Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Some people define initiative as something like “invent a new tool or process to get my 15 hours of work done in 3”

Other people define initiative as something like “create an entirely new line of business without consulting legal to understand regulatory compliance and misappropriating resources from other funded lines of business support the new work, while ignoring concepts like market research, and development budget”

One of these gets you a golf clap and pat on the back. The other gets you beaten with a piece of rebar and shoved into an emptyish 55gal drum of trichlor and left in the warehouse.

Some people have trouble with that distinction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

fresh_cheese posted:

Some people define initiative as something like “invent a new tool or process to get my 15 hours of work done in 3”

Other people define initiative as something like “create an entirely new line of business without consulting legal to understand regulatory compliance and misappropriating resources from other funded lines of business support the new work, while ignoring concepts like market research, and development budget”

One of these gets you a golf clap and pat on the back. The other gets you beaten with a piece of rebar and shoved into an emptyish 55gal drum of trichlor and left in the warehouse.

Some people have trouble with that distinction.

Considering how it gets shut down every time even minor process improvements are suggested when they come up at my workplace, I can't tell which is which.

Hate this place.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

SkyeAuroline posted:

Considering how it gets shut down every time even minor process improvements are suggested when they come up at my workplace, I can't tell which is which.

Hate this place.

That feel when nobody remembers why you have to perform some obscure operation that does not seem to do anything, but theyre all too chicken to ask anyone else about it or to just try skipping the step for a while to see what happens.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The first one gets you in the chem vat for ruining someone's doss job.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Love my boss having a mandatory meeting where he tells our whole team about his process for making and marketing his personal NFTs. Oh boy, you got in Andy Milonakis' mentions and got into the discord community of Skullbutts or whatever and there's still another hour of this poo poo. He's had NFTs as his pet project since every other dumbass got into them, so nearly all communication from him to the team is about NFTs. We do creative for a huge consumer product/industrial company that would never get involved with this. I would just mute it if I didn't have a 1-on-1 with him tomorrow that I am just generally anxious about.

It just feels like a loving Herbalife pitch I have to keep hearing over and over from a guy who could fire me.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shugojin posted:

they want initiative (to do more work) and passion (to stay late and do more work) (so they get more work done without paying people more)

This poo poo is so toxic. Everytime we hire someone they want to show how dedicated they are and work long hours. I just want to see what they can do in 37.5 hours a week. You don't owe the company anything over the hours we pay you for.

My current thought on how to get folk to commit to less work is to plan the sprint then get them to remove the lowest priority 20% of the tickets.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Aramoro posted:

This poo poo is so toxic. Everytime we hire someone they want to show how dedicated they are and work long hours. I just want to see what they can do in 37.5 hours a week. You don't owe the company anything over the hours we pay you for.

My current thought on how to get folk to commit to less work is to plan the sprint then get them to remove the lowest priority 20% of the tickets.

My leadership team must not keep a skills matrix or assignment sheet. They have no value without these. I wish I could throw them all out and just run the team organically myself.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hate this place.

Yeah taking initiative with bad management reminds me of trying to ask bad roommates to turn the oven off when not in use or lock the front door when nobody’s home and getting sarcastic replies. Not worth your time to treat those folk as adults and you learn to do critical stuff without mentioning it and look for an exit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thedangergroove posted:

Love my boss having a mandatory meeting where he tells our whole team about his process for making and marketing his personal NFTs. Oh boy, you got in Andy Milonakis' mentions and got into the discord community of Skullbutts or whatever and there's still another hour of this poo poo. He's had NFTs as his pet project since every other dumbass got into them, so nearly all communication from him to the team is about NFTs. We do creative for a huge consumer product/industrial company that would never get involved with this. I would just mute it if I didn't have a 1-on-1 with him tomorrow that I am just generally anxious about.

It just feels like a loving Herbalife pitch I have to keep hearing over and over from a guy who could fire me.

Do you have a meeting with your skip level? Because I wonder if your boss's boss knows this is how he's wasting company time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Skip boss knows, he's waiting for some of you idiots to buy the NFTs he minted.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Motronic posted:

Do you have a meeting with your skip level? Because I wonder if your boss's boss knows this is how he's wasting company time.
The comedy option here is that Skip Boss doesn’t know about this and is pissed off when he learns about it - but only because he’s trying to shill his own version of shitcoin NFT and doesn’t want someone muscling in on his turf.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

About 8 months ago at my previous company a lady who had been hired for some very amorphous executive job that none of us could figure held a meeting where she talked about NFTs for an hour and marketed her husband's NFT art. A few months after that she was let go. That's a plus for the company, but sadly they followed up that by failing to meet their deadlines on several major projects, trying and failing to negotiate change orders, getting project pulled, and then laying off most of the crew a week before Christmas. Then they didn't pay vacation or accumulated OT pay until prior employees pursued legal action.

