Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Thats one thing that's really pissed me off about every time superman has appeared on screen since Brandon Routh.

Superman is supposed to be an idealized version of humanity. Like you said, he's a god amongst us, and what does he do with his unstoppable powers? He talks to teenagers who are thinking about self harm. He gets cats out of trees for old ladies. He's the ultimate boy-scout and that should never be considered a bad thing.

I am exhausted by dark and gritty reboots or stories that "deconstruct the genre". Give me something that ends well. That is happy, optimistic, hopeful. Like Superman should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Neito posted:

It's like how some of the best Batman moments, you can tell he never left that alley, and he's still ten minutes out of the Mask of Zoro, trying to figure out what his life is now.

One of the best things in the DCU adaptation of the Alan Moore Story "For the Man Who Has Everything" was change the perfect life that it showed Batman. In the original comic his dad stopped the mugger and he lives a normal happy life.

In the adaptation is was nothing but watching his dad beat up Joe Chill for all eternity.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

MuscaDomestica posted:

One of the best things in the DCU adaptation of the Alan Moore Story "For the Man Who Has Everything" was change the perfect life that it showed Batman. In the original comic his dad stopped the mugger and he lives a normal happy life.

In the adaptation is was nothing but watching his dad beat up Joe Chill for all eternity.

If I remember right Alan Moore actually allowed his name to be put on that episode because he liked it so much.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MuscaDomestica posted:

Sounds like his dad has no chill

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Push El Burrito posted:

If I remember right Alan Moore actually allowed his name to be put on that episode because he liked it so much.

IIRC it's like the one adaptation of one of his stories that he likes.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Thats one thing that's really pissed me off about every time superman has appeared on screen since Brandon Routh.

Superman is supposed to be an idealized version of humanity. Like you said, he's a god amongst us, and what does he do with his unstoppable powers? He talks to teenagers who are thinking about self harm. He gets cats out of trees for old ladies. He's the ultimate boy-scout and that should never be considered a bad thing.

I am exhausted by dark and gritty reboots or stories that "deconstruct the genre". Give me something that ends well. That is happy, optimistic, hopeful. Like Superman should be.

Zack Snyder's Justice League would be right up your alley then, as his ultimate sacrifice from BvS is what brings Batman back from the darkness to unite the world behind the strength of his actions and convictions. Hell, he doesn't feature in most of the film but the impact his actions had make waves throughout the world, so much so that his return in the suit leaves everyone who sees him pretty happy and relaxed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jedit posted:

It's not exactly a Superman story, but Straczynski's Supreme Power covers the ground. The Squadron Supreme was Marvel's take on the Justice League, with the characters Hyperion and Nighthawk who are respectively Superman and Batman. In Supreme Power Nighthawk is openly antagonistic to Hyperion, who he sees as an agent of the Man who also can't be trusted because he isn't truly human. Nighthawk himself, however, is an embittered reverse racist who at one point calls a fellow black hero something racially charged for being too friendly with their white colleagues. Nighthawk isn't wrong about Hyperion, whose humanity isn't much more than a veneer and who comes to see himself as the 800-pound gorilla, but he's the one who strikes out where Hyperion only ever strikes back. And it's definitely Hyperion's story.

And that just makes me think of The Authority where the Superman and Batman equivalents are explicitly a romantic gay couple.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Aces High posted:

Zack Snyder's Justice League would be right up your alley then, as his ultimate sacrifice from BvS is what brings Batman back from the darkness to unite the world behind the strength of his actions and convictions. Hell, he doesn't feature in most of the film but the impact his actions had make waves throughout the world, so much so that his return in the suit leaves everyone who sees him pretty happy and relaxed

I did see it, and it was the best of all the snyder supermans, but that he spent half the movie being moody as hell wasnt great.

To me that movie was about The Flash being wonderful, and enjoyed it for that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The other common complaint that I hate is that Superman is apparently incredibly boring because he's ultra invincible and "realistically" he should be able to just instantly solve every problem and punch all the bad guys so there's no stakes in any of his stories. Which really just sounds like those people have only been exposed to incredibly lovely Superman stories (or just made them up in their head).

