Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I can never tell if Scary Gary is supposed to take place at night and I don't think the colorists can either.

I have done absolutely no research so I am totally ready to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I am very sorry

:sbahj:

All the processed food? So what, you've just got live wheat stalks in the pantry now?

"Copyright 1949" and I don't remember any time travel happening, they just took a train out west. Did the Wild West era never end in Mandrake world?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zereth posted:

All the processed food? So what, you've just got live wheat stalks in the pantry now?
yes, that's them right next to the naturally occurring canned food.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Was that guy who got blown up in the Iraq occupation simulator pre-timeskip? Funky might actually take place in our future, so they’ll reminisce about what they did back during the invasion of Ukraine.
Despite having jumped forward ten years, Funky Winkerbean still takes place in the present day. As does Crankshaft, which didn't jump forward. And both, as I understand it, are written a year in advance. So all that "glad the pandemic's over" stuff isn't Batiuk writing about what that will be like in ten years, it's him writing (a year ago) what he thought things would be like right now.

Zereth posted:

Don't worry, she got rid of those too. Had to. They contained chemicals.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I can never tell if Scary Gary is supposed to take place at night and I don't think the colorists can either.

I have done absolutely no research so I am totally ready to be wrong.

He's a vampire.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

readingatwork posted:

I think the new one is pretty good? :shrug:

My signature has degraded over the years, and only barely resembles my name anymore. It's just scribbles. I was never good at cursive though. I blame being left handed.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Dozeu Bookstore

Boy, uh... things really escalated here.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (January 26-29, 1936)

Hell yeah

And in today's Blueberry: Oh, hey Vigo! Almost forgot you were in his adventure, or Blueberry and co. add kidnapping to their incredibly long list of crimes, or Physician, heal thysel- oh... :(

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My copy of Bootsie's Big 50s showed up today. The artwork is even more gorgeous in print, and it also has a notes section in the back to explain things a modern reader may or may not be able to figure out by themselves. (like the fact that "figures" is an old timey name for the numbers racket). 10/10 would impulse buy again.

Hostile V posted:

I used to have to do cursive in school and I learned how to sign my name along with the rest of the alphabet. Then I went to high school and all I needed to know what to sign my name for various SAT things and applications. Then I got bored and just settled on my initials in vague cursive. Now I just use three scribbles to indicate my initials regularly. Signatures rule, do whatever the gently caress you want, be nub wumbo all the time.

catlord posted:

My signature has degraded over the years, and only barely resembles my name anymore. It's just scribbles. I was never good at cursive though. I blame being left handed.

Boy, uh... things really escalated here.
As a kid, I thought it was weird that my mom's signature was basically just a squiggly line.

Now that I'm an adult who has to sign things a lot for work, my signature is basically just a squiggly line.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

No Compu-Toon on the gocomics site today, good luck Charles Boyce

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Ah, the return of Overboard's vendetta against entomologists.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Here's Guindon:

And I'm dropping J.Wesley Smith for now to go with something completely different.
Think of this new strip as Guindon's evil twin, the yin to his yang, the sour to his sweet, the...

Anyway, have some Gahan Wilson:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/23/02

Brenda Starr 5/30/48

Smokey Stover 12/1/46

Everyday Movies 12/19/34

"I want to get something for a sap."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Don't worry, she got rid of those too. Had to. They contained chemicals.
:hmmyes:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

gleebster posted:

I feel New Nancy is a fine successor to the original, which also had simple, repetitive gags that would-be smartypants make way too much of.

Furthermore,

:golfclap:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

lmao

Giant Ethicist posted:

Dozeu Bookstore

Night Visitors

So a part of this guy's brain just got up and walked away, huh :stonk:

Also I want a donut now

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

End of chapter 2!

:3:

Vintage Valiant (May 28, 1950)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Giant Ethicist posted:

Dozeu Bookstore

This rules. :allears: Monya is great too and it's funny how fast my brain has actually begun to parse Night Visitors.