In the past month 90% of their senior talent has left, including people who were there for 15 years or more. The company is now reduced to only being able to hire freelancers for certain days of the week because they can't afford to pay for someone to work an entire week. According to the last contact I have at that company, they've only managed to hire one freelancer. Everyone else turns them down.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

This is the conversation I just had with one of our account managers, nearly verbatim

AM: "Hey are those deposit checks cut yet? We need them there by Monday"

Me: "Not yet, request was denied since the client owes us $100k in unpaid AR"

"Well the vendor stopped work on two jobs until they get paid"

"That's unfortunate, maybe talk to [boss] and let her know the situation? I'll forward you the email"

"I don't see an authorization for payment on this email?"

"There isn't one. Checks are on hold until we get paid by the client."

"Can you ask them to cut them?"

"I did, that was the email and response I forwarded you. Jump in and explain the situation and they might get cut."

*five minutes pass with no emails sent*

AM: "Can we get those checks cut yet?"

At which point I put my Teams status to busy and just walked the gently caress away. This dude may be one of the laziest/dumbest people I've ever worked with and I'm wondering if we should play peekaboo to determine his object permanence.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
What he wants is for you to get so annoyed that you make the uncomfortable client call for him so he doesn't have to be the bad guy. Then he can swoop in and be all "man, those AR people are such jerks, anyways how about that sports team?"

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Hutla posted:

What he wants is for you to get so annoyed that you make the uncomfortable client call for him so he doesn't have to be the bad guy. Then he can swoop in and be all "man, those AR people are such jerks, anyways how about that sports team?"

All account managers typify the 'WHY NOT DONE?!' Mindset. They will complain for hours about having to execute their workflows, deny being export trained, and just not read work instructions.

Then they yell at me, and their big-boss is my mentor. Lol.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Hutla posted:

I'm actually on the AP side so I don't have to make collection calls, fortunately.

He wants me to do any sort of communicating for him. No clue how to put together a legible email whatsoever. Yesterday he sent me an 8 month old invoice and asked me to get it reduced by $3k with the reasoning "Juan finished the work."

I don't know who Juan is or who he works for. Turns out another company had to finish their hosed up work, however we don't have the invoice for the second company, so he expects me to say "Please reduce this invoice we sat on for 8 months by $3k for no provable reason" and get an immediate yes.

I'm off tomorrow so I'm sending the email at like 4:30, telling them to ask him any questions they have, and then logging off.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Double post but here's what's been going on at this clown rodeo for the past month. I've talked about some of this in the thread but it keeps getting more asinine. Note that I've whistleblown on a bunch of this, and the only reason I didn't walk is because my therapy is going well and I need my insurance.

Thursday about a month ago we get an email saying the internet is down at the office and they're working on the server, please WFH if possible.

Following Tuesday we get a ransom email with a bunch of personal info from about 30 employees visible, along with attachments like drug tests and bank statements from the company's checking account. Relay this to my boss, I'm told "Company is aware, being handled, nothing to do with last Thursday." So my immediate thought is we were cracked Thursday and the company sat on it over the weekend. I sprint home and spend a couple hours getting my bank account and CCs locked down.

Radio silence until Thursday, a week from the breach. We are told it did in fact occur the previous Thursday and everyone is getting identity protection paid for by the company.

The following week we get a follow up: they hired a data forensics team and determined who's info was compromised. As such those people are getting the id protection and everyone else should be ok.

I send a pretty angry email, calling that decision unacceptable. We rely on the company keeping our info safe, they didn't do that and waited a week to let anyone know, why should we trust them at their word our info was not affected? Also your infosec is loving garbage, maybe if the default windows password wasn't the first word of our company name this wouldn't have happened.

Get the response that it's not about trust, they have a bunch of experts working on it, if you're so concerned LifeLock is less than $100 a year. In other words, go play a nice game of hide and go gently caress yourself.

The email gets passed around, I have two teams meetings and get called into the office to get a verbal lashing from the VP of Finance. During that meeting I mentioned I already had been talked to twice, next time can we just get a conference room and everyone can scold me simultaneously. That went over as well as you would expect.

They threaten to write me up, I told them to feel free but I'm not signing anything. We end up with me admitting I could have worded things better and that seems to smooth things over.