It's especially funny from a meta-narrative perspective because oh, there's no excitement to any of it because you know Superman is gonna win by the end? Yeah, that's nothing like Batman. Or pretty much literally any other superhero story. Or fiction in general. :rolleyes:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Superman in the comics has a kid now and honestly it was pretty great seeing him try to be pa Kent. Also the kid was best friends with Batman’s kid and it was fun because Batman’s kid is an edge lied versus the more idealiistic John.

Then they aged John up which sucks

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I did see it, and it was the best of all the snyder supermans, but that he spent half the movie being moody as hell wasnt great.

To me that movie was about The Flash being wonderful, and enjoyed it for that.

Except for when he stole a hot dog. That's a crime.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

does the kid have powers

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Mescal posted:

does the kid have powers

Yeah. He's also bi.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Neito posted:

Yeah. He's also bi.

I didn't know that was a superpower.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Push El Burrito posted:

I didn't know that was a superpower.

It is in comic books. Also causes you to turn invisible on dating websites.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kwyndig posted:

I don't need to be bi to do that, for I am Extremely Ugly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've been seeing a trend on tiktok in the 'piss off a fandom with one sentence' genre that was basically 'piss off Marvel fans with one sentence'. Most answers to it were the kinda expected stuff like 'the MCU is mediocre at best' or 'Iron Man/Captain America/Spider-Man is a boring character to put your entire brand on', with some people going for deeper cuts like 'Fantastic 4 is way more interesting than X-Men for the 'side universe' stories' or some hot takes about certain current situations in comics canon.

Probably my favorite to it was one person going 'Marvel will never have a character remotely as iconic as Superman or Batman and every attempt to make a knockoff version shows why that's going to be true forever'. They went in more detail talking about how basically at best Spider-Man is closest to that and even then most fans don't really know his character deeper than 'quippy' while even the most casual person interested in western comics at least knows the 'Superman is the boy scout, Batman is prickly but has his own moral code' dynamic. Probably the best part though was the direct comparison between Hyperion and Superman.

Hyperion is Marvel's Superman, it's pretty overt and nobody really would get offended at that statement. He's an Eternal, came to earth as a baby, raised by humans, all that jazz. There are other characters that fit, Gladiator and Sentry mainly, but they have their own kinda weird baggage that makes the comparison less 1:1 and this is about that comparison so he's who to use. He's even got his own Justice League, Squadron Supreme.

The problem is Marvel's inherent world makes it impossible for him to 'do' the Superman act. One of the first modern Squadron Supreme stories was a loving revenge arc against Namor because of multiverse poo poo, and that's fine on its own, Namor's an anti-villain, it's kinda weird to have a revenge arc right away for your Not-JSA but yea whatever.

Hyperion ends the fight by LIFTING ATLANTIS and slamming it down again, causing massive death and damage to Namor's people. This led to a big dumb SHIELD vs Squadron Supreme because every Marvel story needs to involve the loving government funded Super Cops.

So why was the Not Justice League led by a guy who solves problems by tossing a city around? Well that's because they're an offshoot of a villain group, actually a villain group from multiple alternate timelines including one where Namor was a super hitler who killed a bunch of their people so that's why their first reaction to coming to the mainline universe was to avenge their people, and why it was okay for them to go buck wild on random Atlanteans, because a different version of those guys were bad.

You know how DC has like, the one universe where 'oh no everything's opposite, the Justice League are super-fascists who run the world??? What a crazy twist on things' is a cliche but it works because it's one splinter thing that very purposely plays on the norm of DC. Marvel's problem is they think that's a genuinely cool idea that needs to come up all the time forever, not just 'what if heroes...bad???' but the multiverse bullshit too. They can't tell 'human' stories because every five loving arcs someone has to be a clone construct from satan's mirror universe Earth-666.1, so no poo poo they can't focus on the inherent conflict between 'humanity' and all powerful characters like Superman. By the time they resolve how Superman would come to his values despite that conflict it's already time for Lois Lane to be revealed to be an alien plant homunculus from Earth-420 where she was actually a war criminal.

