Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

indigi posted:

drat it really sucks how most of America is forced to depend on cars

*government does something to help people during an economic crisis*

wow all these poors need to be bulldozed into the centralia fire
The problem is that the approach of bailing people out whenever their bad decisions result in a problem means that all the risks of buying a car with the worst possible mileage and living an hour away in a car dependent suburb are externalized and the government is effectively subsidizing (and encouraging) people to do that.

If the government bails people out the second gas prices go up, there is literally no need to consider fuel economy when you buy a car or what will happen if gas prices go up.

Something temporary like this might be okay if it was combined with a long term plan to get people into more fuel efficient cars and out of car dependent suburbs, but that's not what is happening. The government is just saying "don't worry about it; if there's a problem we'll take care of it for you". People will continue to move farther and farther away from work and the government will then have to work harder and harder to make sure that those people are insulated from their bad decisions.

This is even worse when we already need to be reducing carbon emissions.

Additionally, there are major housing shortages in most cities because of stupid zoning and people in the US have most of their net worth tied up in houses (and the government pursues policies which continue to make that worse). This means that people aren't going to be able to move closer to work which is the best solution in the long term. Just telling people "america is a country of cars so feel free to burn as much gas as you want on us" is incredibly stupid

We impose ridiculously excessive restrictions on poor people receiving welfare and other programs, ostensibly we're trying to get them working so they can get off the programs. But when it's richer people with multiple cars we just hand out money like candy with no strings attached without anything to incentivize people to start burning less gas. And oh no, if you criticize that you must be anti poor. What a loving joke.

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Mar 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
connecticut, arguably one of the states most damaged by car culture, just waived its gas tax lol

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/lawmakers-vote-to-suspend-state-gas-tax/2747024/

quote:

The Connecticut General Assembly passed a three-month suspension of the gas tax Wednesday.

The House approved the measure by a vote of 143 to 0. The vote in the Senate was 33-0.

Drivers are expected to start to see relief at the pump by April 1.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They have to pay for the roads somehow so I guess they'll just have to institute a $20/mile vmt tax for bicycles.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I feel like DMV fees should be 8-16 times higher for SUV / pickup truck drivers than for beta Honda Civic drivers like me. Since that's how much more their vehicles degrade the roads.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol premium in CA is >60 cents more than the next highest state atm, 6.21 in CA, 5.58 in NV

I use premium but I think the last time I filled up was three months ago

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

WaryWarren posted:

I feel like DMV fees should be 8-16 times higher for SUV / pickup truck drivers than for beta Honda Civic drivers like me. Since that's how much more their vehicles degrade the roads.

you could probably get the right wing to support this if you did it as a per lb. fee and framed it as an anti-EV thing lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Seems easier to just send that money to the oil & car companies and ask them to cut us a little break if it's not too inconvenient for them

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

this looks dumb but it would actually be great and lead to mass gas shortages + a thriving black market.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

love too respond to a simultaneous economic and climate crisis by throwing down subsidies to help the first crisis even if they'll make the second one worse

that is not the fault of poor workers

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

"corporate greed" as an explanation for increased gas prices is always kind of lacking. they weren't less greedy when prices were lower. like sure, it's true in a sense, but if you find yourself falling off a cliff is "gravity" a good explanation for why? it was still there when you were on the top of the cliff, that you jumped off seems like the more powerful explanatory factor.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

WaryWarren posted:

My tiny motorcycle that i could pick up if i wanted to has the same weight fee on the registration as the 4000lb grand marquis that i had for a while

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

indigi posted:

cool let's give "poor workers" money, seems like the more relevant class than "car owners"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Dog Case posted:

My tiny motorcycle that i could pick up if i wanted to has the same weight fee on the registration as the 4000lb grand marquis that i had for a while

France has a truly beautiful version of this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

distortion park posted:

cool let's give "poor workers" money, seems like the more relevant class than "car owners"

I know you already know this and just want to flex about how much you hate cars but this, too, is not the fault of poor workers, neither are car owners the only recipients of benefits under this bill

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

we must accelerate polluting the planet for poor people's sake

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

we must accelerate polluting the planet for poor people's sake

lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

indigi posted:

I know you already know this and just want to flex about how much you hate cars but this, too, is not the fault of poor workers, neither are car owners the only recipients of benefits under this bill

I did some maths (read the tweets) and it's more than 3x as much for the car owners. I don't think that being a car (that's how they count, not by person) should be disqualifying to receive support for increased cost of living, only that it shouldn't be the main factor.

At least it's a cash grant and not like petrol vouchers or something even dumber.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if the vast majority of funding isn't going towards getting us off car dependence, it's a bad bill

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

distortion park posted:

I did some maths (read the tweets) and it's more than 3x as much for the car owners. I don't think that being a car (that's how they count, not by person) should be disqualifying to receive support for increased cost of living, only that it shouldn't be the main factor.

At least it's a cash grant and not like petrol vouchers or something even dumber.

