Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Play posted:

In case anyone's curious, after Corral at QB1 it goes:

https://twitter.com/CSimmsQB/status/1506085092413878275

Which I don't TOTALLY disagree with, but I do agree with whoever said it's mostly a hedge. Because I don't think those top two guys will be all that good and the only guy who has a real chance to change a franchise is Willis.

But like, if the Saints draft Corral or Pickett could they have success on a good team? Sure.

Howell over Ridder is completely insane. Give me Strong or Zappe over Howell too. Otherwise, yeah, this is all a calculus of “could this guy theoretically change the franchise?” And I think there are like 2.5 guys capable of that from a ceiling standpoint in Willis, Ridder, and Strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

These are hilariously bad comps.
https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1507061282083688451

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

https://twitter.com/JacobJo36624708/status/1507063271228162053?t=y5oHPpObad4Yew45u9BSRg&s=19

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

lmao hey however bad my Pickett > Daniel Jones comp might've been at least it wasn't these

it's a little unique this year because two of the top prospects, maybe THE two top prospects depending on who you ask (London and Williams), didn't test in the combine. I assume Williams won't test at all, but I think London will be having a pro day (looks like he's having a personal pro day rather than doing it with USC, which is pretty interesting).

I think it's a good to very good receiver class, but not excellent or historic or anything

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Ah yes, “Fast Keenan Allen”

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I suppose one would hope. (he apparently had a pcl strain and only ran this at his pro day).

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lmao

Guys this crop is something. We’ve got the “Tall Vincent Jackson” and the “Agile Jaylan Waddle”

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Where's my more explosive Randy Moss?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Julio has like 5 inches and 40 pounds on Garrett Wilson.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^^^ what he said

https://twitter.com/kent_swanson/status/1507063804731047937?s=21

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Lol at talking about mid first rounders like they are garunteed to resemble borderline Hall of famers.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I saw one mock that had the Chiefs drafting Kenneth Walker III at the end of the first. That would loving own.

I realize he made headlines at MSU but Wake Forest had him first, and lemme tell you, he would loving FEAST on the Chiefs unless he completely fell off. The Wake teams he was successful on actually ran very similar (in terms of sensibilities) offenses to what the Chiefs do: we had big, playmaking receivers and tried to hit big plays off that. Walker was a beast at MSU in a run-first system, but he was also popping off at Wake Forest. That idea intrigues the hell out of me, and it'd give me another reason to be pro-Chiefs :)

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Drake london is literally a better Keenan Allen comparison.

Wilson to Julio is utterly insane but at least less bad because they’re both going to be high usage targets even if Wilson just doesn’t have the hips or vertical threat Julio did.

Olave is a pure vertical threat who takes plays off and hates contact. Keenan Allen is…a vertical contested catch guy who doesn’t do that?

Dan is a “if you haven’t played quarterback don’t judge quarterbacks” guy so maybe he’s just projecting his own inadequacies here.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does people these days still remember what kind of player Keyshawn was? I dont

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does people these days still remember what kind of player Keyshawn was? I dont

I remember his year in Carolina but not much else.

Well other than how excited he was to mentor Dwayne Jarrett the WR they took in the 2nd out of USC only for the team to cut him like a week later and then for Jarrett to do 0 in the NFL because he struggled with adjusting to the pro game, went into his shell under Steve Smith's angry leadership style and never did anything in his career.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I saw one mock that had the Chiefs drafting Kenneth Walker III at the end of the first. That would loving own.

I realize he made headlines at MSU but Wake Forest had him first, and lemme tell you, he would loving FEAST on the Chiefs unless he completely fell off. The Wake teams he was successful on actually ran very similar (in terms of sensibilities) offenses to what the Chiefs do: we had big, playmaking receivers and tried to hit big plays off that. Walker was a beast at MSU in a run-first system, but he was also popping off at Wake Forest. That idea intrigues the hell out of me, and it'd give me another reason to be pro-Chiefs :)

Chiefs fans would riot in the streets if they drafted another RB in the first

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I absolutely love Kenneth Walker. I know he's not getting RB1 or even RB2 attention but I think he MAY be the best RB in this draft. Despite Breece Hall showing out big time at the combine.