I don't know if they're still around but there's now Squadron Supreme of America, a super team made by Marvel's Satan (literally made, they're fake construct people he formed) because Agent Coulson sold his soul to get a magic item that let him send what was canon earth into a divergent timeline where The Avengers never happened and Squadron Supreme was America's main super team. They're bad, of course, because they're Satan constructs. I think Hyperion tried to kill Black Panther for not being pro-America enough in Wakanda? It sucks and unsurprisingly these characters barely come up, because they're shunted into their own timeline now.

All this rambling is to say that's why I think Superman can't age poorly and why Marvel ultimately...really loving does. It's not just the quality of the MCU or the inherent really weak politics in the 'actually we should let the super-cops do everything' and poo poo, that stuff doesn't help but it's not really the main issue. The main issue is Marvel treats the humanity of its universe as a boring thing, a thing the 'lower power' heroes have to overcome to be cool and worthy, a petty and mean and fundamentally useless part of their world that nobody wants to spend much time on. That's why Superman can't work for them, or Batman for that matter, because despite their powers and grimness and positions of massive power over the world as a whole they're defined so heavily by their humanity. Superman is nothing without Ma and Pa Kent, Batman is, as said already, still that crying kid in the alley, and their 'supporting characters' play to this. Superman loves poo poo like working at The Daily Planet, those people are his friends and they keep him grounded. Batman loves his Bat Family, even if they're all heroic types too they're also a found family, other broken people who want to do the right thing while keeping each other from falling too far. If you treat those characters as writing obstacles rather than core components you wind up with

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Woah now, only male bisexuals get that power.

Women get magnets that draw the worst people on the sites.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IDK I think Spider-Man's "uncle ben died. great power, great responsibility" stuff is about as well-known as Batman's origin. But yeah, I think at least prior to the MCU Spider-Man was the only Marvel character with the same level of cultural staying power as Superman/Batman.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think you could make an argument for the Hulk.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Woah now, only male bisexuals get that power.

Women get magnets that draw the worst people on the sites.

Yeah sorry about, my memory have holed the detestable practice of "unicorn hunting"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the X-men are up there even if most that comes from their lovely cartoon

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Neito posted:

Yeah. He's also bi.

It would make a better story if he didn't.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Thats a lot of words for "marvel and DC have different universes and tell different stories" tbh. Marvel will never have a superman or batman, but then again DC will never have a spider-man or X-men. Both companies have tried to copy the others successful characters with varying levels of success over the years, but they tell different stories in different ways so the characters are never going to fill the exact niche the equivalent does for the other company. Marvels "version" of Superman isnt Hyperion or Sentinel, its Captain America. He's the moral core of their superhero universe and 99% of the time the centre that holds their superhero team up team together, he's the character that most of the rest of the heroes look up to. Hyperion is an out and out pastiche of superman originally created as a villain for the sole purpose of letting the marvel heroes beat up the own brand justice league, and has never been a particularly important character for marvel, any more than Wild Dog (DCs punisher) has been for DC.

Marvel tell lots of "human" stories (or they did when I still read a lot of comics from the big two), you're just not going to find that in Squadron Supreme. Marvel and DC both use their superheroes to tell a wide range of stories, both companies have a lot of good and a whole lot of bad, and frankly to pretend otherwise is some nerd on nerd console war bullshit. Considering that in the modern era there is a whole lot of cross pollination between the talent in both companies its entirely ridiculous to pretend that a writer will spin gold for DC but as soon as they put pen to paper for a Marvel book the same writer is producing poo poo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Speaking of which characters are analogs of which, remember that there was a collab imprint between the two for about a year in the 90s called Amalgam where the universes merged for a bit and characters got all combined like Super Soldier (a fusion of Superman and Captain America) and Dark Claw (Batman and Wolverine) and so on. I don't think Spider-Man himself showed up, but the Ben Reiley clone got merged with Superboy I think.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Push El Burrito posted:

Kind of? The episode came out before he started asking companies to take his name off of works/adaptations he does not own (the first one of those was 2005's V for Vendetta, in part because of the lovely lawsuits/generally bad experience surrounding the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie), so he didn't really "allow" them to put his name on it any more than he allowed it on From Hell or LXG, he just hadn't asked anyone to remove his name yet.

