Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
All ships are always trying to catch themselves on fire so if you’re not careful, they catch fire.

There was a ten year period where every ship I personally dealt with caught fire. Usually without my help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Well, the good news is that it's easy to keep them from catching fire. :v:

sink 'em

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
If you're on a ship that hasn't had a fire I would start looking right now.

Why bother trying to flood through the e suction check valve, just pull a sea strainer with the cadet, good chance they open the inlet valve cause they "want to see the water come out".

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Big ship arsonist has infiltrated the thread.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

All ships are always trying to catch themselves on fire so if you’re not careful, they catch fire.

There was a ten year period where every ship I personally dealt with caught fire. Usually without my help.

Where were you July 12, 2020?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/covertshores/status/1506996497405128710?s=21

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Can we confirm that Two Finger didn't pick up a side gig servicing generators on Russian naval vessels?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/capt_navy/status/1506951642976964613?s=21

Decent video of the other two ships getting the gently caress outta there.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Fitting that pictures of flaming ships are being posted as I read this article:

https://www.businessinsider.com/nato-official-40000-russian-troops-have-been-killed-captured-injured-2022-3?utm_source=reddit.com

NATO is saying 40,000 Russians are dead, wounded, or captured.

40,000 people. This is insane. Can someone tell Putin to stop punching himself in the dick?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cimber posted:

Where were you July 12, 2020?

Southern California, why?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Can we confirm that Two Finger didn't pick up a side gig servicing generators on Russian naval vessels?

We cannot confirm or deny.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Southern California, why?

Oh, just curious.

*runs off to call NCIS*

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

If I'm not mistaken, the ship on fire is the Orsk and the fleeing ships are Ceasar Kunikov and Novocherkassk.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

ASAPI posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/nato-official-40000-russian-troops-have-been-killed-captured-injured-2022-3?utm_source=reddit.com

40,000 people. This is insane. Can someone tell Putin to stop punching himself in the dick?

I think thats the high end of the estimation range, so of course the media runs with it. I think the actual estimate is more like....20,000 casualties. Which is loving insane.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the ship on fire is the Orsk and the fleeing ships are Ceasar Kunikov and Novocherkassk.

Da red ones sink fasta

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Cimber posted:

Ship is wrecked and is just going to be salvage. Internal heat is going to melt everything inside the hull.

Thats one ship. Whats worse for the Russians is that dock is going to be unusable for at least a week before they can pull out the wreck and scuttle it. Thats assuming the dock isn't damaged in the fire. The cranes needed for unloading might well be damaged/warped as well from the heat.

Going off current US capability and resources, if thats the Orsk its probably a pretty big deal. MARAD puts a pretty high value on ship to shore cranes when it comes to MSP vessels and it looks like the other LSTs don't have gantry cranes from a quick glance. Port infrastructure being damaged would just emphasize the importance.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Cimber posted:

I think thats the high end of the estimation range, so of course the media runs with it. I think the actual estimate is more like....20,000 casualties. Which is loving insane.

Previously people have posted numbers like 10,000-17,000 dead and 17,000+ wounded. Add in deserters and captures and 40,000 is not unreasonable

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have found a prime suspect in the destruction of an LST.

quote:

TASS Russian news agency

“Due to our competencies and major experience in military projects we would like to build a series of big amphibious assault ships, which the Russian Navy needs,” Ilya Samarin said. [CEO of Russia's Yantar Shipyard]

Slipways will be freed in the first half of 2022, as ships are floated. “To rule out idle time and ensure a rhythmical load of production facilities, we are working to attract new orders,” he noted

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

NightGyr posted:

Previously people have posted numbers like 10,000-17,000 dead and 17,000+ wounded. Add in deserters and captures and 40,000 is not unreasonable
That's like 22% of the entire force reported to be involved in the invasion. Still a long way to go for Stalingrad or Napoleon's Army in Russia numbers, but goddamn.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Any of these causality estimates are extremely low confidence but even just as far as a ballpark wild-rear end guess goes it's clear there are going to be a lot of unhappy families in Russia.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Losing this many troops before even getting into serious city warfare is a bad sign for the Russian Army, heavens know how many casualties they'll take trying to secure Mariupol.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
According to the Institute for the Study of War maps, Russians are already deep within Mariupol on all sides.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ChaseSP posted:

Losing this many troops before even getting into serious city warfare is a bad sign for the Russian Army, heavens know how many casualties they'll take trying to secure Mariupol.

Can’t lose troops to urban warfare if the city’s demolished. :head tap.gif:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Can’t lose troops to urban warfare if the city’s demolished. :head tap.gif:

Is it still urban if it's now a pile of rubble with snipers and atgm teams behind everything that can give the slightest amount of cover?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mozi posted:

Any of these causality estimates are extremely low confidence but even just as far as a ballpark wild-rear end guess goes it's clear there are going to be a lot of unhappy families in Russia.

The 40k number came from a NATO intelligence official, so it may be based upon SIGINT and HUMINT more than OSINT, and therefore a bit more accurate. With that being said, I'm not sure even Russia knows how many troops they have left at this point.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

NightGyr posted:

Enough KIAs to fill a division, and this is all they have to show for it :stare:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They started with ~100K so that’s not good. Pooty decimated a giant chunk of their overall military because he’s a dumb weiner with delusions of grandeur.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ASAPI posted:

Don't forget that they're mostly ethnic minorities from Russia!

Putin said he'd show us a genocide...

:smith:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mozi posted:

The fact that two different sources looked at with two sets of data and came to a similar enough answer kind of increases the confidence from low to "i'd bet a 20".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Casimir Radon posted:

They started with ~100K so that’s not good. Pooty decimated a giant chunk of their overall military because he’s a dumb weiner with delusions of grandeur.

I thought it was 200k.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1506997848348446722?t=j-ca3oTeHrBwbZyXkdVD1w&s=19

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Zamujasa posted:

Well, the good news is that it's easy to keep them from catching fire. :v:

sink 'em

What if their holds are full of cesium?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Aw, the T-72 hasn't come out of hibernation yet.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I don't know about you guys but if I'm fleeing for my life from the marauding army of an ethno-nationalist mafia state, the one thing I know would make everything ok is some Jesus.

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1507019467519275028?s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mr. Nice! posted:

I thought it was 200k.

Iirc it was like, 190k amassed but only so many pushed in at first, leaving reserves to the north and east. Now all but like 5% of the reserves have moved in and are promptly loving up like those that cut the trail.

And Belarus is still mulling over entry.

Nice title. Who'd you piss off? Cspam?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Iirc it was like, 190k amassed but only so many pushed in at first, leaving reserves to the north and east. Now all but like 5% of the reserves have moved in and are promptly loving up like those that cut the trail.

And Belarus is still mulling over entry.

Nice title. Who'd you piss off? Cspam?

The messaging coming out of Belarus is wild right now.

I am hearing everything from, "we are ready to invade!" to "the military is threatening to mutiny if they are told to invade"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1507047027695398912?t=ajS9zzhts6_wS0TN3rfPoA&s=19

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I forgot I had this playlist bookmarked from when I went overseas to Africa and wanted to learn about the countries I'd be touring through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eicrsq6K85I

"Ukraine lies on ... an area that has historically served as an invasion superhighway."

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 24, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That tank is showing its belly, meaning its very stressed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Someone give tank a belly rub plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, there's yer problem