Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FCKGW posted:

iPad OShas a pretty long support life, even on entry level products. Don't buy more power than you need just for that. You could buy two regular iPads for the cost of one Air and double your longevity! Find out what you want to do with the device and buy to your needs. If your needs change and you need power just sell or trade-in what you have, Apple devices hold their value well.

iPad OS is "gimped" because the input methods are gimped. Out of the box there's no built in keyboard or precision mouse so the interface and workflow is built around using a single app at a time with just your finger. They expose more advanced functionality as you add more precision peripherals such as a mouse and keyboard but it's meant to be simple and easy to use by design. The iPad is the best computer Apple makes for people who hate computers.

What's a computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

~Coxy posted:

The base iPad is priced such that I wouldn't cross-shop a Pro just for longevity.

The A13 is the iPhone 11 chip though.

My only complaint with the iPad 9 is that missing that fourth gig of RAM can get annoying sometimes.
My iPhone 11 doesn't have as much of a problem keeping poo poo in memory.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What do you mean the volume buttons are reversed. Up is down and down is up?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's a computer?

That was actually a brilliant ad campaign and spoke to iPad's core audience of people who find computers too complicated and want a piece of technology to do basic tasks on the internet so of course nerds got upset and took the ad 100% literally.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FCKGW posted:

That was actually a brilliant ad campaign and spoke to iPad's core audience of people who find computers too complicated and want a piece of technology to do basic tasks on the internet so of course nerds got upset and took the ad 100% literally.

lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Xabi posted:

If you want peace of mind you should just look at the iPad as a big phone. If you need more, buy a MacBook.

The m1 was a pretty big update for nerdy power users. I’ve heard video editing is great though I haven’t done any myself. But music stuff is fantastic, I can load up a stack of six instruments each with a half dozen effects plugins and the processor barely peaks above 60%. Image editing in Lightroom is silky smooth too, to the point I prefer it over editing on my desktop.

Probably because the M1 is still pretty new, all apps are still targeting to run on 5 year old iPads so there is a lot of headroom right now.

For web browsing, video watching types I think it’s much harder to justify the cost of M1.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Xabi posted:

Who knows but iPadOS has been holding back the iPad for a long time already. When the iPad Pro got the M1 chip a lot of people speculated that things were about to change but we’ve seen nothing yet. I remember when I moved from the original Air 2 to the iPad Pro. I loved the new design but also realised “this is just like before, only a bit faster” and I almost regretted buying it.

If you want peace of mind you should just look at the iPad as a big phone. If you need more, buy a MacBook.

There are a couple lines (Windows vs our limited multitasking and you want file system you get the Files app and like it) Apple seemingly won't cross since yeah, they want to sell you 2 devices instead of 1- even if those devices are running the exact same SOC.

One potential bright spot is that the EU seems to be pretty hard charging to mandate sideloading apps. Maybe Apple will want to head that off to some degree in ipadOS 16 before potential App Stores that don't have the same "No replacing system functionality" rules start popping up.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/03/17/eu-sideloading-bill-coming-soon/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FCKGW posted:

It can run Safari in desktop mode and it runs Google suite, YouTube, and Netflix, what more does a computer need for most people?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

It can run Safari in desktop mode and it runs Google suite, YouTube, and Netflix, what more does a computer need for most people?

Yes, that’s my point. The iPad is a perfect “computer” for a huge amount of people.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I was agreeing, albeit in a roundabout way

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

I'm redoing my desk setup soon, and now that we have universal control I think it'd be really nice to give my iPad Pro a permanent mounted spot next to the Mac.

I was doing some research on stands, and I was surprised that there aren't any magnetic stands out there that can charge wirelessly (unless I missed one?). What I'd really like is basically just the magic keyboard without the keyboard part. Which got me thinking...maybe I can get a magic keyboard and lop off the keyboard, then attach a vesa mount to the magnetic charging part of the case.

I found this teardown video, and it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to separate the two halves of the case. My worry is that some of the charging bits are in the keyboard half. Kind of a long shot, but based on this video does anyone have any idea one way or the other whether charging would still work if the keyboard was detached?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdamWiUlt6Y

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 21, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m wondering the same thing because I’m using my air 4 as a monitor but I want it a bit higher up

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Magic Keyboards are $300, right?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is the iPad App Store hosed for anyone else after the outage this morning?