That being said not sure that would be the best call for the Chiefs, they should probably focus on defense.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheGreyGhost posted:

Howell over Ridder is completely insane. Give me Strong or Zappe over Howell too. Otherwise, yeah, this is all a calculus of “could this guy theoretically change the franchise?” And I think there are like 2.5 guys capable of that from a ceiling standpoint in Willis, Ridder, and Strong.

I think Howell's going high because of his ability to dink and dunk in a RPO. He has that knack of where to put a ball which looks like he's turfing it but in reality he throws in practice how he would in game situations. He's not the prettiest looking QB when he plays but he generally gets the job done. Has a decent enough deep ball and can hit out routes. Not the strongest but decent. He also can run the RPO like Corral even though he doesn't look nearly as squirrely. Will probably die in the NFL trying that as well. Similar offense too. Lots of play actions out of the shotgun that set up quick developing routes that Howell just has to hit. I mean it's no coincidence that Corral, Pickett, and Howell are all running these similar offenses and finding success by just not being unbelievably stupid and hitting their good WRs. I think Howell's arm is way more traditional than Corral or Pickett too. Long, over the top delivery. Makes him about as accurate as Pickett even though his deep ball looks way slower than Corral's. Still results in NFL quality passes. Every now and then a nice rope appears too. Not sure if it's just him hitting a perfect mechanic or what but it's inconsistent. Still shows potential.

Also Chris Simms predictions all seem to be CFB production with a weird mix of one year wonders and multi year starters. Howell was a big name since his freshman year. Same thing with Lamar, Murray, and Herbert.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Doltos posted:

I think Howell's going high because of his ability to dink and dunk in a RPO. He has that knack of where to put a ball which looks like he's turfing it but in reality he throws in practice how he would in game situations. He's not the prettiest looking QB when he plays but he generally gets the job done. Has a decent enough deep ball and can hit out routes. Not the strongest but decent. He also can run the RPO like Corral even though he doesn't look nearly as squirrely. Will probably die in the NFL trying that as well. Similar offense too. Lots of play actions out of the shotgun that set up quick developing routes that Howell just has to hit. I mean it's no coincidence that Corral, Pickett, and Howell are all running these similar offenses and finding success by just not being unbelievably stupid and hitting their good WRs. I think Howell's arm is way more traditional than Corral or Pickett too. Long, over the top delivery. Makes him about as accurate as Pickett even though his deep ball looks way slower than Corral's. Still results in NFL quality passes. Every now and then a nice rope appears too. Not sure if it's just him hitting a perfect mechanic or what but it's inconsistent. Still shows potential.

I guess that’s my big point of confusion. He runs as much of a fisher price offense as Corral, maybe more so since his line was so bad they had to constrain things a lot. Not sure I agree about the arm—he’s got a super violent delivery for how slow the ball looks at times which I can’t for the life of me diagnose beyond his weight transfer not being consistent. I get the whole “moves the chains and doesnt gently caress up” archetype, but he clearly misses balls even when he makes the right read like against Clemson or really anytime they played a defense with a pulse. Maybe a more consistent supporting cast gets him there, but I just don’t trust a guy who can’t figure out any consistent mechanics who spent 4 years running for his life when it comes to figuring out his feet. It makes me wonder if he’s going to be a Kellen Moore/McCoy type best case unless those mechanics get cleaned up.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Not trying to exactly sell Corral as a franchise QB but I can see why teams would gamble a high pick on him. You get Colt McCoy or you get Kirk Cousins with these middling looking QBs that are successful in college but not that great on tape. Cousins is worth his contract.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Fast Keenan Allen

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Doltos posted:

Not trying to exactly sell Corral as a franchise QB but I can see why teams would gamble a high pick on him. You get Colt McCoy or you get Kirk Cousins with these middling looking QBs that are successful in college but not that great on tape. Cousins is worth his contract.

Yeah, I’m sort of curious when the market starts to correct on this if the cap doesn’t increase drastically moving forward. We have a glut of edges and corners now with very few elite LB/S types largely due to the shift in what’s considered “valuable” in the league and how guys choose positions or get positioned in high school and college right now. I have to believe physically limited game managers have to eventually start taking a haircut on their salaries given that we can confirm that essentially stafford’s deep ball is good for $20m a year over replacement and a super bowl. If the arms race on offense is to threaten anywhere on the field, there’s got to start being a discount for eliminating that possibility.