Fast forward to last Friday, we get another ransom email with a link to a website where they had dumped all the employee data. I forward that to my boss with a smiley face, she screams DONT CLICK THE LINK! in team chat, I assure her I didn't, which was technically correct. I actually plugged the url into an old tablet and downloaded the zip of my info, which was thankfully only name, pic, and personal cell number.

I send another slightly more polite email expressing that I know I had info on that site, they need to make it right and also remove my personal cell from wherever it was found. I'm assured that will happen and they are working on getting everyone ID protection now, like they said they would do in the first place (lol we still don't have it). They also made it a point to mention that technically a phone number is not considered PII in legal terms but will extend the offer to me anyway. Button up your shirt, your heart is falling out you loving pigs.

We get a very somber email from el presidente expressing regret about the whole thing about an hour later. Blah blah blah I'm over it by this point.

Saturday I'm stoned out of my gourd playing some Elden Ring and getting my rear end handed to me and my cell rings. It's a vendor asking me about invoices. When I'm able to stop stammering and tell him it's my personal phone he's appalled and apologizes profusely, saying someone from my company gave it to him. Turns out they put my personal cell number instead of my work number for everyone in the company to see on our internal site. My pleas to have it removed are ignored until yesterday when I told my coworker and she immediately was able to get in and remove it in about 10 seconds.

I had updated my resume a couple weeks ago and only sent it to a few positions, now it's public and I'm getting recruiter calls up the rear end. None of them fit my demands yet but I'm hopeful they will be soon so I can politely tell these fools to pound sand.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Critical posted:

Double post but here's what's been going on at this clown rodeo for the past month. I've talked about some of this in the thread but it keeps getting more asinine. Note that I've whistleblown on a bunch of this, and the only reason I didn't walk is because my therapy is going well and I need my insurance.

Thursday about a month ago we get an email saying the internet is down at the office and they're working on the server, please WFH if possible.

Following Tuesday we get a ransom email with a bunch of personal info from about 30 employees visible, along with attachments like drug tests and bank statements from the company's checking account. Relay this to my boss, I'm told "Company is aware, being handled, nothing to do with last Thursday." So my immediate thought is we were cracked Thursday and the company sat on it over the weekend. I sprint home and spend a couple hours getting my bank account and CCs locked down.

Radio silence until Thursday, a week from the breach. We are told it did in fact occur the previous Thursday and everyone is getting identity protection paid for by the company.

The following week we get a follow up: they hired a data forensics team and determined who's info was compromised. As such those people are getting the id protection and everyone else should be ok.

I send a pretty angry email, calling that decision unacceptable. We rely on the company keeping our info safe, they didn't do that and waited a week to let anyone know, why should we trust them at their word our info was not affected? Also your infosec is loving garbage, maybe if the default windows password wasn't the first word of our company name this wouldn't have happened.

Get the response that it's not about trust, they have a bunch of experts working on it, if you're so concerned LifeLock is less than $100 a year. In other words, go play a nice game of hide and go gently caress yourself.

The email gets passed around, I have two teams meetings and get called into the office to get a verbal lashing from the VP of Finance. During that meeting I mentioned I already had been talked to twice, next time can we just get a conference room and everyone can scold me simultaneously. That went over as well as you would expect.

They threaten to write me up, I told them to feel free but I'm not signing anything. We end up with me admitting I could have worded things better and that seems to smooth things over.

Fast forward to last Friday, we get another ransom email with a link to a website where they had dumped all the employee data. I forward that to my boss with a smiley face, she screams DONT CLICK THE LINK! in team chat, I assure her I didn't, which was technically correct. I actually plugged the url into an old tablet and downloaded the zip of my info, which was thankfully only name, pic, and personal cell number.

I send another slightly more polite email expressing that I know I had info on that site, they need to make it right and also remove my personal cell from wherever it was found. I'm assured that will happen and they are working on getting everyone ID protection now, like they said they would do in the first place (lol we still don't have it). They also made it a point to mention that technically a phone number is not considered PII in legal terms but will extend the offer to me anyway. Button up your shirt, your heart is falling out you loving pigs.

We get a very somber email from el presidente expressing regret about the whole thing about an hour later. Blah blah blah I'm over it by this point.

Saturday I'm stoned out of my gourd playing some Elden Ring and getting my rear end handed to me and my cell rings. It's a vendor asking me about invoices. When I'm able to stop stammering and tell him it's my personal phone he's appalled and apologizes profusely, saying someone from my company gave it to him. Turns out they put my personal cell number instead of my work number for everyone in the company to see on our internal site. My pleas to have it removed are ignored until yesterday when I told my coworker and she immediately was able to get in and remove it in about 10 seconds.