As for his participation/response to the adaptation, all we've got to go on is Bruce Timm saying Moore "gave them his approval to adapt it" before production began, and a 2006 interview where Dwayne McDuffie (RIP) said "he liked it" with no elaboration.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Moore strikes me as the kind of guy who, if he hates it, will give you a 15 minute speech about everything that sucks, but if he likes it he’ll just tell you that and nothing else

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Moore strikes me as the kind of guy who, if he hates it, will give you a 15 minute speech about everything that sucks, but if he likes it he’ll just stroke his beard mysteriously and nothing else

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

christmas boots posted:

Moore strikes me as the kind of guy who, if he hates it, will give you a 15 minute speech about everything that sucks, but if he likes it he’ll just tell you that and nothing else

:hmmyes:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

that big effortpost about DC and Marvel probably looks a lot smarter if you actually don’t know much about either company other than what you read on Twitter

“yeah marvel has all these multiverses” they say as they quietly try to kick flashpoint and about six different Crises into a corner

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

what it actually boils down to and always has is that DC treats its heroes more like otherworldly forces that personify their concept, whereas marvel heroes focus more on human characterization and interactions

when DC tries to do stuff like that it sucks, every time, almost without exception. like the time the justice league covered up a rape, or the time superman decided to loving walk across america like that goon with the stroller in the desert

you’re never going to see a story about superman struggling to make rent

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rockman Reserve posted:

That's a shame, because I can picture it in my mind, one of the silly old-timey comics titles: "Can Clark Kent Make Rent?!"

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
on the contrary, there's probably some superdickery page out there dedicated to all the times superman was an rear end in a top hat landlord

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m imagining a cover where a laughing Superman throws a roll of bills into an incinerator while a weeping Jimmy Olson says, “Superman, that was my rent! Why are you trying to get me evicted?” and the cover text is something like “Super Slumlord?!” with the S in each word being the Superman s shield.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Mine's funnier because it rimes! :mad:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea there's absolutely an old superman where he has to become Jimmy's landlord and evict him or Lex Luthor will blow up the moon or something

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

to tie it back to the topic, the reason it seems like DCs heroes don’t age as poorly as Marvel’s is because they’re less people and more logos

like, every goddamn rear end in a top hat in DC has some kind of crest or emblem on their chest that they probably loving monologue about at least once a series. marvel has like, spider man, the fantastic four and the X-men using logos (and in the last ones case it’s more like a badge, really). dc has an entire international Batman Incorporated, half a dozen kryptonians with the S, Wonder Woman, about twenty different speedsters, half a dozen distinct Lantern Corps, just tons and tons of characters and organizations entirely defined by the oval on their boobies instead of anything actually approaching a human personality

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rockman Reserve posted:

what it actually boils down to and always has is that DC treats its heroes more like otherworldly forces that personify their concept, whereas marvel heroes focus more on human characterization and interactions

when DC tries to do stuff like that it sucks, every time, almost without exception. like the time the justice league covered up a rape, or the time superman decided to loving walk across america like that goon with the stroller in the desert

Hey Bob, Supe had a straight job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX4U6XWYvus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's a shame, because I can picture it in my mind, one of the silly old-timey comics titles: "Can Clark Kent Make Rent?!"

That's so stupid.

Okay wait, that's disturbing.

I don't mean he can Super Rob things. But he can't Super Stack Toilet Paper.

Maybe it is capitalism that is wrong.