I fully agree with this. they probably should just take the money and add a bunch of bus lines and make public and inter-city bus/rail transit free (ideally forever)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
gotta get cars off the road if we're gonna alleviate these problems for anyone, cheaper gas doesn't matter if all the cars are stuck in a traffic jam.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

indigi posted:

no poo poo dude. it is the fault of our deep national addiction to cars, and for every dime that's going towards addressing it there's another dollar going towards deepening that addiction

Electro-Boogie Jack has issued a correction as of 19:08 on Mar 24, 2022

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

gotta get cars off the road if we're gonna alleviate these problems for anyone, cheaper gas doesn't matter if all the cars are stuck in a traffic jam.

It's a good thing California is offering an extra $400 rebate on your new second car

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Doing it per car is just about the stupidest possible way it could have been done.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

leftist heap posted:

Doing it per car is just about the stupidest possible way it could have been done.

If a car can't get a rebate that's discrimination

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One car, one vote

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
just saw someone on Twitter describe it as universal basic income for cars

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
banks and cars were bailed out before the worker :thunk:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fitzy Fitz posted:

$400/car is the funniest loving thing. Why not pay people more the farther they live from work? Or the lower your MPG? How about a bonus payout if you don't carpool.

WaryWarren posted:

wow can’t believe the support for means testing inside this thread :ohdear:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Fuel efficient at any size

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

withak posted:

One car, one vote
dont give gavbot any ideas now

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Yeah it sucks that people with low income have to drive because our infra sucks rear end and they can't afford gas and everything is getting extremely expensive, sooooooooooooooooo why not just money instead of gas vouchers??? Give us agency to make our own decisions???

4real I'd be just fine with giving gas vouchers to car owners under a certain income level IF there was a concrete plan in place to improve public and mass transportation, put large cities on road diets, increase density, fix zoning, plant some goddamn plants and trees instead of concrete and manicured lawns, improve cycling infrastructure, etc etc etc.

but there's not, so gently caress gas vouchers. We are literally killing ourselves with cars and not just because of the environmental problems. Something's gotta give.

otherwise all we're doing is straight up guzzling the cum of the board members of corps like General Motors and Exxon, and letting it drip slowly down and lapping it right back up of the dirty floor like the animals we are.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

indigi posted:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

a_pineapple posted:

Yeah it sucks that people with low income have to drive because our infra sucks rear end and they can't afford gas and everything is getting extremely expensive, sooooooooooooooooo why not just money instead of gas vouchers??? Give us agency to make our own decisions???

4real I'd be just fine with giving gas vouchers to car owners under a certain income level IF there was a concrete plan in place to improve public and mass transportation, put large cities on road diets, increase density, fix zoning, plant some goddamn plants and trees instead of concrete and manicured lawns, improve cycling infrastructure, etc etc etc.

but there's not, so gently caress gas vouchers. We are literally killing ourselves with cars and not just because of the environmental problems. Something's gotta give.

otherwise all we're doing is straight up guzzling the cum of the board members of corps like General Motors and Exxon, and letting it drip slowly down and lapping it right back up of the dirty floor like the animals we are.

same reason landlords got rent relief during covid

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ArmZ posted:

same reason landlords got rent relief during covid

They were so concerned with the poors mishandling and touching relief money that there were massive scams from middle managers on up to ensure the poors weren’t fiscally irresponsible god forbid

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Magic Hate Ball posted:

yeah but have you taken the bus? it sucks! it comes so infrequently and it gets stuck in traffic and there aren't enough busses so i can't get to where i want to go. and you want more of that? pfeh!

Yo, gently caress busses. If it's not on rails, it's a car-brained excuse for public transit without creating capital improvements. Those busses that use the overhead lines are ok, I guess, but just build rails and close roads.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

Agreed.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

leftist heap posted:

why do you hate poor people!?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
lmao just handing out money because people own cars is a pretty appalling level of hell world

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao just handing out money because people own cars is a pretty appalling level of hell world
we have such sights to show you in the future. this is just the start

providing cheap oil to the masses is the modern divine right of kings to rule. we've already subsidizied frakking which has lost like $600 billion dollars and only made to happen through financial wizardry backed by the Fed. we're going to start printing money to pay people to buy gas, directly pay exxon and bp, and open up every last natural preserve we have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Xaris posted:

it’s completely true

car share poo poo is absolutely abysmal and once the 3 month honeymoon period when they were brand new and cheap was over, it all immediately dumpstered. like okay yeah cars are absolute dogshit yet there’s enough americans who can get away carfree 98% of the year but can’t break that 2% for various reasons and carshare sucks so bad it can’t even do that one function

Freddie’s experience with zip car is about norm now: https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/zipcar-sucks-and-so-does-app-world?s=r

Yep my car share highway deathmobile was a zip car. They're definitely not checked or maintained at all until a customer calls support and refuses to drive one due to safety reasons. Sharing cars to avoid unnecessary vehicle ownership is not a terrible idea in itself, but the profit motive results in a fleet of permanently under-maintained borderline dangerous cars. Moreso than most of the other cars on the road.