I had updated my resume a couple weeks ago and only sent it to a few positions, now it's public and I'm getting recruiter calls up the rear end. None of them fit my demands yet but I'm hopeful they will be soon so I can politely tell these fools to pound sand.

Holy poo poo

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My company has been doing a lot of vague encouragement to get people back into the office. At the same time, they're also rolling out a bunch of tools for things like password resets that... Require the use of the VPN. Even in the office and connected to a network cable :psypop:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Cthulu Carl posted:

My company has been doing a lot of vague encouragement to get people back into the office. At the same time, they're also rolling out a bunch of tools for things like password resets that... Require the use of the VPN. Even in the office and connected to a network cable :psypop:

Hey, look on the bright side - could be worse practices. Ours disabled password changes & resets for users. For passwords that expire every 3 months. You get the password IT assigns you and sends you in a plain text email.

Great.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hey, look on the bright side - could be worse practices. Ours disabled password changes & resets for users. For passwords that expire every 3 months. You get the password IT assigns you and sends you in a plain text email.

Great.

Could be still worse.
Office tannoy: "SkyeAuroline, your new password is butt3x5fart. Repeat, …"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Critical posted:

Sounds like they could have handled that a little better

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Zopotantor posted:

Could be still worse.
Office tannoy: "SkyeAuroline, your new password is butt3x5fart. Repeat, …"

When I first started here I was still missing some access and there was one account type I couldn't reset passwords for so I'd have to ask a teammate to do it. One day I asked the dude who liked messing with people and he had me panicked for a second because I thought he'd actually changed the user's password to Beastly69.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Cthulu Carl posted:

This reminds me of the situation at my old job. The sudden 2020 WFH transition had a huge obstacle: the custom production database software refused to work outside the company net. The chosen solution was to spin up a few hundred virtual machines for us all to remote into. Eventually they even disabled various programs on the actual physical machines (I think mostly to save money on licenses).

Now, there was never actually a return-to-office date set before I got the boot, and I have no idea if they’re still WFH or not. But at some point they confirmed that when it did happen, the setup would stay the same for the foreseeable future. So you would have to go into the office just so you could turn on your beefy iMac specced for design work and use it to remote in to a virtual PC instance.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cthulu Carl posted:

When I first started here I was still missing some access and there was one account type I couldn't reset passwords for so I'd have to ask a teammate to do it. One day I asked the dude who liked messing with people and he had me panicked for a second because I thought he'd actually changed the user's password to Beastly69.

I have to remind employees their office door access codes can't be 42069, 6969, 69420, 8008135, etc. Because everytime we change the codes these are their requests. I'm very proud of my staff.

E: vv noice. HAIL SATAN

Outrail fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 25, 2022

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
My sous chef was giddy with joy when I let him know I'd changed his punch in code to 666 and also had it print HAIL SATAN every time he clocked in

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

pile of brown posted:

My sous chef was giddy with joy when I let him know I'd changed his punch in code to 666 and also had it print HAIL SATAN every time he clocked in

This is what it means to go the extra mile for your employees

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My direct manager, the deputy system team lead, and the full system team lead are all gone and I'm the most senior functional team lead.

Nature abhors a vacuum, so I may be the youngest system lead this place has ever seen.

Lol. I should probably gtfo.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

My direct manager, the deputy system team lead, and the full system team lead are all gone and I'm the most senior functional team lead.

Nature abhors a vacuum, so I may be the youngest system lead this place has ever seen.

Lol. I should probably gtfo.

get that title upgrade first

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Shugojin posted:

get that title upgrade first

I'm putting it on there anyway, 'acting xxxx' shows that you operate in good faith and is an easy explanation of why you're job shopping, and an open warning to the folks you interview with, showing a hard boundary.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Now that I'm working 10 hours a week of OT on 1st shift, I found out that most of the WFH people are back full-time...

Except HR, she's there 2-3 days a week. The same HR who told 3rd shift we were gonna have to buckle down and come to work at 5PM the day a snow storm turned into an ice storm 2 months ago, from her home where it was the worst, who was superceded by our actual boss 30 minutes later.

The receptionist for a place that gets like 3 outside visitors a week is full-time back on and required to be, but HR at a plant that is (supposedly) actively shutting down isn't.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MrQwerty posted:

Now that I'm working 10 hours a week of OT on 1st shift, I found out that most of the WFH people are back full-time...

Except HR, she's there 2-3 days a week. The same HR who told 3rd shift we were gonna have to buckle down and come to work at 5PM the day a snow storm turned into an ice storm 2 months ago, from her home where it was the worst, who was superceded by our actual boss 30 minutes later.

