Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I have recently become a "hood angle doesn't matter just do what feels good" evangelist.
Granted, I have gone on the massively other direction, with a whopping 1° hood angle, due to angling them in so they look like Spinaci. But whatever feels good and feels fast, gently caress it, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Can I use this thread to solicit some advice about picking up babby's first bike? I mainly want to see if I'm missing any options, and if there's anything to avoid, particularly if I'm buying new.

I'm mainly going to be road/gravel riding for fun and fitness, as well as doing daily all-season commutes and around-town family visits out in the country. It's a six mile round trip to my MIL/FIL, and a twenty mile round trip to my SIL/BIL's house from mine. All on some pretty fun and well-maintained county roads. Every time I have to jump in my car just to see my niece I'm thinking "I could do this AND exercise".

My wife has a hybrid commuter (I think it's from Brooklyn Bicycle?) bike and we'll take these types of trips together. I tried her bike out and even though it's too small for me it was an absolute hoot just to be on a bike again. I can't really budget time/money to go particularly far down this hobbyist rabbit hole, but... I said that about cameras once.

So I guess my question is whether I should save the ~$400-500 between something like her bike: a Trek FX / any of these "hybrid" or "fitness" models from the major manufacturers, and the big step up to something like a Jamis Renegade A1 / Cannondale Topstone

Pretty hard cap on budget in the low $1,XXX range. I've really combed the used options in the area (sparse as gently caress inside of 50 miles) and I am just not confident enough to evaluate a potential lemon.

Anything else I should consider? I have a couple local shops that I'm going to go sit on stuff at but inventories are light considering *indicates world*

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

mite ride the bike tonite

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

31° hood angle seems like a lot.

I was surprised to learn it was this big an angle as well tbh, but both visually irl as well as in practice it "feels" nowhere near as extreme as I would've expected a 31 degree angle to be

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

mite ride the bike tonite

:hmmyes:

edit

whats a good angle as a starting point for installing levers on a drop bar

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Gunshow Poophole posted:

My wife has a hybrid commuter (I think it's from Brooklyn Bicycle?) bike and we'll take these types of trips together. I tried her bike out and even though it's too small for me it was an absolute hoot just to be on a bike again. I can't really budget time/money to go particularly far down this hobbyist rabbit hole, but... I said that about cameras once.

So I guess my question is whether I should save the ~$400-500 between something like her bike: a Trek FX / any of these "hybrid" or "fitness" models from the major manufacturers, and the big step up to something like a Jamis Renegade A1 / Cannondale Topstone

I'd try out a drop bar bike to see if you can deal with it off the bat. That'd give you more versatility.

But a disc braked hybrid without suspension fork (some trim of FX should fit the bill) is still a lot of bike and will have decent components, meaning it'll be pretty cheap to maintain in the long term.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

BraveUlysses posted:

whats a good angle as a starting point for installing levers on a drop bar

Parallel to top tube.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Is making the bottom of the lever even with the bottom of the bars not a thing anymore?

Edit: Next you're going to tell me bar height should be about comfort instead of just slamming your stem

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dog Case posted:

bar height should be about comfort instead of just slamming your stem

mods?!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dog Case posted:

Is making the bottom of the lever even with the bottom of the bars not a thing anymore?

Some drops curve all the way to the end. How do you define even?

Love to browse dongular drop bars right after work deploys website filtering.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

You stand back and eyeball it until it's most esthetically pleasing

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I think I've got pandemic induced brain damage and can't remember things anymore, what was the website with the rules about slamming your stem and positioning cranks for photos and everything

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Dog Case posted:

I think I've got pandemic induced brain damage and can't remember things anymore, what was the website with the rules about slamming your stem and positioning cranks for photos and everything

The Velominati rules? They are mostly satire though https://www.velominati.com/

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Yeah, they started as making fun of people and then enough idiots took it seriously that they started to as well.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

gohuskies posted:

The Velominati rules? They are mostly satire though https://www.velominati.com/

That's it, and yeah I know. I haven't paid attention to bike stuff for like 5 years, i don't know all the current bike jokes

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Dog Case posted:

Edit: Next you're going to tell me bar height should be about comfort instead of just slamming your stem

Higher, narrower, and longer is faster than slammed.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Dog Case posted:

This is basically the correct way to build anything

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
https://philthethrill.net/the-new-rules-of-cycling-aka-philuminati/

Chiller version of The Rules

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I like Phil

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

quote:

Rule #1: Everyone riding a bike and being safe and having fun is doing it right.

unlike the other set of rules I am immediately able to recognize this as satire

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Time posted:

I like Phil

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Filippo Pozzato posted:

Rule #1: Only God Can Judge You.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Dog Case posted:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
https://twitter.com/motorists/status/1507137723542474759?t=LWeUMbvY0MJaYVt995yvqg&s=19

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What about White History Month?!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

*photo of massive car-only infrastructure extending beyond the horizon* is BIG BICYCLE trampling your rights?!

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

sweat poteto posted:

Fabric scoop radius all day long

I like riding in the drops at least 50% of the time, and I see the scoop radius is more for upright riding.

That an issue?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kimbo305 posted:

What about White History Month?!

:qqsay:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Head Bee Guy posted:

I like riding in the drops at least 50% of the time, and I see the scoop radius is more for upright riding.

That an issue?

Nope, I'm assuming that refers to it having a fraction more squish than the racier models. A few years ago I did a 150+ mile ride on it, with much of the time spent in the drops or invisible-aero-bars.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I prefer the flat fabric scoop over the shallow or radius, and do have fairly low handlebars.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

NightGyr posted:

Welp, guess I need a new frame.

Got everything built up on the new frame, and added lights for good meaure. I'm in love.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Lookin nice as heck

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Nice job on the fender lines

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

NightGyr posted:

Got everything built up on the new frame, and added lights for good meaure. I'm in love.

Ok I know this frame is fine, and you were in a crash, and I get it, this is a great frame no issues with it.

But lol that you looked at that frame and were like "yeah, I'd buy another one of these". I'd be ordering custom exxxxtra large lugs.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 25, 2022

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kimbo305 posted:

He’s talking about the lever angle, not the bars.

For the bars themselves, you can make the endcap of the bars exactly vertical, same result.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Salt Fish posted:

Ok I know this frame is fine, and you were in a crash, and I get it, this is a great frame no issues with it.

But lol that you looked at that frame and were like "yeah, I'd buy another one of these". I'd be ordering custom exxxxtra large lugs.

I see a decent number of hosed up or broken Wolverines, but not because they're fragile frames. It's because people who own them tend to ride them insanely loving hard, and a LOT.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I rode a v2 frame for years on chunky fire roads and such with no issues
Then sold it to buy a hard tail

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm not saying anything bad about the frames it's just the psychological effect of being in a crash.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

NightGyr posted:

mazel tov! Real nice that you managed to salvage the rims. Crashes like that tend to own a bunch of components for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wooger posted:

He’s talking about the lever angle, not the bars.
I didn't get that from "bottom of the lever."
So which line would the levers be parallel to??