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m wondering the same thing because I’m using my air 4 as a monitor but I want it a bit higher up

This stand seems nice and sits fairly high up, maybe it'll work for you? I'll probably end up going with this one if I can't figure out the magic keyboard thing.

anothergod posted:

Yeah it's an excessive solution for sure. I'm only gonna try it if I can be reasonably sure that it'll work.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

anothergod posted:

Depends on the size and whether you can get them on sale. They occasionally go on sale for $199 for the 11 inch model, and they’re currently $249 on Best Buy. 12.9s are $349 at the moment.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I got my 12.9 Magic Keyboard for $199 from bestbuy open box.

They pop up every so often.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I definitely wouldn’t count on the keyboard doing anything once you’ve chopped it in half.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Thinking I might buy an iPad Pro today. If you buy an app on iOS, do you typically get the Mac version too?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Thinking I might buy an iPad Pro today. If you buy an app on iOS, do you typically get the Mac version too?

Generally no

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You can use the iPad app on the Mac if you have an M1 but it feels kinda jank

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

hatty posted:

You can use the iPad app on the Mac if you have an M1 but it feels kinda jank

In a lot of cases you can't run the app on a mac even if they don't offer a mac version, because the developer can explicitly disallow it and most of them do

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Clark Nova posted:

In a lot of cases you can't run the app on a mac even if they don't offer a mac version, because the developer can explicitly disallow it and most of them do

This seemed like a really exciting thing when they first announced it and then allowing the opt-out turned it into something I’ll never use for the reason you just said. :smith:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

Why?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Well, in the case of the paprika 3 recipe app, it's because the macos version is literally ten times the price.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm thinking about picking up the new iPad Air.

Does anyone know if you can get the EDU discount in store or online only? I have a trade in so I'd like to get it all done at the same time instead of waiting.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

My guess is they don't want to support another platform, i.e. making sure the UX is also good with a keyboard and mouse. Because you know people will start complaining/reviewing when things don't work work quite right on a Mac despite warnings that the app was designed only for iPad/iPhone. In general, big companies already had a separate team working on the desktop experience (a webapp in many cases), and want to make sure their users are receiving the ideal experience for their device. And as mentioned, for paid apps they might already have a separate MacOS revenue stream that they want to maintain (and may have Mac developers they need to pay in addition to their mobile developers).

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm thinking about picking up the new iPad Air.

Does anyone know if you can get the EDU discount in store or online only? I have a trade in so I'd like to get it all done at the same time instead of waiting.

If you’re actually a student or still have your student email then you can do it in store otherwise you gotta do it online. They ask for proof in store

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

:capitalism:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

hatty posted:

If you’re actually a student or still have your student email then you can do it in store otherwise you gotta do it online. They ask for proof in store

Good to know. I'm higher edu staff. I did actually get setup with Unidays when they required it in the US for all of 2 days. I do have my work ID as well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bought the iPad Pro.

Is there a thread for app deals and such? I looked in the Coupons subforum and didn't see anything.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Are app deals even really a thing any more? It seems all the good ones are free or free w/in app purchases or a subscription model.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Good point. I guess it would be more focused on games, but then again I'd probably get the actual good iOS game deals fed to me through Wario64.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Good point. I guess it would be more focused on games, but then again I'd probably get the actual good iOS game deals fed to me through Wario64.

There’s a thread here or in games for that.

I rarely game on my iOS devices. I have Apple Arcade and most games hold my attention for a few minutes at best.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What are the essential apps to get?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

What are the essential apps to get?

Awful app

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My essentials:

Chunky
Pocket Casts
VLC
Notability
Memrise
Crystal
Procreate

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
if you're interested in syncing files over an smb share for productivity, filebrowser pro is worth every penny, despite its incredibly generic name. does background sync unlike every other app I tried.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bottom Liner posted:

My essentials:

Chunky

Panels over Chunky any day of the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

101 posted:

Panels over Chunky any day of the week

Yeah? I mostly use it for PDFs and not CBRs but if it's better for both I'll try it.