Anyone have a decent big board site that lists top 250 without having a million pop ups in a printable view?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kiimo posted:

Chiefs fans would riot in the streets if they drafted another RB in the first
Whats the deal with CEH, anyway? Other than his injuries. I know LeSean McCoy took a couple years to really blossom on Andy Reid's system but it feels like CEH is just.... meh.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Whats the deal with CEH, anyway? Other than his injuries. I know LeSean McCoy took a couple years to really blossom on Andy Reid's system but it feels like CEH is just.... meh.

despite his size he is surprisingly slow, with no top end speed (gets caught from behind all the time). Not explosive either, compare how he hits holes to Jerick McKinnon, who instantly became the Chiefs best back in the playoffs

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Pron on VHS posted:

despite his size he is surprisingly slow, with no top end speed (gets caught from behind all the time). Not explosive either, compare how he hits holes to Jerick McKinnon, who instantly became the Chiefs best back in the playoffs

Is McKinnon still a FA? If so the Bucs should sign him.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Instead of CEH we could have taken either Tee Higgins or Jonathan Taylor.

This isn't hindsight, Chiefs fans were pounding the table for both guys. Imagine either one on the Chiefs now.

CEH is slow and also gets hurt with his style. He doesn't do any one thing exceptionally and he won't get a long term deal.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kiimo posted:

Instead of CEH we could have taken either Tee Higgins or Jonathan Taylor.

This isn't hindsight, Chiefs fans were pounding the table for both guys. Imagine either one on the Chiefs now.

CEH is slow and also gets hurt with his style. He doesn't do any one thing exceptionally and he won't get a long term deal.

The weird thing is CEH seemed like a home run, no brainer at the time.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

wandler20 posted:

My exact thought when he was drafted was: “Who? Why?!”

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

No Butt Stuff posted:

My exact thought when he was drafted was: “Who? Why?!”

Really? He was incredible during that LSU run. Seemed like the perfect piece for that offense.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

There's always at least one guy on a loaded college offense that gets overrated come draft time and it was CEH's turn

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Really? He was incredible during that LSU run. Seemed like the perfect piece for that offense.

Because the Chiefs always find value at RB on day two. The likelihood you’re finding a world beater in round 1 is insanely low. Especially at 32. The chiefs aren’t even a run first offense, stack receiving talent and sign McKinnons all day in free agency

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
My thoughts at the time were mainly that it was a luxury pick. But also at the time the Chiefs were returning almost an entire super bowl winning team and I thought he'd be better than he has been, so I wasn't mad about it or anything.

It seems to have turned out unfortunately of course.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He had such a dominant side step in college and it just gets erased in the NFL. That was the one thing that I thought was going to make him Emmitt Smith and lol at that idea now.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

wandler20 posted:

Not claiming 100% accuracy but CEH hype was absurd to me at the time. One year wonder who needed one of the most electric college passing games in history to run against 1 in the box. Went to the combine and sucked a whole lot of rear end in the drills.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

The chiefs aren’t even a run first offense, stack receiving talent and sign McKinnons all day in free agency
I thought that was why everyone was calling it a home run, because CEH was billed as such a huge receiving threat out of the backfield, ran routes like a WR, etc...

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Diva Cupcake posted:

I thought that was why everyone was calling it a home run, because CEH was billed as such a huge receiving threat out of the backfield, ran routes like a WR, etc...

Yeah, that was my understanding too. Like he made too much sense for that offense.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He was also supposed to be really good in pass protection.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

This was what people who at least didn't totally hate the pick were thinking (I was one) , and they gave it the old college try his first season with 58 targets. I don't know why it hasn't worked, but it hasn't worked.

The second season they threw it to him way less and his yards per reception went down. I don't know, this is an eye test flow of the game thing that I can't prove. But it feels like they'll only throw him the ball when the offense is already humming rather than when they need to fool the other team to pick up a first down or something. Either way it's pretty underwhelming by stats or by watching games.

I mean it's only been two years, but you'd want them to work him in more instead of less into the passing game if he's part of the plan in his second year. Also there have been injuries involved I guess, it is possible that hip injury in his first year or the MCL last year messed him up more than we know. But I'm not holding my breath here waiting for him to shine.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 25, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm done with him. I've seen enough. He can do some good things with effort here and there but he's not a starter.

Is McKinnon not still on this team?

Why did Kareem Hunt have to be such a shithead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big fork small knife
Jan 23, 2006

https://twitter.com/pfn365/status/1507348492741713924?s=21

This would be dumb, right?