it definitely handicapped KSP.

Also, Im not a mathematician but how does making a sphere from hexagons require 5 pentagons? I thought hexagons could tile naturally into a sphere, and even if they couldnt I wouldve expected needing an even number of filler pieces.

A flat surface can be tessellated with hexagons, but a flat surface can't cover a sphere, so hexagons cannot tessellate onto a sphere without needing something to fudge it.

Also it was only a handful of M&T devs, and not really the big ones. Some of the people staying on M&T got quite mad about having it described as "from the M&T team" as a result. Colour my skeptical about it tbh, even as someone who loves MEIOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Communist Zombie posted:

Oh hell yes

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

As is customary the player will invariably have completed most of a world conquest by 1456 and abandon the game

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Communist Zombie posted:

Unity can handle a lot of simultaneous calculations just fine if set up correctly, but it's a pretty advanced design technique that's based around ignoring a lot of how most people understand Object Oriented programming, so there's no guarantee that it would work for this specific application (although it's impossible to say without knowing more about the game really).

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Communist Zombie posted:

Hellioning posted:

No, no, what we need is to have a single grand strategy game go from 1356 to 1956. This cannot possibly fail.

My general reaction to Grey Eminence is 'good loving luck', meant both ironically and uniroincally. GSGs could use some competition since Paradox basically owns the entire market, but I am very skeptical about a single system modeling 1356 Holy Roman Empire and 1956 USA, let alone their pop system and religion system. I want it to be good but I'm not subscribing to their Patreon or anything (and isn't that another red flag?)

Allyn posted:

A flat surface can be tessellated with hexagons, but a flat surface can't cover a sphere, so hexagons cannot tessellate onto a sphere without needing something to fudge it.

Also it was only a handful of M&T devs, and not really the big ones. Some of the people staying on M&T got quite mad about having it described as "from the M&T team" as a result. Colour my skeptical about it tbh, even as someone who loves MEIOU

The fudge is that there's, like, 5 pentagon tiles, I think.

aphid_licker posted:

As is customary the player will invariably have completed most of a world conquest by 1456 and abandon the game

Yeah, this is I think the real challenge it's gonna face. They've said they have some sort of anti-snowballing measures in the game, and it's going to need it, given that timeframe.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah when they announced it I thought it was both something that’ll probably never come out, or at least not as advertised, but I’m interested in it and want it to. So for now I just follow the dev diaries. If they launch a cool demo or something I could see throwing them a couple bucks on Patreon.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Communist Zombie posted:

I hope this works, but also running all the way to 1956 seems completely idiotic.

quote:

That's very much a thing, but I think if it's a full sphere there's supposed to be 12 pentagons.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Okay, yes, 12 pentagons, that's it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Hellioning posted:

Okay, yes, 12 pentagons, that's it.

Yeah, it's this thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldberg_polyhedron

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Communist Zombie posted:

I don't have high hopes. Those sound like extremely ambitious promises, and no matter how extensive their EU4 mod is, it's a far cry from making a game from scratch..

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Vizuyos posted:

I don't have high hopes. Those sound like extremely ambitious promises, and no matter how extensive their EU4 mod is, it's a far cry from making a game from scratch..

Extremely ambitious, and yet not that exciting. Just seems like they took the parts they liked best about CK, EU, and Victoria, mashed them together and added a bunch more tiles.

Edit: like their pitch from the first dev diary is

quote:

In Grey Eminence, there are no arbitrary mechanics, no board game-like abstractions, no mana points. Instead, Grey Eminence’s systems represent the phenomena that drove mankind towards modernity as faithfully as possible.

but it starts by saying "Grey Eminence is our answer to the question: 'How would you build a historical grand strategy game if you had a x100 bigger performance budget?'" and their answer was to make a grand strategy game with x100 the number of tiles. What is the point of having so many tiles? Who played EU4 and thought the thing it was missing was more than a million extra provinces?

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 3, 2022

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Vizuyos posted:

Yeah from the looks of it I doubt these guys are gonna break the "Paradox modding teams make bad developers" curse. Remember the good old days of Magna Mundi and EvW?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
How are their strait mechanics?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Isn't most modding of EUIV just manipulating and changing Lua scripts? Like I am sure that is helpful and a good skill to have but I am not sure that Lua scripting translates well to OOP, like C# that Unity uses. I mean, I like C# and I think it is fun and easy to use, and Unity does a lot of the heavy lifting in regards to a game engine, but I think there is a significant skill jump between the modding and programing. Not to say they cannot do it, but their mod philosophy seemed to be based around making a million systems, pop-ups, events, whatever, in the hope that some of them were engaging. I don't think adding province count accomplishes all that much. In fact I would even argue that too many provinces cause a saturation and somewhat flattens the impact of certain provinces.

Also the "Phenomena that drove mankind forward" seems a lot like an abstraction, such as mana points or board game mechanics. Their comments remind me so very much of Star Citizen.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Tomn posted:

Yeah from the looks of it I doubt these guys are gonna break the "Paradox modding teams make bad developers" curse. Remember the good old days of Magna Mundi and EvW?

in fairness you also had Darkest Hour and Arsenal of Democracy, as well as For the Glory which was.. a commercial failure, but honestly the perfect version of what those folks wanted.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Isn't most modding of EUIV just manipulating and changing Lua scripts? Like I am sure that is helpful and a good skill to have but I am not sure that Lua scripting translates well to OOP, like C# that Unity uses. I mean, I like C# and I think it is fun and easy to use, and Unity does a lot of the heavy lifting in regards to a game engine, but I think there is a significant skill jump between the modding and programing. Not to say they cannot do it, but their mod philosophy seemed to be based around making a million systems, pop-ups, events, whatever, in the hope that some of them were engaging. I don't think adding province count accomplishes all that much. In fact I would even argue that too many provinces cause a saturation and somewhat flattens the impact of certain provinces.

Also the "Phenomena that drove mankind forward" seems a lot like an abstraction, such as mana points or board game mechanics. Their comments remind me so very much of Star Citizen.

Nah Paradox game mods are mostly around.. fake, pseudo-JSON? I think it's syntactically consistent (i got really far building out a Discord bot, for example, that processed save files to keep track of MP stats over time), but it's also come a long way in the last.. five years or so? Like we're still a way, way long way from anything like Civ 4's modding, but it's "pretty good". And in fairness always been good for what a lot of mods want to accomplish (and, frankly, MEIOU is a fuckin work of art in the EU4 engine).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Randallteal posted:

What is the point of having so many tiles? Who played EU4 and thought the thing it was missing was more than a million extra provinces?
Well, it would support poo poo like visually expanding farmlands into former forests, land reclamation, or desertification, though I doubt the developers of the game have put much thought into terrain and climate. What with the 1356 world terrain map being literally just modern satellite imagery.

That said, the spherical world map is at least a fantastic addition, given that the shape of the world matters quite a lot for distances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Lady Radia posted:

Nah Paradox game mods are mostly around.. fake, pseudo-JSON? I think it's syntactically consistent (i got really far building out a Discord bot, for example, that processed save files to keep track of MP stats over time), but it's also come a long way in the last.. five years or so? Like we're still a way, way long way from anything like Civ 4's modding, but it's "pretty good". And in fairness always been good for what a lot of mods want to accomplish (and, frankly, MEIOU is a fuckin work of art in the EU4 engine).

Oh, I wish it was syntactially consistent. It's close to being so, but there's the occasional bit that is just off enough to make writing a parser using a simple grammar difficult.