Jucika "110 - Jucika And The Public Good"

"111 - Jucika Is Getting Fat" NSFW Nudity

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 3/23/02

This is a perfect Get Fuzzy. I love the A.C.R.O.N.Y.M. shirt

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Once again, reminder that Barry is canonically smart enough to skip two grades.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Giant Days x Batman

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

I wish I could remember the attribution of “Kenny man” in my head. I think it might have come from a set-to between manager Kenny Dalgleish and footballer Peter Beardsley… but I’m not sure. I always hear it in a north-eastern accent, though. There’s every chance that it could have been a dream I had. No one is ever going to be able to tell me the answer.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Luann hasn't been posted in a while. Who usually posts it?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Weird thing to get hung up on, but why would a kid this age have a Larry Bird action figure casually? I mean, I guess their dad could've been a Celtics fan in the 80s, but they'd treat that as collectable then, they wouldn't just casually have it out....

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Neito posted:

Weird thing to get hung up on, but why would a kid this age have a Larry Bird action figure casually? I mean, I guess their dad could've been a Celtics fan in the 80s, but they'd treat that as collectable then, they wouldn't just casually have it out....

I'm 99% sure that Wallace isn't a present-day strip.

Also note that in the one where Spud throws that Wallace is next in line with his blinged out airplane.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Alterian posted:

Julet Esqu, who apparently hasn't posted anywhere in the forums since last Monday. Here's hoping they're doing okay/found something more worthwhile to do with their time than being part of the stupid dead newspaper comics thread on the stupid dead forum. I'll help us play catch-up.

PREVIOUSLY:

And now, the thrilling conclusion:

(What a dumb story, glad it's over. Though I do like the punchline here.)

Really hitting the zeitgeist here by talking about Michael Jackson, who died 13 years ago. Also I'm sure today's teenz love Michael and don't know him primarily as a punchline/child molester.

(I'll make the same lazy edit twice. You can't stop me.)

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 24, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 28, 1950)

:allears: I hope Rufus Regan is one of those people who is always referred to by their full name.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

CommonShore posted:

I'm 99% sure that Wallace isn't a present-day strip.

Also note that in the one where Spud throws that Wallace is next in line with his blinged out airplane.

Wallace is indeed a present-day strip, according to Will Henry. The kids have cell phones and modern video games, they just don't appear that often because Will himself is a luddite who hates tech and still uses a flip phone.

None of this explains the Larry Bird other than I assume all New England children are assigned a piece of Larry Bird memorabillia at birth.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

he was probably doing something ironical for the tweetervines

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Or he just found it in the house. Kids pick things up.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

can we be certain it's not gang related

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Larry Bird Gang

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Alterian posted:

What is wrong with you?

JethroMcB posted:

Julet Esqu, who apparently hasn't posted anywhere in the forums since last Monday. Here's hoping they're doing okay/found something more worthwhile to do with their time than being part of the stupid dead newspaper comics thread on the stupid dead forum. I'll help us play catch-up.

PREVIOUSLY:

Oh goddammit.

Modesty Blaise: The Gabriel Set-Up

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 24, 2022

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I assume Rufus Regan was a real person who payed to be in the strip like the fursonas in K&K

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (quadruple Crosby edition)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Vargo posted:

Wallace is indeed a present-day strip, according to Will Henry. The kids have cell phones and modern video games, they just don't appear that often because Will himself is a luddite who hates tech and still uses a flip phone.

None of this explains the Larry Bird other than I assume all New England children are assigned a piece of Larry Bird memorabillia at birth.

As a native Bostonian, I'll say it's more likely David Ortiz or Tom Brady at this point; the Sox and the Patriots are way more popular than the Celtics these days.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

TEENS RULE

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"So...do you like square buildings?"

The Phantom

"Look, Mozz, we both know Heloise is gonna take over anyways, right?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

drat. Guess I'm stuck continuing to post this strip then.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

She's gonna go home with him and Janice is gonna be there and it's gonna be good.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 24, 2022

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

drat. Guess I'm stuck continuing to post this strip then.

We haven't ruled out the baby's name being Sarah Jr. yet

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doomykins posted:

This rules. :allears: Monya is great too and it's funny how fast my brain has actually begun to parse Night Visitors.

Jucika "110 - Jucika And The Public Good"

"111 - Jucika Is Getting Fat" NSFW Nudity

Can I just say, I find it genuinely endearing how you always hide Jucika's nudity behind spoiler blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

The timing of this strip continues to be the worst.