Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

loading... posted:

now that we're 100% openerup i am becoming more and more alienated from more and more of my friends whose social media posts indicate they are incredibly selfish and will gladly spread a horribly infectious, deadly, mass disabling disease at every available opportunity, until i have no one left

I feel like you just have to live with that cognitive dissonance or have no friends. As a married adult American man/goon, my long-time friendships were already pretty distant to begin with so it hasn't been too hard.

Unless someone has succeeded with that doomed covidmeetup site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

loading... posted:

now that we're 100% openerup i am becoming more and more alienated from more and more of my friends whose social media posts indicate they are incredibly selfish and will gladly spread a horribly infectious, deadly, mass disabling disease at every available opportunity, until i have no one left

:hai:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Welcome to the obscure diseases thread where we wax nostalgic over long ended diseases like covid-19. Remember back in the day when people actually caught that? Wild time, glad it’s behind us though.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Barry Soteriology posted:

how is everyone doing?

not good

in fact the opposite of good

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if something like TB made a resurgence how would we handle it? would people voluntarily mask up out of fear in places where mandates are banned?

:rubby:

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/madmoneyoncnbc/status/1506949169558302726?s=21

https://twitter.com/tgarcianyc/status/1506956795700551680?s=21

This is why we must opener

https://twitter.com/sunsentinel/status/1507047235384717313?s=21

Wait

quote:

Orlando-based Darden Restaurants was hit hard by the omicron variant of the coronavirus pandemic in January, with more than 13,000 employees missing work that month, company leaders revealed Thursday.

The owner of Olive Garden and other chain restaurants in January saw employees unable to work at a level three times greater than the monthly peak it experienced during the earlier delta variant, said chief operating officer Rick Cardenas. Darden has about 175,000 employees.

Some restaurants were down as much as 40% of their staff and others needed to limit hours or only offer takeout temporarily, Cardenas said.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mawarannahr posted:

if something like TB made a resurgence how would we handle it? would people voluntarily mask up out of fear in places where mandates are banned?

:rubby:

I, personally, would engage in some light vaccine tourism.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

whiggles posted:

Will Covid end? How would it end? When will it end?

How would we know it has ended?

TY

best case scenario rn is a sterilizing vaccine that works on all future variants

but we do not live in the "best case scenario" world lol

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I didn't see the covid xmas tree in the op so heres the news story about it

https://www.twincities.com/2021/01/...-superspreader/

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Mar 24, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Posting in the new covid thread

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
got my honeywell full face in last night. felt invincible when i tried it on.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Shifty Nipples posted:

That's a good op op

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

not_superiority posted:

got my honeywell full face in last night. felt invincible when i tried it on.

:sickos:

Welcome to the Full Face club!

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Shifty Nipples posted:

not good

in fact the opposite of good

i am sorry to hear that, shifty. but also lol same

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Just remember, all those joyful smiles aren't motivated by doing good by children, they're motivated by sticking it to the libs and getting back at people who are telling them what to do.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

best case scenario rn is a sterilizing vaccine that works on all future variants

but we do not live in the "best case scenario" world lol

There's that one the army is developing that is supposed to do this. It's going to be a few years though.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Barry Soteriology posted:

how is everyone doing?

Terrible! I haven't had more than 3 hours of sleep (total, usually in 1 to 2 hour segments) in 4 months thanks to the baby!

Makes covid news all the more stressful!

Lol, and yet, lmao!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can 100% guarantee Ginni Thomas is going to go full-on "a pedophile Democrat conspiracy assassinated my husband" if Clarence Thomas dies of COVID

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Every few weeks I think "my baseline depression and anxiety aren't hitting hard enough, wonder how COVID is doing" and I come to this thread to pump those numbers up. Gonna go lay face down in bed, completely dressed, for hours

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

PostNouveau posted:

I can 100% guarantee Ginni Thomas is going to go full-on "a pedophile Democrat conspiracy assassinated my husband" if Clarence Thomas dies of COVID
man that would own

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lmao those staff aren't coming back

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

lol I'm on a work call and one guy is sitting in a cubicle when pretty much everyone else, including the managers and CEO, are working from home. so I guess he just goes to the empty office to sit in a depressing beige room all by himself

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

all the reports say it isnt covid, so are we assuming theyre full of poo poo? which is probably the case

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Lmao those staff aren't coming back

Good, 9 out of 10 of those restaurants need to close

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gio posted:

all the reports say it isnt covid, so are we assuming theyre full of poo poo? which is probably the case

look at the stats for how many people pick up covid in the hospital

if he didn’t go in with it, he probably has it by now

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
Holy poo poo Trixie, some first post.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Should have called it Scorpion because it has a habit of tearing into peoples' ribcages

No the one that breaks all your ribs is the centipede variant.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mistermojo posted:

lol I'm on a work call and one guy is sitting in a cubicle when pretty much everyone else, including the managers and CEO, are working from home. so I guess he just goes to the empty office to sit in a depressing beige room all by himself

he's jackin it

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Haha sitting here listening to an all hands where our CEO is hitting every single "loving liberals" bingo square I had on my card.