The receptionist for a place that gets like 3 outside visitors a week is full-time back on and required to be, but HR at a plant that is (supposedly) actively shutting down isn't.

What's going to happen, she gets fired? You can't be fired if you're the only person in HR, there's no one else to do the paperwork.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

When I worked for a state agency 10 years ago, the HR person and the clerical/accounting person who worked our division's front desk would stand at the window overlooking the parking lot to make sure people were making it in on time to the minute. If they didn't see you on our floor by 9:00 am, or at 1:00 pm after lunch, they'd harass you. If you tried to sneak out before 5:00 pm, they'd ask if you'd been approved for leave. I got sick of it so I'd gently caress with them by coming in a side door and going straight to the lab and not appearing at my desk for an hour or so. They'd get absolutely furious and petty and vindictive when you refused to give a poo poo about their little passive aggressive power games. It got so obnoxious that people would occasionally blast them division wide. I dug up this great email the other day:

quote:

As per division policy I am writing to inform staff that I have a doctor’s apt today. I will be in the field tomorrow (Tuesday). That same afternoon I will take annual leave of 3 hours. Wednesday and Thursday I plan to visit healthcare professionals again so I may or may not come in on those days but I will let someone on staff know so more email may be sent. Friday the 10th I will be leaving at 230 taking two more hours of annual leave.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Finally got an interview request; from a company I didn't even remember applying to. After some back and forth with the HR person it turns out this position is for designing kitchen equipment (aka boring as hell), and is actually entry level with a $23-$27/hr pay range. Just sent the "I don't think I'd be a good fit for this position" email, thats a first for me.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I think I might be getting voluntold to change my hours to 1030-700 to be a remote team lead for a phone hotline team in a different time zone.

If I was getting the faux manager 15% pay bump, I'd wince and do it. But it is really just moving from dealing with workflows and projects, (with the occasional question or escalation from hotline reps who can't reach their local lead, because my team barely does phones), to babysitting phone reps full time, with worse hours and no corresponding benefit.

The hotline reps are mostly fine, their manager is decent, I'd eventually get to go back to my normal job and hours...but I just really don't want to. And I know they only asked me because I'm the only qualified person who doesn't have kids.

If it happens...well, I'll have plenty of time in the mornings to look for other things.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

blackmet posted:

I think I might be getting voluntold to change my hours to 1030-700 to be a remote team lead for a phone hotline team in a different time zone.

If I was getting the faux manager 15% pay bump, I'd wince and do it. But it is really just moving from dealing with workflows and projects, (with the occasional question or escalation from hotline reps who can't reach their local lead, because my team barely does phones), to babysitting phone reps full time, with worse hours and no corresponding benefit.

The hotline reps are mostly fine, their manager is decent, I'd eventually get to go back to my normal job and hours...but I just really don't want to. And I know they only asked me because I'm the only qualified person who doesn't have kids.

If it happens...well, I'll have plenty of time in the mornings to look for other things.

I hope your company likes replacing your broken phone

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Volmarias posted:

What's going to happen, she gets fired? You can't be fired if you're the only person in HR, there's no one else to do the paperwork.

one of the best slide-in when a dude retired grifts I have ever seen

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I was in a call yesterday and mentioned a part we had purchased for a program on overhead because the customer had failed to provide funding, despite us asking for valid charge numbers for three months, was going to be on dock in a week. The customer flipped out, doing that quiet-angry voice about how I was useless and if it was on Amazon how I should have just bought it with my personal Prime account and billed it back to the company. On one hand: yeah, we have a tight schedule and we're expected to deliver by the middle of next month and are buying a card we've never used before and will need to program around. I can understand why he's anxious about this. On the other: gently caress you. I guess no one had told the customer I was leaving the team next week and he got flustered when I pushed back on him for effectively stalling the program for three months when he didn't get new funding, which was why we couldn't purchase anything or work on the parts we had gotten delivered before the new year. Magically, we had money ready to spend the next day.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I have to remind employees their office door access codes can't be 42069, 6969, 69420, 8008135, etc. Because everytime we change the codes these are their requests. I'm very proud of my staff.

E: vv noice. HAIL SATAN

I like to use 6969 as any 4digit PIN, but only because the numbers are next to each other on the NumPad I swear :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
We had to set up some new AWS thing and they said "for the port number just use any 5 digits except XXXXX which is already being used." Being a mature individual, of course I set my port number as 42069. And then because the instructions they gave us were absolutely terrible I ended up having to walk the rest of my team through it on a google meet so everyone got to see my setup. Luckily my boss was a fun dude with a sense of humor so he was giggling while the other two older ladies on the team didn't notice.