"So happy to see your smiling faces! Glad to be on the other end of this pandemic!"

Fuckers. :unsmigghh:

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

mistermojo posted:

We have a guy like this. He also spends every meeting just staring down at his phone and gets called out for it regularly, which makes me wonder (1) why he has his camera on, since plenty of other people don’t, and (2) why he does not want to wfh, where he surely would have more entertaining things to do than stare at his phone. Maybe he really hates his roommates

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Just a reminder that excess deaths are actually up by 40% over pre-pandemic levels so that 1 million death count is probably comically lowballing it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/07/true-number-covid-deaths-us-likely-undercounted-experts

That's among people aged 18 to 64. The overall death rate is up 18%.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Objective Action posted:

Haha sitting here listening to an all hands where our CEO is hitting every single "loving liberals" bingo square I had on my card.

"So happy to see your smiling faces! Glad to be on the other end of this pandemic!"

Fuckers. :unsmigghh:

To be a Leader in America it is absolutely necessary that you have the memory of a goldfish. Remembering even three months back is completely illegal.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

ah, so, milder

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

this last month has been such a shitshow. just off the top of my head

1. Impact Research releases a memo saying the dems can win the midterms by declaring victory over covid (https://punchbowl.news/wp-content/uploads/IMPACT-COVID-positioning-strategy-memo.pdf)

2. CDC gets the memo and rewrites the community transmission guidelines so that high transmission is actually low transmission now. Masks are now only recommended when cases have already reached critical mass. All states drop mask mandates almost immediately.

3. Ezekial Emmanuel, a man who once wrote on op-ed about why it's good for society when old people die earlier, releases a roadmap for living with covid. (https://www.covidroadmap.org/) The roadmap claims that we are approaching endemicity, and we will have achieved it when we reach fewer than 60,000 deaths per year from covid, RSV, and flu combined. (we are already over 20,000 dead from COVID this month) The roadmap calls for a ton of vaccine research and for free covid treatment.

4. biden announces a test to treat program where people can get free covid testing, and free covid treatment if they test positive

5. congress drops all federal funding for covid, completely killing the goals outlined in the roadmap, and the test to treat program, while making our already useless CDC community transmission map even worse

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

if something like TB made a resurgence how would we handle it?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

whiggles posted:

Will Covid end? How would it end? When will it end?

How would we know it has ended?

TY

I wrote about this in the last thread, this was my answer:

I would say the pandemic is over when covid kills and disables no more people than a typical flu season, and isn't at risk of coming back. Here are some ways that could happen:

1) Covid cases are brought to zero everywhere
2) A 100% effective vaccine that doesn't wear off is introduced
3) A highly effective cure is discovered that can be cheaply mass-produced
4) A cross-reactive variant with a very low fatality rate outcompetes all other variants (Omicron's fatality rate is ten times too high to be the "vaccine variant")
5) A major drought-induced famine happens and covid becomes the least of our problems

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

U-DO Burger posted:

this last month has been such a shitshow. just off the top of my head

1. Impact Research releases a memo saying the dems can win the midterms by declaring victory over covid (https://punchbowl.news/wp-content/uploads/IMPACT-COVID-positioning-strategy-memo.pdf)

2. CDC gets the memo and rewrites the community transmission guidelines so that high transmission is actually low transmission now. Masks are now only recommended when cases have already reached critical mass. All states drop mask mandates almost immediately.

3. Ezekial Emmanuel, a man who once wrote on op-ed about why it's good for society when old people die earlier, releases a roadmap for living with covid. (https://www.covidroadmap.org/) The roadmap claims that we are approaching endemicity, and we will have achieved it when we reach fewer than 60,000 deaths per year from covid, RSV, and flu combined. (we are already over 20,000 dead from COVID this month) The roadmap calls for a ton of vaccine research and for free covid treatment.

4. biden announces a test to treat program where people can get free covid testing, and free covid treatment if they test positive

5. congress drops all federal funding for covid, completely killing the goals outlined in the roadmap, and the test to treat program, while making our already useless CDC community transmission map even worse
cool

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

covid? no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Clarence is probably at home chillin enjoying trolling everyone hoping for his death